NCAA Tournament 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:24 am Understandable inasmuch as you've never been on a field with out of control sticks swinging around you.
Of course I have--I used to play street hockey on the inner city mean streets of Boston.

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

lacrossemwj wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:43 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:36 am I think Joe is fighting an uphill battle at Stonybrook. With a growth of the game and the expansion of programs at BCS level schools, it’s becoming harder and harder for schools like Stonybrook to be national championship contenders. Of course, he wants to win a national championship, but they’re pretty much close to or at their ceiling Now given the landscape of the rest of division one

With all that said, though, I will agree that his teams accommodations at Syracuse yesterday were atrocious. How on earth can you call that in NCAA tournament worthy locker room set up? I don’t care if you stuck Stoneybrook or UNC in there. His gripe is still fair. And I also agree with him that that wouldn’t happen on the men’s side.

Sorry, voice text.
What was the gripe about locker rooms at Syracuse? Because all the games were on at once (eyeroll), I was jumping from game to game and didn't see.

Stony Brook is a top 25, R1 university near nice beaches and near NYC, so it's limit seems to be that none of the SUNYs are that attractive to folks from out of state. Is that why it won't be a top contender?
https://www.syracuse.com/orangewomen/20 ... video.html
DMac

Post by DMac »

Meh, it's just a bad day/time for Cuse to be hosting a game.
Am sure all are well after their less than desirable accommodations.
Hell, Cuse has had to give up their locker room and field in the past
due to graduation day.
Normally, as a ranked opponent, Syracuse would host the first and second round games. However, due to the Dome being used for graduation, Princeton will host the games.
https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/lac ... ament-2022
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:43 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:36 am I think Joe is fighting an uphill battle at Stonybrook. With a growth of the game and the expansion of programs at BCS level schools, it’s becoming harder and harder for schools like Stonybrook to be national championship contenders. Of course, he wants to win a national championship, but they’re pretty much close to or at their ceiling Now given the landscape of the rest of division one

With all that said, though, I will agree that his teams accommodations at Syracuse yesterday were atrocious. How on earth can you call that in NCAA tournament worthy locker room set up? I don’t care if you stuck Stoneybrook or UNC in there. His gripe is still fair. And I also agree with him that that wouldn’t happen on the men’s side.

Sorry, voice text.
What was the gripe about locker rooms at Syracuse? Because all the games were on at once (eyeroll), I was jumping from game to game and didn't see.

Stony Brook is a top 25, R1 university near nice beaches and near NYC, so it's limit seems to be that none of the SUNYs are that attractive to folks from out of state. Is that why it won't be a top contender?

Niagara had the tent and Stony Brook the locker room on Friday and there were no complaints from Stony Brook then.
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

laxfan9999 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:26 am

Sorry, voice text.

Niagara had the tent and Stony Brook the locker room on Friday and there were no complaints from Stony Brook then.

Maybe watching the men play in the dome in front of full crowd while the women are giving a locker room with mud floors should be a problem. Niagara should be saying the same thing. It took a NCAA womens basketball player calling out their disastrous weight room set up for changes to be made. Its the NCAA tournament, not fall ball. Syracuse should hear about it. Stop making it about the coach, because if it was Maryland they should be saying the same thing.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

DMac wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:04 am Meh, it's just a bad day/time for Cuse to be hosting a game.
Am sure all are well after their less than desirable accommodations.
Hell, Cuse has had to give up their locker room and field in the past
due to graduation day.
Normally, as a ranked opponent, Syracuse would host the first and second round games. However, due to the Dome being used for graduation, Princeton will host the games.
https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/lac ... ament-2022
It's the NCAA tournament. If Syracuse can't provide proper facilities to host the 2 games due to graduation in the dome and construction at the soccer complex, they shouldn't be hosting. As you mentioned, it wouldn't be the first time they haven't been allowed to host as a seed.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Molehill becomes mountain.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Somehow I doubt much dust will be kicked up over Boston College's port-o-potty's this Thursday after Syracuse's Tentgate...
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

DMac wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:29 pm Molehill becomes mountain.
Had nothing to do with outcome of the game, and even Spallina acknowledged that. It's a question of inequity between the women's and the men's game. Things didn't change for women's basketball until the joke of a training area for the women was publicized. No way a men's team would be put in a muddy tent at an NCAA tournament game. Would never happen and it should be called out.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

hmmm wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:56 pm
DMac wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:29 pm Molehill becomes mountain.
Had nothing to do with outcome of the game, and even Spallina acknowledged that. It's a question of inequity between the women's and the men's game. Things didn't change for women's basketball until the joke of a training area for the women was publicized. No way a men's team would be put in a muddy tent at an NCAA tournament game. Would never happen and it should be called out.
Agreed.
saltylaxer

Post by saltylaxer »

flushlax77 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:02 pm

Sorry, voice text.

Maybe watching the men play in the dome in front of full crowd while the women are giving a locker room with mud floors should be a problem. Niagara should be saying the same thing. It took a NCAA womens basketball player calling out their disastrous weight room set up for changes to be made. Its the NCAA tournament, not fall ball. Syracuse should hear about it. Stop making it about the coach, because if it was Maryland they should be saying the same thing.
We should all have a problem with this. This is highly offensive from Syracuse/NCAA and anyone one else involved with this decision while the men played in the dome. On top of the broadcasting/scheduling decisions , this week is not a great one for women’s lacrosse equity. Not a Spallina fan but he definitely should speak up about this. And frankly there’s no one better to do that than someone with a son on the men’s team.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

saltylaxer wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:17 pm

Sorry, voice text.

We should all have a problem with this. This is highly offensive from Syracuse/NCAA and anyone one else involved with this decision while the men played in the dome. On top of the broadcasting/scheduling decisions , this week is not a great one for women’s lacrosse equity. Not a Spallina fan but he definitely should speak up about this. And frankly there’s no one better to do that than someone with a son on the men’s team.
+1. This is a non revenue sport. There’s no excuse for this.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Sorry, voice text.

Joe actually has a major advantage in that he coaches a yellow jacket team where there is a kind of pipeline of good players.
However, his own daughter doesn't want to go there so that tells you why the best talent doesn't go there.
Because they played on the SU soccer field there were no locker rooms I guess so they put them in tents. Muddy grass and dirt, no turf put down to keep everything dry. It was pretty bad.
He will miss Masera, Hart, Levy and the other seniors a lot. He will be hard-pressed to have talent like those three in near future.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Niagara dealing with it on Friday makes it WORSE. It doesn’t make Joe’s argument weaker. I am no fan of Joe, but he is spot on in the situation.

It’s an embarrassment. If you don’t have the facilities and accommodations to host, you shouldn’t be hosting. It’s pretty simple. Not only did they host, but they were given a pod. So they hosted for an entire weekend. It’s not like the NCAA and Syracuse made a split second decision and put Stonybrook or Niagara into that tent locker room because a water main broke in a facility that morning. They decided that was equitable and fine for an entire weekend with plenty of advance notice. Pathetic.
HailMaryPass

Post by HailMaryPass »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:24 pm
saltylaxer wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:17 pm

Sorry, voice text.

+1. This is a non revenue sport. There’s no excuse for this.
Just want to add that Niagara players posted tiktoks on the tent situation. Huge problem and I am glad players and coaches are speaking up
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Sorry, voice text.

lacrossemwj...go back and do your homework on Stony Brook. I think you understated who they are.
Was Spallina being honest in his assessment of the Tent setup? I've seen better setups at Summer Club tournaments. I doubt if the Men would have been subjected to that. Male HC would not tolerate that.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Yea that’s a 5 game suspension easy. Surely Coach Levy being all things safety will respond appropriately
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxfan22 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:54 pm Yea that’s a 5 game suspension easy. Surely Coach Levy being all things safety will respond appropriately
The only reason Levy, and anyone else for that matter, got involved in "safety" issues was because Mrs. Everson wanted a pound of flesh for what happened to her daughter at Kenneth P. LaValle. Levy, nor anyone else, would have proposed anything like what happened between the 30's this season if the pissed off corporate executive didn't go on the warpath.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Believe every word of that because he knows it to be true.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

FWIW the last time something this egregious was caught on tape was in 2016 when an Oregon player was caught repeatedly slashing opponents off-ball in the same game. The video went viral and despite that, I believe she only served a one game suspension.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”