Coaching Carousel 2023 - D3

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SpartanLaxFanatic

Re: Coaching Carousel 2023 - D3

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

Do we really think Cortland is that much better of a job than Muhlenberg?

Sure tuition is probably cheaper but Plunkett has done a phenomenal job at Muhlenberg. Better academics, quality facilities and a contender in one of the best conferences in D3.

Also owns and operates a local club program that does pretty well in the Allentown/Lehigh Valley.

Unless pay is that much better I don't see him making a move.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

For Plunkett the chance to get a state job with all the benefits that come that way. I don't know much about Muhlenburg finances but small D3 schools by and large are not the most secure right now. What is his family situation? Would Cortland work for them?
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Muhlenberg has a $308 million endowment....much better off than a lot of small liberal arts institutions.

990 can be found pretty easily on their website. Looks solid financially.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Cortland will probably go with a current head coach, regardless of level, that being said, other than a few lower level D1 coaches, possible names to consider;

Cavanagh (West Conn)
Chamberlain (Farmingdale)
Childs (St. Mary's)
Cutia (former assistant)
Colfer (former Cabrini HC)
Fiorentino (former assistant/former Geneseo Head Coach)
Gartleman (Frostburg)
Hofmeister (Scranton)
Iannucci (OWU)
Jez (Post)
Lockner (Alfred)
Mariano (Pace)
Martin (Hartford)
Misiaszek (Poly)
Nelson (Pfeiffer)
Novotny (Seton Hill)
Nye (Homer HS)
Plantholdt (OWU)
Rautenstrauch (John Carroll)
Stocks (UINDY)
Tousaw (OCC)
Zulaf (Stockton)
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Laxguru333

Post by Laxguru333 »

Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:30 am Cortland will probably go with a current head coach, regardless of level, that being said, other than a few lower level D1 coaches, possible names to consider;

Plantholdt (OWU)
Hey Leonard. You always seem very engaged on any coaching topic so I'm not surprised you put up such an impressive list.
Question, am I to assume you're implying Cortland would be a step up for Plantholt to the OWU program? Indeed both programs have great history of success but not so much lately. I don't mean any disrespect but I'm not sure who would be offended more by my even having to ask this question. So I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
Leonard Washington

Nosey Ned wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:28 pm
Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:30 am Cortland will probably go with a current head coach, regardless of level, that being said, other than a few lower level D1 coaches, possible names to consider;

Plantholdt (OWU)
Hey Leonard. You always seem very engaged on any coaching topic so I'm not surprised you put up such an impressive list.
Question, am I to assume you're implying Cortland would be a step up for Plantholt to the OWU program? Indeed both programs have great history of success but not so much lately. I don't mean any disrespect but I'm not sure who would be offended more by my even having to ask this question. So I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
Ned, always great to read your posts. In regards to Cortland/OWU, and the Head Men's Lacrosse jobs, it may not be a huge jump in the short term, but over time, Cortland has more to offer (IMO) than OWU and is the better job. Whether we are talking recruiting, pension/benefits, cost of living, opportunity to get to the NCAA playoffs/have success, among a couple of other things

Plantholt probably has done as much as he can at OWU and 13 seasons on the sidelines is a ton (I believe 5 of those he lead the Bishops to the tourney). It is common knowledge that he was looking to leave for the right opportunity and has applied to a few jobs over these past few years. Cortland seems like a fit for him.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Leonard Washington

Although he probably wouldn't consider it, my post was supposed to say Iannucci from IWU (Illinois Wesleyan) not OWU
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:46 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:28 pm

Plantholdt (OWU)
Ned, always great to read your posts. In regards to Cortland/OWU, and the Head Men's Lacrosse jobs, it may not be a huge jump in the short term, but over time, Cortland has more to offer (IMO) than OWU and is the better job. Whether we are talking recruiting, pension/benefits, cost of living, opportunity to get to the NCAA playoffs/have success, among a couple of other things

Plantholt probably has done as much as he can at OWU and 13 seasons on the sidelines is a ton (I believe 5 of those he lead the Bishops to the tourney). It is common knowledge that he was looking to leave for the right opportunity and has applied to a few jobs over these past few years. Cortland seems like a fit for him.
All good points Leonard- thanks. Not sure I could make a decent counter argument. I know it's been asked on the forum in recent years (not by me but an OWU Fann actually) if Plantholt might be hitting the wall at OWU.
Word was he tried for the opening at his alma mater Gettysburg so clearly he's open to "new opportunities".

Unfortunately given the current economic situation of many institutions of higher learning, the profession is in for some even leaner times ahead so I wish nothing but the best of luck to him and all the coaches you mentioned. They and their families deserve better IMO.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Cavanagh (West Conn)
Chamberlain (Farmingdale)
Childs (St. Mary's)
Cutia (former assistant)
Fiorentino (former assistant/former Geneseo Head Coach)
Gartleman (Frostburg)
Hofmeister (Scranton)
Iannucci (OWU)
Jez (Post)
Lockner (Alfred)
Mariano (Pace)
Martin (Hartford)
Misiaszek (Poly)
Nelson (Pfeiffer)
Novotny (Seton Hill)
Nye (Homer HS)
Plantholdt (OWU)
Rautenstrauch (John Carroll)
Stocks (UINDY)
Tousaw (OCC)
Zulaf (Stockton)

Steve Colfer took a job at a glamorous inter-ac school here in PA. The Episcapal Academy (EA). Probably being paid 2-4x what a SUNY could offer. He's also a local and has two children that I would imagine anticipate entering into EA (read: free tuition at a prestigious school). All that to say, he ain't on the list.
Leonard Washington

MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:12 pm

Steve Colfer took a job at a glamorous inter-ac school here in PA. The Episcapal Academy (EA). Probably being paid 2-4x what a SUNY could offer. He's also a local and has two children that I would imagine anticipate entering into EA (read: free tuition at a prestigious school). All that to say, he ain't on the list.
Actually he is on the list, because, I (personally) made the list of coaches Cortland should consider and put him on there :lol:

Whether he (or any others on my list) apply, have interest or will is another matter. Thanks though 8-)
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Leonard Washington wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:24 am

Actually he is on the list, because, I (personally) made the list of coaches Cortland should consider and put him on there :lol:

Whether he (or any others on my list) apply, have interest or will is another matter. Thanks though 8-)
Fair point! He would've been a great fit sans kiddos and money aside. Colf recruited the blue collar parts of LI hard.
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

balderdash

Post by balderdash »

That is a good get for Thiel.

Current Openings:

Allegheny (PA)
Concordia-Chicago (IL)
Heidelberg (OH)
Marian (WI)
SUNY-Cortland (NY)
Vermont State (VT)
Wells (NY)

Filled:

Alma (MI) - Zach Cameron, Kalamazoo AC
Augustana (IL) - Jon Paul, St. Ambrose (NAIA) HC
Averett (VA) - Bryan Habick, St. Andrews (NAIA) HC
Birmingham Southern (AL) - Carson Sterling, Birmingham Southern AC
Catholic (DC) - Peter Donley, Roanoke AC
Eastern Connecticut St. (CT) - Craig Gibson, Fairfield (NCAA D1) AHC
Eastern (PA) - Colin Piper (Interim Currently), Eastern AC
Haverford (PA) - Richard Carrington, Amherst AC
Immaculata (PA) - Will Pilat, Wesleyan AHC
Ithaca (NY) - Tommy Pearce, Allegheny HC
Keuka (NY) - Ty Trombley, Keuka Interim HC
Lawrence (WI-2025) - Michael Zadorga, Davis and Elkins (NCAA D2) HC
Lycoming (PA) - Tony Mackin, Averett HC
Methodist (NC) - Ryan McKay, Piedmont AHC
Mount Saint Joseph (OH) - Colin McSharar, Anderson (WLAX) HC
Muskingum (OH) - Michael Jablonski, Muskingum AC
Pitt-Bradford (PA-2025) - Scott Gwyn, Concordia-Chicago HC
Thiel (PA) - Alex Skvarch, Walsh (NCAA D2) HC
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

MVPiccoli wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:50 pm

Fair point! He would've been a great fit sans kiddos and money aside. Colf recruited the blue collar parts of LI hard.
From a money standpoint Episcopal definitely better short term- but it's a highly charged political tight wire with big money parents- just ask Chris Bates. Long run Cortland the way better job with NY state benefits.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Castleton (now called Vermont State) should be making a decision fairly soon.

This job is intriguing. Among the many open jobs this year, you could argue that this is one of the most stable jobs as the previous coach spent over a decade there. (Obviously Cortland and Ithaca are at a different level)

They were a top team in the North Atlantic Conference for a while, playing in a few NCAA tournaments in the early 2010's. The move to the Little East Conference a few years back seems to have derailed the program's success though. The Spartans went 0-fer COVID and have really struggled ever since.

Former Coach is working on campus still (non-athletic job), so it doesn't seem like it was a bad break-up or anything like that.

Facilities up there are solid. Certainly good enough among similar schools. This could be a great spot for the right coach looking to turn around a once successful program.

Very curious to see how this one goes.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Totally agree VTlaxguy. Castleton.

Could be either a really good first HC exp for someone looking to make an impact and move up the ranks at some point... or.... Have a nice career in a really cool part of the country at a school with good facilities, quality league that currently doesn't have a real big dog. The only concern is the finances within in the state system. Clearly they have an issue if they keep consolidating. They posted a soccer hc position a while back, part time $8100......

Curious to see how this plays out.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

backerzone wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:55 am
MVPiccoli wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:50 pm

From a money standpoint Episcopal definitely better short term- but it's a highly charged political tight wire with big money parents- just ask Chris Bates. Long run Cortland the way better job with NY state benefits.
Maybe? Colf recruited the current EA AD back in the day. Todd Fairlie. His older brother played for us (TJ) and Todd ended up at Widener due to his desire to play football and lacrosse. So, I think he's got some pre-existing relationships that Bates didn't. Colf is from the area as well, deep roots. I also think Colf has polished his communication style to a shine, he can navigate tricky situations with tact. I really think he'll thrive at EA. Cortland is an awesome job, and I love their campus, profile, and history. I think they'd be better off finding an alumni on the come up. Bring the Red Dragons back to prominence. Someone invested long term.
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

Marian will be announced next week.

Former D2 assistant who played D3 in Wisconsin.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”