Brown 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
InDeoSperamus

Re: Brown 2019

Post by InDeoSperamus »

Seemed like the Gaudet penalty was going to be the play that changed the game after the Bears scored 2 quick goals to start the 4th. Unfortunately, in the next 6-7 minutes, the Bears didn't capitalize on some good opportunities and made some mental errors costing them possessions. Could have easily been a 1 goal game midway through the 4th. TD is the real deal and makes a huge difference. He may be the best player in college lacrosse given how he can impact a game. Still a good effort against another strong opponent. Hopefully, the Bears can run the table from here on out and get another crack at the Elis in the ILT. You gotta believe!!!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Have I missed it in previous games, or is the Grell invert strategy new? Offense went directly to it 3, 4 times vs Yale.
Does Brown recruit for ssdm? Stewart, Romm (left school) seem to be, but otherwise it looks like 'athletes we hope can polish their offensive game by junior year'. Last year and this, Bears have had starting senior ssdms who came in as attack/mid freshmen. Good to have senior leadership on the field, and I'm sure the guys work their arses off, but are they likely to be good dmids? Yesterday M Brown played ssdm and a freshman took his place at close D. Injury reasons, or an admission some regular ssdms weren't trusted? Recruiting like this seems to imply the position isn't a priority to winning, and I do not think that is correct.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Lars had a number of SSDMs who progressed from starting as a freshmen SSDM to working into the offense as juniors, with the object being putting your best athletes on the field at all times. It is less usual to see the reverse but I suspect the same principle is at work - it you are one of the best athletes and you can't got on the field as an offensive player, then let's use your talents elsewhere.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

bearlaxfan - I noticed the Grell invert. Seems to work well, he's a big strong kid with a wicked shot. I like to see him out front, but he's probably even scarier stepping down from a bit above GLE! :-) I always confuse Grell and Aughavin, that's a scary duo.

Kniffen really stepped up as well. He's always scared me a bit with his air-mail passes, but he's a good player for sure.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

middleAgedBear wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:16 pm
Kniffen really stepped up as well. He's always scared me a bit with his air-mail passes, but he's a good player for sure.
I like his game too. He's a junior, so it's a bit late, but he should've been on a gallon/day diet of muscle milk since he got on campus. He could use a bit more oomph to go with the zip.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Nice win at PC. Defense looks much better than early in the year. 42 now draws longstick and very quick slides, so he has to up his game accordingly. 50/50 GBs were good vs PC, but still not a team strength over the season. The 2-headed fo monster isn't a worldbeater, but when the do get open field they're decent offensive middies; good field vision and usually make good decisions with the ball.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Big win by McShea with about a minute left and the Bears a man down.
I wish the wing middies would cut through more rather than standing in space leaving an easy back-up when the center middie dodges. Movement without the ball creates better opportunities. The offense also picks up better opportunities when the ball moves back and forth from the midfield to the attack. Slides are harder because the defense has to rotate their vision 180 degrees rather than 45 degrees.
Team is showing improvement and the d seems comfortable morphing from man to zone and back.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

Defense definitely taking shape—Goss had 17 saves but a handful of those were cupcakes late in the shot clock due to good defense. Geppert is going to be good.
It will take a huge effort to slow down Cornell’s offense and the O will need to bury some of the open shots they see against the Cornell keeper who is strong. Love Cook’s game and his confidence as a Freshmen, but he needs to stay out of the penalty box. Leading the team in minutes by a comfortable margin.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Sting The Corner wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 am Love Cook’s game and his confidence as a Freshmen, but he needs to stay out of the penalty box. Leading the team in minutes by a comfortable margin.

Can't remember if he was in the alumni game, but maybe he's channeling Yozzo-S's game. :P Has the heart but not the bulk...
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

Some rambling thoughts:

Cook has been terrific. I’m excited to see how he matures. We could have a lethal attack next season with McCaleb, Kniffin, Grell, Aughavin and Cook all returning. Nice mix of upperclassmen and youth there.

There were many glimpses of what the future may hold against Yale and Providence this week. Hoping we can finish strong; 2-1 is perfectly reasonable, and 3-0 is doable. If we’re going to drop a game, I’d prefer it to be against Bryant.

Big one on Saturday. Can we hold Teat, Piatelli and Petterson in check and force Cornell to attack through their middies? If so, I think we win, and possibly by a handful. If not? We’ll have a very long, unpleasant afternoon. Hoping the rain flips the field in our favor, since we’re accustomed to turnovers and chaos.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

J.S. Carberry wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:13 pm Some rambling thoughts:

Cook has been terrific. I’m excited to see how he matures. We could have a lethal attack next season with McCaleb, Kniffin, Grell, Aughavin and Cook all returning. Nice mix of upperclassmen and youth there.

There were many glimpses of what the future may hold against Yale and Providence this week. Hoping we can finish strong; 2-1 is perfectly reasonable, and 3-0 is doable. If we’re going to drop a game, I’d prefer it to be against Bryant.

Big one on Saturday. Can we hold Teat, Piatelli and Petterson in check and force Cornell to attack through their middies? If so, I think we win, and possibly by a handful. If not? We’ll have a very long, unpleasant afternoon. Hoping the rain flips the field in our favor, since we’re accustomed to turnovers and chaos.
Having watched a few Brown games this year, Aughavin is the best middie at Brown since Caputo. He snuck under the radar but I identified him as the alpha middie very early in the season. He reminds me of Max Siebald.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:46 pm
Having watched a few Brown games this year, Aughavin is the best middie at Brown since Caputo. He snuck under the radar but I identified him as the alpha middie very early in the season. He reminds me of Max Siebald.

Whoa! We'll take that career arc!!! But let's take a breath...
Sting The Corner

I’m on board with Typical Lax Dad here. Looking purely at production both Grell and Aughavin are on pace for better seasons than Caputo ever had. Obviously a long way to go and would need to do it for two more seasons, but we should appreciate two sophomores on the same line putting together the type of season they have. Future is bright.
bearlaxfan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:47 am [quote="Typical Lax Dad" post_id=42091 time=<a href="tel:1555526816">1555526816</a> user_id=269]

[/quote]
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:47 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:46 pm

I said he reminds me of Siebald, not that he is the next Siebald. Good player.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Well thank goodness he doesn't remind anyone of Seibald.
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

I’d say this is the worst game of the year, but I’ve missed a couple stinkers. At least it’s not raining!
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

Not sure what happened with that bench skirmish, 45 on Cornell was subdued by his coach screaming “I’LL F****** KILL YOU” to an unidentified Brown player.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

And Cornell's 51 gets a 1-min nonreleasable unsportsmanlike ...
J.S. Carberry

Post by J.S. Carberry »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:18 pm And Cornell's 51 gets a 1-min nonreleasable unsportsmanlike ...
Any clue what happened? The tent was blocking my view of the incident.
Sting The Corner

2019 squad just can’t seem to put 4 good quarters together. When a Top 10 team comes to town you’re not going to win if you sleep walk through the 1st half.
Cornell looked solid though nice W. They have plenty of weapons and the goalie had a good game. Piatelli looks much improved this year.
All around bad shooting day for Brown. No problem with Aughavin taking 14 shots but would like some more to drop. McCaleb had a rough one. Geppert very solid on Teat. Now need some help and a W against Dartmouth for the ILT.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”