Tewaaraton 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Tewaaraton 2023

Post by DMac »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:38 pm (Schweitzer from Syracuse)
Das ist nicht richtig, obwohl es ein verständlicher Fehler ist.
Sweitzer.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

TEWAARATON FINALISTS - PREDICTIONS AND ODDS as of 4/28/23

Scane - 3 to 1
Tyrell - 8 to 1
Coykendall - 100 to 1
Medjid - 100 to 1
Peterson - 100 to 1
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

How about considering some players that do more than score. Some of these players barely redefend or ride in transition. They spend 1/2 the game waiting for their teammates, who do all the hard work, to get them the ball.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:26 am How about considering some players that do more than score. Some of these players barely redefend or ride in transition. They spend 1/2 the game waiting for their teammates, who do all the hard work, to get them the ball.
I think we’d all like to do that, but the committee has made their preferences pretty clear. I think people are discussing “most likely” and not who they’d “most like”.

FTR…defenders & goalies also wait half the game while their teammates put the yellow round thing in the net to earn points they need to win the game…
Bart

Post by Bart »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:26 am How about considering some players that do more than score. Some of these players barely redefend or ride in transition. They spend 1/2 the game waiting for their teammates, who do all the hard work, to get them the ball.
^^this^^ How can you be considered the best of anything if you show no or very little acumen on half the game?
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

IMO goalies should not be in the running for the Tewaaraton. There should be a prestigious goalie of the year award. They play a completely different game within the game and should not be compared to midfielders or elite attackers who must be incredible athletes to play their position at the highest of levels level. (I know - the best goalies are great athletes to but you know what I mean ).How do you compare an all round midfielder who may run 5+ miles per game sprinting, dodging, checking, battling on the draw, fighting for ground baĺls, assisting and scoring, to someone who moves 10 feet and must stop shots. The goalie is probably the most important and valuable player on the field at times but I just feel what they so is so unique and different that they should be compared to the 100+ players/goalies doing the same unique thing.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Bart wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:48 am
^^this^^ How can you be considered the best of anything if you show no or very little acumen on half the game?
well when you look at an attacker like Apuzzo who was an amazing scorer , great on draw, and was one of the best re-defenders - could ride with tenacity I can see how she would be the most valuable on the team hands down.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Completely agree, a GK can certainly be a MVP but that hardly makes her the best player in the game. D. Sweitzer is very, very shaky when she comes out of the cage, she's good for a couple of very costly TOs a game as a result of ill advised and poor outlet passes or just flat out having the ball taken away from her, yet she's on the T Award list. Has had an outstanding season for the most part but to be considered the best player in the game is just ridiculous. Further, I've come to really dislike this award for pretty much what you say above, this award is determined with blinders on, the focus is on scorers. M. Tyrell has proven to be a fantastic and clutch player, am taking absolutely nothing away from her here, but can she do what Katie Goodale does? Have watched Katie quite a bit this season, clearing the ball, coming up with DCs, playing mighty darn good D....I don't think MT could do what she does, nor do I think Izzy Scane could but you won't see Goodale on that list. Many, many examples like that but the scorers get the spotlight. JMHO.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Madlax59 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:13 am
Bart wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:48 am
well when you look at an attacker like Apuzzo who was an amazing scorer , great on draw, and was one of the best re-defenders - could ride with tenacity I can see how she would be the most valuable on the team hands down.
I quite agree on Apuzzo. She did more than just score goals. I my feeble mind there are 4 aspects of the game to be considered when determining the “best”. In no particular order they are points (g and a), dc’s , gb’s and defense (eye test and ct’s). The best should excel at 3 at a minimum. Racking up points is just not enough in my feeble mind. Ms Apuzzo did just that.

You might say this excludes all goalies and in a certain light it does. See 101’s post above but I can see a goalie who is a completely game changer as the winner. I would say 2019 is an example of this.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pretty much agree with that, Bart. The GK though, they, IMO, need to have a separate award.
Even the GK who is a game a changer just doesn't do enough on the field to be considered the
best player in the game. There are too many phases of the game that they simply do not participate
in to be considered better than every other player in all of lacrosse.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I'll stick to my point that in 2019 Appuzzo should have won again. She was clearly the best all round player in the game. It should never be a goalie. How much of that goalies success had to do with playing behind the best defense in the country. I'm sorry, someone who moves about 100 feet in the course of a 60 minutes game should not win the award. Happy to give her "goalie of the year". Interesting thing with Tyrell is that if you go back to the World Sixes last year, a game that is made for all round players who ride and defend and have to play more like midfielders and less as pure attackers, she struggled and had very little impact in any game. Was definitely not one of the best 5 players on the team. That says a lot in my opinion about exceling in just one phase of the game.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

I would consider them all day - goalies, defenders, draw girls...bring them all on! But I am a realist and the above is solely based on how the Tewaaraton WILL go, not how it SHOULD go.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

There is a zero percent chance all 5 finalist will be attackers. Just my opinion.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

intheknow247 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:44 am TEWAARATON FINALISTS - PREDICTIONS AND ODDS as of 4/28/23

Scane - 3 to 1
Tyrell - 8 to 1
Coykendall - 100 to 1
Medjid - 100 to 1
Peterson - 100 to 1
Just hitting this up there as the prediction was spot on...ODDS now are changing slightly but was 5 FOR 5 on predictions.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Lax101 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:26 pm There is a zero percent chance all 5 finalist will be attackers. Just my opinion.
Kinda ridiculous that your post was proven wrong. Not only are the women's finalists all attackers, but also the five men's finalists all play attack as well. C'mon.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Definitely proven wrong. The winner is obvious but I think it sends the wrong message not to have a middie or defender on the list since there are a few very good ones out there. Again, just my opinion. Quite sure there have never been 5 attackers before. Not only did they pick just attackers, they picked a few that dont ride in transition and arguably are not even the best overall player on their team.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

Lax101 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:17 pm Definitely proven wrong. The winner is obvious but I think it sends the wrong message not to have a middie or defender on the list since there are a few very good ones out there. Again, just my opinion. Quite sure there have never been 5 attackers before. Not only did they pick just attackers, they picked a few that dont ride in transition and arguably are not even the best overall player on their team.
not an impressive list.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Can Opener wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:41 pm
Lax101 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:26 pm There is a zero percent chance all 5 finalist will be attackers. Just my opinion.
Not only are the women's finalists all attackers, but also the five men's finalists all play attack as well. C'mon.
This is garbage, absolute garbage. Don't like this award anymore.
As a side, what's the over/under for how many times Joe B will say the T' Award is the equivalent of the Heisman during the tourney?
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

Lax101 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:17 pm Definitely proven wrong. The winner is obvious but I think it sends the wrong message not to have a middie or defender on the list since there are a few very good ones out there. Again, just my opinion. Quite sure there have never been 5 attackers before. Not only did they pick just attackers, they picked a few that dont ride in transition and arguably are not even the best overall player on their team.
Is it possible they punished the few AA Middies that really are attackers? or play so little midfield its laughable? Usually they have at least a middle or a defender.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Since all of the Tewaaraton finalists are attackers, like it or not, offensive stats will be critical to the final voting. As posted previously, there is a big correlation between the award winner’s team performance and the final individual voting. It is rare for someone not playing in the finals to win the Tewaaraton.

The Vegas line on Scane winning the Tewy probably inched down a little this weekend. If the other contenders could draw up an outcome (short of NU losing) that would boost their odds, it would probably be what happened Sunday. The Wildcats seemed out of sorts, putting up their worst offensive performance of the year against an opponent with a 12-8 record. Their scoring leader had only 1 goal on 10 shots and also had a yellow card. That doesn’t mean, of course, that she is not a super elite player, but how will the committee weigh her tournament results vs. her remarkable overall body of work this season?

I will try to update these stats after each of the rounds. I ranked them in order of best tournament performance so far, weighting stats over eye tests. There are arguments against these rankings, but I placed Peterson first since JMU had a tougher draw than the other finalists’ teams and she still managed to put up big numbers.

Peterson
12-8 win over Army 4G 1A 27%SH 2TO
15-14 win over Maryland 7G 2A 88%SH 1TO
Tournament 11G 3A 48%SH 3TO
Season 89G 23A 50%SH 51TO

Tyrell
25-8 win over Hopkins 6G 3A 86%SH 1TO
Tournament 6G 3A 86%SH 1TO
Season 55G 50A 51%SH 21TO

Medjid
9-7 win over Penn 2G 1A 67%SH 0TO
Tournament 2G 1A 67%SH 0TO