Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by Brooklyn »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:55 pm
Herman Cain was a great man, very smart businessman. Politely keep your political opinions out of this thread, there's a thread where they belong.

Go Twins,
JoeMauer89

Normally, I would say nutz to you sweetheart but, lucky you, I don't wanna risk the Admin's wrath.

And in case you didn't know it, there have been plenty of political comments in posts above. So mebbe you want to show how tough you imagine yourself to be by smartin' off to them.

Oh by the way, I saw you play against Humboldt High back in the day here in St Paul's West Side. You might recall they used the Williams shift on you which is a play being used very often in MLB nowadays.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
njbill

Post by njbill »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:55 pm Herman Cain was a great man, very smart businessman. Politely keep your political opinions out of this thread, there's a thread where they belong.

Go Twins,
JoeMauer89
I’ll give you that he appears to have been a smart businessman, but “a great man”? Never struck me as such. Why do you think he was great?

Not sure that the multiple women who accused him of sexual assault and having a decade+ long affair would agree he was a great man.

He did drop out of the 2012 race because of those allegations, if I may have your permission to mention politics.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:53 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:55 pm
Herman Cain was a great man, very smart businessman. Politely keep your political opinions out of this thread, there's a thread where they belong.

Go Twins,
JoeMauer89

Normally, I would say nutz to you sweetheart but, lucky you, I don't wanna risk the Admin's wrath.

And in case you didn't know it, there have been plenty of political comments in posts above. So mebbe you want to show how tough you imagine yourself to be by smartin' off to them.

Oh by the way, I saw you play against Humboldt High back in the day here in St Paul's West Side. You might recall they used the Williams shift on you which is a play being used very often in MLB nowadays.
Brook,

Poorly worded on my part. What I meant was in this forum its usually to recall anecdotes/memories of peoples lives. Politics inevitably finds its way in. Its very unfortunate that Herman Cain has to become a political weapon in regards to CV-19, but it looks like thats the way its headed. I'll keep my thoughts on that to myself. They absolutely used the Williams shift on me, because I only struck out ONCE in all of High School. And BTW, I really considered going to Florida State to play QB there. It was just was much a sport I loved, who knows maybe I would have ended up on the Vikings and had a 16 year Pro Bowl Career. Kirk Cousins may have never had the career arc he did, and maybe if RGIII gets hurt, hes still the starter in Washington and Alex Smith never leaves SF and never gets hurt! Think about that for a second...

Go Twins,
JoeMauer89
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:59 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:55 pm Herman Cain was a great man, very smart businessman. Politely keep your political opinions out of this thread, there's a thread where they belong.

Go Twins,
JoeMauer89
I’ll give you that he appears to have been a smart businessman, but “a great man”? Never struck me as such. Why do you think he was great?

Not sure that the multiple women who accused him of sexual assault and having a decade+ long affair would agree he was a great man.

He did drop out of the 2012 race because of those allegations, if I may have your permission to mention politics.
njbill,

I conflated great businessman with great man, that one is on me. I agree with you there, his character was lacking in a lot of other areas. Politics is inevitably tied in I agree, Its just a little unfortunate for him to become a political tool but that's how its headed. I always thought his slogan for Godfather's Pizza should have been, "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCfH4c7RR6M

"This is pizza"

Go Twins,
JoeMauer89
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:51 am
... I'll keep my thoughts on that to myself. They absolutely used the Williams shift on me, because I only struck out ONCE in all of High School. And BTW, I really considered going to Florida State to play QB there. It was just was much a sport I loved, who knows maybe I would have ended up on the Vikings and had a 16 year Pro Bowl Career. Kirk Cousins may have never had the career arc he did, and maybe if RGIII gets hurt, hes still the starter in Washington and Alex Smith never leaves SF and never gets hurt! Think about that for a second...

Go Twins,
JoeMauer89

This is a forum so there's no need to keep your thoughts to yourself. On the contrary, we are here to express ourselves, thanks to Admin.

Re Wiliams shift, yes, your quick bat enabled you to keep from striking out. But I think it was your great pull hitting that forced the Hawks to use it.

I distinctly recall how you were projected more as a NFL prospect in your days at CDH. Thankfully, you did not go there. Reminds me of Bob Paradise (also from CDH) who was projected as a MLB project and went undrafted by the NHL. Yet, he had a 14 year pro hockey career. Heck of a player for darn sure.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:17 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:51 am
... I'll keep my thoughts on that to myself. They absolutely used the Williams shift on me, because I only struck out ONCE in all of High School. And BTW, I really considered going to Florida State to play QB there. It was just was much a sport I loved, who knows maybe I would have ended up on the Vikings and had a 16 year Pro Bowl Career. Kirk Cousins may have never had the career arc he did, and maybe if RGIII gets hurt, hes still the starter in Washington and Alex Smith never leaves SF and never gets hurt! Think about that for a second...

Go Twins,
JoeMauer89

This is a forum so there's no need to keep your thoughts to yourself. On the contrary, we are here to express ourselves, thanks to Admin.

Re Wiliams shift, yes, your quick bat enabled you to keep from striking out. But I think it was your great pull hitting that forced the Hawks to use it.

I distinctly recall how you were projected more as a NFL prospect in your days at CDH. Thankfully, you did not go there. Reminds me of Bob Paradise (also from CDH) who was projected as a MLB project and went undrafted by the NHL. Yet, he had a 14 year pro hockey career. Heck of a player for darn sure.
Brook,

I found this online, since we are going down that path. Some interesting names on this list!

https://athlonsports.com/two-sport-athl ... e-greatest

Go Twins,
JoeMauer89
Brooklyn

Re: never to be forgotten

Post by Brooklyn »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:55 am
Brook,

I found this online, since we are going down that path. Some interesting names on this list!

https://athlonsports.com/two-sport-athl ... e-greatest

Go Twins,
JoeMauer89

Great list but there is one humongous name missing - Joan Joyce who excelled at FOUR sports and is still coaching:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Joyce

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/04/36/53/ ... /360x0.jpg

Also missing is a long list of Brits who excelled at cricket and soccer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5teucDoGadQ

And there is an even bigger list of players who excelled at cricket and field hockey.

So many greatly gifted athletes over the years! Never to be forgotten.

njbill

Post by njbill »

To me, the biggest omission is Wilt. Track and field (numerous running events, high jump, shot put) and volleyball. How would you like to be on the receiving end of a Wilt spike?

Great list though. Thanks for posting.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:21 pm To me, the biggest omission is Wilt. Track and field (numerous running events, high jump, shot put) and volleyball. How would you like to be on the receiving end of a Wilt spike?

Great list though. Thanks for posting.

Bingo!

I was saying to myself, some really big Super Star is missing - but who?

Now I know!

njbill

Post by njbill »

I was just debating this with my cousin who ran track in high school and college.

In high school, Wilt ran a 49.0 440. The world record at the time was 45.8. The guy who finished third in the race in which the world record was set ran 49.8.

Remember when he was going to box Ali? Wilt was a great athlete but I think it would have been a mistake to get in the ring with the champ. :lol:
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:48 pm I was just debating this with my cousin who ran track in high school and college.

In high school, Wilt ran a 49.0 440. The world record at the time was 45.8. The guy who finished third in the race in which the world record was set ran 49.8.

Remember when he was going to box Ali? Wilt was a great athlete but I think it would have been a mistake to get in the ring with the champ. :lol:
Agreed there!
njbill

Post by njbill »

Wilt and Ali, and Cosell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuX7FlddCRg

Jim Brown discussing the proposed Wilt vs. Ali fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyrP3HqkpRw
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Brooklyn, NY loses another one of its many great heroes, Pete Hamill:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pete+ha ... e&ie=UTF-8

During his career as a New York City journalist, he was described as "the author of columns that sought to capture the particular flavors of New York City's politics and sports and the particular pathos of its crime."

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Hoss Clarke:

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/s ... 2cf33.html

The testimonial given in that article is a bit charitable as Hoss was largely blamed (unjustly) for the Yanks decline in the mid 60s. During that period he got more hits than anyone in the AL except for Boston's Carl Yaz. This means he was on base quite a few times but the rest of the team failed to drive him in. He did break up a few no hitters and was a good community spokesman for the Yanks doing much charitable work on their behalf.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Ugandan Head Hunter:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/w ... is-dead-70

Acknowledged as one of the sport's toughest, yet nicest outside of the ring. He was not shy about condemning racism faced by him and his peers. Though underpaid compared to other headliner grapplers he stayed in the business because he genuinely enjoyed it.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Hadn't hear until I saw the post above that Coach Lute Olson also passed away.

CU88

Post by CU88 »

Amazing!

Wind, sea and stars

Marvin Creamer died on August 12th
The first man known to have sailed round the globe without using instruments was 104

Obituary
Aug 29th 2020 edition

When francis drake rounded the globe in 1577-80, he took an astrolabe, compass and cross-staff with him. As Ferdinand Magellan, the first known circumnavigator, started out in 1519, he had at least an astrolabe and compass. But when Marvin Creamer set sail from Cape May, New Jersey in 1982, into thick overcast and a howling gale, on a voyage of 30,000 miles requiring nearly a year at sea, he carried, to his delight, no instruments at all.

Well, to be quite accurate, there were a few. He had an hourglass, the only time-keeper, to mark the watches of his small crew. Down in the bilge, in a duffel bag, were a radio, sextant, compass and clock, in case of emergency. His wife Blanche, with whom he had had months of lively discussions about this voyage—she dead against him sailing off, he, at 66, desperate to go—had insisted on this. But he had had it sealed by the navy, intending never to get those “toys” out, and never did. Lastly, there was a transmitter somewhere on the Globe Star to give the little cutter-rigged sloop’s position regularly to the coast guard. But it did not tell him where he was, and that was vital. He was going by the stars.

https://www.economist.com/obituary/2020 ... ugust-12th
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”