Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:52 pm Freshmen second line middies who are capable of scoring 4 goals in a game against a top 10 opponent don't grow on trees. Especially ones who are 6'4'' with soft hands to finish in traffic and a laser beam of a shot from up top and on the wing.

Remember: Not an IL top 100 recruit. He was a few years ago, but they took him off the list at some point. Whoops.
They don't grow on trees, they apparently grow in Canada.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:52 pm Freshmen second line middies who are capable of scoring 4 goals in a game against a top 10 opponent don't grow on trees. Especially ones who are 6'4'' with soft hands to finish in traffic and a laser beam of a shot from up top and on the wing.

Remember: Not an IL top 100 recruit. He was a few years ago, but they took him off the list at some point. Whoops.
Needed to backfill the UA guys. I like him. Going to score a lot of goals. A passing lefty middie that can get to the middle of the field and is a willing passer is going to pile up assists.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:21 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:11 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:48 pm Rutgers acquitted themselves well against the #1 ACC in UNC. Transitive property is not great science, but it's the best thing we have this year without non-con play, and it suggests the Jays were a pretty darn good team in their last four games.

Four games does not a season make, but I don't see a hugely compelling reason why we can't play like that—or close to that—for a full season in 2022. Not saying we will, I just don't see why we can't. It feels like something clicked into place in those last 3 weeks or so that can carry over.

We know we're losing Williams, and might lose a couple other contributors, but relative to other teams (Bernhardt at UMD, Rutgers' entire attack, O'Keefe at PSU, LeClaire/Terefenko at OSU, the Yale guys at Denver, a ton of guys in the ACC), I think we may end up losing less than many top teams.

That's all I got. Have heard some rumblings but still no official word on who's returning vs. who isn't.
I think that's entirely correct. It's likely that we're losing much less than (1) the entire ACC and (2) the rest of the B1G. On the flip side though, our incoming class is much less heralded than of those other teams. Not entirely sure that matters, but it's nonetheless true. Also on the flip side, the Ivy league will be back. I'm cautiously optimistic that we're back in the tourney next year, though not a real contender for Memorial Day weekend.

Heard on the Dixon podcast that if Hop doesn't have anyone on the USILA's AA list, it will be the first time since 1945. That's a bummer. Continually cracks me up that Dixon can't get Nawreski's name right - keeps calling him Danny.
Jojo Todaro should make it, though no idea if he will. He's the 7th ranked defenseman in the class, and they usually choose 12 (6 per team, each guy plays two quarters). Meaningless game but would be nice to have at least one Jay represented seeing as it's being played at Homewood.
I have liked what I have read about him. First, the kid has a great sounding name. He’s reportedly a “groundball machine.” Liked how he responded when asked how he is trying to improve: “shooting.”

https://flglacrosse.com/2019/10/18/jojo ... kins-blue/

Can’t wait to watch this young defenseman cause a turnover, grab the groundball, rush upfield in transition, and score a goal.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Found a podcast with incoming goalie Jack Webb, or "Sgt. Friday."

https://laxgoalierat.com/jack-webb/

Seems like a good kid. He's the type of recruit Petro may not have given the time of day. Very late bloomer but has thrived after earning the opportunity to start in the MIAA late in his high school career.

Marcille is the leader in the clubhouse to start next year but with Webb and the Amherst guy coming in it could be an interesting goalie room. Kirson and Darby both have another year of eligibility but I don't know their statuses.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:05 pm Found a podcast with incoming goalie Jack Webb, or "Sgt. Friday."

https://laxgoalierat.com/jack-webb/

Seems like a good kid. He's the type of recruit Petro may not have given the time of day. Very late bloomer but has thrived after earning the opportunity to start in the MIAA late in his high school career.

Marcille is the leader in the clubhouse to start next year but with Webb and the Amherst guy coming in it could be an interesting goalie room. Kirson and Darby both have another year of eligibility but I don't know their statuses.
Generally I'm skeptical about getting worked up about incoming freshmen except for top 10 nationally ranked guys but PM seemed a lot more willing as the season went on than Petro was to adjust the lineup and give other kids a chance to move up the depth chart into the lineup so with fall practices who knows.

The bigger issue is still the massive roster crunch.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:11 am
The bigger issue is still the massive roster crunch.
This is going to be an issue for almost every program. While it is an awful conversation to have as a coach, but, it is one that you should have with kids that are at the end of the roster about whether they should remain on the team. There is a numerous cost to having them on the team from just playing time needed in drills to financial costs. Some of those end of the roster kids bring great locker room chemistry. Other guys don't. The conversation should basically be about those kids where the figurative "bad" outweighs the "good" with the result being helping them find another D1 program, drop down to DIII or stay at Hopkins as a general population student and potentially play for the club team.

This is going to be an issue for almost every program - even the Ivy's. Though I have no idea how the Ivy's are going to work through their roster issues with the current blanket treatment of no grad students being able to play sports. I know some programs had players take mass leaves (like the Princeton's women's team) for a semester to keep within the Ivy eligibility rules.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the sun has a story on petro on espn this weekend. sounds like he really really wants to be back in d1 coaching next year.

“I’m poking my nose around,” he said. “A lot of this is dependent on if people have interest in you. I’m aware there are a lot of good coaches out there, and the season hasn’t come to an end yet. So we’ll see what happens and what transpires in the next two weeks or so.”
But if his weekend appearances with ESPN are deemed a success, could Pietramala follow predecessors like Army West Point’s Jack Emmer, Denver’s Jamie Munro and UMBC’s Don Zimmerman into a career in TV?
“You’re kind to think I could even hit it off,” Pietramala said. “But I would much rather be on the sideline, and I’d much rather be talking to reporters than being one. And that is in no way, shape or form meant as a negative to the media. But there’s no place I’d rather be than on a sideline.”
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

That right there is a great example of one of the things I’ve always liked about Coach Pietramala (yes, still “Coach” to me): he is very savvy in his conversations in knowing something could be taken the wrong way and immediately stating that’s not what he means at all.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

USILA All America team is out.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... year/57997

Doesn't look like the Jays have anyone on it.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:53 am That right there is a great example of one of the things I’ve always liked about Coach Pietramala (yes, still “Coach” to me): he is very savvy in his conversations in knowing something could be taken the wrong way and immediately stating that’s not what he means at all.
Did you really post this at 4 Am in the morning?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

We're losing 2% in scholarship funding next year because the program apparently made some clerical financial aid errors in '17 and '20, which broke NCAA rules. School discovered it during an internal audit last year and reported to the NCAA. Women's program is losing 5%, both next year and the year after. So sounds like the women made the bigger oopsie.

It's not a big deal but in today's environment, every dollar counts.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... e-programs
The NCAA enforcement staff and the school agreed that the school did not notify 77 men’s and women’s lacrosse student-athletes of the renewal, reduction or cancellation of their scholarships by the required July 1 deadline. In nearly every case, the school issued renewal letters but did not distribute them until after the deadline.

The parties agreed that the men’s lacrosse head coach worked with multiple student-athletes and/or their families to reduce their scholarships, resulting in the school not providing 12 student-athletes with a written notification of the reductions to their scholarships or information about a hearing opportunity. The school also did not have an established hearing process available to student-athletes whose scholarships were reduced or canceled, which is required under NCAA rules.

According to the agreement, the school also incorrectly applied its cost-of-attendance figure for textbooks instead of the correct place holder amount, resulting in a clerical error that led to the men’s and women’s lacrosse programs exceeding maximum team scholarship limits by a slight amount.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I don't know what probation means. 2 percent cut in $ with 68 potentially on board for next year just means PM has more incentive to cull the roster which he needs to do anyway.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:26 pm I don't know what probation means. 2 percent cut in $ with 68 potentially on board for next year just means PM has more incentive to cull the roster which he needs to do anyway.
It means the NCAA will be watching closely this year to make sure the intern doesn't forget to carry the 1 this time
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

And in good news, the 'noose incident' investigation turned up as much evidence as Pizzagate.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

steel_hop wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:36 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:53 am That right there is a great example of one of the things I’ve always liked about Coach Pietramala (yes, still “Coach” to me): he is very savvy in his conversations in knowing something could be taken the wrong way and immediately stating that’s not what he means at all.
Yes. Wombats are nocturnal.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

And in Australia.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:39 pm We're losing 2% in scholarship funding next year because the program apparently made some clerical financial aid errors in '17 and '20, which broke NCAA rules. School discovered it during an internal audit last year and reported to the NCAA. Women's program is losing 5%, both next year and the year after. So sounds like the women made the bigger oopsie.

It's not a big deal but in today's environment, every dollar counts.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... e-programs
The NCAA enforcement staff and the school agreed that the school did not notify 77 men’s and women’s lacrosse student-athletes of the renewal, reduction or cancellation of their scholarships by the required July 1 deadline. In nearly every case, the school issued renewal letters but did not distribute them until after the deadline.

The parties agreed that the men’s lacrosse head coach worked with multiple student-athletes and/or their families to reduce their scholarships, resulting in the school not providing 12 student-athletes with a written notification of the reductions to their scholarships or information about a hearing opportunity. The school also did not have an established hearing process available to student-athletes whose scholarships were reduced or canceled, which is required under NCAA rules.

According to the agreement, the school also incorrectly applied its cost-of-attendance figure for textbooks instead of the correct place holder amount, resulting in a clerical error that led to the men’s and women’s lacrosse programs exceeding maximum team scholarship limits by a slight amount.
Completely inexcusable ... an embarrassment to the program and university.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:10 pm
steel_hop wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:36 am
Yes. Wombats are nocturnal.
Plus, Wombats poop in cubes.

True ... https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46258616

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopkins changes it’s AD and it happens 2x at least.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:25 pm Hopkins changes it’s AD and it happens 2x at least.
Won’t help Coach Pietramala’s job prospects either.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”