CNU 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MVPiccoli

Re: CNU 2024

Post by MVPiccoli »

Having a plan for a zone is easy, executing against one requires discipline and repetition. Unless you're a zone based team, it's not easy to replicate in practice IMO. HSC using it effectively means they are going to see it more. I'm sure MT will figure it out.

First game, boys just want to run!
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

Credit to Coach Rostan for having his squad well prepared. Not only did they come out swinging, they also didn't crumble after CNU took back momentum in the 2nd/3rd and kept it close. HSC keeper was unreal.

As for CNU...yikes.

For a team with a lot of championship-level hype around it, there's a lot to be concerned about after that opener. Cabaniss is about the only one who performed at the level you'd expect. The defense gave up a lot of easy "broken coverage" type goals that were shocking to see from a group with that much experience. Offensively, they were at least able to generate a lot of good scoring opportunities, even if most were saved. Great to see Robby Adams coming into his own.

Hopefully this one will clean the cobwebs out.
aroundtheoutside

Looked like CNU starting to find itself against Berry yesterday. First quarter was awful for the Captains. I remember they had a trend of starting slow last year, seems that hasn't gotten any better yet.

But, they found their groove in the 2nd and started to roll. It was great to see the guys having fun, whereas they looked mostly frustrated against HSC.

Loved seeing Drew Miller go off. He doesn't get nearly as much hype as Cook, Auslander or Brendes, but he's been an absolute glue guy for the offense for years. If he can become a more dynamic scoring threat this season, that's terrifying for opposing defenses. Didn't some defenses used to leave a shorty on him so they could double pole the middies?

Loved seeing Brett Jackson take some runs out of the box. This is the kind of creativity the offense will need to keep opposing teams on their toes.

Loved seeing a bunch of the younger guys get some time. Depth definitely seems to have improved this year.

I'm a bit worried about Hanway--he's looked shaky these first two games. But he's a proven vet so I'm sure he'll get things figured out.
aroundtheoutside

Guess I'll keep the streak going by myself in here lol.

CNU finishes 14-9 against Stevenson in a game they had control of the entire way. A few thoughts

-This game was a BLAST. Most fun I've had watching lacrosse so far this Spring. Tons of energy and intensity. A little chippy-ness but not too much. Stevenson didn't give an inch and fought hard from start to finish.

-CNU has a top 5 broadcast for D3 lax games. If they can figure out replays for big plays, they'll be the best by a mile. Their commentators are always excellent.

-Both teams came out SWINGING. It felt like an old rivalry game with the level of energy, hype and physicality both teams brought.

-This game was such a fun chess match. Stevenson throwing different defensive wrinkles to slow down CNU. CNU moving offensive pieces all over the field. Ten man rides and shut offs.

-Cabaniss was a monster. His consistency is just unbelievable.

-Loved the use of depth by Coach Thompson. Saw more players touch the field in meaningful minutes than any game so far. I'm sure this was partially a strategy to save some of their horses for the second half of this weekend's double header, but I hope they keep rotating in more of the young blood. The level of energy was a significant step up compared to the first two games.

-Looked like the Mustangs' gameplan was to put a shortstick on Brendes (at least for much of the first half). That's mind boggling to me, but I guess you have to pick your poison somewhere with that offense. Overall, I thought Stevenson's defense was really solid.

-Overall, there were still plenty of things to clean up, but I felt like this game was a big step up in energy for CNU, and I love seeing them get more of the roster involved. Depth may have been a weakness for CNU last year--it might be a strength this year. Looked like Coach Thompson was being savvy in limiting minutes for the starters, so it's easy to imagine the goal differential could have been a bit wider otherwise.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Trap game tomorrow? Playing on two consecutive days, with the second game against a well-rested team, could be tough. Good prep for the Mustang Classic, yes, and the OWU Battling Bishops fell off sharply after the 2018 season that included a win over Salisbury. OWU was very young last year, and is 0-1 this year coming up short 10-8 at Grove City.
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:12 pm Guess I'll keep the streak going by myself in here lol.

CNU finishes 14-9 against Stevenson in a game they had control of the entire way. A few thoughts

-This game was a BLAST. Most fun I've had watching lacrosse so far this Spring. Tons of energy and intensity. A little chippy-ness but not too much. Stevenson didn't give an inch and fought hard from start to finish.

-CNU has a top 5 broadcast for D3 lax games. If they can figure out replays for big plays, they'll be the best by a mile. Their commentators are always excellent.

-Both teams came out SWINGING. It felt like an old rivalry game with the level of energy, hype and physicality both teams brought.

-This game was such a fun chess match. Stevenson throwing different defensive wrinkles to slow down CNU. CNU moving offensive pieces all over the field. Ten man rides and shut offs.

-Loved the use of depth by Coach Thompson. Saw more players touch the field in meaningful minutes than any game so far. I'm sure this was partially a strategy to save some of their horses for the second half of this weekend's double header, but I hope they keep rotating in more of the young blood. The level of energy was a significant step up compared to the first two games.

-Looked like the Mustangs' gameplan was to put a shortstick on Brendes (at least for much of the first half). That's mind boggling to me, but I guess you have to pick your poison somewhere with that offense. Overall, I thought Stevenson's defense was really solid.

-Overall, there were still plenty of things to clean up, but I felt like this game was a big step up in energy for CNU, and I love seeing them get more of the roster involved. Depth may have been a weakness for CNU last year--it might be a strength this year. Looked like Coach Thompson was being savvy in limiting minutes for the starters, so it's easy to imagine the goal differential could have been a bit wider otherwise.
Solid showing by both teams. Not sure why Stevenson thought guarding 22 with a shorty was a good idea. Hard to win a game when you only win 3 faceoffs.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

CNU will right the ship tomorrow vs. OWU.
This is not your father's OWU. Did coach Thompson schedule this the day after stevenson as a prep for the Mustang classic and ncaa playoffs? The reason I ask is because CNU is going to run circles around the bishops and I don't think it will be much of a game.
aroundtheoutside

MarionBarry wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:24 pm CNU will right the ship tomorrow vs. OWU.
This is not your father's OWU. Did coach Thompson schedule this the day after stevenson as a prep for the Mustang classic and ncaa playoffs? The reason I ask is because CNU is going to run circles around the bishops and I don't think it will be much of a game.
Yeah I think this double header and the mustang classic are both prep for the back to back QF/Final four weekend in the NCAA's. I don't mind the scheduling as they work out the kinks before the schedule ramps up against Tufts and Dickinson in the next few weeks.

My biggest qualm with the schedule is how many cream puffs are in the CLC. Would love to see CNU in a conference like the ODAC or Centennial.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:12 pm Guess I'll keep the streak going by myself in here lol.

Appreciate the insight! I'd ageee CNU really never got too worried in this, at 11-7 with 4 minutes left in the third the game seemed to be turning in Stevie's favor until Andrew Cooks turnaround side arm flamethrower shut down any momentum making it 12-7, killing Stevie's only real threat of the day.

Brendes was seemingly unguardeable last night. Tim Puls (Stevie DC) is known for shutting off teams best attackmen with short sticks in the past (did it against guys like Upgren, Lee, Blondino etc) the issue is Stevie used to have AA caliber SSDMS, times have changed, that is clearly not the case anymore :lol:

Biggest takeaway for me was CNU's dominance at the faceoff dot and their defense was very much as advertised. Cabaniss might be D3's top fogo with Kohn now at Syracuse via Tufts, he's above 70% already this year. The defense is relatively young and got great showings from two underclassmen, one of which scored a goal late to seal it.

As for Stevie, losing is never something to be proud of but to be competitive with a potential FF weekend level team is a building block. The youth on offense showed but nonetheless the defense and goal keeping was there last night and it kept us afloat. Very excited for this season and the future for a rebuilding Stevenson program.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:22 am
MarionBarry wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:24 pm CNU will right the ship tomorrow vs. OWU.
Yeah I think this double header and the mustang classic are both prep for the back to back QF/Final four weekend in the NCAA's. I don't mind the scheduling as they work out the kinks before the schedule ramps up against Tufts and Dickinson in the next few weeks.

My biggest qualm with the schedule is how many cream puffs are in the CLC. Would love to see CNU in a conference like the ODAC or Centennial.
Didn't UMW, the team picked to finish last in the CLC, just beat an ODAC team yesterday? I believe they're 2-2 against ODAC teams.
aroundtheoutside

laxdad1434 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:45 am

Didn't UMW, the team picked to finish last in the CLC, just beat an ODAC team yesterday? I believe they're 2-2 against ODAC teams.
The bottom of CLC vs the bottom of ODAC or anywhere else is kind of moot to me. The top and middle are what I'm talking about. Lynchburg, W&L, HSC, Roanoke and RMC all range from either great teams to at least meaningful competition. Granted, CNU already plays those teams each year, but the middle of the CLC is several rungs beneath the middle of the ODAC and many other conferences. If CNU could swap half their CLC cakewalks for more quality matchups it could create a more even experience throughout the season vs. what we have now, which is a handful of whales interspersed with a handful of shrimp.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:18 pm

The bottom of CLC vs the bottom of ODAC or anywhere else is kind of moot to me. The top and middle are what I'm talking about. Lynchburg, W&L, HSC, Roanoke and RMC all range from either great teams to at least meaningful competition. Granted, CNU already plays those teams each year, but the middle of the CLC is several rungs beneath the middle of the ODAC and many other conferences. If CNU could swap half their CLC cakewalks for more quality matchups it could create a more even experience throughout the season vs. what we have now, which is a handful of whales interspersed with a handful of shrimp.
Nice backpedal...WMW lost to Roanoke by 1 goal, and was up going into the 4th.

If you swapped out Kean, Stockton, MSU, UMW with HSC, Roanoke, RMC, any 4th team from ODAC. The CLC results would be the same, SU/CNU would win every game. Conversely, the CLC teams would have a much better chance to pick off any top team from the ODAC.

You have a little bit of the NESCACian delusion syndrome going on, you might want to see a doctor about that.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

the odac is better conference then CLC.
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

Maybe top to bottom, but no team in the odac would finish better than third in the clc.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Tactful Lax wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:23 pm Maybe top to bottom, but no team in the odac would finish better than third in the clc.
ehh. maybe. but maybe not. and that is for this year. although HSC (probably 4th best odac) gave CNU all they could handle. but next year, when 6th years are gone, cnu will probably drop back to the middle of the 2nd tier. if there would even be a top tier anymore.
aroundtheoutside

laxdad1434 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:21 pm

If you swapped out Kean, Stockton, MSU, UMW with HSC, Roanoke, RMC, any 4th team from ODAC. The CLC results would be the same, SU/CNU would win every game. Conversely, the CLC teams would have a much better chance to pick off any top team from the ODAC.

You have a little bit of the NESCACian delusion syndrome going on, you might want to see a doctor about that.
Of course the results would be the same. We're talking about two teams that are firmly in the top 4 in the nation with a significant dropoff after that. I'm just saying it'd be nice if Salisbury and CNU had some conference foes (other than one another) that could at least put up a fight and give them a decent game.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Jumbo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:56 pm
Tactful Lax wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:23 pm Maybe top to bottom, but no team in the odac would finish better than third in the clc.
ehh. maybe. but maybe not. and that is for this year. although HSC (probably 4th best odac) gave CNU all they could handle. but next year, when 6th years are gone, cnu will probably drop back to the middle of the 2nd tier. if there would even be a top tier anymore.
People were saying the same thing when they had 10 5th years graduating a few years ago.. CNU is bringing in a ton of talent every year and as long as MT is there they will continue to be a top program. I’d be shocked to see them drop out of that top tier
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Refs in this CNU - OWU game are brutal. Inconsistent calls and calling way too much.

Let the boys play
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:59 pm

Of course the results would be the same. We're talking about two teams that are firmly in the top 4 in the nation with a significant dropoff after that. I'm just saying it'd be nice if Salisbury and CNU had some conference foes (other than one another) that could at least put up a fight and give them a decent game.
Heh? "My biggest qualm with the schedule is how many cream puffs are in the CLC. Would love to see CNU in a conference like the ODAC or Centennial" If the results would be the same, what was your point? SU/CNU beat the crap out of everybody, in or out of conference.

It's no different in any other top conference, that's why the the top teams in those conferences play tough OOC games.
aroundtheoutside

laxdad1434 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:51 pm
aroundtheoutside wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:59 pm

Heh? "My biggest qualm with the schedule is how many cream puffs are in the CLC. Would love to see CNU in a conference like the ODAC or Centennial" If the results would be the same, what was your point? SU/CNU beat the crap out of everybody, in or out of conference.

It's no different in any other top conference, that's why the the top teams in those conferences play tough OOC games.
Again. The point isn't that I want to see SU or CNU lose more. It's that it'd be nice to see more conference games that are actual tests rather than a bunch of cakewalks. How many ranked teams are there in the NESCAC, the Liberty and the Centennial? If its more than 2, that means those conferences are more rigorous than the CLC. I don't know why this is a debate.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”