The country that was

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: The country that was

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:17 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:14 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:52 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:26 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:32 am In our seemingly inexorable march to cancel ourselves, how much longer do you figure it will be before the United States (a misnomer at best) is a country that was?
I questioned this about 6-8 years ago and people thought I was nuts. I don’t like what I am seeing. This country is very young….been saying it for years. What I didn’t also consider is that it’s the oldest democracy on the planet. I don’t believe people that want to be in power, want a democracy. It requires a certain degree of selflessness and country before the ego. I am note hopeful. January 6th was a HUGE deal in this country. Not because of the clowns climbing the walls but because of a criminal administration working to steal and election. The media is the enemy is the first step in overturning a democracy. When a coup takes place, media outlets are the first thing to be taken over. It’s not an accident.
I used to think the biggest risk to my grandkids living in the US was would the national debt be addressed. Now I believe it's politicians and political parties (honestly only one of them) willing to do anything to be elected and stay in power. We may have crossed the Rubicon in 2020.

What surprises me this election cycle is that election denial isn't the highest candidate criteria. It is for me.
Glad my parents, sensible, lifelong, Republicans aren’t around to see what’s going on today. The unreasonable following of a white-supremacist con man, followed by politicians too weak to say anything and citizenry too loyal to a party to care. It just doesn’t look good for the future.
How would they react to much of what the Dems are trying to do ?
Not like the current crowd…sound alike you could check with George Will on that.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:03 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:53 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:32 am In our seemingly inexorable march to cancel ourselves, how much longer do you figure it will be before the United States (a misnomer at best) is a country that was?
If you polish up on your Mandarin, you can work your way into becoming Minister of Electric Bicycles.
Can I get the minister of morally ambiguous women seat?
Are you a bona fide Yes Man?
a fan

Post by a fan »

I questioned this about 6-8 years ago and people thought I was nuts. I don’t like what I am seeing. This country is very young….been saying it for years. What I didn’t also consider is that it’s the oldest democracy on the planet. I don’t believe people that want to be in power, want a democracy. It requires a certain degree of selflessness and country before the ego. I am note hopeful. January 6th was a HUGE deal in this country. Not because of the clowns climbing the walls but because of a criminal administration working to steal and election. The media is the enemy is the first step in overturning a democracy. When a coup takes place, media outlets are the first thing to be taken over. It’s not an accident.
I used to think the biggest risk to my grandkids living in the US was would the national debt be addressed. Now I believe it's politicians and political parties (honestly only one of them) willing to do anything to be elected and stay in power. We may have crossed the Rubicon in 2020.

What surprises me this election cycle is that election denial isn't the highest candidate criteria. It is for me.
Glad my parents, sensible, lifelong, Republicans aren’t around to see what’s going on today. The unreasonable following of a white-supremacist con man, followed by politicians too weak to say anything and citizenry too loyal to a party to care. It just doesn’t look good for the future.
What are "the Dems trying to do?"

We're talking laws here, not cultural stuff, right?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:42 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:03 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:53 pm
If you polish up on your Mandarin, you can work your way into becoming Minister of Electric Bicycles.
Can I get the minister of morally ambiguous women seat?
Are you a bona fide Yes Man?
As bonafide as this guy…

https://coenbrothers.fandom.com/wiki/Ul ... ett_McGill
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:45 pm

Culture is law!
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

The "is" is always the "was". There is no future, only the present.

Having said that, I think the changes that the increasing pace of climate change will have on the pillars of civilization: readily available potable water, relatively temperate climate (lack of temperature and precipitation extremes), will induce such unimaginable variations from the generally expected that we will have no idea what hit us.

Or, to employ the vernacular, "we fncked".

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environ ... -rcna53900

"The amount of carbon dioxide and two other greenhouse gases in Earth's atmosphere hit record highs last year, the World Meteorological Organization said in a report published Wednesday.

Carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide are the three main greenhouse gases responsible for trapping heat in the atmosphere and driving global warming. The WMO’s latest Greenhouse Gas Bulletin, published annually, found that concentrations of all three reached new highs last year — a worrying trend and a sign that the world is not doing enough to fight climate change.

“WMO’s Greenhouse Gas Bulletin has underlined, once again, the enormous challenge — and the vital necessity — of urgent action to cut greenhouse gas emissions and prevent global temperatures rising even further in the future,” Petteri Taalas, the WMO’s secretary-general, said in a statement.

The increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide from 2020 to 2021 was larger than the average annual growth rate over the past decade, according to the report. The WMO also said last year's rise in methane levels was the biggest year-on-year jump since such measurements began almost 40 years ago."
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:18 pm The "is" is always the "was". There is no future, only the present.

Having said that, I think the changes that the increasing pace of climate change will have on the pillars of civilization: readily available potable water, relatively temperate climate (lack of temperature and precipitation extremes), will induce such unimaginable variations from the generally expected that we will have no idea what hit us.

"The amount of carbon dioxide and two other greenhouse gases in Earth's atmosphere hit record highs last year, the World Meteorological Organization said in a report published Wednesday.

Carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide are the three main greenhouse gases responsible for trapping heat in the atmosphere and driving global warming. The WMO’s latest Greenhouse Gas Bulletin, published annually, found that concentrations of all three reached new highs last year — a worrying trend and a sign that the world is not doing enough to fight climate change.

“WMO’s Greenhouse Gas Bulletin has underlined, once again, the enormous challenge — and the vital necessity — of urgent action to cut greenhouse gas emissions and prevent global temperatures rising even further in the future,” Petteri Taalas, the WMO’s secretary-general, said in a statement.

The increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide from 2020 to 2021 was larger than the average annual growth rate over the past decade, according to the report. The WMO also said last year's rise in methane levels was the biggest year-on-year jump since such measurements began almost 40 years ago."
Know you like it so heres Rust Cohle confirming your thesis

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0mhZBLUyybo
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'm equally puzzled by what Salty could mean...."trying to do"...???

Heck, even if it was cultural stuff, my lifelong GOP parents would not be shocked or upset. They might disagree or be uncomfortable with some of the more whackadoodle stuff, but I'm pretty sure that my dad who died in 2019 would have been 100% disgusted down the home stretch of the Trump presidency and ignominious exit. He may even have voted for Biden, not Trump in 2020, though he might have held his nose one more time...but Jan 6 etc would have blown his mind. My mom voted for Biden, first Dem ever...heck, he was my first ever Dem for President.

And she's very peeved about the overturn of Roe. Many of her friends are livid. My dad would have been PO'd too...didn't think government should be telling women what to do...he'd 'left' the Catholic Church over contraception back in the 50's/60's.
a fan

Post by a fan »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:18 pm

Misleading. Covid.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:41 pm

Misleading. Covid.
What? COVID emits greenhouse gases? What are you trying to say?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
a fan

Post by a fan »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:46 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:41 pm

Misleading. Covid.
What? COVID emits greenhouse gases? What are you trying to say?
Shut downs. How much driving did people do during covid? How many factories were shut down?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:28 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:18 pm The "is" is always the "was". There is no future, only the present.

One of the greatest characters in cinematic history.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

You beat me to it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

wouldn't we expect this even if it's a tiny time frame like 40 years? even 40 years ago, the global population is up 75%. 100 years ago, it's up 4 fold.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:09 pm

wouldn't we expect this even if it's a tiny time frame like 40 years? even 40 years ago, the global population is up 75%. 100 years ago, it's up 4 fold.
No. Year-on-year jump. Did the population double over the past year?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:32 pm

sorry, i didn't de-bold the one year jump. i was talking about the *record* levels, the 1st bolding.

and as a fan says, couldn't/wouldn't this possibly be a product of the 2020 covid pause? what were their readings from 2019 to 2020? and wouldn't we be looking at 1 year jumps (or dumps) in the context of randomness vs trend anyway?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:57 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:28 pm

One of the greatest characters in cinematic history.
Word! Have watched season 1 four times. That scene he’s undercover robbing the drug dealers is straight up seminal filmography.

I sadly feel him a lot in his nihilism and breakdown at the end though I can’t tell if it’s because I’m twisted up or because that’s freaking great art.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If we believe in technology, science and progress it’s not unreasonable to believe we could break the curve and not see a parallel move between population and changes in various measurements (methane, CO2, whatever).

I don’t know nearly enough about the science but we’ve managed to bend curves relative to population in many many areas so “expected”? I don’t know. I’m sure there are ans were projections made by scientists previously. Did they expect a parallel or similar move? I don’t know the answer an open question to those more knowledgeable.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:41 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:32 pm

sorry, i didn't de-bold the one year jump. i was talking about the *record* levels, the 1st bolding.

and as a fan says, couldn't/wouldn't this possibly be a product of the 2020 covid pause? what were their readings from 2019 to 2020? and wouldn't we be looking at 1 year jumps (or dumps) in the context of randomness vs trend anyway?
Maybe you’re looking more for a per capita type number?
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Is that you talking or the Camp Lejeune water?

Return to “POLITICS”