UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: UNC 2024

Post by Finster »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:48 am Anytime a head coach fires assistants out of self preservation, you know the end is near. Metz wasn’t the problem.

Got that three year extension last year.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Finster wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:25 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:48 am Anytime a head coach fires assistants out of self preservation, you know the end is near. Metz wasn’t the problem.

Got that three year extension last year.
Which is shorter than the standard extension. I think they recognize that he has a young team and so will give it another year or two, but if they miss the tourney this year and next, I doubt he'll get to finish that 3-year contract out.

Interestingly enough, if the UNC job opens up in the next couple of years, I bet the coach on the other sideline last night would be a serious candidate.
thegman

Post by thegman »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:13 am It seems like the offense lacks balance. What always alarms me is the lack of crease play. They need more of what Syracuse does. UNC plays such a fundamental non fundamental way lol. No looks to crease, no creativity, no re-dodging, minimal cuts, etc. just pure dodging and moving and shooting. It won’t work.

Egan should have done what Mule did at Cuse and reinvent himself as this crease attack man, slight dodging threat, etc. even if it’s at middie.

Duffy is legit. McGovern too. But can’t speak for why the rest can’t get going. Think it’s the O identity tbh. Too much talent not to be. Watching the highlights last night.c everyone is just standing around watching Duffy. Looks like a hs team.

Brutal to watch last night as a fan. Versus Hop/Princeton, the game is moving too fast for our talented young guys but good to see Duffy getting some confidence.

Agree with your take on the Heels offense, not much structure/strategy and that the 'Cuse vs Army strategy of going 1-4-1 when D is hung up would be worth a shot. No downside to what we've seen so far
molo

Post by molo »

The coaches have come in for their share of criticism, but this roster is not as talented as those of the rest of the ACC. They have a couple of good FOGOs but are thin in the defensive midfield. They have one budding star on offense and a sharpshooter who spends too much time on the bench. The remaining attackmen and offensive middies look pedestrian so far. Who starts in goal tomorrow?
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

molo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:48 am The coaches have come in for their share of criticism, but this roster is not as talented as those of the rest of the ACC. They have a couple of good FOGOs but are thin in the defensive midfield. They have one budding star on offense and a sharpshooter who spends too much time on the bench. The remaining attackmen and offensive middies look pedestrian so far. Who starts in goal tomorrow?
Who brought in the roster? Just sayin. Breschi is a great dude, but I really think it has run its course.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:37 pm
molo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:48 am The coaches have come in for their share of criticism, but this roster is not as talented as those of the rest of the ACC. They have a couple of good FOGOs but are thin in the defensive midfield. They have one budding star on offense and a sharpshooter who spends too much time on the bench. The remaining attackmen and offensive middies look pedestrian so far. Who starts in goal tomorrow?
Who brought in the roster? Just sayin. Breschi is a great dude, but I really think it has run its course.
Had number 1 recruit in 23, number 2 recruit in 22, he has plenty of five stars too. Talent is definitely not the issue.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

I don't want to sound the alarm too early on this season as the Heels are adjusting to new offensive and defensive schemes from Thompson and Petro while adding underclassmen to the mix in key rolls but the product didn't look good last night. A breakout first half for Duffy devolved to travel team hero ball for the offense as a whole. Too many early in the clock one shot possessions and a lot of standing around watching one guy try to beat his man and take it to the cage. Tillman's play continues to be uninspired and puzzling. Sloppy possessions and mental lapses resulting in penalties didn't help. The D didn't adjust to slide quickly to Kabiri once he started sniping on the wing. I was somewhat surprised to see Krieg get the hook at the half as many of the goals he yielded weren't necessarily his fault but Goode acquitted himself well. A quick turn to face a Penn team that's riding high could lead to going 0 for the weekend. Let's hope the coaches can make some adjustments to prevent that.
Finish Strong
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

They could use a Canadian like Clouttier tbh
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

It’s crazy to me Petro is a midfielder. He looks like a classic left sniper at the left side but not a strong enough dodger downhill to excel at midfield.

I’d roll with Duffy, Logan, and Petro at attack. Left to lefty should help Petro and Duffy working the wing.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:41 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:37 pm
Had number 1 recruit in 23, number 2 recruit in 22, he has plenty of five stars too. Talent is definitely not the issue.
The talent is there, but the Tar Heels need to come together as a team. Not at all clear who the leader of the team is on the field.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Finster

Post by Finster »

After today, Carolina plays the following:

Hofstra
Wagner
Stony Brook
High Point

Not one game improves your SOS. It does lead to some theoretically easy wins, I guess.

Compare that schedule with a Maryland or Hopkins schedule. What is Breschi doing?! This is head coach malpractice. The UNC lacrosse legacy of playing on Memorial Day is being challenged here, folks.

If the Heels lose today, they’ll play the next four games
(and 27 days) getting zero SOS tournament help, while ‘preparing’ for Army, Virginia, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Duke.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

Compare that schedule with a Maryland or Hopkins schedule. What is Breschi doing?! This is head coach malpractice. The UNC lacrosse legacy of playing on Memorial Day is being challenged here, folks.

(and 27 days) getting zero SOS tournament help, while ‘preparing’ for Army, Virginia, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Duke.

Your point is valid. It does help the win loss record but it does not help the At Large resume. Plus if you bang on we are a young team drum often enough someone might believe it is not your fault. I do think they win today, but if they don't, my recommendation is not to be in the same foxhole as JB
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

The schedule screams that it was designed by someone looking to keep their job. Call it what it is. I said in my earlier post, without those cupcakes he would be staring down the barrel of a 3 win season, 0'fer in the ACC, etc.
Finster

Post by Finster »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:09 am The schedule screams that it was designed by someone looking to keep their job. Call it what it is. I said in my earlier post, without those cupcakes he would be staring down the barrel of a 3 win season, 0'fer in the ACC, etc.

I hate to agree but WAGNER?!?! I mean, are you even kidding me? Is here a story about that match? Is their coach a former Tar Heel? I don’t know, I’m sincerely asking.

UNC’s schedule compared to about any other top-10 team is a joke.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Big win for the Heels. Rankings are going to be interesting this week with Penn beating #1 Duke and then losing to UNC. Then Duke comes back and handles Princeton.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Carolina managed to play one good half of lacrosse this weekend and came away 1-1. It's something to build on, at least.

Congrats to Matt Wrede on his first collegiate goal.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Brownlax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:11 pm Big win for the Heels. Rankings are going to be interesting this week with Penn beating #1 Duke and then losing to UNC. Then Duke comes back and handles Princeton.
Bottom line … North Carolina remains a quality win for Johns Hopkins. That’s the most important thing. ;)

Congrats to the Tar Heels. Much needed win.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Dom, Duffy, and Matan are going to be an absolutely disgusting trio in 1-2 years..you can just see it coming.
molo

Post by molo »

Coaches did make some adjustments. Petro is now pretty much a full time attackman. What’s with the double shorts on the face-off wings, especially when most of the time one of them is the second FOGO?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:45 am After today, Carolina plays the following:

Hofstra
Wagner
Stony Brook
High Point

Not one game improves your SOS. It does lead to some theoretically easy wins, I guess.

Hofstra, Stony Brook and High Point are all goo teams. HPU Gave a Cuse team a good run for 3 quarters. SBU can play with anyone. If the get hot, UNC will have a tough game. Assumed ACC superiority didn't exactly work out this weekend.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”