Post by MVPiccoli »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:25 pm
MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:14 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:22 am
smoova wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:56 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:37 pm
laxobserver1 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:38 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:10 pm
shorelax12 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:08 pm Any thoughts on why no NESCAC 2024 commits are showing up on IL. Last year at this time, almost every school already had anywhere from 5-7 commits
A kid I had been keeping an eye on from VT recently committed to Conn College: Peyton Grey (burr & Burton)

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment

Suspect he will be an impact player for them
future d-mid
Interesting prediction as first one out of the gate as it would be a whole new positional learning experience for him.
Dude's a troll - crapping on a 17 year-old who's ecstatic to commit to a fast-rising NESCAC program.
Stephen Brundage thought he had solid D1 potential I can say with certainty. That’s pretty good praise.
We need a reboot of the All Name Team, Fanlax variety. Peyton Grey seems like a 3rd Teamer shoe in. What's the kids middle name?
Don't know but I'm very much looking forward to Loyola having SSDMs named Mustang Sally and Ricky Savage (too bad he didn't legally change it from Poffo "oooooohhh yeahhh!").
OMG man. Even if they are recognized nicknames, to the point of being listed on a teams roster, that's enough for me. All Century!!!!
shorelax12

Re: NESCAC

Post by shorelax12 »

shorelax12 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:08 pm Any thoughts on why no NESCAC 2024 commits are showing up on IL. Last year at this time, almost every school already had anywhere from 5-7 commits
A kid I had been keeping an eye on from VT recently committed to Conn College: Peyton Grey (burr & Burton)

future d-mid
Interesting prediction as first one out of the gate as it would be a whole new positional learning experience for him.
Dude's a troll - crapping on a 17 year-old who's ecstatic to commit to a fast-rising NESCAC program.
Stephen Brundage thought he had solid D1 potential I can say with certainty. That’s pretty good praise.
As with most of the early NESCAC commits, I'm sure that he will have the opportunity to compete for playing time...seems like Conn is focusing on the attack this cycle, as opposed to the 2023 class which was pretty heavy at midfield. Quite a few big bodies in both classes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

shorelax12 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:45 am

future d-mid
As with most of the early NESCAC commits, I'm sure that he will have the opportunity to compete for playing time...seems like Conn is focusing on the attack this cycle, as opposed to the 2023 class which was pretty heavy at midfield. Quite a few big bodies in both classes.
VT is tiny but some good athletes come out of that Burr and Burton school. We had two brothers who have performed well on the gridiron (the younger played baseball as well) at Hobart who are physical and hit the ground running in college.

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/footbal ... ccoy/16889

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/footbal ... ccoy/20200
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:37 pm
shorelax12 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:50 am
smoova wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:20 pm
shorelax12 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:28 pm
lilax wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:15 pm
Their July 1st Pre-Read date was pushed back till August 1st because of the Supreme Court Affirmative Action case.

You’ll start seeing commits next Tuesday.
Certainly a new level of the waiting game and stress for the 2024 commits. Interesting that other schools have not had similar concerns and are making offers, although I suspect that those other schools are equally as anxious to see which players become available if they are not recruited by one of the NESCACs
It's been a boon for schools like W&L and Swarthmore.
That makes sense considering the comparable academic standards, but I suspect that there are a lot of very good players waiting in the wings until 8/1
Definitely some very strong/high academic players from the ISL who imo are right on the line between Ivy and NESCAC that haven't committed yet. I expect a few of them will be scooped up pretty quickly after 8/1.
Only two weeks in to this recruiting cycle so I could see a few more commits coming but here is the initial bunch of ISL players going to the NESCAC.

Patrick Albers - Mid, Nobles - Bowdoin
Cormac Walsh - Mid, St. Seb’s - Bowdoin
Louie Varadi - Att, BB&N - Conn College
Sean Horkan - Att/Mid, Belmont Hill - Conn College
Jimmy Carlin - Def, St. George’s - Conn College
Max Proia - Mid, St. Seb's - Colby
Andrew Higgins - Mid/Faceoff, Nobles - Hamilton
Amos Lawrence - Def, Groton - Middlebury
Nik Barnes - Att, St. George's - Trinity
Will Lavalee - Faceoff, Milton - Trinity
Henry Tweedy - Mid, Nobles - Tufts
Silas Hamblett - Goal, Milton Academy - Wesleyan

PGs in 2024
Tommy Schwartz - Def, Nobles/Deerfield - Middlebury
Ralph Vogel - Mid, Milton Academy/Deerfield - Williams

I think Tufts got the best of the bunch in Tweedy. He’s a football and lacrosse captain, and made All-ISL as a junior (anecdotally, guys who make All-ISL as juniors tend to have very successful NESCAC careers). He's a big and physical player and was apparently looking at a lot of D1 schools. I could see him getting on the field early, perhaps as a dmid, and developing into a big time player for the Jumbos. www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFZcuf9b8r0
Last edited by Laxxal22 on Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:57 pm
Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:37 pm
shorelax12 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:50 am
smoova wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:20 pm
shorelax12 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:28 pm
lilax wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:15 pm
Their July 1st Pre-Read date was pushed back till August 1st because of the Supreme Court Affirmative Action case.

You’ll start seeing commits next Tuesday.
Certainly a new level of the waiting game and stress for the 2024 commits. Interesting that other schools have not had similar concerns and are making offers, although I suspect that those other schools are equally as anxious to see which players become available if they are not recruited by one of the NESCACs
It's been a boon for schools like W&L and Swarthmore.
That makes sense considering the comparable academic standards, but I suspect that there are a lot of very good players waiting in the wings until 8/1
Definitely some very strong/high academic players from the ISL who imo are right on the line between Ivy and NESCAC that haven't committed yet. I expect a few of them will be scooped up pretty quickly after 8/1.
Only two weeks in to this recruiting cycle so I could see a few more commits coming but here is the initial bunch of ISL players going to the NESCAC.

Patrick Albers - Mid, Nobles - Bowdoin
Louie Varadi - Att, BB&N - Conn College
Sean Horkan - Att/Mid, Belmont Hill - Conn College
Jimmy Carlin - Def, St. George’s - Conn College
Max Proia - Mid, St. Seb's - Colby
Andrew Higgins - Mid/Faceoff, Nobles - Hamilton
Amos Lawrence - Def, Groton - Middlebury
Nik Barnes - Att, St. George's - Trinity
Will Lavalee - Faceoff, Milton - Trinity
Henry Tweedy - Mid, Nobles - Tufts
Silas Hamblett - Goal, Milton Academy - Wesleyan

PGs in 2024
Tommy Schwartz - Def, Nobles/Deerfield - Middlebury
Ralph Vogel - Mid, Milton Academy/Deerfield - Williams

I think Tufts got the best of the bunch in Tweedy. He’s a football and lacrosse captain, and made All-ISL as a junior (anecdotally, guys who make All-ISL as juniors tend to have very successful NESCAC careers). He's a big and physical player and was apparently looking at a lot of D1 schools. I could see him getting on the field early, perhaps as a dmid, and developing into a big time player for the Jumbos. www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFZcuf9b8r0
Thanks Laxxall. Keep it coming.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

It looks like GVA is parting ways with Colby. This is tricky timing as the team tries to complete its recruiting of the '24 HS class.
jetdirect47

Post by jetdirect47 »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:36 am It looks like GVA is parting ways with Colby. This is tricky timing as the team tries to complete its recruiting of the '24 HS class.
Where to? What else was open? Perhaps on to the independent world?
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

jetdirect47 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:58 am
Can Opener wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:36 am It looks like GVA is parting ways with Colby. This is tricky timing as the team tries to complete its recruiting of the '24 HS class.
This seems like a play to try and get the assistant coach bumped to interim. Coaches retiring at inopportune times so the school doesn't necessarily have a chance for a search so they move the assistant up. I feel like this has become a thing lately in college sports.
smoova

Post by smoova »

boredatwork wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:50 am
jetdirect47 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:58 am
This seems like a play to try and get the assistant coach bumped to interim. Coaches retiring at inopportune times so the school doesn't necessarily have a chance for a search so they move the assistant up. I feel like this has become a thing lately in college sports.
Agreed. Dowd is pretty young to be a NESCAC HC, but Lasagna was on staff as a VA and very active during games last season.
lilax

Post by lilax »

He is stepping down due to lingering health concerns. I was told he's been dealing with a serious issue for the last 5 years.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

lilax wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:27 am [quote="Can Opener" post_id=487108 time=<a href="tel:1692185782">1692185782</a> user_id=389]
It looks like GVA is parting ways with Colby. This is tricky timing as the team tries to complete its recruiting of the '24 HS class.
He is stepping down due to lingering health concerns. I was told he's been dealing with a serious issue for the last 5 years.
[/quote]

Awful news, never want to hear a situation like that.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

This next hire is BIG for the direction of the program....
creasecone66

Post by creasecone66 »

NNELax wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:52 am This next hire is BIG for the direction of the program....
What a take, can you post the link to your nescac/d3 lacrosse podcast? With insights like these, you probably don’t have a podcast, definitely keep these well thought out opinions behind a paywall. Must be a NELJ contributor.

On another note, Biddy Martin isn’t the president at Colby so good news for athletics and men’s lacrosse, bad news for student journalists who publish veritably fake stories (does Thompson go back to Waterville??). It could be a BIG for the direction of social media impressions as well, which really should count for something. How many views and re-X’s equal hoisting the trophy on MDW Sunday? Facilities and willingness to compete athletically should have some excellent coaches pursued/expressing interest.

If it is a health-related retirement, obviously we (maybe not NNE) wish nothing but for a quick and full recovery for Coach Van. The game will miss an absolute legend on the sideline, but would imagine he’ll continue to enhance whatever community he finds himself in for the better.

On another note about when to retire and whether it is to put a trusted assistant in a good position to audition as interim, when is a good time for a coach, and specifically nescac coach, to retire? Since so much is dependent on recruiting, would imagine it is either end of summer or day after season ends…unless you can pull a Coach T farewell tour and give time for administration to get ducks in a row to interview and not interrupt the recruiting window by handing the baton off directly.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

creasecone66 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:07 am
NNELax wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:52 am This next hire is BIG for the direction of the program....
What a take, can you post the link to your nescac/d3 lacrosse podcast? With insights like these, you probably don’t have a podcast, definitely keep these well thought out opinions behind a paywall. Must be a NELJ contributor.

On another note, Biddy Martin isn’t the president at Colby so good news for athletics and men’s lacrosse, bad news for student journalists who publish veritably fake stories (does Thompson go back to Waterville??). It could be a BIG for the direction of social media impressions as well, which really should count for something. How many views and re-X’s equal hoisting the trophy on MDW Sunday? Facilities and willingness to compete athletically should have some excellent coaches pursued/expressing interest.

If it is a health-related retirement, obviously we (maybe not NNE) wish nothing but for a quick and full recovery for Coach Van. The game will miss an absolute legend on the sideline, but would imagine he’ll continue to enhance whatever community he finds himself in for the better.

On another note about when to retire and whether it is to put a trusted assistant in a good position to audition as interim, when is a good time for a coach, and specifically nescac coach, to retire? Since so much is dependent on recruiting, would imagine it is either end of summer or day after season ends…unless you can pull a Coach T farewell tour and give time for administration to get ducks in a row to interview and not interrupt the recruiting window by handing the baton off directly.
You sound unhinged....
creasecone66

Post by creasecone66 »

NNELax wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:01 am
creasecone66 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:07 am

You sound unhinged....
I probably am unhinged, but that doesn’t change the fact that you came on here to say “This next hire is BIG for the direction of the program....” as if that’s not the most glaringly obvious statement of fact about any collegiate sports team on its face (whether to keep it in a positive direction or redirect from a negative one.

I think the fact that a head coach has a lot to do with what direction an athletic team is on and my state of mind may be all we agree on NNE, stay blessed.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Self awareness is a gift...
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/190342 ... ach#expand

Short list on this one?

Ivy Assistant
Patriot Assistant
Nescac Assistant
Any current Head Coaches

?
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

sguy9 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:54 am https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/190342 ... ach#expand

Short list on this one?

Ivy Assistant
Patriot Assistant
Nescac Assistant
Any current Head Coaches

?
I hope it goes to Casey Dowd!
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:50 am
sguy9 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:54 am https://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/190342 ... ach#expand

Short list on this one?

Ivy Assistant
Patriot Assistant
Nescac Assistant
Any current Head Coaches

?
https://colbyathletics.com/news/2023/8/ ... eason.aspx
smoova

Post by smoova »

River Donkey wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:38 pm
Can Opener wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:50 am

Short list on this one?

Ivy Assistant
Patriot Assistant
Nescac Assistant
Any current Head Coaches

?
https://colbyathletics.com/news/2023/8/ ... eason.aspx
"Waterville, Maine - To kickoff the 2023-24 season, four of Colby's Assistant Coaches have been promoted to Assistant Head Coaches in each of their perspective programs. Those promoted are Casey Dowd, Troy Irvine, Dorothy O'Donnell, and Tyler Walsh who are all well deserving of this new title after being apart of Colby Athletics for multiple seasons."

So now Dowd is "Assistant Head Coach"? I guess that helps keep the commitments rolling (IL reported another Colby commit today), but it doesn't sound like he's the new HC.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”