North Carolina 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: North Carolina 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:11 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:54 pm
coda wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:28 pm just curious how did GT football got prepared to UNC lacrosse. That just doesnt make sense.
Many high dollar alums keep pointing to a title in 1990, their former SEC affiliation and the name Bobby Dodd as to why they should be on the same plane at UGA and Clemson. Every day of the week and twice in Sunday. The only pushback they ever hear is when my father in law takes me to the functions and I hit the open bar hard…
That is quite a leap. GT left the SEC in the early 60s. The SEC wasnt held in the same esteem then, as they are now. That is just an odd thing to bring up. Georgia Tech is small school (sub 20k). I dont think GT alums want to compare the infrastructure between GT and Georgia. Historically they are probably in the 25-30 area in college football. UNC is 5th in NCAA tournament appearances (33, situated between Cuse and Cornell). They have 5 NCs. If we are comparing UNC lax to football, I would say they are more like Texas or Tennessee. They are Blue Blood or at least right outside that line.
I can only speak as the son in law of a "ranked" athletics donor who's endowed a few atheltics scholarships and go to the funcitons for free booze with him and enjoy the theater of their misery. So when you say "I don't think GT alums want to...." I'm just telling you what the people (alums) who write 7 or 8 figure checks to the institution say in their own private parties. They won/shared a national championship with Colorado in 1990. Until UGA won this last year GT had a more recent national title than they did...

That and as a investment banker to community and regional banks covering 15 states at one point with HQs all over the country and me covering Little Rock to Lousiville to S FL to ultimately Maine I have traveled throughout the SE and taken most of these clients to every major football or BB event in the SE in the last 10-15yrs.

This is idiotic we have 20yrs of evidence that they aren't there. TX, TN and UGA didn't have 20yrs like this. There's some fans who are living in the past and making it seem much longer and moire robust than it was in spite of the actual evidence solely to make the case that they are right and that Breschi is defintely the ONLY reason they aren't doing better and before him everything was different.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Breschi and the coaches will have to work to get a lot more out of Dewey Egan next year.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

Has anyone else heard that JB is interviewing OC's? That would be a bad move if that is true. They need to make changes but that is not one of them
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The offense has been a lot worse than the defense as of late. I think getting an extension but then sacrificing up Metzbower would be a really, really bad look; but If I’m looking at changes that they should make, the offensive side of the field has been the issue. Not as good a unit as defense, and players seem to reach their potential more on that side of the ball than the offensive side.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

This past year I can slightly agree with you. Goldsmith getting a concussion in practice and Egan breaking a wrist hurt them. Plus their middies were lacking. However, how do you explain giving up close to 18 goals a game agains ND- UVA and Duke. Thats not on the offense. Those scores didnt come after prolonged offensive sets either. Just look at the last ND game or against UVA in the rain. They got lit up. Years past they won because they outscored the other team not because the D stopped them. When they lost in the semi's to UVA that was because of the D not being able to stop or even slow down UVA especially in the 2nd qtr
coda

Post by coda »

getitdone wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:04 pm This past year I can slightly agree with you. Goldsmith getting a concussion in practice and Egan breaking a wrist hurt them. Plus their middies were lacking. However, how do you explain giving up close to 18 goals a game agains ND- UVA and Duke. Thats not on the offense. Those scores didnt come after prolonged offensive sets either. Just look at the last ND game or against UVA in the rain. They got lit up. Years past they won because they outscored the other team not because the D stopped them. When they lost in the semi's to UVA that was because of the D not being able to stop or even slow down UVA especially in the 2nd qtr
JMHO. When I think of UNC, I think of the ride. Everything seems to come from that. When it is working and UNC is playing in chaos they are blowing out opponents. When it does not and UNC is forced to play 6 v 6, they are not very good.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Settled offense, something the OC plays a big part in, has been pretty painful to watch the last couple of years. The narrative coming out of 2022 was that they relied too much on Chris Gray and things might actually be better by spreading his responsibilities more evenly between the offensive players. Now I guess the problem is Metzbower apparently. Tbh, I do not believe any of that.

Will a high quality offensive coach want to come to UNC if they know Breschi is on the hot seat and might be gone in a couple of years?

Was taking a look at the incoming freshman class for 2024. Thought it was interesting there are only 2 listed midfielders in the class - Preis and Gabrielian. Both players were late commits that were poached from Bucknell and Villanova. Both players played attack this year at their respective high schools. I think it's emblematic of the way Breschi has recruited the past few years. Pretty good at recruiting attackmen. Terrible at recruiting middies.
getitdone wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:04 pm This past year I can slightly agree with you. Goldsmith getting a concussion in practice and Egan breaking a wrist hurt them. Plus their middies were lacking. However, how do you explain giving up close to 18 goals a game agains ND- UVA and Duke. Thats not on the offense. Those scores didnt come after prolonged offensive sets either. Just look at the last ND game or against UVA in the rain. They got lit up. Years past they won because they outscored the other team not because the D stopped them. When they lost in the semi's to UVA that was because of the D not being able to stop or even slow down UVA especially in the 2nd qtr
You also have to look at the possessions in some of these games to see the whole picture. It's true that the defense (really the entire team) got absolutely steam rolled by UVA in the rain. Gave up a lot of goals to ND, but there were other issues that gave Notre Dame a big possession advantage. UNC had 37 combined turnovers compared to Notre Dame's 22. All but a few of those turnovers were committed by the unproductive offense. 50-50 ground balls were also an issue in these blowouts. It is tough for me to heap too much blame on the defense when there are some pretty significant possession deficits in these losses.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They lost to UVA in that Final Four game because Krieg made 5 saves and wasn't seeing the ball at all. I remember on one goal he literally went the wrong way on the shot. Alex Rode meanwhile made 15 saves. 10 save difference. That's why UNC lost. UNC gave up 12 goals including only 3 in the 2H. That was the fewest number of goals UVA scored in that tournament. The defense played well.

In their final game against ND, ND put up 18 goals on 50 possessions. 36% off. efficiency. That was below ND's season average. As mentioned above, offense had 18 TOs and blew 4 clears. In the first ND game it was 16 goals on 41 possessions. 39%. About ND's season average. And UVA's 19 was 39.6%, below their season average. They held Duke to 31.2%, 15 goals on 48 possessions. I think it was clear the defense wasn't a top 5 unit in the country the way they were ranking early in the season, but ND/Duke/UVA had elite offenses that scored on pretty much everybody and UNC's defense held them relatively within check. But their opponents had tons of possessions due to UNC turnovers or FO losses. And the offense was unproductive in all of those games.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10 10 2 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:34 pm Settled offense, something the OC plays a big part in, has been pretty painful to watch the last couple of years. The narrative coming out of 2022 was that they relied too much on Chris Gray and things might actually be better by spreading his responsibilities more evenly between the offensive players. Now I guess the problem is Metzbower apparently. Tbh, I do not believe any of that.

Will a high quality offensive coach want to come to UNC if they know Breschi is on the hot seat and might be gone in a couple of years?

Was taking a look at the incoming freshman class for 2024. Thought it was interesting there are only 2 listed midfielders in the class - Preis and Gabrielian. Both players were late commits that were poached from Bucknell and Villanova. Both players played attack this year at their respective high schools. I think it's emblematic of the way Breschi has recruited the past few years. Pretty good at recruiting attackmen. Terrible at recruiting middies.
You also have to look at the possessions in some of these games to see the whole picture. It's true that the defense (really the entire team) got absolutely steam rolled by UVA in the rain. Gave up a lot of goals to ND, but there were other issues that gave Notre Dame a big possession advantage. UNC had 37 combined turnovers compared to Notre Dame's 22. All but a few of those turnovers were committed by the unproductive offense. 50-50 ground balls were also an issue in these blowouts. It is tough for me to heap too much blame on the defense when there are some pretty significant possession deficits in these losses.
Its that (this year’s) sophomore class that is so intriguing,
I think Breschi hit the mother lode with that class,
with all those Grad year players out of the way they can run the show - that freshman attackman from Maryland also.

Here’s hoping they don’t go overboard on transfers.
August

Post by August »

10stone5 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:47 pm
10 10 2 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:34 pm Settled offense, something the OC plays a big part in, has been pretty painful to watch the last couple of years. The narrative coming out of 2022 was that they relied too much on Chris Gray and things might actually be better by spreading his responsibilities more evenly between the offensive players. Now I guess the problem is Metzbower apparently. Tbh, I do not believe any of that.

Its that (this year’s) sophomore class that is so intriguing,
I think Breschi hit the mother lode with that class,
with all those Grad year players out of the way they can run the show - that freshman attackman from Maryland also.
UNC will finish last in ACC in 24. They do have excellent talent: Demarco, Schwarz, Egan, English, Pietramala, Kreig, Breschi... but not enough to make up for losses, the individual skills never seem to improve there, likely new AC or DC coaching, etc. ... They are always in re-build mode and seems like its just not working there...
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Looks like Metzbower is done.
https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 7391937536

Hard to be happy with the offense the last couple of seasons, but Metzbower played a big part in the success of the 2016 and 2021 teams, and has accumulated a bunch of championship rings over his career. Wont be easy filling his shoes.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

This was in the works for a while. Breschi has a three year deal. Who is going there knowing they have a short time to clean things up?
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

Hopefully someone with confidence in their ability to bring a fresh perspective and energy. The claim is that there is already talent present but again claimed lack of performance and development. Some offensive coordinator will believe that with the support, tradition, and desire of UNC to reverse their present trajectory that the UNC OC position is a great opportunity. Whoever takes the job will have a lot of attention, support, and opportunity to prove their merit. Helping UNC would be a great stepping stone for a HC opportunity.
August

Post by August »

Breschi just sacrificed his Colonel to save his own rear-end. 9 years of service and some significant successes. Strong leaders accept the blame and the consequences of failure, and at UNC there has been plenty of shortcomings. Last game I watched, Breschi was still calling the timeouts. This is NOT on Metzbower. Until UNC gets a leader that has better character as HC, 5th place it will be. Good luck to the players and staff. They all deserve better.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

August wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:32 pm Breschi just sacrificed his Colonel to save his own rear-end. 9 years of service and some significant successes. Strong leaders accept the blame and the consequences of failure, and at UNC there has been plenty of shortcomings. Last game I watched, Breschi was still calling the timeouts. This is NOT on Metzbower. Until UNC gets a leader that has better character as HC, 5th place it will be. Good luck to the players and staff. They all deserve better.
So Breschi should have stepped down so that he and Metzbower could both be out?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

August wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:32 pm Breschi just sacrificed his Colonel to save his own rear-end. 9 years of service and some significant successes. Strong leaders accept the blame and the consequences of failure, and at UNC there has been plenty of shortcomings. Last game I watched, Breschi was still calling the timeouts. This is NOT on Metzbower. Until UNC gets a leader that has better character as HC, 5th place it will be. Good luck to the players and staff. They all deserve better.
One thing people don't say about Joe is that he has no character - just the opposite.
molo

Post by molo »

Agreed, criticize his strategy all you want, but I’ve never heard anyone cast aspersions on his character.
August

Post by August »

Yeah, send him out to a recruiting event representing UNC, with all his colleagues, and humiliate him on the road. At least Metzbower stayed and fulfilled his duties, gave a recruiting talk, and was a man. JB is a mile wide and an inch deep, nice to your face, fun guy, says all the right things, can sell ketchup to a tomato. Takes credit for others work and kindness and deflects blame and failures. Its why the country is divided by givers and takers.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Add me to the lost of those who have never heard of a character issue with Joe. Someone seems to have a jones
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:34 pm Add me to the lost of those who have never heard of a character issue with Joe. Someone seems to have a jones
Plus, the 2016 UNC lacrosse locker celebrations were terrific.

https://twitter.com/UNCMensLacrosse/sta ... nsLacrosse

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”