Towson 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Re: Towson 2019

Post by Henpecked »

There is something that has always amazed me at the end of a game when the defending team has a one-goal lead. When the clock is under 10 seconds why not just tackle any player heading to the net? By the time the defensive team gets possession the clock should in theory be expired. It is not as if the refs will award extra time to the offensive team.

I have only seen a team take advantage of this once. It was last year at the end of the Syracuse-Cornell game where the defender absolutely mauled the Syracuse attackman. The fans in the Carrier dome were not happy but it made perfect sense to me.

I think if you saw this strategy employed more often the rules committee might have to institute an extra-time man-up rule where the offense receives the benefit of the penalty with a man-up :30 or :60 OT. Is that a crazy thought?
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Henpecked--
I was thinking the SAME THING! NO WAY Bernhardt is allowed to catch that ball--even if you foul him, time probably runs out will the "slow whistle" on penalties.
Couldn't believe anyone, let alone Bernhardt, would be able to catch and shot(granted, a GREAT shot)!
Fanlax999

Post by Fanlax999 »

Ouch. Towson had MD, who didn't play all that well, imo. I was really rooting for Towson, who gave MD all they could handle. Hoping VA beats them bad.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Not to mention why the Towson Goalie did not stand in Bernhardt's path (or just crush him), after his foot touched the crease and dove across his face. Goalies need to do the same thing basketball players do....take the charge and there is no goal plus a penalty. Seems the goalies are not being taught to be certain there is contact in the crease....but we do get the bloviating of the announcers that someone did something super human.....embarrassing.

From the 2019-2020 NCAA Rules book.

Goal Not Counted
SECTION 11. Under the following conditions, a goal shall be disallowed:

i. After a player in the act of shooting or his teammate makes contact with the
goalkeeper in the crease or touches any part of the goal or netting before the
ball enters the goal.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

youthathletics wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:22 pm Not to mention why the Towson Goalie did not stand in Bernhardt's path (or just crush him), after his foot touched the crease and dove across his face. Goalies need to do the same thing basketball players do....take the charge and there is no goal plus a penalty. Seems the goalies are not being taught to be certain there is contact in the crease....but we do get the bloviating of the announcers that someone did something super human.....embarrassing.

Goal Not Counted

ball enters the goal.
Even if the goalie INITIATED the contact?
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

i am a dutch fan ,I was really rooting for TT , I cant believe what i saw in the last 10 secs , I thought I was watching umass rip hofstra's guts out again , great game feel for you guys
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

i am a dutch fan ,I was really rooting for TT , I cant believe what i saw in the last 10 secs , I thought I was watching umass rip hofstra's guts out again , great game feel for you guys
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:10 pm The Cornell defense man did that last year against Syracuse.
And that was it, game over.
Henpecked wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:52 am It was last year at the end of the Syracuse-Cornell game where the defender absolutely mauled the Syracuse attackman.
10Stone & Hen: please take a moment to watch this replay. I suspect that a lot of viewers missed it because it was aired following the celebration. It was taken from a different angle and clearly demonstrates that, while he put on an Oscar-worthy performance as a victim, Solomon had grabbed hold of Pulver and was hanging on with his arm around Pulver's stick handle. Pulver was trying to extricate himself, not the other way around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofulJC ... u.be&t=168
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

joatmon wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:52 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:10 pm The Cornell defense man did that last year against Syracuse.
And that was it, game over.
Henpecked wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:52 am It was last year at the end of the Syracuse-Cornell game where the defender absolutely mauled the Syracuse attackman.
10Stone & Hen: please take a moment to watch this replay. I suspect that a lot of viewers missed it because it was aired following the celebration. It was taken from a different angle and clearly demonstrates that, while he put on an Oscar-worthy performance as a victim, Solomon had grabbed hold of Pulver and was hanging on with his arm around Pulver's stick handle. Pulver was trying to extricate himself, not the other way around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uofulJC ... u.be&t=168
I appreciate your take on that play and maybe you are Pulver's mom. But seriously, that defies all logic. Pulver cross checked him to the ground and sat on top of him. Why would Soloman be looking to draw a penalty with 3 seconds left on the clock? Makes ZERO sense. :?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

reLAX wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:41 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:22 pm Not to mention why the Towson Goalie did not stand in Bernhardt's path (or just crush him), after his foot touched the crease and dove across his face. Goalies need to do the same thing basketball players do....take the charge and there is no goal plus a penalty. Seems the goalies are not being taught to be certain there is contact in the crease....but we do get the bloviating of the announcers that someone did something super human.....embarrassing.

Goal Not Counted

ball enters the goal.
Even if the goalie INITIATED the contact?
The cylinder/inside crease is the goalies domain. If Towson goalie stood square to where #1 initiated flight, where his foot touched the crease line....no goal. It is my interpretation that the burden is on the O player to not make ANY contact, unless deemed otherwise by a push penalty of some sort.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Henpecked wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:39 pm [I appreciate your take on that play and maybe you are Pulver's mom. But seriously, that defies all logic. Pulver cross checked him to the ground and sat on top of him. Why would Soloman be looking to draw a penalty with 3 seconds left on the clock? Makes ZERO sense. :?
Since this conversation has no relevance to the good folks from Towson, I'm going to resist the temptation to continue it, with my apologies for having hijacked your thread.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

hofpride wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:45 pm i am a dutch fan ,I was really rooting for TT , I cant believe what i saw in the last 10 secs , I thought I was watching umass rip hofstra's guts out again , great game feel for you guys
There you go !
The true heart of the matter, which people seemed to have glossed over.
It is a punch in the gut.
Even if you aren’t a TU alum.
Denver14

Post by Denver14 »

Man, that is a minute that will wake up the Towson team and coaches years from now with ‘what ifs’ ‘what if we hadn’t been told to not shoot’ for example.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Henpecked wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:55 am Brendan Sunday presumably has another year of eligibility after missing his sophomore year with an injury. Will he return to Towson? Will he graduate and go to grad school for business somewhere else? I haven’t heard a thing.
If you watched the youtube video of the press conference, he was in tears, knowing that it was his last home game and last with the seniors. He participated in Senior Day (I know, doesn't always mean he's done) and was drafted in the MLL. I think he could get that extra year but maybe he's ready to leave and doesn't want to go to grad school.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

The last 2 min was brutal. I can get into that, and we are all experts after a very difficult loss. However, something that was not discussed is shooting. You cannot shoot stick side high over & over again on a left handed goalie. Why does it happen? Right handed shooters do not adjust to left handed goalies. Let’s be honest, if Towson played UMASS in the CAA final, it would have been a tall order. Why ? Sconone is left handed & a very good goalie. They made Dolan a 52% goalie into 63-64 % goalie on several opportunities. They had those shots because of Woodall. They had some really good sets on offense & did not finish. Sure credit Dolan. But, he is not Jim Beardmore.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I just like Pedal to the Metal lacrosse.
Towson could score, bad shots and all, pretty much whenever they wanted. They came back from 2 down quickly.
But, that’s not Nadelen’s game.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

That all falls under the 2min thing. You can go back to the game @ Duke, H v Denver. Two very good teams that would have put them in top 4, lead in the 4th & could not hold it. Maryland won’t hang w Va. because they don’t have 3 & 4 defenders. Plus, no Woodall. Maryland this year is an easy scout. Unfortunately, the dam broke w 4sec to go. The rest was easy. Hopkins beat them twice because they got it. I like UVA 16-11
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Yeah.
I could see that score.
But, Who on UVA us gonna cover Kyle Long ?
Tigers could not.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Prior to Towson he had 2g’s. And 0 A. No one cares about him. Plus, can MD deal w Va’s pace ? Va is hungry . MD has 2-3 players the rest are appetizers. That’s being kind
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:25 pm The last 2 min was brutal. I can get into that, and we are all experts after a very difficult loss. However, something that was not discussed is shooting. You cannot shoot stick side high over & over again on a left handed goalie. Why does it happen? Right handed shooters do not adjust to left handed goalies. Let’s be honest, if Towson played UMASS in the CAA final, it would have been a tall order. Why ? Sconone is left handed & a very good goalie. They made Dolan a 52% goalie into 63-64 % goalie on several opportunities. They had those shots because of Woodall. They had some really good sets on offense & did not finish. Sure credit Dolan. But, he is not Jim Beardmore.
Wow. I understand your disappointment in losing. However, as I have stated elsewhere, if you are going to call out a specific player, by name, in a sarcastic or negative manner, you best be perfect. There are many other ways to call out your shooters not adjusting without picking on another player.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”