How old is too old?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
kramerica.inc

Re: How old is too old?

Post by kramerica.inc »

Term limits.

And I personally like the idea of not being allowed to run for president if you currently hold another political office.

Running for president is too much of a commitment and drain on your current role. And it means we will constantly have "embedded" politicians.

Make these politicians perform their primary roles as governors, senators etc. and then space out their "Service" (sit out a year or two) before deciding and being allowed to run.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:56 pm It should be a requirement to state your age (I just turned 67) before posting on this thread.

All those posting here that are <50 should tag this thread and come back to it to see how your opinions change in 15-20 years. :lol:
More personal experience less skin in the game. I’d prefer the view of someone with more at stake in life and that sort of incentive structure.

Can’t wait until I’m 60-70. Can be a superior bellicose version of Cradle all day and night.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

FWIW, I’m > 50.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
ggait

Post by ggait »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:01 am I'd do no more than 30 years for any federal judge additive, no lifetime appointments. Maybe just 18 for SCOTUS given how much power is granted (Like POTUS, fewer terms). Preferably on a clear rotation. Might need a few more justices on SCOTUS, with a random assignment of cases to 9 Justices.
There is not a problem with lifetime federal judges hanging on into decrepitude. They still get full pay even if they retire or go on reduced/senior status. The rule of 80 already works extremely well.

Article III judges who have met age and service requirements set by federal statute are eligible to take senior status if they are at least 65 years old and have served at least 15 years on the bench, or any combination of age and years of service thereafter that equals 80.

The only hanger on problem is at SCOTUS. RBG hangs on expecting HRC to be elected, so RBG can control that her successor is a DEm. If Joe wins, Thomas and Alito will stay four more years. If Trump or another Republican wins, they will bail (at full lifetime pay). 18 years max for SCOTUS.
Complete bs that they get to name their successors.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:25 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:01 am I'd do no more than 30 years for any federal judge additive, no lifetime appointments. Maybe just 18 for SCOTUS given how much power is granted (Like POTUS, fewer terms). Preferably on a clear rotation. Might need a few more justices on SCOTUS, with a random assignment of cases to 9 Justices.
There is not a problem with lifetime federal judges hanging on into decrepitude. They still get full pay even if they retire or go on reduced/senior status. The rule of 80 already works extremely well.

Article III judges who have met age and service requirements set by federal statute are eligible to take senior status if they are at least 65 years old and have served at least 15 years on the bench, or any combination of age and years of service thereafter that equals 80.

The only hanger on problem is at SCOTUS. RBG hangs on expecting HRC to be elected, so RBG can control that her successor is a DEm. If Joe wins, Thomas and Alito will stay four more years. If Trump or another Republican wins, they will bail (at full lifetime pay). 18 years max for SCOTUS.
Complete bs that they get to name their successors.
Thanks for the clarification re federal judges.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:19 pm Term limits.

And I personally like the idea of not being allowed to run for president if you currently hold another political office.

Running for president is too much of a commitment and drain on your current role. And it means we will constantly have "embedded" politicians.

Make these politicians perform their primary roles as governors, senators etc. and then space out their "Service" (sit out a year or two) before deciding and being allowed to run.
I dunno, I wasn't too fond of the 2016 choices, neither of whom was currently working in government.

To pick on Hillary a bit, it was particularly irksome that she and Bill raked in the speaking fees while she was signaling but not committing to the inevitable run.

I don't have an issue with current legislators or governors running, though if a state decides it doesn't want that to happen with their governor, ok with me. say Florida...

I want those who are actually most qualified for the gig to run for POTUS, and most of those have actual experience in government, not some yahoo who toots his horn on TV for a living or for his ego...but yahoos have a right to throw their hat in the ring as well, so I certainly don't want to force experienced folks out of the ring...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

njbill wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:53 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:56 pm It should be a requirement to state your age (I just turned 67) before posting on this thread.

All those posting here that are <50 should tag this thread and come back to it to see how your opinions change in 15-20 years. :lol:
+1.

Remember, in the 60s we were told never to trust anyone over 30.

It's amazing how dumb the 30 and 40 year olds think the old fogies are. Equally amazing is how dumb the old fogies think the 30 and 40 year olds are.

Age 70.
That's 5 years away for me, and though I'm certainly not going to be a political candidate, I'd like to think that if I'd spent the last 20 years or so learning the ropes of government, I wouldn't be too old to do a higher job past 70, should I be able to persuade voters to hire me. Of course, I might well not want to work that hard!

But I have no issue with folks considering age, though, as a voter, vitality and acuity would be what I'd be looking for in the health spectrum, not age. And I'd put experience above age unless vitality and acuity were diminishing fast...but character would always be most important for the top jobs...and frankly, I put that above policies much less partisan affiliation. Unfortunately, that's probably the hardest to assess...except when it's starkly obvious!
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:40 pm

More personal experience less skin in the game. I’d prefer the view of someone with more at stake in life and that sort of incentive structure.

Can’t wait until I’m 60-70. Can be a superior bellicose version of Cradle all day and night.
Foul ball into the left field seats
Friday is midget night at the ballpark
Bring a small person and they get in half price
Full count as Hobart steps into the box
Here’s the pitch
Oh, he might have gotten all of it!
Going, going, GONE!
HOME RUN!
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

+1.

It's amazing how dumb the 30 and 40 year olds think the old fogies are. Equally amazing is how dumb the old fogies think the 30 and 40 year olds are.

Age 70.
Yup. When I turned 30 I immediately stopped listening to and trusting myself. That was a mistake! ;)

Age 72

... obviously there are good people capable of performing these jobs at all ages. The problem is the majority of the people who want these jobs do so for all the wrong reasons. We would do a lot better if we would disqualify individuals who wanted the jobs. Frankly I think women are much better suited to these jobs than are men.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
molo

Post by molo »

I’ll be 74 next week and am in reasonably good health—5’9”, 173 with no disease and am glad I retired at 67. Could I do my old job? Probably and maybe better than some who are doing it now, but too often oldsters who have become incompetent don’t realize it. I don’t know about mandates, but policies that encourage people to retire before they become liabilities seem wise to me.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:02 pm

+1.

Age 70.
Yup. When I turned 30 I immediately stopped listening to and trusting myself. That was a mistake! ;)

Age 72

... obviously there are good people capable of performing these jobs at all ages. The problem is the majority of the people who want these jobs do so for all the wrong reasons. We would do a lot better if we would disqualify individuals who wanted the jobs. Frankly I think women are much better suited to these jobs than are men.
This.^^

“The second important institution was the boule, or Council of Five Hundred. The boule was a group of 500 men, 50 from each of ten Athenian tribes, who served on the Council for one year. Unlike the ekklesia, the boule met every day and did most of the hands-on work of governance. It supervised government workers and was in charge of things like navy ships (triremes) and army horses. It dealt with ambassadors and representatives from other city-states. Its main function was to decide what matters would come before the ekklesia. In this way, the 500 members of the boule dictated how the entire democracy would work.

Positions on the boule were chosen by lot and not by election. This was because, in theory, a random lottery was more democratic than an election: pure chance, after all, could not be influenced by things like money or popularity. The lottery system also prevented the establishment of a permanent class of civil servants who might be tempted to use the government to advance or enrich themselves. However, historians argue that selection to the boule was not always just a matter of chance. They note that wealthy and influential people—and their relatives—served on the Council much more frequently than would be likely in a truly random lottery.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:46 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:02 pm

+1.

Age 70.

Age 72

This.^^

“The second important institution was the boule, or Council of Five Hundred. The boule was a group of 500 men, 50 from each of ten Athenian tribes, who served on the Council for one year. Unlike the ekklesia, the boule met every day and did most of the hands-on work of governance. It supervised government workers and was in charge of things like navy ships (triremes) and army horses. It dealt with ambassadors and representatives from other city-states. Its main function was to decide what matters would come before the ekklesia. In this way, the 500 members of the boule dictated how the entire democracy would work.

Positions on the boule were chosen by lot and not by election. This was because, in theory, a random lottery was more democratic than an election: pure chance, after all, could not be influenced by things like money or popularity. The lottery system also prevented the establishment of a permanent class of civil servants who might be tempted to use the government to advance or enrich themselves. However, historians argue that selection to the boule was not always just a matter of chance. They note that wealthy and influential people—and their relatives—served on the Council much more frequently than would be likely in a truly random lottery.”
... I had forgotten that bit of my Greek history. Still a good basic idea. It could be improved on with technology.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:19 pm Term limits.

How about this for POTUS.. one 6 year term. Then you move it along for the next candidate. US Senate is 1 eight year term and then you have to find a real job. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.. how many po folk do we have in the US Senate? How did any of those po folk find a path to becoming multi millionaires? The power and control in DC goes to the 1% folk or the useful idiots they bought and paid for. If Bernie Sanders runs for POTUS in 2024 he has my vote. I don't agree with anything he wants to do. IMO what America needs is a heaping helping of BS doctrine. He is willing to take all the 1% folks and finally make them pony up their "fair share" I'm anxious to see how Bernies political philosophy plays out with all you Democrats. Bernie is hinting he might run 3rd party. What that means is that mainstream liberal Democrats have to come up with a plan...🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑 to shut Bernie up. Bernie makes his money the old fashioned way, he extorts it.

BERNIE for PRESIDENT 2024...🌈 Democrats and Republicans have failed us, time to let a devout communist take a swing at it. GO BERNIE.. you rock baby... :D

If MD lax is true to his word he will join me in endorsing and voting for Bernie. What say you MD?? :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:58 am BERNIE for PRESIDENT 2024... Democrats and Republicans have failed us, time to let a devout communist take a swing at it. GO BERNIE.. you rock baby...

If MD lax is true to his word he will join me in endorsing and voting for Bernie. What say you MD??
It's crazy how far we've come / fallen, however you want to spin it....that we would be thrilled with Bernie. I suppose....Bernie may indeed be the Deep State, alone, considering most of his talking points are not relevant. BTW....where as AOC been? tick-tock, tick-tock....
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:44 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:58 am BERNIE for PRESIDENT 2024... Democrats and Republicans have failed us, time to let a devout communist take a swing at it. GO BERNIE.. you rock baby...

If MD lax is true to his word he will join me in endorsing and voting for Bernie. What say you MD??
It's crazy how far we've come / fallen, however you want to spin it....that we would be thrilled with Bernie. I suppose....Bernie may indeed be the Deep State, alone, considering most of his talking points are not relevant. BTW....where as AOC been? tick-tock, tick-tock....
As you we'll know my endorsement of Bernie is tongue in cheek. Bernie is a smart old codger. The first hint of him wanting to run will trigger one of 2 options for the Democrat party. Bernie will be paid off handsomely by the democrats to not run. Option 2 is more drastic and involves a midnight stroll in Ft Marcy Park.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... full of sh*t as usual. Bernie isn't running (neither is AOC) via 3rd party. By the way, he turns 82 next week and is as sharp as ever.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:13 pm ... full of sh*t as usual. Bernie isn't running (neither is AOC) via 3rd party. By the way, he turns 82 next week and is as sharp as ever.
Of course he won't, but your liberal buttheads will pay him a chitload full of money to sit it out. Too bad an elite FLP liberal like yourself with a PhD has no concept of the concept of sarcasm. Why don't you go back and do something important like save the planet. :lol:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Don't delay filing for SS....

Bill Richardson, Jimmy Buffett.
njbill

Post by njbill »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:10 pm Don't delay filing for SS....

Too late for me. I already did. Waited til I turned 70. Now I have to see if the bet pays off.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

njbill wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:26 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:10 pm Don't delay filing for SS....

Too late for me. I already did. Waited til I turned 70. Now I have to see if the bet pays off.
I took mine early at 65. I did a poor man's Monte Carlo analysis of my situation and 89 was the break-even age of death for me by waiting for more social security income at 70. Also started maximizing out annual traditional to Roth IRA conversions.

Return to “POLITICS”