hmmm

Re: Looking Forward to 2022

Post by hmmm »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:18 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:30 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:54 pm Oh what the heck:

UVA v Elon UVA by 3

Syracuse v Stanford Orange by 2

Duke v Webb. Duke by 10+, or whatever....

Irish v CMich. ☘️ By 10+, or whatever

BC v NU. Northwestern by one.

Fla v Kennesaw Florida by 8 -12

Jacksonville v Va. Tech VT by 2

JMU v UNC. Heels by 5

UVA v Cal. UVA by 8

Syracuse v Bingo Syracuse by 10

Catholics v Michigan Catholics by 6.
Wow look at you with the NU pick over BC .
I'm not exactly risking anything, except my [anonymous poster on a niche website forum] credibility.

I think it'll be a very good game, maybe with the usual out of the gate, game in February mistakes by both teams. But I do think the NU kids and staff will be as hungry as a team can be, and if BC let's them hang around, then...who knows. I'll still be rooting for BC, JFTR.
Personally I'm not buying into that NU as suddenly figured out how to defend and that their defense was going to shock people as was written in their US Lax Magazine preview. Maybe they have. Their defense has been an issue for years so not sure why it would be different this year. I expect this to be a shootout just like most NU games are against top competition but BC should be able to get more stops in my opinion. Should be a great game.
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

UVA v Elon - UVA by 8

Syracuse v Stanford - Orange by 6

Duke v Webb - Duke by a lot

Irish v CMich - ND by a lot

BC v NU - BC by 4

Fla v Kennesaw - Florida by 7

Jacksonville v Va. Tech - Jacksonville by 1

JMU v UNC - UNC by 8

UVA v Cal - UVA by 9

Syracuse v Bing - Syracuse by a lot

ND v Michigan - ND by 2
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

LaxDad23 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:51 pm UVA v Elon - UVA by 8
Agree
Syracuse v Stanford - Orange by 6
Agree****
Duke v Webb - Duke by a lot
Agreeeeee***
Irish v CMich - ND by a lot
Agreeeee*
BC v NU - BC by 4
I think bc by 7******
Fla v Kennesaw - Florida by 7
This will be interesting. I say gators by 4****
Jacksonville v Va. Tech - Jacksonville by 1
Jacksonville by 4****
JMU v UNC - UNC by 8
Agree. Maybe more ***
UVA v Cal - UVA by 9
UVA by 6****
Syracuse v Bing - Syracuse by a lot
Cuse by 10+. Everyone plays
ND v Michigan - ND by 2
Nd by 5****
quote]
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

hmmm wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:41 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:18 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:30 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:54 pm Oh what the heck:

UVA v Elon UVA by 3

Syracuse v Stanford Orange by 2

Duke v Webb. Duke by 10+, or whatever....

Irish v CMich. ☘️ By 10+, or whatever

BC v NU. Northwestern by one.

Fla v Kennesaw Florida by 8 -12

Jacksonville v Va. Tech VT by 2

JMU v UNC. Heels by 5

UVA v Cal. UVA by 8

Syracuse v Bingo Syracuse by 10

Catholics v Michigan Catholics by 6.
Wow look at you with the NU pick over BC .
I'm not exactly risking anything, except my [anonymous poster on a niche website forum] credibility.

I think it'll be a very good game, maybe with the usual out of the gate, game in February mistakes by both teams. But I do think the NU kids and staff will be as hungry as a team can be, and if BC let's them hang around, then...who knows. I'll still be rooting for BC, JFTR.
Personally I'm not buying into that NU as suddenly figured out how to defend and that their defense was going to shock people as was written in their US Lax Magazine preview. Maybe they have. Their defense has been an issue for years so not sure why it would be different this year. I expect this to be a shootout just like most NU games are against top competition but BC should be able to get more stops in my opinion. Should be a great game.
Think you’re probably right about all this, but it’s fun to pick the upset.

Hope your daughter has a good debut this weekend.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

hmmm wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:41 pm
seacoaster wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:18 pm I think it'll be a very good game, maybe with the usual out of the gate, game in February mistakes by both teams. But I do think the NU kids and staff will be as hungry as a team can be, and if BC let's them hang around, then...who knows. I'll still be rooting for BC, JFTR.
I can see it happening either way. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it ends up as seacoaster describes.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cummings article slights Boston College

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:51 am I think this article by Taylor Cummings casts a little shade on Boston College:

2. Kayla Treanor hired as the newest Syracuse head coach.

Syracuse had another spectacular year in 2021, falling just short of victory in the national championship game.

With her success as a former Orange player and current U.S. national team veteran, combined with her experience as an assistant coach at BC (where she coached the team to four championship game appearances and a victory), Treanor made it quite clear that she should be next in line and earned the job this summer.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... f-the-year
So--this was the shade cast on Boston College in Cummings's article.

First--saying that Syracuse fell "just short" of victory in the national championship game.

In reality, BC took complete control of the game in the 2nd half. They ran away from Syracuse, scoring 6 of the first 7, and 8 of the 10 total goals scored in the half. They won by 6. In the last 11 national finals, the only other team to win by that large a margin was Carolina in 2016. The next closest margin of victory during that span was 3. "Just short", indeed. What tripe.

Second--saying Treanor coached BC to 4 championship game appearances and a victory with nary a mention of head coach Acacia Walker-Weinstein. How about helped to coach BC? Definite shade on coach Acacia, and by extension--the 2021 National Champion Boston College Eagles.

😎
hmmm

Re: Cummings article slights Boston College

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:32 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:51 am I think this article by Taylor Cummings casts a little shade on Boston College:

Syracuse had another spectacular year in 2021, falling just short of victory in the national championship game.

With her success as a former Orange player and current U.S. national team veteran, combined with her experience as an assistant coach at BC (where she coached the team to four championship game appearances and a victory), Treanor made it quite clear that she should be next in line and earned the job this summer.

First--saying that Syracuse fell "just short" of victory in the national championship game.

In reality, BC took complete control of the game in the 2nd half. They ran away from Syracuse, scoring 6 of the first 7, and 8 of the 10 total goals scored in the half. They won by 6. In the last 11 national finals, the only other team to win by that large a margin was Carolina in 2016. The next closest margin of victory during that span was 3. "Just short", indeed. What tripe.

Second--saying Treanor coached BC to 4 championship game appearances and a victory with nary a mention of head coach Acacia Walker-Weinstein. How about helped to coach BC? Definite shade on coach Acacia, and by extension--the 2021 National Champion Boston College Eagles.

😎
If you think TC was throwing shade at a fellow Terp you're most likely reading too much into her post.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:21 am

😎
If you think TC was throwing shade at a fellow Terp you're most likely reading too much into her post.
Could have been unintentional; a lack of proofreading perhaps—but it’s still a slight. Plus, having played for the same team doesn’t guarantee loyalty for life, or whatever.
OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:37 am

😎
Could have been unintentional; a lack of proofreading perhaps—but it’s still a slight. Plus, having played for the same team doesn’t guarantee loyalty for life, or whatever.
Went back to do a little research on this. Acacia played for Cindy Timchal; Cummings--Reese. Acacia didn't play on any championship winning teams at Maryland, Cummings was on 2. After graduating, Acacia became an assistant coach for Northwestern who would become their arch rival. Cummings has remained a devoted Terp since her career ended. Two completely different Maryland experiences. I don't see where loyalty enters the equation.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Acacia did play under Cathy Reese for several year when Cathy was the Assistant Coach before leaving for Denver. The loyalty to Maryland for players under Timchal and Reese is extreme. Look at the former players who attended the 2019 championships that are assistant or head coaches elsewhere. It is my understanding that Cathy Reese and Alicia are close friends.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland75 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:27 am Acacia did play under Cathy Reese for several year when Cathy was the Assistant Coach before leaving for Denver. The loyalty to Maryland for players under Timchal and Reese is extreme. Look at the former players who attended the 2019 championships that are assistant or head coaches elsewhere. It is my understanding that Cathy Reese and Alicia are close friends.
Cummings was more the focus of my original comments.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:19 am

😎
Went back to do a little research on this. Acacia played for Cindy Timchal; Cummings--Reese. Acacia didn't play on any championship winning teams at Maryland, Cummings was on 2. After graduating, Acacia became an assistant coach for Northwestern who would become their arch rival. Cummings has remained a devoted Terp since her career ended. Two completely different Maryland experiences. I don't see where loyalty enters the equation.
So in short, Taylor Cummings was throwing shade at BC because she

1. used the phrase "fell just short"
2. Mentioned that Treanor "coached" instead of specifically saying that she "helped coach" & mentioned Boston College as her former employer but not AWW specifically?

In the first half it was a very close back and forth game, with BC opening a wide lead in the second half. So after an entire season of work (which is what she is referring to when she says "Syracuse had another spectacular year in 2021"), 20.5 games, they fall short by about 30 minutes? I don't think the use of the phrase "fell just short" is that much of an over-exaggeration. If she had described it as a "heart-breaking, gut-wrenching loss that was down to the wire" I'd say that was a little much. But I feel that to point out the phrase "fell just short" and specifically call it out as "shade" towards BC is a huge reach.

2. Mentioned that Treanor "coached" instead of specifically saying that she "helped coach" & mentioned Boston College as her former employer but not AWW specifically?:
First off, this article is about Kayla Treanor and Syracuse. Not Boston College or AWW. The article specifically describes Treanor as an assistant coach. You even have it quoted above. I don't think the following statement saying she "coached BC" is misleading. To specify that Treanor "helped coach", when the sentence immediately preceding that phrase identifies her as an "assistant coach", is redundant and understates an assistant coach's role. If you were talking to someone who is an assistant coach, and they describe what they do at their job as "coaching", would you immediately feel the need to correct them and say "actually, no, you help coach"?

Assistant coaches are also given their own specific areas of development that are their sole responsibility. There are articles quoting AWW about giving Treanor specific duties and responsibilities that are hers alone. On draw controls: “I wanted her to take over and make all the changes that she wanted to and develop the individual player.” Do assistant coaches help the head coach? Absolutely, but they also coach and are more than capable of doing so.

And here's the real kicker - TC did get one thing wrong, Treanor was not the assistant coach at BC when she took the job at Cuse. She was the Associate Head Coach.

The mention of Boston College as her former employer, and not AWW specifically, I strongly feel is not "shade" at AWW or at Boston College (again, they literally mention Boston College...). This wasn't the press release. This was written seven months after Treanor was announced as the new HC at Syracuse. If you're reading Taylor Cumming's opinion column in niche publication like USA Lacrosse Magazine, the February after BC's national championship season, I highly doubt you need to be told who the head coach at Boston College is. But if you do, you're given more enough information to find out. Google is free.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

😎
Then you don't know anything about how the MD wlax alumni system works. It doesn't matter what era they played in. There is no world that TC would intentionally throw shade at a fellow Terp. There is only one possible exception to that and it's not AWW.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

hmmm wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:49 am

😎
Then you don't know anything about how the MD wlax alumni system works. It doesn't matter what era they played in. There is no world that TC would intentionally throw shade at a fellow Terp. There is only one possible exception to that and it's not AWW.
Does that one exception have a brother who played a little hockey?

Joe
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:15 am
hmmm wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:49 am

😎
Does that one exception have a brother who played a little hockey?

Joe
You know the answer if you're asking that question....
njbill

Post by njbill »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:28 am

😎
So in short, Taylor Cummings was throwing shade at BC because she

2. Mentioned that Treanor "coached" instead of specifically saying that she "helped coach" & mentioned Boston College as her former employer but not AWW specifically?

In the first half it was a very close back and forth game, with BC opening a wide lead in the second half. So after an entire season of work (which is what she is referring to when she says "Syracuse had another spectacular year in 2021"), 20.5 games, they fall short by about 30 minutes? I don't think the use of the phrase "fell just short" is that much of an over-exaggeration. If she had described it as a "heart-breaking, gut-wrenching loss that was down to the wire" I'd say that was a little much. But I feel that to point out the phrase "fell just short" and specifically call it out as "shade" towards BC is a huge reach.

2. Mentioned that Treanor "coached" instead of specifically saying that she "helped coach" & mentioned Boston College as her former employer but not AWW specifically?:
First off, this article is about Kayla Treanor and Syracuse. Not Boston College or AWW. The article specifically describes Treanor as an assistant coach. You even have it quoted above. I don't think the following statement saying she "coached BC" is misleading. To specify that Treanor "helped coach", when the sentence immediately preceding that phrase identifies her as an "assistant coach", is redundant and understates an assistant coach's role. If you were talking to someone who is an assistant coach, and they describe what they do at their job as "coaching", would you immediately feel the need to correct them and say "actually, no, you help coach"?

Assistant coaches are also given their own specific areas of development that are their sole responsibility. There are articles quoting AWW about giving Treanor specific duties and responsibilities that are hers alone. On draw controls: “I wanted her to take over and make all the changes that she wanted to and develop the individual player.” Do assistant coaches help the head coach? Absolutely, but they also coach and are more than capable of doing so.

And here's the real kicker - TC did get one thing wrong, Treanor was not the assistant coach at BC when she took the job at Cuse. She was the Associate Head Coach.

The mention of Boston College as her former employer, and not AWW specifically, I strongly feel is not "shade" at AWW or at Boston College (again, they literally mention Boston College...). This wasn't the press release. This was written seven months after Treanor was announced as the new HC at Syracuse. If you're reading Taylor Cumming's opinion column in niche publication like USA Lacrosse Magazine, the February after BC's national championship season, I highly doubt you need to be told who the head coach at Boston College is. But if you do, you're given more enough information to find out. Google is free.
Excellent post.

The notion that Cummings, who is among the nicest and best respected players (no, make that THE MOST respected player) in the game would (or did) slight or throw shade on Walker is "ridiculous" and "irrational" (to use terms he has directed at me).

Oh, and the language quoted, as many have noted, does no such that. That's not opinion. That's fact.
OuttaNowhereWregget

As I wrote earlier in this thread:

“Could have been unintentional; a lack of proofreading perhaps—but it’s still a slight.”
DMac

Post by DMac »

There's nothing unintentional and it looks to me as if the proofreaders didn't miss anything.
It's just not a slight, which w'20 clearly explains, but you use words by your terms, the rest
of us just have to understand that.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:45 pm There's nothing unintentional and it looks to me as if the proofreaders didn't miss anything.
It's just not a slight, which w'20 clearly explains, but you use words by your terms, the rest
of us just have to understand that.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I stand by my take—unwaveringly and with deep conviction.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”