NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
choochooCharlie

Re: NESCAC

Post by choochooCharlie »

RamsFan wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:51 pm So much for the naysayers questioning Boyden's potential contribution to UVa's offense (from Inside Lacrosse):

"The Cavaliers reached 17 goals without two-thirds of their expected starting attack. In their stead, redshirt sophomore Thomas Mencke, starting in the lefty spot, scored six goals. Senior Jack Boyden, playing primarily on the right, also scored six goals. The third starter, freshman McCabe Millon, finished with one assist"

There are a few other D1 teams that come to mind (UNC, UMich, UD?) that haven't seen memorial day in a while that should maybe figure out what Swank and Brun are up to now and get them on the roster before spring.....
… I must’ve missed all the naysayers.

Anyways, Bruun is playing for Ohio State….
RamsFan

Post by RamsFan »

choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:00 pm

the naysayers I saw werent in the d3 thread :)

will be good to see how he does in B10
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

RamsFan wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:51 pm So much for the naysayers questioning Boyden's potential contribution to UVa's offense (from Inside Lacrosse):

"The Cavaliers reached 17 goals without two-thirds of their expected starting attack. In their stead, redshirt sophomore Thomas Mencke, starting in the lefty spot, scored six goals. Senior Jack Boyden, playing primarily on the right, also scored six goals. The third starter, freshman McCabe Millon, finished with one assist"

There are a few other D1 teams that come to mind (UNC, UMich, UD?) that haven't seen memorial day in a while that should maybe figure out what Swank and Brun are up to now and get them on the roster before spring.....
Hear! Hear!
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

Raba back for grad year at Wesleyan.
Irishdad1968

Post by Irishdad1968 »

RamsFan wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:32 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:00 pm

the naysayers I saw werent in the d3 thread :)

will be good to see how he does in B10
He’s definitely got the mass to play in the B10. Probably needs to slim down if he wants to be in game shape. Maybe put some more lean meat and less fast food in the diet…
bantamslayer

Post by bantamslayer »

UH-OH! WATCH OUT NESCAC #rollwhips
BronzeMooseLaxDad

Post by BronzeMooseLaxDad »

Breaking News: Per multiple sources the Mules are back. #LetsGetBusy
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Objects in rear view mirror may be closer than they appear.
RhinoEph

Post by RhinoEph »

Bernhardt married the UVM Associate Head Coach for field hockey. She was an amazing coach and recruiter. I wonder if they are going as a package deal?
lilax

Post by lilax »

Will Colby actually support their program now?

(Ex. More admissions slots to recruit better players)
smoova

Post by smoova »

I think Barnhardt is a good hire by Colby - young, aggressive and knows what it takes to win at a high level. Based on Colby's history with coaches, he will have a virtually unlimited runway to success, which is good, since it may not come quickly. He's missed all of the 10 allotted fall 2023 practices, so he won't be working with the team until early February. His first recruiting class on campus will be 2025 HS graduates. GVA didn't leave the cupboard completely bare, but Colby does not have the same top-end talent or depth as most of the NESCAC. As @lilax correctly noted, the real question is how liberal the school will be with Berhardt's admissions juice. Giving him 4-5 slots and 5-6 tips in each of his first 3-4 classes will allow him to fix things in a hurry.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

First time visiting Colby's athletics website this morning. Never really had a reason to. The HAARC. O.M.G. Incredible.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

MVPiccoli wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:19 am First time visiting Colby's athletics website this morning. Never really had a reason to. The HAARC. O.M.G. Incredible.
It is pretty jaw-dropping, especially for a school of only 2,300 students.
https://colbyathletics.com/sports/2020/ ... ion-center

Bernhardt has many of the raw materials required to build a winning program, but he will need some help from admissions to be successful. The issue for Colby is that although it is ranked behind lots of its NESCAC peers by US News, it has been nearly as tough on lacrosse applicants as its academically more prestigious peers. My guess is that he will get a couple of years of leeway at the outset. With the ED deadline passed at most schools, it will be tough for him to poach '24s from other NESCACs or similar leagues at this point. He may be looking more for late bloomer kids in '24 class. I would not be surprised, however, to see him grab some transfers from D1 guys who now realize that they are too far down the depth chart to see the field. If I'm the #6 attackman at a losing Patriot League, NEC or AE program and have the chance to upgrade academics/prestige/career opportunities while playing in the best D3 league in the country, I am all ears.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Mason Kohn, a Tufts ‘23 graduate, has been named a captain for the Syracuse Men’s Lacrosse Team. Incredible honor for the kid.

Really hope he succeeds grueling ACC schedule.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:34 am
MVPiccoli wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:19 am First time visiting Colby's athletics website this morning. Never really had a reason to. The HAARC. O.M.G. Incredible.
It is pretty jaw-dropping, especially for a school of only 2,300 students.
https://colbyathletics.com/sports/2020/ ... ion-center

Bernhardt has many of the raw materials required to build a winning program, but he will need some help from admissions to be successful. The issue for Colby is that although it is ranked behind lots of its NESCAC peers by US News, it has been nearly as tough on lacrosse applicants as its academically more prestigious peers. My guess is that he will get a couple of years of leeway at the outset. With the ED deadline passed at most schools, it will be tough for him to poach '24s from other NESCACs or similar leagues at this point. He may be looking more for late bloomer kids in '24 class. I would not be surprised, however, to see him grab some transfers from D1 guys who now realize that they are too far down the depth chart to see the field. If I'm the #6 attackman at a losing Patriot League, NEC or AE program and have the chance to upgrade academics/prestige/career opportunities while playing in the best D3 league in the country, I am all ears.
Agree, but getting them in may be an issue. They will need to loosen the admissions requirements to grab some of those kids.
TucoBPJMRamirez

Post by TucoBPJMRamirez »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:34 amI would not be surprised, however, to see him grab some transfers from D1 guys who now realize that they are too far down the depth chart to see the field. If I'm the #6 attackman at a losing Patriot League, NEC or AE program and have the chance to upgrade academics/prestige/career opportunities while playing in the best D3 league in the country, I am all ears.
This made me chuckle. The contributors on the top NESCAC squads all turned down PL/NEC/AE offers back in high school. Picking up refugees from DI bottom-feeders won't move the needle for Colby (even if they can somehow navigate the 2.5% transfer acceptance rate).
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

I was going to say...isn't it harder to transfer in?
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

TucoBPJMRamirez wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:32 pm
Can Opener wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:34 amI would not be surprised, however, to see him grab some transfers from D1 guys who now realize that they are too far down the depth chart to see the field. If I'm the #6 attackman at a losing Patriot League, NEC or AE program and have the chance to upgrade academics/prestige/career opportunities while playing in the best D3 league in the country, I am all ears.
This made me chuckle. The contributors on the top NESCAC squads all turned down PL/NEC/AE offers back in high school. Picking up refugees from DI bottom-feeders won't move the needle for Colby (even if they can somehow navigate the 2.5% transfer acceptance rate).
"D1 Bottom feeders" would beat Colby by 20 goals with a running clock. D1 rosters are loaded with very good players that may never see significant time until their JR/SR year. If those players were excepted at Colby(doubtful), it would certainly improve the program. Let's see what happens.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Indeed the bench mobs for top D3 teams are loaded with kids who turned down some D1 opps because they thought they'd play immediately. That's not really where Colby is at though. Kids struggling to see the field at Holy Cross, Colgate, Providence, etc. could definitely be difference makers for the Mules.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

laxdad1434 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:49 am
"D1 Bottom feeders" would beat Colby by 20 goals with a running clock. D1 rosters are loaded with very good players that may never see significant time until their JR/SR year. If those players were excepted at Colby(doubtful), it would certainly improve the program. Let's see what happens.
Colby may be a bad example but the top 10 teams in D-3 could play with many of the bottom D-1 schools and I have seen D-1 kids transfer down and struggle to play at better D-3 schools. Schhols St. John's and Umass-Lowell would lose totop teams even teams with wins like NJIT would lose to the top teams in D-3. Depth really does not matter at that point, as the top kids at the D-3 school would be more talented. We saw this a couple of years ago when Tufts hammered Dartmouth.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”