Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Cooter wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:54 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 pm
Do you know what the basis was for the movement from Fall to now? How visible were these players during their Spring seasons? Were the games televised or did the IL staff get game film to evaluate players?
I don't really know what the basis is. The underlying basis is supposedly a prediction of success at the D1 level.

Ward Melville (Pallonetti) was in a televised tournament with games on Saturday and Sunday.
Calvert Hall (Sawyer) had a number of games on youtube.
Salisbury school came down for a post-season tmt in the D.C. area.

I guessing Sherrer and Brennan were least visible. Although Sherrer has his senior highlights up on youtube, as does Brennan - and Brennan was at the U-19 tryouts.
Thanks. It’s a good class. I look forward to seeing them. My opinion is that the Terps will be very good this year. Despite the record, I didn’t think last years team was great. A little step back to take a big step forward this year. Very dangerous team.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:22 am
Thanks. It’s a good class. I look forward to seeing them. My opinion is that the Terps will be very good this year. Despite the record, I didn’t think last years team was great. A little step back to take a big step forward this year. Very dangerous team.

I think Maryland's offense was one of its best this century, but the defense was far from being shut-down and the face-offs were inconsistent. This seemed to lead to some big runs for opponents.

So with respect to the recruiting class, having a highly ranked FOman in Calderone seems like a big plus, but lacking a highly ranked defenseman seems like a minus.
Live Free or Die!
Typical Lax Dad

Cooter wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 am

I think Maryland's offense was one of its best this century, but the defense was far from being shut-down and the face-offs were inconsistent. This seemed to lead to some big runs for opponents.

So with respect to the recruiting class, having a highly ranked FOman in Calderone seems like a big plus, but lacking a highly ranked defenseman seems like a minus.
Time will tell. Good luck. Defense could be the schemes. I didn’t look that closely.
Paterp

Post by Paterp »

Cooter wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 am

Thinking Gill will be better than any highly ranked defensiveman would be.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Paterp wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:16 pm
That would be a plus, although I believe Grill has only 1 year of eligibility left. Jack Welding is a senior also. So it would be nice to see one of the younger players, like perhaps Jack DeSantis, get on the field a little more this Spring.
Live Free or Die!
Typical Lax Dad

Cooter wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:47 pm
Paterp wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:16 pm
That would be a plus, although I believe Grill has only 1 year of eligibility left. Jack Welding is a senior also. So it would be nice to see one of the younger players, like perhaps Jack DeSantis, get on the field a little more this Spring.
I completely forgot about DeSantis. I know his mother and his uncle. Hope he has a chance to play and plays well. I will root for him.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Dylan Pallonetti's drop from #9 to #44 seems rather notable.
It leads to the thought of, "if you (I.L.) admit to being so far off last fall, why should I believe you now?".
Of course, there was some indecision on Pallonetti on Long Island also, where Newsday named him Suffolk Player of the year, while he was only named an Honorable Mention All-American.

As I mentioned above his scoring seemed a bit down. According to the UA AA listing Pallonetti scored 48 goals, with 15 assists and 55 ground balls. That is a total of 63 points.

There are perhaps reasons for this. Ward Melville lost two of their better players, Grillo and Hobbes, to graduation the previous season, which probably allowed teams to focus on Pallonetti more. Ward Melville plays in the relatively strong A league in Suffolk, and tends to play a defensive style, they scored 184 goals in 19 games.

Pallonetti's senior highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE-NlaSzYvs

In the end, I think I will play the average with Pallonetti and consider him like a #26 recruit. I see a lot of potential in his speed and quickness with a big, left-handed shot.
Live Free or Die!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Cooter wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:24 pm Dylan Pallonetti's drop from #9 to #44 seems rather notable.
It leads to the thought of, "if you (I.L.) admit to being so far off last fall, why should I believe you now?".
Of course, there was some indecision on Pallonetti on Long Island also, where Newsday named him Suffolk Player of the year, while he was only named an Honorable Mention All-American.

As I mentioned above his scoring seemed a bit down. According to the UA AA listing Pallonetti scored 48 goals, with 15 assists and 55 ground balls. That is a total of 63 points.

There are perhaps reasons for this. Ward Melville lost two of their better players, Grillo and Hobbes, to graduation the previous season, which probably allowed teams to focus on Pallonetti more. Ward Melville plays in the relatively strong A league in Suffolk, and tends to play a defensive style, they scored 184 goals in 19 games.

In the end, I think I will play the average with Pallonetti and consider him like a #26 recruit. I see a lot of potential in his speed and quickness with a big, left-handed shot.
Heh. Yes, Suffolk A is relatively strong. So is the Big 10.
Typical Lax Dad

Cooter wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:24 pm Dylan Pallonetti's drop from #9 to #44 seems rather notable.

Long Island is under represented when it comes to AA designation.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:25 am

Heh. Yes, Suffolk A is relatively strong. So is the Big 10.
I don't know how much Pallonetti will play this Spring as the Terps have a number of other talented players looking to fill the open space on the offense and the 2nd midfield, but Big 10 teams will probably be focusing on stopping Bernhardt, Wisnauskas, Fairman, and A.DeMaio.

This past Spring the Terps went with Will Snider as their 3rd midfielder on the first line. While Snider is fast, he really didn't show that big of a shot and eventually got replaced by Kyle Long. Looking at Pallonetti's big shot, as a Terp fan, one sort of wonders what if we had had his big shot out there instead. (N.DeMaio also has a pretty strong shot.) One could also envision Pallonetti getting isolated on an ssdm, and just needing that one quick move to unload his shot.
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

So Navy has released their schedule. Feb 22 at Maryland
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

New recruit

Chase Mullins FO; IL has as a 5 star, #7 rank

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/47980
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:16 pm New recruit

Chase Mullins FO; IL has as a 5 star, #7 rank

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/47980
From St.Christopher's school in Richmond. Sounds good.

#7 is a nice ranking. Although Ty Xanders' rankings really shift around from year-to-year. They can shift by 26, even 36 places from one fall to the next. That is not even counting the real shift, that occurs when a recruit goes on to be a player.
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

New recruit from IL

Zach Whittier '21, A, Georgetown Prep (Md.) has committed to @TerpsMLax. Tough lefty finisher who posted 31 goals for the Little Hoyas; recently switched to @MADLAX1 but missed the club circuit due to a broken wrist:
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:54 pm New recruit from IL

Zach Whittier '21, A, Georgetown Prep (Md.) has committed to @TerpsMLax. Tough lefty finisher who posted 31 goals for the Little Hoyas; recently switched to @MADLAX1 but missed the club circuit due to a broken wrist:
Seems like Tillman might have a higher opinion of Whittier than Xanders does.
31g, 11a seem like good numbers for a sophomore against tough competition.
Live Free or Die!
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Cooter wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:47 pm
AreaLax wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:54 pm New recruit from IL

Seems like Tillman might have a higher opinion of Whittier than Xanders does.
31g, 11a seem like good numbers for a sophomore against tough competition.
It's so hard to project how some of these players will develop. His IL eval doesn't paint a picture that matches with his productivity at Prep as a sophomore. Saw Prep play twice last season, but I couldn't really tell you anything about him. He didn't stand out. It will be interesting to see how he physically develops because that seems to be what is reflected in his IL eval right now.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Thomas O'Connell who graduated last year is doing a graduate year at St. John’s University and will play on the basketball team
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

There is some discussion down on the CHSAA thread on the HS forum that Terp 2020 recruit Michael O'Connell, due to some new eligibility considerations in the CHSAA, has transferred to Blair academy in NJ.
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Captains Bernhardt Fairman Wisnauskas and Puglise - three Jr’s

Media day at practice. From what I saw tweeted out Tillman confirms UVA game is at home

Oct 5th Sat 2 PM - Alumni vs Current Team
Last edited by AreaLax on Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”