The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:23 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:30 pm Agreement may be near:

(article containing explanation of what seems to be in bill)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-polic ... -stimulus/

Ds get oversight of loans to biz, extra boost for unemployment benefits...

Rs get apparently some further farm relief (over tariff impact)
Damn crooks. "Never let a crisis go to waste" couldn't be any more accurate.
+1...
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Problem is the lobbyists are not sheltering in place at home. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Problem is the lobbyists are not sheltering in place at home. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
I say shut down and ban going to the Kennedy Center.....

Nancy wants 35mm for The Kennedy Center in this bill. She must of picked up were Marion Barry left off with the crack pipe. https://twitter.com/Oilfield_Rando/stat ... 20359?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

You’re good with saving foreign flagged cruise ships but nothing for American arts? People work there too.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Seems like it was only 11 years ago that every r told us we could not afford any economic stimulus during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression because the deficit. They also said it was economically worthless. Good times.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Trinity wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:27 pm You’re good with saving foreign flagged cruise ships but nothing for American arts? People work there too.
35mm for employees of the the Kennedy center.... :roll: :lol: What arts need help? You wanna know why they need that money at that specific locale....because they just renovated the entire area AND the adjacent Watergate was just renovated.....guess who lives in that area?, you guessed it, politicians. Why didn't they also include Strathmore, or D.A.R, Smithsonian, Lincoln Theater, etc.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Trinity wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:27 pm You’re good with saving foreign flagged cruise ships but nothing for American arts? People work there too.
Those foreign flagged cruise ships are flagged that way so they can avoid hiring American workers as well as avoid US taxes and occupational laws.
They don't need a bailout as they bailed on the USA a LONG TIME AGO.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:28 am
35mm for employees of the the Kennedy center.... :roll: :lol: What arts need help? You wanna know why they need that money at that specific locale....because they just renovated the entire area AND the adjacent Watergate was just renovated.....guess who lives in that area?, you guessed it, politicians. Why didn't they also include Strathmore, or D.A.R, Smithsonian, Lincoln Theater, etc.

If it is not obvious to anyone with a pulse, Nancy/gang extorted the urgency of the situation for her pet causes. That is politics, I suppose. You would hope the Democrats would be punished at the ballot box for playing with people's live, but also obvious is the fact that the media has massaged most Democrat's brains to believing that 1) Trump is the devil incarnate (and as evidenced here multiple times a day, the irony is that it is the Democrat Party writ large which is way less curious about facts and underlying systems than Republicans, hence, Democrats are way easier to snow-job) and 2) the sky is falling.

Anyway, it is good that the 'deal' passed, regardless how larded up on Democratic fat it is.

What you should now look for are some major, earth shattering changes in several aspects of our underlying financial system. I would keep your ears and eyes out for POTUS-directed changes coming soon. The next few months will be remarkably fluid. I predict a new, unknown level of TDS within 4 weeks.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

I wonder if afan will agree with me that its so wonderful Congress is going to pass the largest expenditure in human history with a voice vote. No record of how each idiot voted.

My favorite quote of the weekend "The country was founded by geniuses and is now run by idiots."
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Kramer not the least bit happy with the payroll holiday for employers. Wants way more to go to consumers.

My accounts thinks the cap on income for chopper money is WAY to low and the dollars to low.

Very interested to see how much ownership we are getting for our investments in the airlines and the restrictions in place. (I wish Trump had been as adamant about buybacks when the his tax bill was passed - why didn't he require companies that buy back stock from their tax windfall, you lose the benefit...seemed obvious back then and hypocritical now.

Evidently, Trump can't get money from Treasury deal, but it's not clear if he can access the Fed's lines of credit.

Astute post earlier - he would have been 10x better off if he had sold all of his businesses (avoiding all cap gains) or stuff them in an irrevocable, blind trust.

Nothing like being in the wrong industries when the itshay hits the fan...compounded by not being offered the .gov lifeline :shock:
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

The Senate had $4 billion for museums in their bill. 🤷
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 am

If it is not obvious to anyone with a pulse, Nancy/gang extorted the urgency of the situation for her pet causes. That is politics, I suppose. You would hope the Democrats would be punished at the ballot box for playing with people's live, but also obvious is the fact that the media has massaged most Democrat's brains to believing that 1) Trump is the devil incarnate (and as evidenced here multiple times a day, the irony is that it is the Democrat Party writ large which is way less curious about facts and underlying systems than Republicans, hence, Democrats are way easier to snow-job) and 2) the sky is falling.

Anyway, it is good that the 'deal' passed, regardless how larded up on Democratic fat it is.

What you should now look for are some major, earth shattering changes in several aspects of our underlying financial system. I would keep your ears and eyes out for POTUS-directed changes coming soon. The next few months will be remarkably fluid. I predict a new, unknown level of TDS within 4 weeks.
nah, you're really not a right wing Dem hating Trumpist, not you Pete! :roll:

geez, I wish this would all work out magically well.
Unfortunately the spread of the virus really doesn't care about all the Red Team Blue Team stuff.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:34 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:39 am

nah, you're really not a right wing Dem hating Trumpist, not you Pete! :roll:

geez, I wish this would all work out magically well.
Unfortunately the spread of the virus really doesn't care about all the Red Team Blue Team stuff.

I'm really not, but I can see how you might think I am.

Most Florida R's I know in Congress are very supportive of 'business'; most D's I know are openly hostile to my businesses. It's an easy call from that perspective. Most other business owners I know feel the same exact way; in fact many are passionate, whereas I like to think I am slightly more nuanced.

There was a Senator from Indiana whom I thought the world of: Evan Bayh; very business friendly. Most Florida Dems, if given the opportunity, would obliterate the economy down here (until the economy tanked). Trust me, our Democratic representatives are almost superhuman in their anti-business attitudes. It is hard to look past that vantage point. And of course the national Dems that get in the news don't do much to dissuade me of that opinion.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Following that up, you'd be hard pressed to find a member of congress more openly hostile to business than Ted Deutsch (D). These members are comically in the pocket of teacher's unions (getting school charter county approvals is a herculean task because these members sic their lawyers on the charter schools, tying them up in courts...this is all paid for by the NEA and UFT)

Not to be outdone in their hostility to for-profit companies an charter schools, here is a quick sampling of some of Florida's 'brightest':

Alcee Hastings
Debbie Wasserman Schultz
Al Lawson
Lois Frankel
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:15 pm Most Florida Dems, if given the opportunity, would obliterate the economy down here (until the economy tanked). Trust me, our Democratic representatives are almost superhuman in their anti-business attitudes.
Can you cite some anti-business laws/regulations that have been put into place in Florida over the last few years?
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Article of airlines behind the scenes:

https://isp.netscape.com/pf/story/0002/ ... BN21C24T_3

Senate bill set to give aviation sector up to $33 billion bailout: sources
By David Shepardson and Tracy Rucinski
Reuters
WASHINGTON/CHICAGO (Reuters) - A compromise $2 trillion economic rescue package that will be voted on by the U.S. Senate on Wednesday is set to give passenger airlines about $25 billion in grants, and up to another $8 billion for cargo carriers and airport contractors like caterers, three people briefed on the negotiations said.

Reuters reported Chao worked the phones late into the night talking to air carriers about what they needed to ensure they could maintain payrolls, a person briefed on call on Tuesday that lawmakers were nearing agreement on a deal for cash grants for payroll and other airline employee costs, after airlines made a last-minute effort to convince lawmakers they needed the cash to prevent the layoff of tens of thousands of workers.

The aid package is expected to include a further $29 billion in loans for airlines, and the government could receive equity, warrants or other compensation as part of the rescue package. U.S. airports are set to receive $10 billion in grants under the agreement.

The final text is still being drafted but will include restrictions on stock buybacks, dividends and executive compensation.

Senate Republicans on Sunday rejected any grants for airlines and instead proposed $58 billion in loans for airlines. Major airlines sounded the alarm and emphasized in recent days that without grants, they had short-term plans to quickly furlough tens of thousands of workers as travel demand collapses amid the coronavirus pandemic.

On Sunday, the carriers promised not to lay off workers through Aug. 31 if they won grants.

Sara Nelson, president of the Association of Flight Attendants said on Twitter it was a "HUGE fight but we WON on this - We got the deal structured around maintaining payroll, no (involuntary) furloughs."

Airlines and airline unions won crucial support from U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao, who spoke to lawmakers and others in the administration about the crisis.

In a memo Chao had drafted that was seen by Reuters, she noted that airlines employ 750,000 U.S. workers. She was worried about a dramatic decline in the U.S. aviation sector that could reduce competition, and the potential loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs, people briefed on the matter said.

"Without grant assistance, U.S. airlines have warned that they may be forced to furlough employees or declare bankruptcy," Chao's memo warned. "Without grants, airlines may be forced to choose bankruptcy over federal loans, if loan conditions are too inflexible."

Chao worked the phones late into the night talking to air carriers about what they needed to ensure they could maintain payrolls, said a person briefed on call.

The government will also provide significant funding to Amtrak and U.S. transit systems that have both seen ridership fall dramatically as states order tens of millions of Americans to stay home and avoid non-essential travel.

Boeing Co <BA.N> could also receive government loans or loan guarantees under the bill, but it was not clear if they would tap $17 billion in loan funding set aside for national security-related loans that were part of the Republican bill released on Sunday. Boeing had sought at least $60 billion in government loan guarantees for itself and the entire aerospace manufacturing sector.

(Reporting by David Shepardson, Tracy Rucinski and Doina Chiacu; Editing by Bernadette Baum)

03/25/2020 15:24
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:24 pm Following that up, you'd be hard pressed to find a member of congress more openly hostile to business than Ted Deutsch (D). These members are comically in the pocket of teacher's unions (getting school charter county approvals is a herculean task because these members sic their lawyers on the charter schools, tying them up in courts...this is all paid for by the NEA and UFT)

Not to be outdone in their hostility to for-profit companies an charter schools, here is a quick sampling of some of Florida's 'brightest':

Alcee Hastings
Debbie Wasserman Schultz
Al Lawson
Lois Frankel

So someone who is pro teacher, pro education, pro union, and, by logical extension, pro school children is, in your mind, "openly hostile to business". Interesting. I suppose then that someone who is pro business is automatically anti teacher, anti education, anti union, and anti school children. Using your "logic" I guess that's a fair assumption. :?:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:36 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:24 pm Following that up, you'd be hard pressed to find a member of congress more openly hostile to business than Ted Deutsch (D). These members are comically in the pocket of teacher's unions (getting school charter county approvals is a herculean task because these members sic their lawyers on the charter schools, tying them up in courts...this is all paid for by the NEA and UFT)

Alcee Hastings
Debbie Wasserman Schultz
Al Lawson
Lois Frankel

So someone who is pro teacher, pro education, pro union, and, by logical extension, pro school children is, in your mind, "openly hostile to business". Interesting. I suppose then that someone who is pro business is automatically anti teacher, anti education, anti union, and anti school children. Using your "logic" I guess that's a fair assumption. :?:

Ummmm, you are saying these members are "pro" school children? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They are pro-teacher's union cash, that is for sure. The efforts they make to thwart charter schools is comical.

Pro-children is a description I have not heard about Ted! But I appreciate the laugh!
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:28 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:15 pm Most Florida Dems, if given the opportunity, would obliterate the economy down here (until the economy tanked). Trust me, our Democratic representatives are almost superhuman in their anti-business attitudes.
Can you cite some anti-business laws/regulations that have been put into place in Florida over the last few years?
:lol: Good one!

He can't answer that old gotcha question - "what's your favorite BHO regulation Trump has over-turned, let expire, didn't pursue or is fighting in court"

Mine - financial advisors don't have to reach a higher level of fiduciary standards....part of that reg ensured there can be no class action suits against firms, just arbitration.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:28 pm

a fan, you might not know this living halfway across the country, but Florida is a Republican state. The governor and the legislature. To the extent that laws do get passed, it is to help make the state more business friendly. To the extent that good things have now transpired with respect to the water and the Everglades, that is due solely to Ron DeSantis (who refused to accept money from Big Sugar...)

Here is a situation below that had the Democrats in a state of universal uproar:

https://www.browardpalmbeach.com/news/b ... s-10461675

My original comments are from interactions with the aforementioned officials, comments made to groups of business owners (shakedown?). You'd think you might be back in the USSR (not to borrow a tune). Ted would outlaw for-profit enterprises if he had the authority.

Mind you, this is the same crowd that almost elected Andy Gillum...

Return to “POLITICS”