Salisbury 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Salisbury 2020

Post by kramerica.inc »

swf wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:03 pm The 2020 Gull Schedule from 2/29/20 to 3/27/20 looks a bit stiff with USCG, Stevens, OWU, Rhodes, Cortland, Geneseo, Stevenson and Cabrini.

Did Axel book these games while Berkman was on vacation to boost his chances at succession?

Considering the problems at goalie and O middie; Is a Murderer’s Row like this wise?

Any news or updates on the team?
Schedule looks about how it should and how it has for years. There are all levels of teams, including USCG and Rhodes for the young bucks. Some great OOC teams, but not a murderer's row, really in the D3 scheme of things. There should be plenty of meat to get the gulls in if they should fall in the CACs.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

I personally like this year's schedule, but I typically like the strength of schedule the Gulls put together year in and year out. What stands out the most for me with this year's has to be the addition of the out of region games. Typically the Gulls kept the schedule focused on the south region and how that would assist them come tournament seeding. With the additions of Cortland, Stevens & Coast Guard, this seems to buck the trend. Last year SUNY Geneseo was added to the schedule and they remain on for this year, who is coached by Nick Fiorentino '08. Meaning 4 Northern region teams are on the Gulls schedule compared to 0 in '16, '17, and '18, and 1 (Geneseo) last year.

Other notable out of conference games are more of the traditional matchups we have seen over time (Lynchburg, Gettysburg, WAC, OWU, and Stevenson). I love that they kept Cabrini on the schedule, as that game has been a nice battle over the past few years. The two wild cards are Berry (who gave the Gulls a little bit of a scare last year) and Rhodes who impressed in last year's NCAA tournament.

The conference is in shambles, but I wouldn't necessarily call it weak. Compared to the centennial conference and NESCAC? Yes, but 3 of the 7 teams received national rankings during last year's polls and 2 of the 7 teams were the top-ranked teams in their region in addition to holding the top seed nationally at various points of the year. 5 out of the 7 teams finished with winning records. I'll take what is left in the CAC knowing that you'll probably play York and/or CNU twice just on your path on the NCAAs.

The schedule does favor some home cooking though... Out of their 17 regular-season games, 10 are games at Sea Gull Stadium in addition to a game being held at the US Lacrosse stadium in Md.

At the end of the day, this team will once again be battle-tested and looking to make a run for a national championship. I will share my outlook by a position as we get closer to spring ball 8-)
RetiredCardinal

Post by RetiredCardinal »

Greetings Shore!

I'm with you on the OOC schedule - nice to see some new faces that can be competitive instead of cupcakes like Kenyon, Methodist, etc. (nothing against those programs, but not folks that are gonna give this team a run)

I have to think some of this has to do with recruiting - especially with the number of home games and all of the $$ dropped into the East side of 13 at the athletic complex over the last several years. With more D1 programs popping up and kids chasing those D1 dreams on sub-par teams (many of which the Gulls could beat) the flow to the Shore may have slowed a bit. Perhaps exposing the campus/facilities to new sets of eyes in different regions might keep SU in the forefront? Just MHO, but maybe there's something to it. Side note - it's nice to have a Gulls alum at D1 Jacksonville who makes the call to JB when disgruntled MD players realize Jville isn't for them. I believe the Jville-Salisbury Express has netted one in each of the last three years including MIAA star Posner this year.

As for the Berry game, I see this one similar to the history of SU/OWU. The OWU often made the trip to Salisbury and when it was a year for them to be the home team, like in 2014, the game was played at a neutral site in Landon or Bullis in Maryland. This year would be an OWU "home game' yet it will be at a neutral site at USL HQ (probably good after the 2018 debacle at OWU). Good opportunity to showcase both programs in the MIAA hotbed. Meeting Berry half way in Raleigh is a good compromise and, again (I can't see Berkman putting 50+ people on a bus for 14 hours to GA), allows the Gulls to showcase their team in NC which is yet another good recruiting base.

Lastly, I agree the CAC is a wreck. Hope they figure it out. I heard a couple lax dads last season suggesting Montclair St and Stockton might be possible add-ons for CAC. Guess we will see.

Thanksgiving greetings to all!
swf

Post by swf »

I will share my outlook by a position as we get closer to spring ball
Thank you, Shore; looking forward to it from you and Cardinal also.

The @Stevens was a bit of a puzzle for me. Good school, good lax program but surely they would have traveled south to play the Gulls. Is there a reason for the road trip? Is Stevens considering joining the CAC for lax and Berkman wanted to test the road bus trip? Stockton might make more sense from a travel perspective.

IMO a ring in ‘20 will depend on at least above average goalie play and Wongus or one of the other O middies being a “go to” guy like Kylor, Sammy or Cirillo in years past. From what I hear about Maroon & Gold Wongus is on the cusp.
RetiredCardinal

swf wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:17 pm

The @Stevens was a bit of a puzzle for me.
Agree the Stevens game is unusual scenario. Recruiting exposure aside, it's a 4+ hour trip from the Shore on a weekday for a 1pm game? Team would have to leave SU around 8am on a school day. Just seems odd. Curious if that is just a typo.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Roster is up: https://www.suseagulls.com/sports/mlax/2019-20/roster

15 new guys who's numbers haven't been posted. here is some basic info from a quick google search on each one:

Ben Bisquera, M/A Seton Catholic College Prep (WA)
Clayton Burt, A, New Canaan HS (CT( (Syracuse Transfer)
Kamryn Gill, A, Riverhead Senior HS (NY)
Braden Glushakow, M, Bennett HS (MD)
Kenny Lane, D, Jesuit HS (FL)
Riley Myer, G, Cardinal Gibbons (NC)
Luke Nestor, A/M, Bennett HS (MD)
Jared Papke, LSM, Weddington HS (NC)
Van Parker, A, Needham Broughton HS (NC) (Originally committed to Air Force)
Colin Phipps, A, Southern HS (MD) (Originally committed to UMBC)
Luke Piroli, A, Carthage HS (NY)
Logan Posner, A, St. Pauls (MD) (Transfer from Jacksonville/Monmouth)
Zachary Timmons, D John Jay HS (NY)
Ricky Tubman, M, Kent Island HS (MD)
Quinton Young, D/DM, St Johns (DC)

Seems like a standard, very good group coming in at salisbury.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Gulls always reload, this time with 4 D1 transfers , including a Cuse player who I don’t believe ever played there. With the current roster anyone have a close estimate as to how many came in as freshmen compared to those who transferred in. Salisbury sometimes gets compared to being a weaker D1 program . I’d agree that they could probably get to a ranking of about 40th or lower ( as in 40-70) in some years. I have a feeling we shall see them once again very late in May this year .
overandback

Post by overandback »

boredatwork wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:12 pm Roster is up: https://www.suseagulls.com/sports/mlax/2019-20/roster

15 new guys who's numbers haven't been posted. here is some basic info from a quick google search on each one:

Ben Bisquera, M/A Seton Catholic College Prep (WA)
Clayton Burt, A, New Canaan HS (CT( (Syracuse Transfer)
Kamryn Gill, A, Riverhead Senior HS (NY)
Braden Glushakow, M, Bennett HS (MD)
Kenny Lane, D, Jesuit HS (FL)
Riley Myer, G, Cardinal Gibbons (NC)
Luke Nestor, A/M, Bennett HS (MD)
Jared Papke, LSM, Weddington HS (NC)
Van Parker, A, Needham Broughton HS (NC) (Originally committed to Air Force)
Colin Phipps, A, Southern HS (MD) (Originally committed to UMBC)
Luke Piroli, A, Carthage HS (NY)
Logan Posner, A, St. Pauls (MD) (Transfer from Jacksonville/Monmouth)
Zachary Timmons, D John Jay HS (NY)
Ricky Tubman, M, Kent Island HS (MD)
Quinton Young, D/DM, St Johns (DC)

Seems like a standard, very good group coming in at salisbury.
Where’s Moroney?
swf

Post by swf »

Back in October on this thread there was mention of a possible transfer goalie (Marquette?). Did he register for classes?
RetiredCardinal

Moroney is back and will likely press Armstrong for 3rd attack with Melton & Ferrara.

Burt's name hit this forum in 2019 but never made team. Forum post from last yr mentioned he was R/S at Cuse in 2017. That's a lot of time on the wrong side of those white lines. Also, I think he plays attack which means limited reps behind the four guys mentioned above. Might wanna curb the enthusiasm on this one a bit.

Posner only played in six games in J'ville scoring 4G. Not sure he's an immediate impact but might get some run on 2nd/3rd Mids.

Not sure what to make of Marquette GK xfer. Only played like 4mins as a Fresh. Golden Eagles are an average D1 squad - odd that he didn't get more run if solid. Lotta GKs in this group. Does Berkman keep five GKs?
swf

Post by swf »

Cardinal, Thank you for the post.
Lotta GKs in this group. Does Berkman keep five GKs?
I count only 4; Warren, Ellis, Dabbs and Myer - 3 Seniors and a freshman. Wasn't Dabbs listed as a Senior last year?
RetiredCardinal

swf wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:22 am Cardinal, Thank you for the post.
I count only 4; Warren, Ellis, Dabbs and Myer - 3 Seniors and a freshman. Wasn't Dabbs listed as a Senior last year?
SWF - the four you have are on target. The fifth is the Marquette xfer (Carver Skarnulis - I think)

Not sure on Dabbs. Maybe he was a senior academically and had more eligibility?? Grad school?!
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

RetiredCardinal wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:36 pm
swf wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:22 am Cardinal, Thank you for the post.
SWF - the four you have are on target. The fifth is the Marquette xfer (Carver Skarnulis - I think)

Not sure on Dabbs. Maybe he was a senior academically and had more eligibility?? Grad school?!
Here's a link on Skarnulius.
https://peacereportlax.blog/2019/10/31/ ... salisbury/
Interested to see if he earns a jersey this year or if we see him on the roster next year (similar to Clayton Burt).

Regarding Dabbs, he was listed as a freshman on the 2017 roster... my guess would be that his class status reflects his credit count and not his athletic eligibility.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Roster is starting to form... (updated with #s and cuts)

https://suseagulls.com/sports/mlax/2019 ... ort=number

As many in the forum know, the Gulls typically have tryouts in the fall and cut in periods leading up to the first spring scrimmage. Earning your spot on the team means earning your #. Not sure who it is this year. In year's past, it's ranged from VMI, St. Joseph's & of course... Duke...

A few things that caught my attention...
-Welcome back Griffin Moroney & TJ Logue - these returners will only add depth to positions that are already deep
- Goalie TJ Ellis is currently not on the roster, but his # is still available - there are only 3 goalies on the current roster. Coach usually keeps at least 4.
- Clayton Burt - once again was originally listed and now not given a #. Curious to hear from those who might know more...
- Right now.. only 4 freshmen on the team.

There may be a few changes, but it appears a good amount of Gulls have earned their #s
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

ShoreThingMD wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:06 pm -Welcome back Griffin Moroney & TJ Logue - these returners will only add depth to positions that are already deep
Greetings Shore - Definitely will be good to have Moroney & TJ back - I always admire the athletes who put the work in and make it back after difficult injuries- One other we should welcomed back is '19 starting close d-man Noah Kness who was lost in the 9th game last year. Kness proved to be solid during those 9 games, and Kness's return will allow Murphy to return and head up a great group of LSM's - With scheduled & potential match-ups against teams with top level midfielders, it will be good to see Murphy in the mix again.

I hear Ellis is still playing but hasn't technically made the team yet.

From what I hear, the 1st line midfielders are playing very well, which was music to my ears. I think the 2nd line still getting sorted out. No information, but my gut tells me Dembech & Harbottle will likely be accompanied by the yest unknown. I've heard really good things about a couple incoming attack who have legit skill. Wondering if either may be a good fit.

I'm very excited for this year's team - It will take a little to get the offense in top gear, but I challenge anyone to to name a coaching staff that consistently improves at a better clip from the first game to the final product.

Best of luck boys & GO GULLS !!!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

The Gulls have not won the title in two years. You have to go back to 1999 which was the last time it took over 3 years for them to win back the title again. The only more dominant team might be the New England Patriots 😂
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

COGULL wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:28 pm
ShoreThingMD wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:06 pm -Welcome back Griffin Moroney & TJ Logue - these returners will only add depth to positions that are already deep
Greetings Shore - Definitely will be good to have Moroney & TJ back - I always admire the athletes who put the work in and make it back after difficult injuries- One other we should welcomed back is '19 starting close d-man Noah Kness who was lost in the 9th game last year. Kness proved to be solid during those 9 games, and Kness's return will allow Murphy to return and head up a great group of LSM's - With scheduled & potential match-ups against teams with top level midfielders, it will be good to see Murphy in the mix again.

I hear Ellis is still playing but hasn't technically made the team yet.

From what I hear, the 1st line midfielders are playing very well, which was music to my ears. I think the 2nd line still getting sorted out. No information, but my gut tells me Dembech & Harbottle will likely be accompanied by the yest unknown. I've heard really good things about a couple incoming attack who have legit skill. Wondering if either may be a good fit.

I'm very excited for this year's team - It will take a little to get the offense in top gear, but I challenge anyone to to name a coaching staff that consistently improves at a better clip from the first game to the final product.

Best of luck boys & GO GULLS !!!
CO - great to hear from you! Oh trust me, I didn't forget about Kness, I was just listing guys who weren't on last year's roster. Kness really sarted to come to form as a shutdown guy when he was healthy. Was tough to see him go down.

So let me take a shot at what I see shaping up for the Gulls...

Defense:
The entire group is incredibly talented and deep.

LSM: If Murphy moves back to LSM, this might be the deepest LSM group in the entire country. Both Woodward and O'Callaghan showed that they are worthy of reps and are no means liabilities out there. I also love that they are juniors...

Close: Apgar, Bork, and Kness will start down low and should be reliable as ever. However, I could see Murphy starting down low if they need to ease Kness back in. My expectations for this group are extremely high and should be ready to bounce back after a sub-par showing against Cabrini.

SSDM: Another area that I EXPECTED to be deep... however like Ellis, Riley Ford is not on the current roster and his # is still available. My hope is that he is still in the mix down there. Greik and Ford were/are a very athletic, aggressive, and physical duo. Saulino impressed last year and is very athletic. They obviously trust him as he earned reps as a freshman. My hope is that they incorporate him a little bit on offense if Ford is back.

Midfield: Like almost every year, the Gulls come in with a good idea of that 1st line, but the next line is probably a toss-up between 8 different guys. Regardless of the line, with what comes back from the attack, the gameplan should be hard dodges and drawing a slide and finding the open attackman who all have a good history of finishing. Winning those 1 on 1 battles from the midfield will be key. I think what you'll see happen is after drawing a slide and creating a few layup/dunk opportunities for the attack, those teams will be forced to hold longer than they wish and creating shooting opportunities for the midfield. With all that being said, I really liked what I saw from Harbottle last year. I think he is a guy that can generate some opportunities. Dembeck came on late last year and showed why some of those flashes from his time at Jax. I think Saulino can also be a matchup issue for teams if he gets some offensive reps this year. This Van Parker (former Air force commit) is listed as attack/midfield, so I could see him getting reps on one of the top 2 lines. Finally, there is Wongus and Bromwell. Both have incredible talent and really have shown some brilliance, but can they be THE GUYS? In my opinion and probably by theirs too, both had a down year last year... This year, there is no Pompea, Gwin, Reynolds ('18). They will have to dodge hard and with their heads up, and be responsible with the ball. Both can shoot, especially Bromwell when he has time and room and can plant his feet, as seen on man-up, but I am looking for both to make the next step in the progression. I'm optimistic. Final thought... who potentially slides down from attack to help out?

Attack: Outside of LSM, this attack unit is probably the deepest in all of D3 lacrosse. Armstrong, Melton, and Ferrara all return. That alone is exciting, but add Moroney to the mix and you have all sorts of good problems. As mentioned in the midfield review, Dembeck really came on late last year. I saw flahses of what could possibly be a good future for him on the shore. Whether that is at midfield or attack (this year) is TBD. Another guy who impressed was Sanchez. Sanchez's stats don't exactly wow you, but he's talented and only a sophomore. Similar to Dembeck, he could see time at midfield. I really like his first step and hustle. I know I mentioned that the midfield needs to start with drawing slides and while I believe that, this group is also talented enough to take a game over. With Melton at QB, i think we are in great hands.

Face-Off: Have you heard this before? This group is deep... Malamphy returns and Logue is back, but let's not forget Sweeney. As a freshman, Sweeney saw action in 21 games and went 88-132 (66%). He did more than just provide Malamphy with the occasional breather. For those that do not remember, Logue is no slouch. Before his injury, he went 177-311 and was a dynamic 1-2 bunch with both Malamphy and Duncan Campbell (prior to Malamphy). Glad to have him back! This depth is not only good for potential injuries but being able to throw out different guys if one doesn't have it going.

Goalie: Last, but not least... Warren and Dabbs return. As mentioned Ellis is there, but has not earned his spot yet. The new freshman to the group is Riley Myer. So the question at hand is... who is it coming down to that 4th spot? Brady Emmi (freshman) was on the roster last year. Rumor was there was another freshman last year who was in that group who was from a local school is played well in fall ball, but got injured and did not make the team. I've seen rumors about the Marquette kid, but if he is there, he hasn't earned his keep yet either. I think one thing people overlook, Salisbury typically gets a few D1 transfers, but that doesn't mean they all make the team. As for who is already there, Warren will take the lead, but I hope to see less of the jekyll and hyde scenario. The standard for good goalkeepers down on the shore has been making the saves you should make and a few that you shouldn't. With what is in front of him, I expect to see offenses force a few shots, but given the aggressive style of play, he will have a few that land a guy on his door-step. What can't happen giving up those shots from 15+ yards out and poor clearing, both of which happened more than I would have hoped last year. Whoever steps between the pipes needs to show confidence and composure. I thought/hoped that would be Warren last year, but we shall see.

As I may have mentioned before, the schedule is both competitive and intriguing. Should be a fun year and I think the Gulls have enough talent to win #13
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Tucker Spencer

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

and spencer decommitted from salisbury. :) going to jacksonville...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”