Connecticut 2021

HS Boys Lacrosse
fritz44

Re: Connecticut 2021

Post by fritz44 »

Wilton up 10-6 vs Staples at half. Wilton doing well on faceoffs and both teams have been scoring in quick back and forth runs.

Livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jEelfu ... ghSchoolTV
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

Wilton wins 13- 10 .

This mixes things up for the FCIAC rankings now. Staples looked sloppy with a couple unforced turnovers and they didn't excel with face-offs or goaltending like was expected. Wilton looked better then against NC, less turnovers, better on clears, they had a couple mental errors but a solid performance overall.
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

Also from Dave Rudens twitter

Greenwich 15 - 13 Ridgefield.

https://twitter.com/DaveRuden/status/13 ... 2054094851

Bizzaro world.
SlingtheRock7

Post by SlingtheRock7 »

Well, this was not easy to do after the mayhem of this past weekend's results. The only teams I am completely positive about in their ranking are #1 and #7. Every other spot was relatively unclear to place and I can see a number of arguments for different teams moving up or down. This is especially the case for #2-#6. If this weekend was any indication, we should have an exciting year of FCIAC lacrosse on our hands. Close/surprising results all over the place, which made putting this ranking together a pain. I tried my best to lay out my logic for my rankings but I'm sure there will be some disagreement with the order. Just my opinion/outlook!

1. Darien- Going to try to not beat a dead horse here as I think Random Observer did a fantastic job recapping Darien’s game against Brunswick. Demopolous was elite and the defense stepped up. Completely agree with Random’s offensive assessment of Darien. Minicus and Moore were the only real initiators out there but became quiet as the game went on. Brunswick’s D-mids impressed me and did a great job in their matchups when challenged. Brady Pokorny had a fantastic effort with 4 goals Saturday, especially considering he’s only a freshman. He had one very nice over-the-top sweep with a shot on the run for a goal, but overall he’s not a primary initiator. Not yet at least and who would expect him to be as only a freshman. Would’ve loved to see a full-strength Darien take them on with Matheis. That being said, this was my first time watching Brunswick so I genuinely have no clue how well they performed in comparison to their standards this year. Brunswick was able to expose the face-off play of Darien, particularly in the 2nd half. This allowed them to claw back into a game that Darien very much had control of and easily could have won. No movement from them out of my #1 spot. Tough loss but an amazing game to watch.

2. Staples- Alright, I hope I don’t enrage anyone with my seedings of 2-6. This was a nightmare to rank based on each team’s resume and injury/covid issues. I feel as though I have to keep Staples here at #2 though. The loss against Wilton was tough Saturday night. Wilton’s offense was extremely impressive, as was their FOGO Spencer Liston. He completely mitigated the possession advantage Staples has enjoyed throughout the year and made it at least very close to 50/50 at the X (not sure the exact statistics here but like Fritz44 said it wasn’t a major advantage). Staples had a number of penalties that set them back early. That compounded with sloppy play and poor team execution led to the 13-10 loss. However, I can’t pick a team that could leapfrog them here. NC and Greenwich are out due to head-to-head losses and similar records. That leaves Ridgefield or Wilton. Staples vs. Darien was considerably closer than Ridgefield vs. Darien, plus Ridgefield just took a loss this weekend. That left me only Wilton but I don’t feel as though they should leapfrog so far up the rankings considering their resume losses. Staples’ wins over NC, Greenwich, and competitiveness against Darien keep them at #2, but not by a wide margin at all.

3. Ridgefield- Ridgefield retains my #3 spot despite the 15-13 loss at the hands of Greenwich (anyone watch this? Would love to know that happened here). The team is now 5-2 with their other loss coming against the Blue Wave. I initially planned to drop Ridgefield down my rankings after the weekend but resume comparisons led me to keep them in this slot. All 5 of Ridgefield’s wins have come against credible opposition, some more credible than others but still all respectable teams (St. Joe’s, New Canaan, Prep, Wilton, Warde). No other team below them has nearly as many solid wins. Ridgefield beat New Canaan head-to-head and had a higher margin of victory against Prep compared to NC. They beat Wilton head-to-head 11-7 and defeated a NC team that beat Wilton. They did lose head-to-head against Greenwich, but that’s Greenwich’s only solid win and the Cardinals also lost to a Prep team that Ridgefield handled 13-5. The spot is far from secure though and could see change depending on how this week plays out. Ridgefield is @Brunswick tonight, vs. Trumbull Thursday and @New Canaan for a rematch this Saturday. The Saturday game @New Canaan in particular has some big implications as to how 2-6 should be ranked.

4. Wilton- Great win for Wilton on Saturday against Staples and by far their biggest statement win of the season. Wilton was able to battle at the face-off X and the offense really impressed me. 13 goals against a very good Staples defense is an admirable performance. A great win over my #2 team has them leapfrog New Canaan into the #4 spot, but only by the slightest of margins. I will admit that a portion of this does have to do with Frtiz’s info on Wilton's key offensive absences against New Canaan. If their attack is healthy I personally believe that could’ve been a different result. The bigger reason for me ranking them here is because of the impressive nature of their win over a Staples team that I highly respect. Now Wilton doesn’t have the strongest of resumes, their next most impressive win came against Daniel Hand. However, the Staples win is better than anything on New Canaan’s resume if you factor in that Wilton wasn’t full strength in the head to head. If you don’t want to put weight into the circumstances, then I can definitely see how you would place NC in this spot. Wilton is @Ludlowe on Thursday and @Darien Saturday. Both offer great opportunities to score compare with New Canaan. Darien is obviously a big game, but Thursday night against a full-strength Ludlowe team may be closer than a lot of people expect.

5. New Canaan- NC killed Stamford 18-3 Thursday night but that means nothing. Unfortunately, they had no game over the weekend to bolster their resume, which probably has hurt them in my rankings due to a bit of result recency bias on my part. As I mentioned previously, the Rams have been very underwhelming in my eyes so far. I do agree with other posters though and can see them turning their performances around with adjusted offensive philosophy or personnel. Wilton’s very positive weekend has them drop back a spot, but they are almost tied for position #4 in my eyes. @Warde on Thursday and a Saturday rematch with Ridgefield are both big games to determine where NC belongs on this ranking. 2 wins could see them jump up to 3 depending on how the rest of the unpredictable FCIAC plays out.

6. Greenwich- Huge weekend result for Greenwich with their 15-13 W up at Ridgefield. Didn’t get a chance to watch it on Saturday but beating the Tigers makes a statement that they can play with almost anyone this year. Greenwich also enjoyed a 12-6 win against Mcmahon earlier in the week to bolster their record up to 3-2, with both of those losses coming against good competition right after a COVID layoff. Unfortunately, they do also only have 1 quality win, which came on Saturday. Their next best win was 12-6 over a very below average Mcmahon team that can not win a face-off to save their life. Despite a very good win over Ridgefield, their resume doesn’t justify a higher seeding than the teams placed 1-5. This week offers a great opportunity to hop up my rankings for Greenwich. @St Joe’s Tuesday, @Darien Wednesday, and vs. Warde Saturday are all credible games that should reveal where Greenwich belongs. The bottom line is I just haven’t seen enough of Greenwich against quality teams but that will change soon and give them a better argument to move up from 6.

7. Ludlowe- Took care of business against a bad ND West Haven team 16-3 on Saturday. Completely dominated face-offs and O/D clearly did what they needed to. They followed that up by beating down a respectable St. Joe’s team 16-7. This game was 10-1 at the half. Elite performance by the Ludlowe defense first half and a very impressive showing by their offensive unit that seems to be developing some solid chemistry. Their FOGO Klyver was again instrumental in controlling this game, although he wasn’t quite as dominant in comparison to previous outings. Another guy that stands out on this team is Liam Keeser, a 6’4 middy that has been a matchup nightmare for teams. Ludlowe has established that they firmly deserve this 7 spot over 8, 9, and 10. However, I can’t move them any higher unless they beat some of the big boys ranked above them. They have a great opportunity Thursday night at home vs. Wilton to further show that they’re capable of competing with the traditional blue bloods in the state.

8. Warde- No game this past weekend to adjust their ranking but they jump St. Joe’s following Joe’s loss to Trumbull, which I would count as a very very bad loss, and their blowout against Ludlowe. Warde has a very tough stretch of games coming up this week. Tuesday @Darien, Thursday vs. New Canaan, Saturday @Greenwich. I don’t expect Darien to be close with the Blue Wave just coming off a loss but am very intrigued to see how they fare against NC and Greenwich. A good performance against NC or Greenwich, maybe even a win, could see them climb in my eyes.

9. St. Joe’s- St Joe’s takes a drop after an unexplainable 11-10 loss to Trumbull. Really can’t wrap my head around them dropping this game to a Trumbull team that lost 16-3 against Warde. Keep in mind they just beat Warde 11-8 last Thursday. This was followed up by a significant loss at the hands of Ludlowe. Gave a brief description earlier in this post but the game was never remotely close. St. Joe’s was blown out of the water immediately in the first quarter and never clawed back into it. Face-offs weren’t even a major issue. Their offense was stifled by a cohesive Ludlowe defense and outside of Preston Kral, no one could consistently beat their man. This includes the shorty vs. shorty matchups. The defense seemed lost and was constantly scrambling to try and slow down an impressive set of Ludlowe O-mids. Back-to-back losses see St. Joe’s drop below Warde. The bad Trumbull loss and blowout against Ludlowe lead me to believe their win over Warde was more down to catching the Mustangs on an off-day.

10. Trumbull- Big win for Trumbull but I just can’t bump them up above the 10 spot. The beatdown they suffered against Warde and the unconvincing performance against Ludlowe keeps them down here below St. Joe’s, at least for now. The return of Ethan Hughes to Trumbull’s midfield made a noticeable difference against St. Joe’s. A gritty 4th quarter performance by this team saw them over come a 10-7 deficit and eventually win 11-10. St. Joe’s made a ton of basic unforced errors all over the field though, which gave Trumbull the necessary possessions to pull this off. I do believe that Trumbull deserves to stay here in the 10 spot. The 16-3 blowout loss to Warde stands out and their face-off play continues to be atrocious. Great win against St. Joe’s and the gap between the two is clearly closer than I initially expected. However, having watched this team a number of times this season I firmly believe that this is where they belong for now, gap closing rapidly on St. Joe’s though.
Last edited by SlingtheRock7 on Tue May 04, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Great stuff SlingtheRock, really appreciate your and fritz's very in-depth, informed write ups. Recalls the good old days of Blue Warrior with encyclopedic knowledge of all things CT high school lax. Agree that Darien has to be kicking themselves over the Brunswick. There are several reasons for the loss (Wick is really, really good, face-off and missing Mathias as you said) but, in a close game like that, it also has be be experience in close games like that. Between last year and the start of this, it has been 2 years since Darien was really pushed in a game, many/most of the contributors on this team have never played in a down to the wire HS game. With their brutal schedule, Wick has (although missed virtually all of last year as well). This was their 3rd 1 goal game this year. Darien will be better for it.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Brunswick played much much better on Saturday than they did against Lawrenceville and Haverford in their previous two games. Those were two pretty lethargic performances and I think the loss to Lawrenceville knocked some sense into them. In their other games, they've had short stretches where they've looked unstoppable and other stretches where they let teams hang around. Barring the first 5 minutes again Darien, in which they got knocked to the canvas so to speak, I though that was probably Wick's most consistent performance, in terms of sustaining a high level of play for more than a quarter or so; they had some great 5-6 minute stretches against Belmont Hill, Wilton, Lawrenceville (game 1), and Haverford, but they couldn't sustain it. The kids were quoted in the paper as saying the second half was the best they've played all year, and I'm inclined to agree. They valued the ball more and worked for their shots instead of letting it fly the moment they got a step on the defender.

Agree with pcowlax in that Brunswick's gauntlet leading up to the game probably had them more prepared emotionally and physically for the latter stages of the game; they seemed to pick up steam just as Darien started to wobble and tire, and they played with great confidence in the 4th quarter despite never having the lead. Within the FCIAC there have been times when Darien has been in a tight game and you could just sense that they were more confident and comfortable under pressure than NC/Wilton/Ridgefield because they'd been hardened by battles against the likes of St. Anthony's and Manhasset. A shame that they weren't capable of scheduling either of them this year, as they really won't get a chance to redeem themselves on a national stage this year (I'm a big believer in this year's Manhasset team, as well as the teams coming up the pipe for them). Given that they are playing Ridgefield and NC twice during the regular season, it would've been cool to see Darien schedule a home-and-home with the Bruins; I can't imagine they could come out any hotter than they did on Saturday, or that Demopolous could play any better than he did in keeping them in the game, but the offense probably couldn't play any sloppier in a rematch than they did in the second half, so who knows how things would shake out. Then again, keeping it to one matchup a year does make it more special.

Really interesting seeing the parity shake out amongst everyone else. Greenwich over Ridgefield is a real stunner. Very happy for the Cardinals after their unfortunate delayed start, and given how much talent they've lost to NEW-1. Wilton over Staples was less surprising though still eye opening, but with a caveat: Aiden Best was back for Staples, but important to note that JP Kosakowski didn't play in goal, and he has been perhaps their MVP so far.
FC_YAK

Post by FC_YAK »

The Darien v Brunswick game was incredible. Bummed Darien couldn't pull it off for the Public Schools...

Was at the Wilton v Staples game and that was the best Wilton has looked by far. They weren't sloppy like the NC game and having their attack back made a HUGE difference. The unforced turnovers against NC were literal throwing and catching errors by the attack...it was tough to watch.

I was expecting a little more from Staples. Wilton got out in front and it never really got close enough to be scary. The wilton goalie definitely outplayed the Staples goalie - in fact, I think the early goals rattled the Staples goalie.

I still think the league is Darien and then the regular cast of characters in Ridgefield, NC, Staples, Greenwich, WIlton in some order and frankly I think any of those games are toss-ups.

Fun to be outside and watching games!
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

Ludlowe up at half 7-3 against Wilton. From what of the game I’ve caught Wilton FO seems to have the advantage. But when it comes to O/D Ludlowe is in control. Hard fought game so far, fun to watch. Plenty of game left to play, this one definitely isn’t over.
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

How quickly momentum shifts. Ludlowe up 8-7 with a few minutes left in the third. While Ludlowe now has the FO advantage, they no longer have the O/D advantage. Nice comeback by the Warriors so far.
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

11-10 Wilton. What a nail bitter. Gotta hand it to the Warriors for coming back strong in the second half. Took it right down to the wire. Great game!
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

Interesting couple days.

Fairfield Ludlowe fell in another game where they were leading by a good margin until the final quarter against Staples. It must be maddening to lead all these teams and not come out with atleast one upset win, but they have played very well and were much more competitive against Wilton, Staples, and New Canaan than expected.

Ridgefield losing Kai Prohaszka seems to have been a big blow. They have had trouble with faceoffs throughout the season but without him to atleast help stop the bleeding it seems to have become an even larger problem that could become insurmountable against better teams. The tigers have some star power but the depth that was needed to fill in some question marks has been lacking at times and seems to be a big reason why they havent been as successful as expected.

Darien has separated themselves again but they've been within a reasonable striking distance in some games. But after Darien 2-6 in the FCIAC (and Prep) has been a tossup against each other. Almost everyone has had some injuries but it seems like anyone can beat anyone in this group on any given day. So far its been a good season that has been difficult to correctly predict. Playoffs should be fun.
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

FCIAC tournament predictions

Darien vs. Trumbull - The wave should make easy work of Trumbull. Not much speculation needed. 18-4 Darien

Staples vs. Fairfield Ludlowe - Ludlowe has surprised a few teams this year by coming very close to a few upsets with favored teams finding a way to escape by the skin on their teeth. I think Staples comes more prepared for this matchup then there regular season game and wins with relative ease. 14-8 Staples

New Canaan vs. Wilton - New Canaans best performance of the year came recently in a "good loss" to Darien where they pushed the Blue Wave harder than any other FCIAC team has this season. But I think Wilton should win this one in a close matchup. Wilton was missing a significant portion of their offensive players when they played NC earlier in the season and it showed in their offensive performance. A lot of unforced turnovers and wasted opportunities lead to a 4 goal output that only included one second half goal. Despite that, their defense still played well. I also think the teams that come in with having lost a close game earlier in the season typically have a mental edge in a rematch in the same season largely due to the fact that high school kids can easily overlook an opponent and not come out of the gates with the intensity that is necessary, naturally the team that won the earlier matchup is much more susceptible to this pitfall.
9-7 Wilton

Ridgefield vs. Greenwich - This is an interesting matchup, Greenwich has been better than most expected and Ridgefield has been suffering a down period since they lost Kai Prohaszka to injury. I'm not sure if Prohaszka has returned or will return from injury for this game but either way it will obviously have a major impact. If he is healthy I would predict Ridgefield wins 13-7, but if he is not I think the game is more competitive but Ridgefield still slips by with a 12-11 win. Similar to the NC vs. Wilton game I think Ridgefield will come out with a bit of an edge since they lost the regular season matchup where they may have been guilty of overlooking the Cardinals.
Last edited by fritz44 on Mon May 24, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlingtheRock7

Post by SlingtheRock7 »

FCIAC Tournament time! All 4 1st round games are being played today with some very interesting matchups. This year's tournament is unique in that coaches actually voted on the seeding for the 8 teams. The 1st seed was obvious, 2/3 make sense, and 7/8 were easy, some debate could be had for how 4-6 ended up. I anticipate every game outside of the 1v8 matchup being hard-fought and contested.

#1 Darien vs. #8 Trumbull
Predicted Score: A lot to a little

There is no way Darien loses this game. This team really has no weak spots outside of what I would say is just good, not great face-off play from Cummiskey. Against the better FOGO’s in the league (Dodge at Staples, Shin at New Canaan and Klyver at Ludlowe) he hasn’t been dominant. Shin dominated the 2nd half face-off’s against him last week, which contributed to allowing NC back in it. Dodge’s ability to get wins kept Staples in their game with Darien and Klyver went 52% against him, not that Ludlowe made it a game. The only teams that have a shot to take them out in my opinion are Staples, New Canaan, and potentially Wilton.

Trumbull has finished the season relatively strong but really only made it into the tournament as a result of being in the easier FCIAC West division. Their defense is still subpar and their face-off play has been below average. If you shut down attackman Julian Kammerman and middy Shea Grant this team won’t be able to score.

#2 Staples vs. #7 Ludlowe
Predicted Score: Staples 10 Ludlowe 8

Staples enters the FCIAC tournament riding a 7 game win streak that contains quality wins over Ludlowe, Ridgefield, St. Joe’s, and New Canaan. What’s interesting to point out is that all 4 of those games were close, with the largest margin of victory being 3 goals (NC and Ludlowe). Good teams win close games and Staples has proven that they can turn up when it gets into crunch time. The return of Kosakowski in the cage has been a major boost for them and along with face-offs, made the major difference against New Canaan on Saturday. If Dodge is dominant at the X Staples will control, or be in every game. They’ve got a well-rounded offense led by Best and the defense is one of the top 3 units in the conference.

I do think Ludlowe matches up very well with Staples. Ludlowe played Wilton, Staples and Ridgefield very close and had very, very good chances to win all 3 games. They were surprisingly killed by Greenwich and then had an expected loss to Darien (16-9 doesn’t reflect how truly lopsided this game was). However, they rebounded with a very solid win over Warde to lock up the 7 seed in FCIAC’s on Saturday. Ludlowe has in my opinion the 2nd best FOGO in the conference behind Dodge. When they played a few weeks back face-offs were very close to 50/50, mitigating the traditional Staples possession advantage. They have an athletic and physical defense that matches up well with Staples’ personnel and have 2 stud junior midfielders, Liam Keeser and Colin McCarthy, that seriously can score. The issue with this team is depth. I’ve seen them play a number of times this season and the team legitimately has under 25 varsity players on the roster. Hotter weather won’t be kind to these kids and I question their ability to play a full 4 quarters with teams that are 2-3 lines of midfielders deep. (Makes me wonder how good a Ludlowe/Warde team would be if they combined as they do for hockey!)

That being said, I believe Monday night’s game will be close. 5:30 PM game with mid 60’s temperature-wise should allow Ludlowe’s limited legs to keep running late into the game. I think Staples pulls it out, but Ludlowe will raise a few more eyebrows in regards to their competitiveness/grit.

#3 New Canaan vs. #6 Wilton
Predicted Score: New Canaan 12 Wilton 9

This is a tough one to predict and will really come down to who comes out with more energy and executes at a higher efficiency. These two met at the beginning of the season in a 6-4 New Canaan win. Didn’t get a chance to watch that game but remember Fritz mentioning Wilton wasn’t 100% health-wise.

Wilton is another pretty well-rounded team with solid D/Goalie play and a number of very offensively talented individuals. What I believe is most dangerous about this Wilton team is their ability to play in transition. Masterson, the Rath brothers, and a few other O-mids are very capable of playing both ways. This presents a lot of solid opportunities to push in transition and catch teams in the sub-game or trap opposing O-mids on D. Masterson leads a solid attack unit who can all score from deep, while Spencer Liston has been a very impressive surprise facing off.

The loss to Staples was a step back but great goalie play from Kosakoswki kept a number of goals off the board for New Canaan. I think this team was really starting to find its stride prior to the loss. Even still, I think they're starting to put things together and are playing great lacrosse at the right time. What’s been key is a more diversified offensive approach as teams key in on guarding, or even locking of Canet and Caione. The two guys that need to step up for FCIAC’s/State’s are attackman Callum Wood and Harrison Apelt. The Tufts and Williams commits will determine how far this team goes. Wood strikes me as a bit more of a finisher/off-ball player, not a primary initiator but has shown he can beat defenders. Apelt is much more of a lower-the-shoulder and battle for top-side dodger. These two need to be able to draw slides/beat their men in order to challenge Darien and Staples. Shin has been somewhat streaky at the X, at times playing great but also is susceptible to being worked. D/goalie plays have looked good enough.

My gut is just telling me that a New Canaan team playing at home and coming off a loss will pull this one out.

#4 Greenwich vs. #5 Ridgefield
Predicted Score: Greenwich 11 Ridgefield 10

Another anticipated close game that will come down to the Greenwich offensive shooters vs the Ridgefield zone. Greenwich pulled out a 15-13 win in the previous matchup.

Kai Prohaszka was a devastating loss for Ridgefield. He was an anchor on D and really helped to minimize the face-off disadvantage this team has. His absence has led to a significant adjustment for Ridgefield, increased usage of their 'Point' zone after previously running a lot more man-to-man earlier in the year. The obvious guess is the disappearance of their top cover guy led to the schematic change. Ryan Colsey has also clearly not been close to 100%, taking much more of an off-ball role. His younger brother has been extremely impressive this year. The quick and shifty lefty has been the team’s primary initiator and can shoot from anywhere. Face-offs is this team’s glaring flaw though. They’ve often been using D-mids to just go muck it up the X and try and cause 50/50 ground ball battles. If Ryan Colsey and Prohaszka were 100% healthy I think this season goes differently for Ridgefield and they pull out wins in 1 to 3 of their 5 losses to very good teams.

I still haven’t managed to see a ton of Greenwich this year but Coach Lutz should really be credited for a great season after a dismal 2019 campaign. Greenwich has some very good defenders and a lot of size on O. This is particularly the case for the 6’3 230lbs Army Football commit Will Montesi, who is rivaled only by Jack Mckenna for the largest talented player in the FCIAC. Their face-off play has been solid and they have a number of dangerous shooters/dodgers. The unit has a great combo of size, speed, and shooting.

My prediction comes down to thinking that Greenwich will have an advantage at the face-off X and my belief that they have the offensive skill/shooters to break Ridgefield’s zone.
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

NC & Wilton 3-3 at half. Both teams have been very sloppy on offense. So far there has been more turnovers and absent minded mistakes from both teams than in the first game. But both goalies and defenses are playing well.
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

Wilton barely survives 8-7 in double overtime. Both teams cleaned it up in the second half. There was some bizarre officiating in the last couple minutes of regulation that caused a couple changes of possession that no one really seemed to understand what the calls were for.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

SlingtheRock7 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:49 pm #1 Darien vs. #8 Trumbull
Predicted Score: A lot to a little
Correct...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

#2 Staples vs. #7 Ludlowe
#3 New Canaan vs. #6 Wilton
#4 Greenwich vs. #5 Ridgefield
I don't agree with these rankings. The way they set-up the games, the match-ups are actually:

#3 Staples vs. #7 Ludlowe
#4 New Canaan vs. #2 Wilton
#6 Greenwich vs. #5 Ridgefield
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
random observer

Post by random observer »

I tend to agree. I think the coaches screwed up the seeding. Staples/Wilton/NC should have been 2-3-4 depending on how you want to stack it. Greenwich at 4 made no sense at all; they should have been the six.

I've been really impressed with Pearsall so far in his tenure at Wilton; the Warriors have a very solid lineup, but I'm not sure you'd look at it and highlight star power on the level of some of the other FCIAC top dogs. But they play great team ball and their resume stacks up with anybody not named Darien this year. Feel bad for NC as they were screwed by the poor seeding in having to play at worst the 4th best team in the league in round 1; they were also playing without Tommy Augustine who I think has been their best initiator at attack. Hope he's back for states, as if history tells us anything there's likely to be a round 3 with Wilton on the offering.

Surprised by how low scoring the Ridgefield/Greenwich game was with how porous the Tiger defense has been lately; is Prohaszka back?

Ludlowe put up a good fight again, but Staples pulled away. I think, with Kosakowski back in net, they are the second best team in the state (only Darien has beaten them when he was in the lineup, and it was a very competitive game).

As for Darien, it looks like they are now down not just Matheis, but also Moore. Not sure how serious it is, but if they continue to play without arguably their top attackman (although at this point I'd personally say that Minicus is the #1) and top middie, that makes the road a lot tougher especially when going up against some of these teams a third or fourth time.
SlingtheRock7

Post by SlingtheRock7 »

My predictions certainly didn't pan out as I expected, can at least find some solace in getting the extremely tough Darien vs. Trumbull game right!

Not overly surprised with the NC/Wilton result, thought New Canaan would edge it out but lots of credit to Wilton. For those who haven't seen it go check out GameTImeCT Twitter and scroll down for Masterson's 2OT winner, an absolutely incredible shot to win that game. Anyone watch the Greenwich vs. Ridgefield game? Was way off on that one and am also surprised with how low-scoring Greenwich was. 8-2 doesn't sound very competitive at all. Ludlowe was close for a while and kept it a 1-3 goal game up until the final 5 to 6 minutes when Staples pulled away due to Ludlowe pressing out to try and get the ball back. Dodge dominated Klyver at the X (probably 65%+) and their offense looked great, particularly their midfielders.

The seeding was definitely strange this year. I can understand the need to initially implement a voting system with there being uncertainty around teams being able to get all their games in. However, once it became clear that teams would play most, if not all, of their games this could've been changed. Greenwich is particularly odd as the 4 seed. Maybe some of their losses didn't count towards ranking (I know each team only has 10-11 games that actually count for FCIAC placement)? I do personally think Staples belonged at 2 despite the head-to-head loss vs. Wilton since overall they had 1 less FCIAC loss. 3/4 between NC and Wilton could've gone either way, same with Ridgefield and Greenwich for 5/6 just because of the head-to-head. Regardless, NC and Wilton shouldn't have been playing each other today.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

SlingtheRock7 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:55 pmcheck out GameTImeCT Twitter and scroll down for Masterson's 2OT winner, an absolutely incredible shot to win that game...
https://twitter.com/SPBowley/status/1396965107238903813
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”