NBA

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: NBA

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:42 am

That was a rough game. Luka looks tired. He has a high usage rate. With no Porzingis, it’s a heavier lift. LeBron James was sensational. I have been following him sense he was a junior in high school. My nephew ran with his crew of guys when LeBron was a rookie in Cleveland. He had quite a ride. Still friends with Maverick Carter.

I watched last night's win over Golden State 124-97. Good, balanced scoring won the day for the Mavs. But again, during the game I noticed that Luka repeatedly kept flexing and rubbing his right hand which has been struck so many times by defensive players trying to stop his scoring. Good work off the bench by 7'4" Boban Marjanovic.

In the few minutes that he played, GSW's Alen Smailagić put on a good show. He's only 19 and again is one of the non-college Europeans in the league that (barring injury) is only going to get better with age. With so many Euro players coming into the league without spending so much as one day in college, it is time for the NBA to drop its archaic rule that American players must have a year of college before they qualify for the league draft. I recall saying at one time in our old LP forum that, contrary to popular myth, college has actually destroyed more pro careers than it has created. This new influx of non-college Europeans will further prove my point.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:29 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:42 am

That was a rough game. Luka looks tired. He has a high usage rate. With no Porzingis, it’s a heavier lift. LeBron James was sensational. I have been following him sense he was a junior in high school. My nephew ran with his crew of guys when LeBron was a rookie in Cleveland. He had quite a ride. Still friends with Maverick Carter.

I watched last night's win over Golden State 124-97. Good, balanced scoring won the day for the Mavs. But again, during the game I noticed that Luka repeatedly kept flexing and rubbing his right hand which has been struck so many times by defensive players trying to stop his scoring. Good work off the bench by 7'4" Boban Marjanovic.

In the few minutes that he played, GSW's Alen Smailagić put on a good show. He's only 19 and again is one of the non-college Europeans in the league that (barring injury) is only going to get better with age. With so many Euro players coming into the league without spending so much as one day in college, it is time for the NBA to drop its archaic rule that American players must have a year of college before they qualify for the league draft. I recall saying at one time in our old LP forum that, contrary to popular myth, college has actually destroyed more pro careers than it has created. This new influx of non-college Europeans will further prove my point.
I have never liked the rule requiring players go to college. Some of the best players to have played never went to college. I liked the old way where the players decided. What happened was the salary slotting structure provided more incentive to get your rookie contract over before the big money. NBA player Union is the culprit.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:04 pm
I have never liked the rule requiring players go to college. Some of the best players to have played never went to college. I liked the old way where the players decided. What happened was the salary slotting structure provided more incentive to get your rookie contract over before the big money. NBA player Union is the culprit.

The union? I thought it was David Stern who was obsessed with the idea of players having to go to college (???).

IIRC, the union made a proper legal argument by saying the college rule requirement was a violation of antitrust rules because it was a restraint of trade. Under the ancient Anglo-Saxon common law (which remains a part of the US Constitution in the 7th Amendment*) any adult could enter into any contract so long as it does not violate the law. Under our legal system, an 18 year old is an adult (in some cases, one under 18 could be classified as an adult if he/she meets "emancipated minor" criteria). Thus, the rule mandated by Stern is an actual restraint of trade. I believe the union acceded but only did so reluctantly. I would have to do some research on this to know for sure.

*https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitutio ... _amendment
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:22 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:04 pm

The union? I thought it was David Stern who was obsessed with the idea of players having to go to college (???).

IIRC, the union made a proper legal argument by saying the college rule requirement was a violation of antitrust rules because it was a restraint of trade. Under the ancient Anglo-Saxon common law (which remains a part of the US Constitution in the 7th Amendment*) any adult could enter into any contract so long as it does not violate the law. Under our legal system, an 18 year old is an adult (in some cases, one under 18 could be classified as an adult if he/she meets "emancipated minor" criteria). Thus, the rule mandated by Stern is an actual restraint of trade. I believe the union acceded but only did so reluctantly. I would have to do some research on this to know for sure.

*https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitutio ... _amendment
The NBA wanted to get its people out of high school gyms but it was collectively bargained. The NBAPA could have pushed back but they rolled as the salary slotting was good for its members (the guys already in the league). More that the one year requirement, I believe the salary slotting for rookie contracts is what motivated more 1 and dones. In the free market players made that decision largely based on their ability to play. You had plenty of guys spending one, two, three, four years in college. When the slots went in and more value was in the second contract, it motivated players to get their vesting years in early. The NBAPA's rationale was that guys in college are not in the union and they need to look our for their members. I don't like it. In the old days, rookies came in and made big money and in a circular fashion it raised everyone's salaries. The list of successful NBA players that skipped college is impressive: Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Jermaine O'Neal, Kevin Garnett, Lou Williams, Dirk Nowitzki (UNC was recruiting him), Amare Stoudemire, Dwight Howard, Shawn Kemp and a bunch of other good NBA players. More guys had success than the few "busts"....
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:44 pm
The NBA wanted to get its people out of high school gyms but it was collectively bargained. The NBAPA could have pushed back but they rolled as the salary slotting was good for its members (the guys already in the league). More that the one year requirement, I believe the salary slotting for rookie contracts is what motivated more 1 and dones. In the free market players made that decision largely based on their ability to play. You had plenty of guys spending one, two, three, four years in college. When the slots went in and more value was in the second contract, it motivated players to get their vesting years in early. The NBAPA's rationale was that guys in college are not in the union and they need to look our for their members. I don't like it. In the old days, rookies came in and made big money and in a circular fashion it raised everyone's salaries.
Yes, I do recall that the players were concerned over unproven rookies making what some deemed exorbitant salaries which affected the salary cap and forced veteran players to sign for less than they wanted or deserved. Because of this the players demanded a limit to how much those rooks could make though I'm not sure that a mandated one year rule is the proper way to insure any of that.

The list of successful NBA players that skipped college is impressive: Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Jermaine O'Neal, Kevin Garnett, Lou Williams, Dirk Nowitzki (UNC was recruiting him), Amare Stoudemire, Dwight Howard, Shawn Kemp and a bunch of other good NBA players. More guys had success than the few "busts"....
If it were not for the ridiculous obsession with college bball, that list would be considerably longer. Just like in pro baseball, hockey, boxing, soccer, tennis, and other sports where, more often than not, a college education is a guaranteed death knell for a pro career.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:48 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:44 pm
The NBA wanted to get its people out of high school gyms but it was collectively bargained. The NBAPA could have pushed back but they rolled as the salary slotting was good for its members (the guys already in the league). More that the one year requirement, I believe the salary slotting for rookie contracts is what motivated more 1 and dones. In the free market players made that decision largely based on their ability to play. You had plenty of guys spending one, two, three, four years in college. When the slots went in and more value was in the second contract, it motivated players to get their vesting years in early. The NBAPA's rationale was that guys in college are not in the union and they need to look our for their members. I don't like it. In the old days, rookies came in and made big money and in a circular fashion it raised everyone's salaries.
Yes, I do recall that the players were concerned over unproven rookies making what some deemed exorbitant salaries which affected the salary cap and forced veteran players to sign for less than they wanted or deserved. Because of this the players demanded a limit to how much those rooks could make though I'm not sure that a mandated one year rule is the proper way to insure any of that.

The list of successful NBA players that skipped college is impressive: Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Jermaine O'Neal, Kevin Garnett, Lou Williams, Dirk Nowitzki (UNC was recruiting him), Amare Stoudemire, Dwight Howard, Shawn Kemp and a bunch of other good NBA players. More guys had success than the few "busts"....
If it were not for the ridiculous obsession with college bball, that list would be considerably longer. Just like in pro baseball, hockey, boxing, soccer, tennis, and other sports where, more often than not, a college education is a guaranteed death knell for a pro career.
The list is much longer. Those were off the top of my head. Stephen Jackson went straight to the league. A lot of 10 year role players never played in college. Looks like the one and done is going away soon. Our system of development for basketball is falling behind the rest of the world. France is doing good things.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:54 pm The list is much longer ...
Looks like the one and done is going away soon. Our system of development for basketball is falling behind the rest of the world. France is doing good things.

With leagues like this, the list will soon be MUCH longer: https://www.europebasketballacademy.com/

My most sincere hope is that some day soon the profit making NCAA will be dissolved along with one and done - this will advance bball and other sports even more.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:03 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:54 pm The list is much longer ...
Looks like the one and done is going away soon. Our system of development for basketball is falling behind the rest of the world. France is doing good things.

With leagues like this, the list will soon be MUCH longer: https://www.europebasketballacademy.com/

My most sincere hope is that some day soon the profit making NCAA will be dissolved along with one and done - this will advance bball and other sports even more.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/285 ... ew-heights
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Smart of him to stay away from college or his career would have gone downhill.

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:33 am

Smart of him to stay away from college or his career would have gone downhill.
My friend’s 16 year old daughter has danced at halftime for the Lyon Team....
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:04 am

My friend’s 16 year old daughter has danced at halftime for the Lyon Team....

!pics, please! :)

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Utah Jazz > Mavericks 112-107

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/1/2 ... -mavericks

https://www.google.com/search?q=utah+Ja ... vx;dt;fp;1;;

Great work by Jazz post man Rudy Gobert (22p 2a 17r). A Frenchman who also did not go to college was totally dominant at the 5. Reminded me of old school bball where the game was dominated by the big men. Mavs center Kristaps Porziņģis with 15p but he was no match at the post and got only 2 rbs.

I checked through several NBA rosters and found that just about every team had 4 international players - as usual, none of them went to college and almost all are big stars in their teams.

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I believe he will be eligible for the NBA Hall of Fame in 2 years. If this is required by league rule, it should be waived and he should be put into it immediately.

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

He will be eligible in 2020. They shortened the wait time recently.
Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:04 pm

I believe he will be eligible for the NBA Hall of Fame in 2 years. If this is required by league rule, it should be waived and he should be put into it immediately.
Very sad day.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Particularly tragic that those two young girls perished on the helicopter.

Kobe won an Oscar. Just exemplifies how much of a life (and talent) he had beyond basketball. He had a complex and complicated life.

Tragic.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Next time we want to talk sports "legends" - the pinnacle is Bill Russell - nobody else is remotely even close to his performance when it was all on the line

Bill Russell played in a total of 10 Game 7's in his NBA career
He was 10-0.
He averaged 18.6 points and 32.3 rebounds per game in those 10 contests.
Over his entire career, including NCAA, Olympics and NBA, Russell played in 21 "winner take all” games.
He won every one
21-0

Game 7 of 1960 Finals: 22pts & 35reb

Game 7 of 1962 Finals: 30pts & 40reb.

Game 7 of 1966 Finals: 25pts & 32reb

Greatest Game 7 performer ever.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ good post

I always enjoyed the Chamberlain-Russell rivalry - the Ali vs Frazier of pro basketball. Here are the career stats in their match ups:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... i?id=PAGXr

In terms of game numbers, Chamberlain had the lead. But in team wins it was Russell. What a great time that was for the sport.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Dallas 107
Chicago 109

summary: https://www.foxsports.com/nba/boxscore?id=35648

Bulls bench contributed 60 points - amazing depth.

In post game commentary Kendall Gill said Bulls got more physical in the second half vs Luka Doncic and reduced his offensive stats. He then went on to say that he missed the old days of NBA bball when the game was far more physical than it is today. Yea, I miss that, too. It was a vastly superior game in the old days. But then, I say that about MLB, NFL, and NHL as well.

Center Boban Marjanovic started for the Mavs. I enjoy watching him play as he is yuge and powerful. However, he lacks stamina and cannot play a full game.

Bulls coached by Jim Boylen - a guy I am not familiar with at all. Evidently, he went into coaching directly from college and did not play pro ball. After years of coaching in the NCAA he went into the NBA and worked his way to the top.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”