NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxdad1434

Re: NESCAC

Post by laxdad1434 »

Asgot wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:58 am
laxdad1434 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:49 am
TucoBPJMRamirez wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:32 pm
Can Opener wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:34 amI would not be surprised, however, to see him grab some transfers from D1 guys who now realize that they are too far down the depth chart to see the field. If I'm the #6 attackman at a losing Patriot League, NEC or AE program and have the chance to upgrade academics/prestige/career opportunities while playing in the best D3 league in the country, I am all ears.
This made me chuckle. The contributors on the top NESCAC squads all turned down PL/NEC/AE offers back in high school. Picking up refugees from DI bottom-feeders won't move the needle for Colby (even if they can somehow navigate the 2.5% transfer acceptance rate).
"D1 Bottom feeders" would beat Colby by 20 goals with a running clock. D1 rosters are loaded with very good players that may never see significant time until their JR/SR year. If those players were excepted at Colby(doubtful), it would certainly improve the program. Let's see what happens.
Colby may be a bad example but the top 10 teams in D-3 could play with many of the bottom D-1 schools and I have seen D-1 kids transfer down and struggle to play at better D-3 schools. Schhols St. John's and Umass-Lowell would lose totop teams even teams with wins like NJIT would lose to the top teams in D-3. Depth really does not matter at that point, as the top kids at the D-3 school would be more talented. We saw this a couple of years ago when Tufts hammered Dartmouth.
Colby is the subject, not an example. NJIT would beat Colby by 20, easy. Tufts, Salisbury, CNU, RIT are a different story.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Trinity picked up three D1 transfers this year from Bryant, Rutgers and UMBC. Stevens, Salisbury, RIT and Babson have all been active in the portal, grabbing D1 guys.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2023/61686
I have no idea how difficult it is to transfer into Colby, but given the recruiting calendar, if I were Bernhardt I would have pushed hard in the interview process for a commitment to free up some transfer admissions slots. The cupboard is a little bare up there right now. If he has to wait for the HS class of '25 to begin playing as freshmen in the spring of '26, this will be a long, slow build. Of course he will try do more with less in the meantime by coaching up the current roster. Wishing him the best in putting Colby on the map.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:20 pm Trinity picked up three D1 transfers this year from Bryant, Rutgers and UMBC. Stevens, Salisbury, RIT and Babson have all been active in the portal, grabbing D1 guys.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... 2023/61686
I have no idea how difficult it is to transfer into Colby, but given the recruiting calendar, if I were Bernhardt I would have pushed hard in the interview process for a commitment to free up some transfer admissions slots. The cupboard is a little bare up there right now. If he has to wait for the HS class of '25 to begin playing as freshmen in the spring of '26, this will be a long, slow build. Of course he will try do more with less in the meantime by coaching up the current roster. Wishing him the best in putting Colby on the map.
Yep
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:39 am Mason Kohn, a Tufts ‘23 graduate, has been named a captain for the Syracuse Men’s Lacrosse Team. Incredible honor for the kid.

Really hope he succeeds grueling ACC schedule.
That is an incredible honor, good for him. He was captain of the Tufts hockey team and a really important leader on its lacrosse team (only played 2 years), so obviously does a lot of things right. Also, he had an injury to his hand/wrist in September when I last saw him and couldn't practice, so he must have really excelled in the limited practice time that he had.
TucoBPJMRamirez

Post by TucoBPJMRamirez »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:20 pm I have no idea how difficult it is to transfer into Colby ...
https://www.campusreel.org/how-to-trans ... t%20scores.

Less-selective NESCACs/schools can scrabble for all the transfers they want. Colby, on the other hand, appears unwilling to sacrifice its admissions standards/reputation at the alter of DIII lacrosse.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

TucoBPJMRamirez wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:44 am
Can Opener wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:20 pm I have no idea how difficult it is to transfer into Colby ...

Less-selective NESCACs/schools can scrabble for all the transfers they want. Colby, on the other hand, appears unwilling to sacrifice its admissions standards/reputation at the alter of DIII lacrosse.
True, but that doesn't mean it won't change. Unless, Bernhardt is content with coaching a bottom/middle of the conference team, things will need to change with the athletics admissions.
TucoBPJMRamirez

Post by TucoBPJMRamirez »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:46 am

True, but that doesn't mean it won't change. Unless, Bernhardt is content with coaching a bottom/middle of the conference team, things will need to change with the athletics admissions.
Will they? Or will Berhardt only need to coach and recruit more like Mason/Campbell/Woods and less like GVA/Lasagna/Barnard?
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

TucoBPJMRamirez wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:27 am

Will they? Or will Berhardt only need to coach and recruit more like Mason/Campbell/Woods and less like GVA/Lasagna/Barnard?
We shall see after 12/1.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

laxdad1434 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:58 am
TucoBPJMRamirez wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:27 am

We shall see after 12/1.
Something to be said for the game within the game that is admissions at your selective institutions. I wonder how daunting that is for a new HC to navigate the first time/overall. It's gotta be wrought with entrenched personalities, opinions, and politics, in addition to the procedures. Every college deals with admissions and financial aide, but man, that's just a lot to adjust to coming in.
HighBouncersGo

Post by HighBouncersGo »

Word out of Clinton, NY is that Perotto '24 has had a good fall. He has an explosive first step and can bury the ball in any corner he likes. Might be a long shot, but he's one of my dark horses to land on a All Nescac team this spring.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

NNELax wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:13 pm Wow! Hats off to coach McCormack....guy has been doing it the right way for a long time and mentored a TON of guys that are all over the coaching landscape...Hopefully the Ephs can send him out in style..

We are only months away from the jealous chirps about coaching footwear and sideline antics!
Can't forget the most fun activity of all: reading lectures from grown men who feel the need to tell everyone just how big mad they get when they think a tweet isn't #classy enough.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

I think that it is all relative in regards to the NESCAC. First off, there are NESCAC schools with very low acceptance rates which in some respects can be attributed to driving applications. In addition, to the extent that a NESCAC is offering a slot to a recruited athlete, they are likely offering that spot to a student athlete who probably would not have been admitted but for athletics. So notwithstanding a particular school's selectivity, by offering that slot, they are, to a certain extent, sacrificing their own admissions standards. For example, and this is not a knock on any school, if Williams accepts a B-band athlete, it is the equivalent of Trinity accepting B-band athlete. Sure, the Williams kid may have better academic credentials that the Trinity kid, but both schools are likely lowering their admissions standards.
Laxwizard

Post by Laxwizard »

HighBouncersGo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:57 pm Word out of Clinton, NY is that Perotto '24 has had a good fall. He has an explosive first step and can bury the ball in any corner he likes. Might be a long shot, but he's one of my dark horses to land on a All Nescac team this spring.
These types of posts are my favorite part of this forum. Hell yeah! Go random Hamilton Sr. hoping to make a huge splash this year! I hope you get 1st team all NESCAC for sure. Kids like this deserve all the glory. LFG.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

Laxwizard wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:08 am
HighBouncersGo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:57 pm Word out of Clinton, NY is that Perotto '24 has had a good fall. He has an explosive first step and can bury the ball in any corner he likes. Might be a long shot, but he's one of my dark horses to land on a All Nescac team this spring.
These types of posts are my favorite part of this forum. Hell yeah! Go random Hamilton Sr. hoping to make a huge splash this year! I hope you get 1st team all NESCAC for sure. Kids like this deserve all the glory. LFG.
Ha!! Reported as if it was some hot take from ESPN affiliate out of Clinton.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

ah23 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:02 pm
NNELax wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:13 pm Wow! Hats off to coach McCormack....guy has been doing it the right way for a long time and mentored a TON of guys that are all over the coaching landscape...Hopefully the Ephs can send him out in style..

We are only months away from the jealous chirps about coaching footwear and sideline antics!
Can't forget the most fun activity of all: reading lectures from grown men who feel the need to tell everyone just how big mad they get when they think a tweet isn't #classy enough.
:lol: I wanna see what socks he’s rocking with each set. Little “pairing” suggestions and the like. Give the people what they want…
Unknown Participant

shorelax12 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:21 am

I think that it is all relative in regards to the NESCAC. First off, there are NESCAC schools with very low acceptance rates which in some respects can be attributed to driving applications. In addition, to the extent that a NESCAC is offering a slot to a recruited athlete, they are likely offering that spot to a student athlete who probably would not have been admitted but for athletics. So notwithstanding a particular school's selectivity, by offering that slot, they are, to a certain extent, sacrificing their own admissions standards. For example, and this is not a knock on any school, if Williams accepts a B-band athlete, it is the equivalent of Trinity accepting B-band athlete. Sure, the Williams kid may have better academic credentials that the Trinity kid, but both schools are likely lowering their admissions standards.
My experience is that most athletes (assuming a 12 person recruiting class) are A band and would be able to be admitted without a slot, although being able to be admitted is not equivalent to having a recruited slot that basically guarantees admission. A few are B who would have difficulty getting admitted (assuming a white male) with maybe 1-2 Cs who would almost certainly not be admitted (again assuming a white male).
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:26 pm

My experience is that most athletes (assuming a 12 person recruiting class) are A band and would be able to be admitted without a slot, although being able to be admitted is not equivalent to having a recruited slot that basically guarantees admission. A few are B who would have difficulty getting admitted (assuming a white male) with maybe 1-2 Cs who would almost certainly not be admitted (again assuming a white male).
Agreed, with exceptions, but everything is relative in the NESCAC in that an A-band for Williams is not an A-band for Trinity, so when the prior poster suggests that Colby wouldn't sacrifice its standards to get those transfer kids like Trinity, for Trinity it may not be seen as compromising their academic standards. Either way, no school in the NESCAC is straying very far away from their own admissions standards to admit an athlete.
Unknown Participant

shorelax12 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:30 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:26 pm

Agreed, with exceptions, but everything is relative in the NESCAC in that an A-band for Williams is not an A-band for Trinity, so when the prior poster suggests that Colby wouldn't sacrifice its standards to get those transfer kids like Trinity, for Trinity it may not be seen as compromising their academic standards. Either way, no school in the NESCAC is straying very far away from their own admissions standards to admit an athlete.
Agree on the distinction. I am also a big follower of Nescac hockey and Trinity is the clear powerhouse, presumably, because of its ability to get more B and C band kids. Can't seem to translate it to lax however.
Last edited by Unknown Participant on Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Unknown Participant wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:44 pm Agree on the distinction. I am also a big follower of Nescac hockey and Trinity is the clear powerhouse, presumably, because of its aility to get more B and C band kids. Can't seem to translate it to lax however.
Football as well ...
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

smoova wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:36 pm
Unknown Participant wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:44 pm Agree on the distinction. I am also a big follower of Nescac hockey and Trinity is the clear powerhouse, presumably, because of its aility to get more B and C band kids. Can't seem to translate it to lax however.
Football as well ...
As this relates to lacrosse, I can definitely see more of a connection with football. My impression is that many schools bring in dual-sport athletes (football/lax) through the football program in order to preserve spots for the lax only kids.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”