Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: UNC—Already crowned?

Post by 8meterPA »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:58 am I don’t know folks, I just have a feeling that UNC could be upset somewhere along the line during The Tournament. Perhaps they were toughened/hardened/made ready by their disappointing loss to BC in 2019 but perhaps they still have that tendency to choke against inferior teams in the postseason. I know that’s a long way away but I can’t help but look ahead.
I'm always in favor of the underdog, but imo they are too deep and too talented. They have also been together since this fall practicing and a lot of teams haven't. But, they still need to go out and win the games..we shall see.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:06 pm I'm always in favor of the underdog, but imo they are too deep and too talented. They have also been together since this fall practicing and a lot of teams haven't. But, they still need to go out and win the games..we shall see.
I hear you. They are very deep and very talented and favored to win it all for good reason. Surely, they are aware of the polls and the expectations and that factors in as well. How will they handle that when the games get intense in The Tournament? I've seen them fold or not show up before when they should have won ( Navy '17; JMU '18; BC '19 ). I can see a talented physically bigger team (like JMU in '18) giving them trouble. Adding to the pressure element, the Heels will graduate 12--count 'em 12 seniors/grad students after this season: Ortega, Hoeg, Growney, Mastroianni, Miller, Trenchard, Wakefield, Bourque, Moreno, Woodruff, Nappi and Wood. So that's more pressure. I'm sure the graduating class of BC ladies in '19 could say a thing or two about that.

Truer words were never spoken regarding favorites in sports: "They still need to go out and win the games."
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:35 pm
8meterPA wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:06 pm I'm always in favor of the underdog, but imo they are too deep and too talented. They have also been together since this fall practicing and a lot of teams haven't. But, they still need to go out and win the games..we shall see.
I hear you. They are very deep and very talented and favored to win it all for good reason. Surely, they are aware of the polls and the expectations and that factors in as well. How will they handle that when the games get intense in The Tournament? I've seen them fold or not show up before when they should have won ( Navy '17; JMU '18; BC '19 ). I can see a talented physically bigger team (like JMU in '18) giving them trouble. Adding to the pressure element, the Heels will graduate 12--count 'em 12 seniors/grad students after this season: Ortega, Hoeg, Growney, Mastroianni, Miller, Trenchard, Wakefield, Bourque, Moreno, Woodruff, Nappi and Wood. So that's more pressure. I'm sure the graduating class of BC ladies in '19 could say a thing or two about that.

Truer words were never spoken regarding favorites in sports: "They still need to go out and win the games."
I wonder what UNC's starting lineup will be; there is almost too much talent to manage. And UNC is pretty darn complete on attack, between the 30s, and in goal. Hard to find a soft spot. If they can find playing time for enough kids, and chemistry, I just don't see anyone beating them -- competing with them, sure. But I think UNC is going to score a lot of goals.

UNC
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Loyola
Northwestern
Stony Brook

Everyone else?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:35 pm the Heels will graduate 12--count 'em 12 seniors/grad students after this season: Ortega, Hoeg, Growney, Mastroianni, Miller, Trenchard, Wakefield, Bourque, Moreno, Woodruff, Nappi and Wood. So that's more pressure. I'm sure the graduating class of BC ladies in '19 could say a thing or two about that.

Just remember that the true Seniors in that group above have another year of eligibility, so they don't all face their last year this season if they choose to stay or transfer.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:08 pm Just remember that the true Seniors in that group above have another year of eligibility, so they don't all face their last year this season if they choose to stay or transfer.
(Picture Curly from the Three Stooges saying this as if a concept suddenly became clear.) ooooOOOOOOHHHHHHhhhhh!

That's right. I forgot all about that. That's interesting, Doc.

So, what's your mood before the new season? Thoughts, impressions, hopes, etc...
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:26 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:08 pm Just remember that the true Seniors in that group above have another year of eligibility, so they don't all face their last year this season if they choose to stay or transfer.
(Picture Curly from the Three Stooges saying this as if a concept suddenly became clear.) ooooOOOOOOHHHHHHhhhhh!

That's right. I forgot all about that. That's interesting, Doc.

So, what's your mood before the new season? Thoughts, impressions, hopes, etc...
Ortega has another year left after this one as does Growney if they choose to use it, they won't drop of that much!! :lol:

Joe
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:28 pm Ortega has another year left after this one as does Growney if they choose to use it, they won't drop of that much!! :lol:

Joe
That's very true, Joe. If they both come back, that's a good solid nucleus to build around.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:36 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:28 pm Ortega has another year left after this one as does Growney if they choose to use it, they won't drop of that much!! :lol:

Joe
That's very true, Joe. If they both come back, that's a good solid nucleus to build around.
Absolutely, plus Wurzberger in her second year. I do think Moreno is done though after this year, though.

Joe
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:12 pm I wonder what UNC's starting lineup will be; there is almost too much talent to manage. And UNC is pretty darn complete on attack, between the 30s, and in goal. Hard to find a soft spot. If they can find playing time for enough kids, and chemistry, I just don't see anyone beating them -- competing with them, sure. But I think UNC is going to score a lot of goals.

UNC
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Loyola
Northwestern
Stony Brook

Everyone else?
Hard to find any cracks in your case, sea. It will indeed be interesting to see what the lineup looks like once the season gets up and running.

I would venture to include Florida, Maryland and Duke. If Stony Brook and NU are there, I think these 3 other teams belong as well. Unless I'm not clear on what separates NU and SB from these other teams. I just have a hunch about Duke. Having watched them play last year a couple times I was impressed with their young talent complimenting the jr's and sr's. I think they will take the next step this season and be right around the top 10 by seasons end. Maryland has Cathy Reese. I would be surprised if her team doesn't look better next year. I don't know if anyone was more relieved when last season ended prematurely. And Florida--they are hard to figure sometimes. They look like a powerhouse some games and other games they look like any other lacrosse program in the lesser antilles. But one can say that about NU and SB at times as well. Just some thoughts.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:58 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:12 pm I wonder what UNC's starting lineup will be; there is almost too much talent to manage. And UNC is pretty darn complete on attack, between the 30s, and in goal. Hard to find a soft spot. If they can find playing time for enough kids, and chemistry, I just don't see anyone beating them -- competing with them, sure. But I think UNC is going to score a lot of goals.

UNC
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Loyola
Northwestern
Stony Brook

Everyone else?
Hard to find any cracks in your case, sea. It will indeed be interesting to see what the lineup looks like once the season gets up and running.

I would venture to include Florida, Maryland and Duke. If Stony Brook and NU are there, I think these 3 other teams belong as well. Unless I'm not clear on what separates NU and SB from these other teams. I just have a hunch about Duke. Having watched them play last year a couple times I was impressed with their young talent complimenting the jr's and sr's. I think they will take the next step this season and be right around the top 10 by seasons end. Maryland has Cathy Reese. I would be surprised if her team doesn't look better next year. I don't know if anyone was more relieved when last season ended prematurely. And Florida--they are hard to figure sometimes. They look like a powerhouse some games and other games they look like any other lacrosse program in the lesser antilles. But one can say that about NU and SB at times as well. Just some thoughts.
Something not being mentioned is that Covid19 could be a real deciding factor with any players testing positive. If it hits a team that’s a major problem - if it hits a few players. It could make or break a season, honestly, considering quarantine time is probably 2 to 3 weeks. ESP towards end of season, playoffs, etc.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:36 pm Something not being mentioned is that Covid19 could be a real deciding factor with any players testing positive. If it hits a team that’s a major problem - if it hits a few players. It could make or break a season, honestly, considering quarantine time is probably 2 to 3 weeks. ESP towards end of season, playoffs, etc.
Good point. This season could well end with an asterisk next to the winners of their conferences and the winner of The Tournament. I have no doubt in my mind that applies to the NHL and NBA from last year.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:08 pm
Cletus wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:35 pm the Heels will graduate 12--count 'em 12 seniors/grad students after this season: Ortega, Hoeg, Growney, Mastroianni, Miller, Trenchard, Wakefield, Bourque, Moreno, Woodruff, Nappi and Wood. So that's more pressure. I'm sure the graduating class of BC ladies in '19 could say a thing or two about that.

Just remember that the true Seniors in that group above have another year of eligibility, so they don't all face their last year this season if they choose to stay or transfer.
And I heard that UNC has a decent grad school as well...
LaxCoach13

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by LaxCoach13 »

I see Merrimack has posted for a new Head Coach? Does anyone know what happen to Coach Duffy? I thought she was doing well there and going through a transition is not easy
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

UNC
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Loyola
Northwestern
Stony Brook

Everyone else?

Sorry, I meant to respond to this some time ago and forgot.

I will believe in Florida and Duke when I see it. I don't want to offend anyone, but I think there is a coaching and "getting over the hump" deficit in both programs. Duke has had very talented classes year after year and almost always finishes middle of the pack in this excellent conference. Florida is good, not great. Put Cathy Reese or Middlebury's coach in charge of the talent at either of these schools and they win championships.

I am really interested to see what Maryland shows this year. Best coach in the business, but I am not sure that the talent is there. They had a deep weakness in the midfield last year (with the loss of Giles to graduation and Colson to injury) and the uncertainty about where to play G Griffin didn't help. But they were rounding into some form toward the end of the shortened season. Having Colson's speed and energy back will be very helpful to the Terps.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:02 pm

UNC
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Loyola
Northwestern
Stony Brook

Everyone else?

I will believe in Florida and Duke when I see it. I don't want to offend anyone, but I think there is a coaching and "getting over the hump" deficit in both programs. Duke has had very talented classes year after year and almost always finishes middle of the pack in this excellent conference. Florida is good, not great. Put Cathy Reese or Middlebury's coach in charge of the talent at either of these schools and they win championships.

I am really interested to see what Maryland shows this year. Best coach in the business, but I am not sure that the talent is there. They had a deep weakness in the midfield last year (with the loss of Giles to graduation and Colson to injury) and the uncertainty about where to play G Griffin didn't help. But they were rounding into some form toward the end of the shortened season. Having Colson's speed and energy back will be very helpful to the Terps.
Agree with your comments re Florida. They have had a lot of talented kids pass through their program....after awhile you have to look at coaching. Reese is a class act as is her assistants. And that integrity, accountability and team-first mentality starts at top. If you don’t have it...and preach it...and live it from coaches down to players - you get a runaway train. Cant speak for Duke...
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

If "Sweet Caroline" was played whenever former Maryland attacker Caroline Steele scored at home, doesn't it follow that Chuck Berry's "Nadine" should be played whenever Michigan attacker Ms. Stewart scores at U-M stadium?

https://youtu.be/1M9XdkUk298

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

As long as I'm on the subject of tall trees on the Michigan Wolverines, seems like coach is recruiting big. Check out the heights of her underclass:

Fr - 5'6", 5'10", 5'5", 5'7", 5'10", 5'7", 5'8", 5'9", 5'9"
So - 5'7", 5'5", 5'4", 5'10", 5'5", 5'6", 5'9", 5'8", 5'4"

Good strategy? Thoughts?
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

UNC
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Loyola
Northwestern
Stony Brook

Everyone else?

Agree on Florida and Dook and I will raise you a UVA.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:02 pm Duke has had very talented classes year after year and almost always finishes middle of the pack in this excellent conference. Florida is good, not great. Put Cathy Reese or Middlebury's coach in charge of the talent at either of these schools and they win championships.
...or BC during the era of the Big 3 😉
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:36 pm

UNC
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Loyola
Northwestern
Stony Brook

Everyone else?

Agree on Florida and Dook and I will raise you a UVA.
Basically agree WITW.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”