movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
admin
Site Admin

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by admin »

Brooklyn, is Humanizing the Vacuum your blog?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

admin wrote:Brooklyn, is Humanizing the Vacuum your blog?

Not mine but this one makes for some interesting reading.

I was a participant in a blog dealing with American history but, sad to say, it has now become inactive.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

admin wrote:"Free Solo" is really good.

Fascinating - but a bit spooky. Guy sure has guts.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I haven't seen Free Solo yet, but the Tommy Caldwell movie about his first ascent of the Dawn Wall (named "Dawn Wall") was very, very, very good. Some people are just are just excellent at being people, Caldwell is one of them. I have endless admiration for him and Honnold, so I'm looking forward to Free Solo.

The Aussies are where it's at right now when it comes to everything: literature, film, music...."Breath", it's on Netflix or Prime right now, was really good. Breath is a coming of age surf flick filmed in Denmark, W.A. It was Simon Baker's directorial debut and the actors were surfers who had never acted before. Both young actors were remarkable and the directing was visionary, in my opinion.

Goldstone is another Aussie flick worth watching (netflix). It is a sequel to Mystery Road supposedly. It follows the same aboriginie detective in an outback thriller. Australian stuff actually makes you think, unlike American stuff which is just ideology and canned morals.

Looking forward to the new Malick, "Radegund". The stills alone that I've seen are stunning.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Brooklyn wrote:
admin wrote:"Free Solo" is really good.

Fascinating - but a bit spooky. Guy sure has guts.
More than guts; Honnold may be one of the greatest athletes on the planet right now.

There is a brief documentary film about the filming of Free Solo. The movie was filmed by friends of Honnold, and every camera was manned by a climber, so that each of them was somehow a little more sensitive to the feats and the consequences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-wjmIFlnNo
DMac

Post by DMac »

This is really a documentary (not really a movie) with some scenes recreated. Doctors, nurses, police, the guy who came upon her (who did go on to become a doctor) and Alison are real.
Maybe I'm the only person who hadn't heard this story, but it's truly beyond believe how this woman survived. It's a bit tough to even listen to the doctors and nurses describe this woman's condition when they first saw her and what they had to do to keep her alive.
It's available on YouTube for a fee ($3.99, I think) but I'd bet it's on your TV. If I could tell you what channel I would, but since TVs have gone beyond channels 3, 5, and 9 and you just got up to change the channel I struggle finding anything. I just happened to stumble across it. The title is just, Alison, worth the watch, it's only about an hour long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIvFTrJGWCY&t=4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da0k1K8cRzg
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Vice was pretty darn good. If you liked The Big Short, you're very likely to like Vice. Two others I liked, The Rider and Leave No Trace.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
johnnyonthegunpowder

Wow, Vice looks great. Incredible casting and makeup. Christian Bale is obviously one of the greatest actors out there, but Sam Rockwell is right there with him though a bit unsung. Anyone see Lawn Dogs? Fantastic Rockwell flick. It's probably 10 years old. Cheney is actually a really interesting guy and has a fascinating story. Casper, Yale, lineman...I hope the film isn't just series of smug comic mockeries of him that offer a chuckle and communing for those of certain ideologies. Though I imagine that will be part of it, sure hope it gets into the humanity behind it all. Or else, what's the point? That scene though between Rockewell and Bale; it's gonna be good.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Boon Dock Saints

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144117/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boondock_Saints

The vigilante movie that is so bad, it's good. It has quite a social message as well.

I would likely give it one star rating = for its plot and dialog some of which cannot be readily understood. But it sure is entertaining.

****** Somehow, Boon D.o.c.k appears as Boon Jerk in my screen
Last edited by Brooklyn on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Well Brookie, you be one of the expert critics who ripped the movie and I’ll be one of the regular folks who really liked it. Over 200,000 people on imdb gave it 7.8 out of 10, over 300,000 folks who reviewed it on Rotten Tomatoes gave it 4.2/5, with 92% liking it. Having said that, you and the critics are right. It’s never going to be selected by the Library of Congress for inclusion in the film registry but I simply take it for what it is. Willem Dafoe was great as usual.

It was and is a favorite of mine. In fact, I think I’ll grab some popcorn, a Coors NA and enjoy it again.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

6x6 wrote:Well Brookie, you be one of the expert critics who ripped the movie and I’ll be one of the regular folks who really liked it. Over 200,000 people on imdb gave it 7.8 out of 10, over 300,000 folks who reviewed it on Rotten Tomatoes gave it 4.2/5, with 92% liking it. Having said that, you and the critics are right. It’s never going to be selected by the Library of Congress for inclusion in the film registry but I simply take it for what it is. Willem Dafoe was great as usual.

It was and is a favorite of mine. In fact, I think I’ll grab some popcorn, a Coors NA and enjoy it again.

Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote - it's quite entertaining though a bit difficult to follow. Rotten Tomatoes actually gave it 23% rating and in a five star rating system that would make it a one star - but who the heck cares. I find it especially relevant today in view of that idiot Trump who insists that drugs come from south of the border and that this is why he needs his stupid wall. But as the movie shows, the druggies are Mafiosi types (of various ethnicities) who come in via airports, not across the border. This is true not just in Bean Town but all over the Northeast and elsewhere. Thus, no need for a wall which only serves as a distraction from Dump's many failings. Because of that the movie reveals something so many of us know and have known for many years and this gives it considerable merit.

And yes, Dafoe played a great role. BTW, how was the sequel?

Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

A bit lean on plot, but the characters, man. Top notch. Enjoy the ride. Sequel wise, not the best, but entertaining. "Sh, daddy's warking". Rocco in the afterlife, hilarious. Great stuff, have to watch it 2/3 × a year.
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Brooklyn wrote:
6x6 wrote:Well Brookie, you be one of the expert critics who ripped the movie and I’ll be one of the regular folks who really liked it. Over 200,000 people on imdb gave it 7.8 out of 10, over 300,000 folks who reviewed it on Rotten Tomatoes gave it 4.2/5, with 92% liking it. Having said that, you and the critics are right. It’s never going to be selected by the Library of Congress for inclusion in the film registry but I simply take it for what it is. Willem Dafoe was great as usual.

Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote - it's quite entertaining though a bit difficult to follow. Rotten Tomatoes actually gave it 23% rating and in a five star rating system that would make it a one star - but who the heck cares. I find it especially relevant today in view of that idiot Trump who insists that drugs come from south of the border and that this is why he needs his stupid wall. But as the movie shows, the druggies are Mafiosi types (of various ethnicities) who come in via airports, not across the border. This is true not just in Bean Town but all over the Northeast and elsewhere. Thus, no need for a wall which only serves as a distraction from Dump's many failings. Because of that the movie reveals something so many of us know and have known for many years and this gives it considerable merit.

And yes, Dafoe played a great role. BTW, how was the sequel?
You’re quite right, the critics gave it 23%, I was referring to the regular viewers giving it a 92% approval. I agree with oldbarndog, the sequel is not nearly as good but isn’t that often the case with sequels?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

6x6 wrote:the sequel is not nearly as good but isn’t that often the case with sequels?
Godfather 2, Empire Strikes Back,... I'm sure there are more but you can probably count them on one hand.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I have always loved film noir and am a member of an online channel that presents many such films. Last night we watched this gem which was highly regarded back in the day but has largely been forgotten. Broderick Crawford may not have had the charm and good looks of a Cary Grant but there was always something special about his performance. Matt Crowley played a superb back up role and looked real convincing as barkeep and hood. Very suspenseful.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Defense Rests:

Great film noir mystery with important social message.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Another film noir gem. Barbara Del Geddes played a small but very striking role. So far as I recall, it was not shown very often on NYC tv back in the day due to its highly sensitive subject. Critics and film fans generally liked it. Deserves a 3½ to 4 star rating.

This week in my film noir club enjoyed a retrospective on "The Untouchables". My favorite episode was the two part "The Big Train" were Al Capone attempts to escape exile to Alcatraz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld-fbORuvCA

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

My local PBS station which has membership from WNY to Toronto recently showed the 2015 documentary, Gridiron Underground. A very entertaining look at black football players that had to go to the CFL to find their careers, especially at QB. It prominently features Bernie Custis, the former Syracuse QB from the early 50’s that had a long career as a player and coach. Also featured is Warren Moon, who after winning the PAC 10 and led a thrashing of Michigan in the ‘78 Rose Bowl (I was there), still had to go to the CFL to play QB. The players never made as much playing in the CFL, but not being abused in Canada often made up for it.

http://www.gridironunderground.com/about/
johnnyonthegunpowder

I haven't seen any of the heavy hitters from of 2018. The trailers show clearly that they all have some moral or ethic blinking in neon telling me how I'm suppose to think. Propaganda, sure, but not art for truly liberated. However, this Arctic is the first trailer I've seen in years that actually got me excited about seeing a real film. Mads Mikkelson in the wilderness, you really don't need any other ingredients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5aD9ppoQIo

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”