Election Reform

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Election Reform

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:35 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:22 pm All voter rolls need to be scrubbed against the USPS change of address data base before ballots are mailed out & again before they are counted.
This should be a standard automated process.

What address did Tom Friedman use to register when he voted in the GA runoff ?

How do you ensure that college students & transient workers, who may have legit addresses in 2 states or jurisdictions, vote in only 1 state or jurisdiction ?
😢 How is that comeback going?
Still awaiting my appointment for mandatory deprogramming camp. Have to attend before I can be given a covid vacc.
Too late. Enjoy the day buddy.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:22 pmHow do you ensure that college students & transient workers, who may have legit addresses in 2 states or jurisdictions, vote in only 1 state or jurisdiction ?
You don't.

But let me know when your party wants to Federalize elections....because that's how you "fix" your latest made-up "problem".
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:50 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:46 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 pm
CU77 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:40 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:22 pm All voter rolls need to be scrubbed against the USPS change of address data base before ballots are mailed out & again before they are counted.
Oh please. The USPS has often screwed up my change of address, and not once have they gotten my stop-delivery order right in the past few decades. Making voting rights dependent on the accuracy of their database is ridiculous.
And yet they were trusted with millions of ballots. Hell, two of my bills I mailed in December have still not arrived. Baztids.
My point exactly. How many states are using the USPS database to scrub their voter rolls ? Apparently come counties in GA were.
None. So now you want the USPS in charge of whether or not you can cast your vote? Great. Let Biden install his toady proxie, and start messing with things.

That cool with you?
https://www.11alive.com/article/news/po ... 83c71865d1
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:56 pm
Oh please. The USPS has often screwed up my change of address, and not once have they gotten my stop-delivery order right in the past few decades. Making voting rights dependent on the accuracy of their database is ridiculous.
And yet they were trusted with millions of ballots. Hell, two of my bills I mailed in December have still not arrived. Baztids.
My point exactly. How many states are using the USPS database to scrub their voter rolls ? Apparently come counties in GA were.
None. So now you want the USPS in charge of whether or not you can cast your vote? Great. Let Biden install his toady proxie, and start messing with things.

That cool with you?
So...no answer? Are you in for Federalizing election standards----things like tying voter rolls to the Federal USPS's data----- or not?
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:51 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:22 pmHow do you ensure that college students & transient workers, who may have legit addresses in 2 states or jurisdictions, vote in only 1 state or jurisdiction ?
You don't.

But let me know when your party wants to Federalize elections....because that's how you "fix" your latest made-up "problem".
https://wgme.com/news/i-team/ask-the-i- ... ting-twice
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:03 pm
You don't.

Right...it's against the law...better not tell your kid or grandkid to do it...
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:07 pm
You don't.

Against the law, with no way to enforce the law & no one taking action to enforce it.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:58 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:56 pm

That cool with you?
So...no answer? Are you in for Federalizing election standards----things like tying voter rolls to the Federal USPS's data----- or not?
I want individual states to prevent your party from nationalizing junk mail voting,...again.
So it's not necessary to depend on the USPS for a fair & accurate election.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:09 pm Against the law, with no way to enforce the law
Sure there is. Take ballots after the election, and get to work. It can be as simple as pulling 1,000 random ballots every election, and tracking down the voter.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:07 pm
You don't.

That’s why Trump lost.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:10 pm I want individual states to prevent your party from nationalizing junk mail voting,...again.
Already done. Our elections aren't "nationalized". You're running out of complaints.

The funniest complaint you have, is that States like mine are running their elections as they see fit. That upsets you.

And, of course, you don't want me deciding how the elections in your State are run----but you have no hesitation in telling me what to do.

A true Republican position, I'll give you that much! ;)
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

That cool with you?
Actually, it's worse than that. The President is not involved in the selection of the PMG. The USPS Board of Governors (all political appointees) is in charge of that and there is a DOPUS-appointed majority for quite some time. Therefore, the sleazeball DOPUS donor DeJoy will remain in the job unless they can somehow get some credible evidence for all of the sleazy stuff he's been doing since he took over so as to prod the BOG to can him.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Like everything else voting related, there's an established best practice. It just has to be implemented and used in a reasonable fashion. Not as a way to gain partisan advantage.

And yes, Salty, same answer as always. You just need to do what Colorado (#1 in the nation for percentage of eligible voters being registered) does and don't screw around in bad faith. Problem solved. Very simple.

https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/electi ... enance.pdf
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:18 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:10 pm I want individual states to prevent your party from nationalizing junk mail voting,...again.
Already done. Our elections aren't "nationalized". You're running out of complaints.

The funniest complaint you have, is that States like mine are running their elections as they see fit. That upsets you.

And, of course, you don't want me deciding how the elections in your State are run----but you have no hesitation in telling me what to do.

A true Republican position, I'll give you that much! ;)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 072333002/
CU77

Post by CU77 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:42 pm And yet they [USPS} were trusted with millions of ballots.
Whose delivery (or not) could be checked by the voter.

It's not a perfect system, but it's far more fraud-proof than claimed by the trumpista party.

If there was significant fraud, it's very easy to find it.

Who voted is public info. Start calling the people whose votes you think were most likely to have been faked, and ask them if they voted or not. If enough say "no" (and will so testify under oath in court), you've got a case.

Trump raised close to half a billion dollars to "stop the steal". If I had been in charge of that program, I would have immediately instituted such a search for fake votes, and made it very high profile, asking for volunteers to help with the effort, in addition to my well-paid hard-working staff.

But what did Trump and minions do with all that money? Seems like they pocketed it.

It's almost as if they somehow knew that actually there weren't very many undiscovered fake votes out there ...
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:16 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:09 pm Against the law, with no way to enforce the law
Sure there is. Take ballots after the election, and get to work. It can be as simple as pulling 1,000 random ballots every election, and tracking down the voter.
What college campus election precincts are doing that ? How do they know which voters are college students from out of state ?
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

It costs $1 to change your address with USPS.

If you're checking against the USPS change of address form, the GOP or Democratic party or a foreign government could potentially spend a hundred grand and "move" a ton of people out of swing districts and states just prior.

More secure to check rolls via DMV license / ID changes if you're so jacked up on scrubbing registration rolls.

Then again no widespread fraud has been found of people voting twice, or dead people voting. And we prosecute the handful who do.
old salt

Post by old salt »

holmes435 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:35 pm More secure to check rolls via DMV license / ID changes if you're so jacked up on scrubbing registration rolls.
Agree, but we don't have the rqmt for universal Real ID in order to vote.

It's voter suppression to make granny or po' folk go to the DMV to get a Real ID.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:29 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:16 pm
What college campus election precincts are doing that ? How do they know which voters are college students from out of state ?
:D just like all sorts of fraud crimes, you only get punished if you get caught...brag to someone else, conspire with someone else...oops, someone grows a conscience...nailed

so, what's the payoff? one vote?
Risking...

Yup, if it happened a lot, people would get nailed...and the news of that would spread rapidly...scaring others off...and if it happened a lot there would be attention to auditing student age voters...to up the risk of getting caught...again, for what, one vote at a time?

so, it's extremely rare, as is most election fraud...except for some efforts at a very local level when a handful of votes can make the difference. This too is rare, but does happen now and then...when caught, throw the book at them and publicize the heck out of it...best deterrent there is...

This is a phony problem made up by those who want to make it harder to vote so that fewer voters will vote...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I believe the crux of the argument is that there are far 'too many' nuances of concern. Occams razor...a state/fed ID, with a requested mail in/early ballot for those w/out one or unable to get to their DMV but are able to purchase their prescriptions, OTC allergy meds, and buy cigs & alcohol. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”