Yale 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Yale 2024

Post by The Orfling »

Lax3 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:25 pm Chauvette changes his commitment from Yale to JHU
Hopkins had a great year and lots of appeal to playing with your brother; best of luck to him.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yale 2023 commit Cole Cashion featured in a non-IL article on NJ First Team All State. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... r-AA1cSVj3

Cashion was the best offensive playmaker in the state of New Jersey and proved it by scoring a career-high 80 goals for Rumson-Fair Haven. The Yale commit also had 109 points and that made him just one of 15 players to get over the hump and hit triple-digits. Cashion was shut out in last year’s Tournament of Champions final by Mountain Lakes, but came back and had a hat trick in a win over that same program it faced in the Group 2 championship game last spring. Cashion started this year with seven goals against Haddonfield in a 13-3 win and it was on from there. The senior scored at least two goals in every single game this spring and the semifinals of the Kirst Cup were the first time he was held under that mark. Cashion also flashed against Bridgewater-Raritan with four goals and two assists He also had three goals in an overtime win against St. Augustine. No matter how much attention a defense throws his way, Cashion always finds a way to make plays. His speed allows him to shake most defenders, he wears them down with swim moves as well to get everyone off their game. Cashion had a hat trick in seven straight games at the end of the season. That’s just an example of how well Cashion can score. When he sees space, Cashion lets it fly. He’s one of the best scoring threats in program history.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:55 am Yale 2023 commit Cole Cashion featured in a non-IL article on NJ First Team All State. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... r-AA1cSVj3

Cashion was the best offensive playmaker in the state of New Jersey and proved it by scoring a career-high 80 goals for Rumson-Fair Haven. The Yale commit also had 109 points and that made him just one of 15 players to get over the hump and hit triple-digits. Cashion was shut out in last year’s Tournament of Champions final by Mountain Lakes, but came back and had a hat trick in a win over that same program it faced in the Group 2 championship game last spring. Cashion started this year with seven goals against Haddonfield in a 13-3 win and it was on from there. The senior scored at least two goals in every single game this spring and the semifinals of the Kirst Cup were the first time he was held under that mark. Cashion also flashed against Bridgewater-Raritan with four goals and two assists He also had three goals in an overtime win against St. Augustine. No matter how much attention a defense throws his way, Cashion always finds a way to make plays. His speed allows him to shake most defenders, he wears them down with swim moves as well to get everyone off their game. Cashion had a hat trick in seven straight games at the end of the season. That’s just an example of how well Cashion can score. When he sees space, Cashion lets it fly. He’s one of the best scoring threats in program history.
Chris Lyons 2.0 (Jersey public school guy flying a little bit below the recruiting radar)? Speculation aside, congrats to Cole on a great senior year and garnering the All-State recognition. Always fun to see what the newest Bulldogs will bring to the mix.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:43 pm
FannOLax wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:55 am Yale 2023 commit Cole Cashion featured in a non-IL article on NJ First Team All State. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... r-AA1cSVj3

Chris Lyons 2.0 (Jersey public school guy flying a little bit below the recruiting radar)? Speculation aside, congrats to Cole on a great senior year and garnering the All-State recognition. Always fun to see what the newest Bulldogs will bring to the mix.
Seems that the majority of NJ recruits have been from private schools, but Eric Scott was another NJ public-schooled player. With a need for an improved Eli defense, this blurb on an incoming first-year caught my attention:
"ROMAN BUONO, Malvern Prep – The senior is a gritty one-on-one defender for the Friars, who captured the Inter-Ac Playoff Championship. Recognized for his toughness and versatility, the 6-foot-1, 190-pound Buono has signed to play college lacrosse at Yale. He was a first team All Inter-Ac selection."
https://papreplive.com/2023/06/30/dln-a ... th-talent/
As I've said before, a frosh D who can make an impact like Quinn, Hynes or Fake did would be heaven-sent.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:38 am

Seems that the majority of NJ recruits have been from private schools, but Eric Scott was another NJ public-schooled player. With a need for an improved Eli defense, this blurb on an incoming first-year caught my attention:
"ROMAN BUONO, Malvern Prep – The senior is a gritty one-on-one defender for the Friars, who captured the Inter-Ac Playoff Championship. Recognized for his toughness and versatility, the 6-foot-1, 190-pound Buono has signed to play college lacrosse at Yale. He was a first team All Inter-Ac selection."
As I've said before, a frosh D who can make an impact like Quinn, Hynes or Fake did would be heaven-sent.
I have some friends from my Yale era who follow Inter-Ac lacrosse pretty closely (kids play or recently played), and they have spoken very highly of Buono. He's the younger brother of a Penn State LSM who has had two good seasons, but he seems destined for close defense, a position at which the Elis need depth. And as you point out, Fann, there's good precedent for Yale playing first-years at close defense. I don't think it's all about personnel (vs. scheme/philosophy/coaching) on the defensive end -- Yale struggled with a defensive ranking in the 50s in Fake's last year on campus -- but more depth at close defense (and ssdm) would be welcome.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:38 am

Did DeMuth play as a freshman? I can’t remember
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

As a freshman in 2019, DeMuth got playing time, but wasn't a regular starter.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:35 pm As a freshman in 2019, DeMuth got playing time, but wasn't a regular starter.
OK. I couldn’t remember.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:18 pm
FannOLax wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:35 pm As a freshman in 2019, DeMuth got playing time, but wasn't a regular starter.
OK. I couldn’t remember.
Everything pre-COVID feels like it was a hundred years ago.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Here's hoping that folks had a good 4th of July. A lot of summer stretches ahead of us before fall semester and fall ball. Last year, Yale hosted Marquette, UMass Lowell and Sacred Heart; in previous years, I recall Providence and Colgate (autumn 2017), Notre Dame (autumn 2018, which also included a game in Sparks, MD against the US National Team) and maybe Fairfield being fall-ball opponents.

The subject of Yale's defensive struggles have been widely discussed, while it looks like the offense will be fully loaded with returning talent. I'm wondering if face-off can improve, perhaps through hard work by returnees Ramsey and Rodriguez, perhaps through first-year Long Islander Annunziata. I'm also wondering if there's any update on the NCAA adding/allowing an additional paid assistant coach. With Mr. Tsai's generous endowment, the Elis could certainly afford a new paid assistant, and I think the team might be well benefit from additional coaching.

I hope everyone enjoys the summer, beaches, mountains, travel, outdoor music and good company.
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

I see James Ball is transferring to Georgetown. Was he injured this year? He was a stud at Chaminade and highly rated recruit. Surprised it didnt work out for him.
coda

Post by coda »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:23 am Here's hoping that folks had a good 4th of July. A lot of summer stretches ahead of us before fall semester and fall ball. Last year, Yale hosted Marquette, UMass Lowell and Sacred Heart; in previous years, I recall Providence and Colgate (autumn 2017), Notre Dame (autumn 2018, which also included a game in Sparks, MD against the US National Team) and maybe Fairfield being fall-ball opponents.

The subject of Yale's defensive struggles have been widely discussed, while it looks like the offense will be fully loaded with returning talent. I'm wondering if face-off can improve, perhaps through hard work by returnees Ramsey and Rodriguez, perhaps through first-year Long Islander Annunziata. I'm also wondering if there's any update on the NCAA adding/allowing an additional paid assistant coach. With Mr. Tsai's generous endowment, the Elis could certainly afford a new paid assistant, and I think the team might be well benefit from additional coaching.

I hope everyone enjoys the summer, beaches, mountains, travel, outdoor music and good company.
Yale needs better goalie play also. While the goalie is very solid at stopping shots, he is pretty poor in rebound control. That makes his stats look better than his play and stresses a questionable defense. Shay is big on the rule of 110, so issues at goalie and the X have to be killing him.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

coda wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:54 am
FannOLax wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:23 am Here's hoping that folks had a good 4th of July. A lot of summer stretches ahead of us before fall semester and fall ball. Last year, Yale hosted Marquette, UMass Lowell and Sacred Heart; in previous years, I recall Providence and Colgate (autumn 2017), Notre Dame (autumn 2018, which also included a game in Sparks, MD against the US National Team) and maybe Fairfield being fall-ball opponents.

Yale needs better goalie play also. While the goalie is very solid at stopping shots, he is pretty poor in rebound control. That makes his stats look better than his play and stresses a questionable defense. Shay is big on the rule of 110, so issues at goalie and the X have to be killing him.
Coda, that's an interesting observation re: rebound control and something to look out for this upcoming season.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Laxrules10 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:43 am I see James Ball is transferring to Georgetown. Was he injured this year? He was a stud at Chaminade and highly rated recruit. Surprised it didnt work out for him.
Not sure about 2023. In 2022 Ball was part of the face-off rotation although not the main face-off guy; he was a big part of why Yale was able to win its opening round NCAA tournament game against St. Joseph’s and their great face-off guy, Zach Cole. So lots of potential to do very well at Georgetown; best wishes to him.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:40 pm
Laxrules10 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:43 am I see James Ball is transferring to Georgetown. Was he injured this year? He was a stud at Chaminade and highly rated recruit. Surprised it didnt work out for him.
Not sure about 2023. In 2022 Ball was part of the face-off rotation although not the main face-off guy; he was a big part of why Yale was able to win its opening round NCAA tournament game against St. Joseph’s and their great face-off guy, Zach Cole. So lots of potential to do very well at Georgetown; best wishes to him.
Yes, Ball was part of a 3-man rotation, with Ramsey the #1 man and Rodriguez also in the mix. Plus, all three were in their first years playing for Yale.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Devon Archer (Yale '96 or '97) testifies before a House Committee on Monday re Hunter Biden. Will this allow him to supplant Jon Reese as Yale's most notorious midfielder? :P ;)
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Ivyman wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:31 am Devon Archer (Yale '96 or '97) testifies before a House Committee on Monday re Hunter Biden. Will this allow him to supplant Jon Reese as Yale's most notorious midfielder? :P ;)
Hmmm, Archer and Hunter... is there a Bowman to be found??
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I did not see any of this Adrenaline HS 2023 "All America" game, but two incoming Yalies got positive reviews from IL:

George Northup, G, Lawrenceville (N.J.) | Yale
Playing goalie in an all-star game is never easy, and the fact that Anderson played so well shouldn’t distract from how well his opposite number showed out. The future Bulldog netminder made eight saves and, while he’ll want that Anderson goal back, I was really impressed with his composure and focus throughout. His positioning and the way he reacted to his defense’s miscues showed me a solid game sense.

Cole Jackson, M, St. Francis (Calif.) | Yale
Jackson is an explosive athlete with great speed that constantly allows him to put pressure on the defense. Among the pieces of his game that set him up for success at the next level is his confidence and capability working with picks and dodging with the necessary patience to set the pick up. That said, his most impressive play on Sunday was when he came bombing out of the sub box, swept across the top and hammered a bouncer on the run.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/61903
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:34 am
Ivyman wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:31 am Devon Archer (Yale '96 or '97) testifies before a House Committee on Monday re Hunter Biden. Will this allow him to supplant Jon Reese as Yale's most notorious midfielder? :P ;)
Hmmm, Archer and Hunter... is there a Bowman to be found??
I’ve been working for a while on getting this primo bowman but no luck so far and it’s expensive:

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/baseb ... -253/22430
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:19 am I did not see any of this Adrenaline HS 2023 "All America" game, but two incoming Yalies got positive reviews from IL:

George Northup, G, Lawrenceville (N.J.) | Yale
Playing goalie in an all-star game is never easy, and the fact that Anderson played so well shouldn’t distract from how well his opposite number showed out. The future Bulldog netminder made eight saves and, while he’ll want that Anderson goal back, I was really impressed with his composure and focus throughout. His positioning and the way he reacted to his defense’s miscues showed me a solid game sense.

Cole Jackson, M, St. Francis (Calif.) | Yale
Jackson is an explosive athlete with great speed that constantly allows him to put pressure on the defense. Among the pieces of his game that set him up for success at the next level is his confidence and capability working with picks and dodging with the necessary patience to set the pick up. That said, his most impressive play on Sunday was when he came bombing out of the sub box, swept across the top and hammered a bouncer on the run.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/61903
Thanks, Fann. Nice to see some Yale ‘27 guys showing out well. That description of Jackson sounds a little bit like Brad Sharp’s game.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”