Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:It is about what is right and just. 63% of the people surveyed want the investigation to continue. If these guys broke laws and stole an election you don’t care?
Do you care about Obama's overseas (read FOREIGN) bundlers raising millions for his campaign? Didn't think so, because HE"S not in office, right?
Statue of limitations...as in not ever moving on anything.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/08/28/el ... ent-probe/

The Sri Lankan government, long under fire for official corruption and at a low point in its relations with Washington, did just that. Over a five-month period in 2014, it paid Zuberi $4.5 million directly — plus another $2 million to a company he co-owns — for consulting services which included influencing the U.S. government, according to documents obtained by Foreign Policy. Zuberi’s windfall was not disclosed to the Justice Department, as required under federal law, and the lobbying and public relations firms hired through his company to influence the U.S. government on Sri Lanka’s behalf have all received DOJ subpoenas, according to a senior government official. Justice is seeking public assets allegedly stolen from Sri Lanka. None of the firms is a target of the investigation, which is focused on members of the family of the country’s former president and has not been previously reported.

TAATS
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Any pretend looking for teeth? Didn't think so. Ocasio-Sanchez or Delgado talking about FARA and the faucet of illegal campaign contributions? Didn't think so.

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/17/56373798 ... rt-mueller

From 1966 to 2017, the Justice Department sought just seven prosecutions under the Foreign Agents Registration Act, or FARA, which requires Americans working on behalf of foreign governments, foreign political parties, or any person or organization outside the U.S., to disclose who is paying them to do what.

Talk about a seven year itch
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

holmes435 wrote:
runrussellrun wrote:So is Bernie Sanders :D
It's kind of funny. Actual liberals and progressives should be pro-gun like Sanders is (to an extent, he's voted for assault weapon bans, standard capacity magazine bans and other things) as it's a civil right. They always say things like "prohibition" doesn't work on matters like weed and abortion and other things that could be better handled of by other programs.

Who knew Republicans (and us pro-gun indies) were so progressive regarding some civil rights? :)
Just look up the history of the right to gun ownership and the civil rights movement.... Belief in the right to gun ownership should be (and in reality vs politics IS) a progressive stance.

My understanding is that in Bernie's home state of VT (where real progressive live), they view the second amendment as your "concealed carry" permit....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Take what you will from this. Yes...the source. Please, this is an actual goolge TGIF meeting.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/09/ ... -election/
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

America Is Living James Madison’s Nightmare [The Atlantic]

Interesting (and loong) read about the bastardization of the Founders vision of a government "Of, By and For" the people.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

runrussellrun wrote:Take what you will from this. Yes...the source. Please, this is an actual goolge TGIF meeting.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/09/ ... -election/
do you think this calls into question any and all search results? :oops:
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Sounds like a private company expressing its values in a meeting and discussing what they can do in the community to help foster those values. Discussed combating actual fake news. Even urging tolerance towards its conservative employees.

If you don't agree with those values, use another search engine.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

holmes435 wrote:Sounds like a private company expressing its values in a meeting and discussing what they can do in the community to help foster those values. Discussed combating actual fake news. Even urging tolerance towards its conservative employees.

When goolge spends $20 million lobbying congress, the public/private thing gets blurry. Doesn't it? When members of Congress own goolge stock, it gets even undefined. Murky. Bing is Microsofts. They, along with bozo's amazon, get billions in government cloud contracts. (CIA/NSA) What is a PRIVATE company doing the nations secret business? Don't think you are thinking this through all the way.

Was it you, holmes, that tried to get the same price as goolge when filling up your private jet with aviation fuel? Private? :lol:
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

holmes435 wrote:Sounds like a private company expressing its values in a meeting and discussing what they can do in the community to help foster those values. Discussed combating actual fake news. Even urging tolerance towards its conservative employees.

but what if you don't agree with Google and work there...???

Imagine being a conservative and having to sit through that.

Or, perhaps more apropos, imagine working for a company (in what is supposed to be the BEST JOB in the country) and management stands up and throws a party because Trump won. Imagine that at that "party" where attendance is mandatory, they lecture you on the ways Google needs to work to help ramp up support for his supreme court nominees, and "educate" the recalcitrant dems so that they understand how they should be supporting his policies, and how we need that wall, and bigger corporate tax cuts...

And you can say - go get another job if you don't like that one, but you have spent $100,000's on your education and Google is the pinnacle job in your chosen field. You leave there, imagine the questions.

interviewer: why did you leave?";
answer: "well I don't conform to the industry orthodoxy";
interviewer: "well then how will you fit in here?"

frmanfan

Post by frmanfan »

Is it just me, or am I just not getting the logic of these arguments?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/1/17638 ... or-ban-law

“I am convinced that e-cigarettes represent the ‘re-invention of smoking,’ cooked up by Big Tobacco to hook a new generation,” Durbin said in a statement on Monday. That recipe includes “flavors that shamelessly appeal to kids,” Durbin said.

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13 ... galization

Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto joined Pennsylvania Auditor General Eugene DePasquale in calling Thursday for state leaders to legalize marijuana for recreational use, saying it could create a $1.7 billion industry that would generate more than $500 million in annual tax revenue.
A cold beer and a warm woman is all I need to keep me happy. Sometimes a cold beer is enough...
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

The arguments aren't made by the same people ????? No shrugging thingyee
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

frmanfan wrote:Is it just me, or am I just not getting the logic of these arguments?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/1/17638 ... or-ban-law

“I am convinced that e-cigarettes represent the ‘re-invention of smoking,’ cooked up by Big Tobacco to hook a new generation,” Durbin said in a statement on Monday. That recipe includes “flavors that shamelessly appeal to kids,” Durbin said.

https://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13 ... galization

Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto joined Pennsylvania Auditor General Eugene DePasquale in calling Thursday for state leaders to legalize marijuana for recreational use, saying it could create a $1.7 billion industry that would generate more than $500 million in annual tax revenue.
I don't know the answer but is marijuana being marketed to kids?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

If they have a cell phone, they are free to target IMHO
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

HooDat wrote:

Maybe try and change the culture? Move up the ladder and affect company policy? Put out a memo about company values that isn't idiotic.
HooDat wrote: Imagine being a conservative and having to sit through that.

Or, perhaps more apropos, imagine working for a company (in what is supposed to be the BEST JOB in the country) and management stands up and throws a party because Trump won. Imagine that at that "party" where attendance is mandatory, they lecture you on the ways Google needs to work to help ramp up support for his supreme court nominees, and "educate" the recalcitrant dems so that they understand how they should be supporting his policies, and how we need that wall, and bigger corporate tax cuts...
I've been there, having worked at one of the more traditionally conservative universities in the country (actual conservative, not like a Liberty University type place) - I held my tongue, took the paycheck, engaged with coworkers and students in thoughtful discussions surrounding sensitive topics when appropriate. Most everyone was great to work with and good people, even if I didn't agree with them on a number of issues.
HooDat wrote: And you can say - go get another job if you don't like that one, but you have spent $100,000's on your education and Google is the pinnacle job in your chosen field. You leave there, imagine the questions.

interviewer: why did you leave?";
answer: "well I don't conform to the industry orthodoxy";
interviewer: "well then how will you fit in here?"
That is my field. I don't recommend getting a job at Google nowadays because there are a lot of issues with the interview process, expectations and work environment. It's great for some people, not for others. If a job applicant is going to have that much of an issue with the work environment and values of a company, they clearly didn't do their research beforehand.

I'll tell you from experience from school through a couple of decades of work that many software engineers and engineers in general seem to lean more conservative or libertarian than liberal. People going out on a limb creating software startups generally are not that conservative. There are plenty of very powerful companies out there where more conservative programmers would fit in. Ironically most are doing government work.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Yup, Holmes, you're right. Software engineers are mostly misogynists. (hence conservative ;) How many woman onstage in the goolge TGIF video? 20% And ZERO percent blacks. Any in the audience? (working at goolge) WHite privilege indeed. All talk, no smack.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... en/517788/
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote:If they have a cell phone, they are free to target IMHO
Perhaps. Was big tobacco marketing cigarettes to kids and is now being accused of marketing e-cigarettes to kids? That may have been pre-cell phone so e-cigarettes is fair game? The guy from "Picksburg" (I believe) was connecting the two articles and I wasn't sure if the nexus was marketing both products (MJ/e-cigs)to kids......
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Interesting piece by Robert Cherry (Professor of Economics at Brooklyn College and the CUNY Graduate Center) talking about dems "putting solidarity with other progressive causes ahead of the interests of the black community" in part due to their refusal to allow open discussions. https://quillette.com/2018/09/10/the-co ... s-on-race/
Beinart approvingly references Oxford economist Paul Collier’s claims that in their “desperate [desire] not to give succor” to nativist bigots, “social scientists have strained every muscle to show that migration is good for everyone.” Harvard immigration skeptic George Borjas pointed to “a lot of self-censorship among young social scientists.” However, immigration is not a straightforward issue that pits the interests of whites against those of people of color.

a fan

Post by a fan »

HooDat wrote:

Imagine being a conservative and having to sit through that.
This last sentence is where the liberals are right.....this is a snowflake complaint. What do you think it was like being a liberal working, well, pretty much anywhere in corporate America, for oh, all but the last decade or so? Did you hear all this complaining then?

Are we really so blind as to think that it was sunshine and rainbows at the workplace for liberals, minorities, or heaven forbid....women, over the last 200 years?

And, of course, this assumes that they'd hire you in the first place. Which they didn't, obviously.

And if you dared complain, you were branded a pinko commie feminist, or....simply fired for rocking the boat. My advice to conservatives complaining about working for liberal companies is the same advice they doled out to women and minorities for 200+ years: shut up. You're lucky you have a job. And if you don't like it, find somewhere else to work.

As for my place, we're apolitical, and would never foist this crap on our employees. I have NO CLUE how any company or employee could possibly find the time for politics at work. We also manage to avoid talking about G*d. Imagine that?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Conservative snowflakes should take the advise offered by Trump
Donald Trump said he hoped his daughter would "find another career or find another company" if she experienced the kind of sexual harassment

OR Trump Jr.
"If you can't handle some of the basic stuff that's become a problem in the workforce today, you don't belong in the work force. You should go maybe teach kindergarten," Trump responded.
Typical Lax Dad

foreverlax wrote:Conservative snowflakes should take the advise offered by Trump
Donald Trump said he hoped his daughter would "find another career or find another company" if she experienced the kind of sexual harassment

OR Trump Jr.
"If you can't handle some of the basic stuff that's become a problem in the workforce today, you don't belong in the work force. You should go maybe teach kindergarten," Trump responded.
Women can always leave!! ..... a very good friend and former colleague of mine is the reason Deerfield is now co-ed.... he started working on it when his daughter was born and he realized by the time he left the hospital that she would not be able to go to Deerfield unless something changed.....so he changed it.......

Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”