Virginia 6A 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Virginia 6A 2019

Post by wgdsr »

i'm sure robinson is looking forward to the opportunity anyway.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

MyLongStick wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:57 am Patriot-Robinson should be an interesting matchup....Patriot will be without their big scoring mid the rest of the playoffs and it will be interesting to see if their FOGO came climb out of his slump.

Defense looked completely lost at times against Madison. Madison moved players, and the ball around on offense that looked to confuse Patriot. It's obvious that Patriot does not get that same look from their offense in practice.

Turnovers absolutely did Patriot "in" during that loss. The last possession was a sure fire sht show of epic proportions. Again, the guys in the coaching shirts are stealing checks with this team.
No dog in this fight, but those coaches got the boys to States. The program should be proud. Oh, and the amount of the "checks" would classify as a misdemeanor.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

Patriot lost their starting goalie today in practice. He’s out for the duration too.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

MyLongStick wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:48 pm Patriot lost their starting goalie today in practice. He’s out for the duration too.
Very sorry to hear that - tough on the young man after he's worked all year to help his team get to States.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

Kid is a freshman so luckily he has 3 more years.
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

Didn't get to the game tonight (damn graduation parties!!) but my son told me Robinson won 10-4. Said young Declan Connolly had 8 goals in first 3 quarters. Wow!!

Believe Robinson now plays Battlefield in semis. I don't think Rob/Battlefield have ever played in the regular season, but interestingly they've played twice in state tournament - both in 2014 and 2015.
ReLax!

Post by ReLax! »

Glad to hear Declan ripping it up. He's been a pleasure to watch these past 4 yrs. Amazing though to find Robo/Battlefield going as deep as they are. It's turning into a war of attrition - you just have to try and stay healthy and keep the injury bug at arms length. South Lakes All Conference goalie goes down and they are out, Oakton's All Conference attack duo both go down with injuries and they get marginalized, and now Patriot's mid and goalie go down and Robo moves on. Say all you want about refs and coaching, but your guns have to be in the game to have a chance.
VA6ALacrosse

Post by VA6ALacrosse »

ReLax! wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:31 pm Glad to hear Declan ripping it up. He's been a pleasure to watch these past 4 yrs. Amazing though to find Robo/Battlefield going as deep as they are. It's turning into a war of attrition - you just have to try and stay healthy and keep the injury bug at arms length. South Lakes All Conference goalie goes down and they are out, Oakton's All Conference attack duo both go down with injuries and they get marginalized, and now Patriot's mid and goalie go down and Robo moves on. Say all you want about refs and coaching, but your guns have to be in the game to have a chance.
A few notes on this:

-I wouldn’t say it’s “amazing” to have Robo/battlefield going as deep as they are. Everyone agrees that Madison is the top team this year, and Battlefield beat them once already. Robinson lost to them by one. And South county also lost to Madison by one. I would say state semi finals are set up for some great games, with 4 deserving teams.

-trying to stay healthy? Doesn’t everyone “try” to stay healthy?

-South Lakes is typically good, but average at best when it comes to the top 6a teams, and is never a true state contender. I doubt one injury is why they didn’t make it to states this year.

-Oakton was a good team this year, but was nowhere near the dominant team they were last year. They did still have a chance at winning states, but they also lost 7 games (6 public school games) with their “all conference attack” in the game too.

-Patriot’s mid who was out was a stud, but not a difference of 7 goals. Patriot was not a better team than Robinson, and that is why they lost last night IMO

-you definitely need your guns to be able to win it all most of the time, but you also have to be able to roll with any and all punches that are thrown your way. The deepest teams are usually the ones that end up state champions.

-sorry to pick apart your comment, just thought it would be fun to debate a little bit
ReLax!

Post by ReLax! »

VA6ALacrosse wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:43 am
ReLax! wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:31 pm Glad to hear Declan ripping it up. He's been a pleasure to watch these past 4 yrs. Amazing though to find Robo/Battlefield going as deep as they are. It's turning into a war of attrition - you just have to try and stay healthy and keep the injury bug at arms length. South Lakes All Conference goalie goes down and they are out, Oakton's All Conference attack duo both go down with injuries and they get marginalized, and now Patriot's mid and goalie go down and Robo moves on. Say all you want about refs and coaching, but your guns have to be in the game to have a chance.
A few notes on this:

-I wouldn’t say it’s “amazing” to have Robo/battlefield going as deep as they are. Everyone agrees that Madison is the top team this year, and Battlefield beat them once already. Robinson lost to them by one. And South county also lost to Madison by one. I would say state semi finals are set up for some great games, with 4 deserving teams.

-South Lakes is typically good, but average at best when it comes to the top 6a teams, and is never a true state contender. I doubt one injury is why they didn’t make it to states this year.

-Oakton was a good team this year, but was nowhere near the dominant team they were last year. They did still have a chance at winning states, but they also lost 7 games (6 public school games) with their “all conference attack” in the game too.

-Patriot’s mid who was out was a stud, but not a difference of 7 goals. Patriot was not a better team than Robinson, and that is why they lost last night IMO

-you definitely need your guns to be able to win it all most of the time, but you also have to be able to roll with any and all punches that are thrown your way. The deepest teams are usually the ones that end up state champions.

-sorry to pick apart your comment, just thought it would be fun to debate a little bit
Well played VA6 :D I'll bite - ok it may not be "amazing" to have Robo and Battlefield going so deep, but it was unlikely earlier in the year. Yes, everyone tries to stay healthy, but some unfortunately succumb to the injury bug more than others. In the case of SL their all-conference goalie broke his thumb the previous game v Yorktown and was replaced by the JV goalie. I'd challenge most any team to take Oakton into the 4Q at 6-6 w/ your JV goalie. In the case of Oakton, I wouldn't say they were "nowhere near the dominant team they were last year" when you bring back all-staters from last year (Arnold, McDaid, Robertson) return your starting goalie, return all-conference FO (DeSouza) and mid (Weber) you're kind of stacked. They lost Soph attack Jared Cole and his bro from last year, that's about it. Lastly, in the games I've seen, Robo did not appear to be better than Patriot. Aside from Declan and Swaggerty, and Miller on D, they don't stack up against Patriot, but Patriot was out their goalie and mid. Goalie is (arguably?) the most critical position to lose going into the playoffs unless you lose a TD Ierlan or Trevor Baptiste at FO.
MyLongStick

Post by MyLongStick »

Patriot looked like a rec team on Saturday.

They couldn’t play simple catch without the ball sailing into the stands. It was an absolute embarrassment to the program overall. The backup goalie did fine and missing the mid had nothing to do with basic fundamentals.

But it starts with the CEO and how you practice and what you demand from your players.

I watched in amazement early in the season when one of their “hero” senior attack jog/walk to the sideline as he “chased” the ball after a shot and got passed by a hustling pole. What did the coaches do, nothing. Nada. Not even the dad/coach who was right there front row.

Sets the tone for the entire season. No discipline.

Patriot has way too many good players to play the way they do at times. They know there is nobody to rip them off the field and hold them accountable.

Patriot dominated the faceoff for 3 quarters. They looked to dominate in shots and time of possession too. They just put too much pressure on their defense with those turnovers. A defense that wasn’t that good, even with the starter a goal.
jerseyman

Post by jerseyman »

ReLax! wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:16 pm
VA6ALacrosse wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:43 am
A few notes on this:

Well played VA6 :D I'll bite - ok it may not be "amazing" to have Robo and Battlefield going so deep, but it was unlikely earlier in the year. Yes, everyone tries to stay healthy, but some unfortunately succumb to the injury bug more than others. In the case of SL their all-conference goalie broke his thumb the previous game v Yorktown and was replaced by the JV goalie. I'd challenge most any team to take Oakton into the 4Q at 6-6 w/ your JV goalie. In the case of Oakton, I wouldn't say they were "nowhere near the dominant team they were last year" when you bring back all-staters from last year (Arnold, McDaid, Robertson) return your starting goalie, return all-conference FO (DeSouza) and mid (Weber) you're kind of stacked. They lost Soph attack Jared Cole and his bro from last year, that's about it. Lastly, in the games I've seen, Robo did not appear to be better than Patriot. Aside from Declan and Swaggerty, and Miller on D, they don't stack up against Patriot, but Patriot was out their goalie and mid. Goalie is (arguably?) the most critical position to lose going into the playoffs unless you lose a TD Ierlan or Trevor Baptiste at FO.
Ah, Oakton. At the end of the day, an underachieving team this season. Disappointing given the talent. So much for defending their title. With all of those seniors graduating, they will be hard pressed to make it far in the regions next year.
VadersCross

Post by VadersCross »

Oakton also lost Solomon to Madison and their entire D except Robertson. Seems like that might be part of the story seeing how well Madison is doing. Agree, they didn't get as far as they probably could have given the talent.

Think it will be a Madison v. Robo final.
sguy

Post by sguy »

Can anyone share the current scores? Battlefield and robinson?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

sguy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:30 pm Can anyone share the current scores? Battlefield and robinson?
9-3 robo after 3
11-3 Robo with 10 minutes to go.

14 or 15-6 Final. Rams score with no time left....
ReLax!

Post by ReLax! »

VadersCross wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:41 pm Oakton also lost Solomon to Madison and their entire D except Robertson. Seems like that might be part of the story seeing how well Madison is doing. Agree, they didn't get as far as they probably could have given the talent.

Think it will be a Madison v. Robo final.
Agree that the Solomon switch to Madison hurt Oakton. Oakton lost Preaskorn on D but returned Smith, Caruthers and Robertson - all stellar defenders.
sguy

Post by sguy »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:44 pm
sguy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:30 pm Can anyone share the current scores? Battlefield and robinson?
9-3 robo after 3
11-3 Robo with 10 minutes to go.

14 or 15-6 Final. Rams score with no time left....
Thanks! Congratulations Robinson!
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

Another gorgeous night for lacrosse tonight and Coach Curran looks like he's got the Rams playing well at the right time of the year. O shared the ball well and D was disciplined and won the ground ball battle.

Good balanced scoring for the Rams - Swagerty 4g, Declan 3g/3a?, Alonso 3g and as a team there were less uncaused turnovers than I've previously seen. Battlefield played hard but other than #6 they really didn't have anyone that could beat their defender and create a good scoring opportunity on offense. #12 their faceoff guy was scrappy and played well.

Congratulations to Coach Curran - 5th state championship game in 6 years. Pretty darn impressive.
sguy

Post by sguy »

Madison 8 - SoCo 7 - source maxpreps
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

Washington Post story on Madison win (girls won, too) https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/m ... 1cf4d3ede0

Madison boys looked good, capable of scoring quickly/ multiple ways, with talented D and goalie. Didn't look like the juggernaut that they've been vs lesser teams, though. Rematch with Robinson should be interesting, esp with Robo's big semifinal win last night.
down_the_alley

Post by down_the_alley »

Since this thread gets the most traffic for VA lax, I'll just post it here ...

5A
Briar Woods beat Champe for the 4th time and punched their ticket to states again. They'll face an Atlee team which I'm sure is eager to avenge their semi-final loss last year. Not sure Atlee is as stacked as the squad from last year, but I expect a good game on Saturday. Guessing Atlee will have one of the more athletic and physical defenses - something BW really hasn't encountered all season. Draw slides and dump may be a central theme.

BTW, Richmond gets a good one in D. Young. Always drew the toughest matchups, every team knows the O goes through him, and he still racks up points. His hustle and toughness was impressive and a joy to watch.

4A
Riverside figured out Dominion and is playing for the title vs. EC Glass. Don't know anything about EC Glass other then they're a quality program who always seems to be around come playoff time. I'm sure coaches will breathe a little easier knowing Riverside's D1 attack line all graduates this year. Was fun watching those boys ball.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”