All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
63%
1 person.
15%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 68

a fan

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:12 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:06 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:56 pm Fauci Said Working With Biden Now Instead Of Trump Is "Liberating".
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/pa ... liberating
Not possible. We were assured by many posters here the Fauci couldn't possibly have to worry about politics, and was entirely independent, and didn't report directly to Trump. :roll:
Which means what? Fauci broke his hypocritical oath b/c of Trump?
No. It means that when I pointed out weeks ago that Fauci doesn't get to do whatever it is he wants to do, folks were overly defensive when hearing this obvious news.

Fauci STILL doesn't get to do whatever he wants. Biden makes the calls. So you don't get to blame Fauci for US Federal response. That was on Trump...and now it's on Biden.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:21 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:19 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:06 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:56 pm Fauci Said Working With Biden Now Instead Of Trump Is "Liberating".
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/pa ... liberating
Not possible. We were assured by many posters here the Fauci couldn't possibly have to worry about politics, and was entirely independent, and didn't report directly to Trump. :roll:
this is the good stuff right here.
No, this is the honest stuff.

It should be easier for folks with partisan (and therefore defensive) views to understand my point now that we have a new POTUS with a different letter by his name....

.....Fauci works for Biden. Full stop. And Fauci doesn't get to make the calls. Biden does. It's how our country works.

Just as it did with Trump. I find it-----puzzling----that anyone would think that Fauci was, or is, in charge of our country's response to the Pandemic. This was true under Trump, and is true under Biden.
who are these partisan (and therefore defensive) folks, exactly?

how about a page link? for context, of course.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Here ya go.....
a fan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:33 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:08 am You never answered the question....then tried to spin away from it.
That wasn't intentional.

Does Fauci have total control over our pandemic response, or not? The answer is an emphatic no. So I"m not imply fraud. I'm reacting to your desire to pin problem on a man that is SEVERAL rungs down on organizational chart.
The good news for YouthA, is that Biden is now at the top of the organizational chart...and Fauci reports to him.
a fan

Post by a fan »

This is why I won't shut up about our failure to increase our ability to manufacture vaccines.....

If Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna's vaccines remain the only ones on the market, about 500 million total doses must be administered before all adults in the US are fully vaccinated -- two for each of the 250 million or so adults who live in the US. Currently, none of the current coronavirus vaccines are authorized for people younger than 16.
In the past seven days, about 914,000 doses have been administered daily. If vaccination continues at this same rate, every adult in the US could be fully vaccinated by summer 2022, according to a CNN analysis.
If vaccination picks up to 1 million shots per day, in line with Biden's promise, that timeline could bump up to spring 2022.
To fully vaccinate all adults in the US by the end of the year, the pace would have to increase to about 1.3 million doses administered per day.

So instead of building a handful of absurdly cheap factories over the freaking summer and fall? We CHOSE to wallow in this pandemic for another full year.

Smart. Real smart.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

a fan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:56 pm This is why I won't shut up about our failure to increase our ability to manufacture vaccines.....

If Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna's vaccines remain the only ones on the market, about 500 million total doses must be administered before all adults in the US are fully vaccinated -- two for each of the 250 million or so adults who live in the US. Currently, none of the current coronavirus vaccines are authorized for people younger than 16.
In the past seven days, about 914,000 doses have been administered daily. If vaccination continues at this same rate, every adult in the US could be fully vaccinated by summer 2022, according to a CNN analysis.
If vaccination picks up to 1 million shots per day, in line with Biden's promise, that timeline could bump up to spring 2022.
To fully vaccinate all adults in the US by the end of the year, the pace would have to increase to about 1.3 million doses administered per day.

So instead of building a handful of absurdly cheap factories over the freaking summer and fall? We CHOSE to wallow in this pandemic for another full year.

Smart. Real smart.
Are you an oracle or something? How the f**ck do you make a statement like this when you don't even know what next week is going to bring? WHO in the world said that EVERY US adult HAS to be vaccinated for the pandemic to "end". You draw these lines in the sand for no apparent reason at all, its mind-numbingly frustrating. Again your citing modeling, which WILL change and has continued to change in every sort of model that has been bandied about during this pandemic. Modeling is imperfect, and you have no damn clue about what the US chose to do or not to do. Cut the turd. If you can't see why 2021 will be better than 2020 in almost every aspect then I can't help you there. Everybody who is in charge is putting everything they have (for better or for worse) into slowly getting us out of this thing, NOBODY is wallowing in anything. The world is not Black and White as you make it out to be, you seem to lose sight of that at every turn...

Joe
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:56 pm This is why I won't shut up about our failure to increase our ability to manufacture vaccines.....

Smart. Real smart.
it's ok, a fan. what this article won't tell you is that we've gone from 360k per day 2 weeks ago to effectively 1m per day now or within days.

and recently... it looks like production and distribution might now be coming out at 2 million per day for that ramp in arms to continue as states work their ish out. and maybe the cavalry is coming.

in 3 to 4 months, maybe 5, the problem will not be production. it will be finding willing buyers.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:16 pm

Smart. Real smart.
it's ok, a fan. what this article won't tell you is that we've gone from 360k per day 2 weeks ago to effectively 1m per day now or within days.

and recently... it looks like production and distribution might now be coming out at 2 million per day for that ramp in arms to continue as states work their ish out. and maybe the cavalry is coming.

in 3 to 4 months, maybe 5, the problem will not be production. it will be finding willing buyers.
+1

Joe
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 pm Here ya go.....
a fan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:33 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:08 am You never answered the question....then tried to spin away from it.
That wasn't intentional.

Does Fauci have total control over our pandemic response, or not? The answer is an emphatic no. So I"m not imply fraud. I'm reacting to your desire to pin problem on a man that is SEVERAL rungs down on organizational chart.
The good news for YouthA, is that Biden is now at the top of the organizational chart...and Fauci reports to him.
i have no idea what the convo was before or after, so by the quote youth isn't saying anything re: chain of command, really.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:16 pm in 3 to 4 months, maybe 5, the problem will not be production. it will be finding willing buyers.
You're stubborn-----I'll give you that.

We have a vaccine now, correct? So again, how much GDP---and deaths----do we get in "3 to 4 months, maybe 5"?

Picture what it would have looked like if we worked this problem, and increased capacity tenfold.

Too late now. And here we are. I'm allowed to be frustrated, yes? ;)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:33 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:16 pm in 3 to 4 months, maybe 5, the problem will not be production. it will be finding willing buyers.
You're stubborn-----I'll give you that.

We have a vaccine now, correct? So again, how much GDP---and deaths----do we get in "3 to 4 months, maybe 5"?

Picture what it would have looked like if we worked this problem, and increased capacity tenfold.

Too late now. And here we are. I'm allowed to be frustrated, yes? ;)
you are allowed to be frustrated. should i allow straight b.s. (not from you) go unattended? cause that article is straight b.s.

as you know, i question what kind of production build we could have done. and your expertise at evaluating it. however, i don't dismiss the idea as being unattainable or even something that would be just too hard to try. because i don't know.

i just don't know how government or medical research works.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:40 pm should i allow straight b.s. (not from you) go unattended?
No. That's entirely fair.
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:40 pm as you know, i question what kind of production build we could have done.
We allocated blanket money to several firms.

https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/explain ... index.html

But like many cases of throwing money at problems without direct oversight and reporting.... and a press smart enough to ask questions (assuming that the .gov or Pfizer are actually answering any).....we haven't had any direct reports of the facilities built. And I've been looking for said reports. Maybe I missed them.

But doesn't that seem odd to you? No "look at this sparkling new facility that your tax dollars went towards" pieces on TF?

What we SHOULD be seeing is: "once Pfizers new XYZ plant comes on line this spring? Production will double. Or triple. Or anything".

Have a look at Pfizers own explanation of their vaccines production capabilities. See any mention of opening a new factory...anywhere?

https://pfe-pfizercom-d8-prod.s3.amazon ... accine.pdf

So....count me as skeptical that we're on the case when it comes to manufacturing doses.....
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:09 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:40 pm should i allow straight b.s. (not from you) go unattended?
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:40 pm as you know, i question what kind of production build we could have done.

But like many cases of throwing money at problems without direct oversight and reporting.... and a press smart enough to ask questions (assuming that the .gov or Pfizer are actually answering any).....we haven't had any direct reports of the facilities built. And I've been looking for said reports. Maybe I missed them.

But doesn't that seem odd to you? No "look at this sparkling new facility that your tax dollars went towards" pieces on TF?

What we SHOULD be seeing is: "once Pfizers new XYZ plant comes on line this spring? Production will double. Or triple. Or anything".

Have a look at Pfizers own explanation of their vaccines production capabilities. See any mention of opening a new factory...anywhere?

So....count me as skeptical that we're on the case when it comes to manufacturing doses.....
Companies often secure production elsewhere. A lot of pharmaceuticals are manufactured in Ireland. I haven’t read anything on the government funding a ramp up in production. I saw it for PPE but not pharmaceuticals.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:09 pm

what i've seen:
- pfizer has been particularly persnickety. others... not so much so the point is taken.
- that having an approved, staffed, regulated and compliant production facility is extremely complex and has a high bar of standards, and thus doesn't come out of a box with those supposed standards.
- resources are finite to do what we need to do for mrna vaccine production. and $ and drive maybe doesn't change that.

those last 2 aren't hard and fast no's because again, i've been told i don't know anything about how government and medical research works. still trying to learn on here from a couple of those guys that do.

one fact... not one other leader or country in the entire world has done it either. not one. now, my personal evaluation on political leaders in general is not high... but going oh-fer maybe says something, too.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:30 pm Companies often secure production elsewhere
I know. But we're in the middle of a pandemic. With every country in the world in need of a vaccine.....there isn't an "elsewhere". We needed to build the "elsewhere". And unless I'm missing something.....we didn't do that.
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:31 pm one fact... not one other leader or country in the entire world has done it either. not one. now, my personal evaluation on political leaders in general is not high... but going oh-fer maybe says something, too.
Yes, but the problem with comparing us to other 1st world nation is fourfold.

1. Every other first world nation has health care provided by the government, and has much more generous payments to citizens

2. We have a GDP that makes every other 1st world nation look like a joke.

3. We're borrowing trillions to cushion the economic damage. Trillions that others aren't borrowing. The ROI for building vaccine capacity in the US is through the roof. Even just ending the problems 30 days earlier is worth billions to America.

4. We're America! We should outperform everyone else! :lol: ;)
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:30 pm Companies often secure production elsewhere
I know. But we're in the middle of a pandemic. With every country in the world in need of a vaccine.....there isn't an "elsewhere". We needed to build the "elsewhere". And unless I'm missing something.....we didn't do that.
There may be excess capacity elsewhere that would allow for a more rapid ramp up. It takes almost a year to ramp up capacity for additional N95 production. With these vaccines it’s probably more time.

EDIT: https://www.pharmasalmanac.com/articles ... on-problem
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:44 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:31 pm one fact... not one other leader or country in the entire world has done it either. not one. now, my personal evaluation on political leaders in general is not high... but going oh-fer maybe says something, too.
Yes, but the problem with comparing us to other 1st world nation is fourfold.

1. Every other first world nation has health care provided by the government, and has much more generous payments to citizens

2. We have a GDP that makes every other 1st world nation look like a joke.

3. We're borrowing trillions to cushion the economic damage. Trillions that others aren't borrowing. The ROI for building vaccine capacity in the US is through the roof. Even just ending the problems 30 days earlier is worth billions to America.

4. We're America! We should outperform everyone else! :lol: ;)
hahahaha
1) then shouldn't those governments be doing it? isn't gov't funded healthcare the awesomest?
2) that's actually not true.
3) the same, all of it, is true for many if not every other 1st world country that could do this.
4) you are no longer allowed to use the word exceptionalism. well, you didn't use it, but close enough.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan

Post by a fan »

This is why I don't believe that we've increase manufacturing capacity....where's the Bloomberg/FNC/MSNBC piece that says anything close to this:

"SII plans to make a total of 400 million doses of Covishield by July and is setting up new production lines to roll out roughly one billion shots a year.

And the reason I'm suspect? Money. These US multinational corporations likely (very) don't profit from having increased manufacturing space that they can only use for a few years.

But the US government does profit from increasing capacity. Which is why the US Government needed to FORCE them to build the capacity. And what I"m saying here is that we didn't do that......and it makes me angry.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

sweet. if i'm not mistaken, india is by far the largest vaccine manufacturer in the world.

glad we have azn in the fold. we're supposed to get 300m of their 1st 1 billion (3 billion annual, exclusive of india production). their vaccine scales. we were supposed to get 1/3 of that 300m by year end, before vaccine safety concerns and now efficacy and structure issues delayed trials.

now, we sit on whether both of safety and efficacy come thru. if azn or jnj are measurably short of 90% effectiveness... good luck and we'll be sitting on a lot of vaccine.

Return to “POLITICS”