Sexual Assault ~ Weinstein, Epstein, etc.

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DocBarrister

Re: Sexual Assault ~ Weinstein, Epstein, etc.

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:56 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:44 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:20 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:49 pm It’s not equivalent to Comey being fired but it is not a good look.
Yes. Not a good look at all. Garland should be revving in the red right about now.

He better get on this, and quick.
Is this within Garland’s purview? If people committed crimes they should be investigated and prosecuted. I don’t know enough about the settlement the USVI AG reached earlier and the JP Morgan suit. I would like to hear the Governor’s reasoning for firing the AG. Does anyone have a reason other than Joe told her to fire the AG?
The firing of the USVI AG doesn’t fall under AG Garland’s authority. Just like the firing of a state AG by a state governor wouldn’t directly implicate his authority or oversight.

Only way it might is if the firing somehow violated a federal law (e.g., the firing was done to further some sort of criminal act or the bank bribed the USVI governor).

Again, don’t know enough information to judge, but this USVI case smacks of local politics or personal differences between the USVI AG and governor.

We’ll see once more facts come out.

DocBarrister
I didn’t think this was within Garland’s bailiwick. I wouldn’t mine seeing why the government felt compelled to fire the AG. I doubt it is “Joe told me to do it”… but stranger things have happened.

Found this: https://viconsortium.com/vi-government/ ... erminated-
Well, then the paper is wrong. They're claiming the suit was filed in a Manhattan Federal Court. Who else is in charge of our Federal prosecutions?
:roll:

One does not need to be a federal prosecutor to file a suit in a federal court. I have personally litigated many suits in federal court, as have most other lawyers. It’s not uncommon for state AGs to file suits in federal courts.

Again, you fundamentally misunderstand the circumstances of the USVI AG case.

Just hold your horses until more facts emerge about why the firing took place. I certainly agree the optics look bad, but not for Biden or Garland … it’s the USVI folks that have some explainin’ to do.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:41 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:25 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:23 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:10 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:43 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 am U.S. Virgin Islands Sues JPMorgan Over Epstein Ties

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-virgin-isl ... onsorednav
And coincidentally Biden visits them on the 27th “ for some down time” :roll: and now the USVI AG has been fired. https://sports.yahoo.com/us-virgin-isla ... 42439.html
Another chapter in YA’s book of wished-for conspiracies? All going back to Obama’s desk?
Just look the other way and give it no further thought. I suppose CBS news is the new Fox. Sad.
Exactly what "thought" are you proposing?
I am not proposing anything….
Use another word.

You said "don't give it another thought". And then the crack at CBS, as if it's a propaganda media company like Fox. What "thought" would you say that they should have given it? Or that I should give it?

I simply don't understand what you mean, what you are implying...a fan seems to think he understood you, yet you claim he's wrong...so what were you implying by bringing Biden into it?

Don't say you aren't "implying" anything...explain your meaning, please.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

From the USVI AG's website:

"The Department is administered under the general supervision and direction of the Attorney General of the Virgin Islands...who is appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Legislature of the Virgin Islands."

I could be wrong, but the USVI AG does not appear to be a US DOJ employee. The USVI Governor appoints her; the local legislature consents to the nomination. The Governor retains the power to terminate the AG at his/her pleasure/discretion. If this is the case, then many, many links in the as-yet unforged chain need to be established to show "Biden corruption" in relation to the firing and the Maxwell/Epstein saga. So far, you have a lawsuit, a firing, and Biden having a working vacation over the New Year's holiday. But that's enough for millions of Americans to assert inchoate conspiracy theories. From instagram posts.....
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:34 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:37 am U.S. Virgin Islands Sues JPMorgan Over Epstein Ties

And coincidentally Biden visits them on the 27th “ for some down time” :roll: and now the USVI AG has been fired. https://sports.yahoo.com/us-virgin-isla ... 42439.html
Another chapter in YA’s book of wished-for conspiracies? All going back to Obama’s desk?
Just look the other way and give it no further thought. I suppose CBS news is the new Fox. Sad.
Use another word.

You said "don't give it another thought". And then the crack at CBS, as if it's a propaganda media company like Fox. What "thought" would you say that they should have given it? Or that I should give it?

I simply don't understand what you mean, what you are implying...a fan seems to think he understood you, yet you claim he's wrong...so what were you implying by bringing Biden into it?

That Biden was there 'wink-wink coincidentally' at the very time, the USVI AG files WRT the Epstein trafficking sex abuse issue. About as convenient as people falling out of windows, bill clinton just running into people on the tarmac and boarding their plane to talk about golf, no video of epstein death, silence from the GHISLAINE MAXWELL case. Everything is just peachy..well, except Trump, Trump is always guilty until proven innocents...blue guys are never viewed that way...hence Biden entering the fray in the USVI.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:46 am

Use another word.

That Biden was there 'wink-wink coincidentally' at the very time, the USVI AG files WRT the Epstein trafficking sex abuse issue. About as convenient as people falling out of windows, bill clinton just running into people on the tarmac and boarding their plane to talk about golf, no video of epstein death, silence from the GHISLAINE MAXWELL case. Everything is just peachy..well, except Trump, Trump is always guilty until proven innocents...blue guys are never viewed that way...hence Biden entering the fray in the USVI.
Bidens have been visiting USVI for vacations for dozens of years.
Orange Cheato was also up to his eyeballs with Epstein and so far nothing there (which you somehow manage to overlook)
Find it hard to believe that all of the various media outlets have never found anything to report on.

Maybe you should return to vaccine conspiracies like the one that cause cardiac arrest in an NFL player just last night..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Stay away from windows and staircases :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Use another word.

Again, this is the stuff of conspiracy theorists. Someone needs to get his "news" and "ideas" from something other than a right-wing instagram feed.

Lawsuit filed seeking compensation from JPM in a venue in which JP Morgan resides;

AG fired by Governor;

Biden vacations in the USVI -- as Kismet says, been doing this for years.

Those are the facts. But conspiracy-mongers add ""wink-wink" in place of facts.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I don't want to get into the argument between Doc and a fan, but seems to me that it's very, very unlikely that Biden was in any way involved in this decision, nor should he be now...nor should Garland be expected to have been involved.

I do wonder whether there's some potential corruption of officials, perhaps Bryan, that would necessitate a look at that question, though I'm not sure of the federal jurisdiction issues with a territory...if there's federal jurisdiction, then I'd want my corruption unit to at least take a look. Get some facts and then make a call. But needn't be loud about it.

But it really sounds like the Governor and AG already had a bit of a fraught relationship, and though he'd indicated he'd wanted the AG to be independent of his office, he's now indicating that he should have been informed of such a major lawsuit...why? That's the opposite of independence.

Seems like this may be more about political power flexing. Perhaps she was positioning herself to challenge him politically in the next round...after not investigating, she'd reversed course and she'd already won a major settlement against the Epstein estate, with the implication that USVI authorities had mistakenly given Epstein big tax benefits, with Bryan and former Gov's family implicated in those decisions, and another case accusing the bank of liability as well...perhaps that threatened more political gamesmanship...

Whether Bryan had any real corruption to keep covered, there may simply have been a reaction to having it get played that way.

Nevertheless, it's clear that Bryan didn't really want the AG to have "independence".

I don't think that implicates Biden and his DOJ and AG...in fact, it presents a pretty stark contrast.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Use another word.

I don't understand...are you actually implying that there's real reason to suspect Biden's involvement?

Or are you just trying to say that implications about Trump being a corrupt POS, and thus easily suspected of the worst, weren't justified?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Moving on.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:16 am Moving on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: SS… :lol: :lol: :lol:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:05 am :roll:

One does not need to be a federal prosecutor to file a suit in a federal court. I have personally litigated many suits in federal court, as have most other lawyers. It’s not uncommon for state AGs to file suits in federal courts.

Oh, I understand completely. Did the AG file in NY Federal Court, or not? Yes, right? And who's purview is that, my man? That's the DoJ's court. Their home field. Now they're on Garland's turf.

So what's keeping Garland from opening his own case using the filing in his own court? Appointing a IP? He has a whole range of remedies here. Where's JP Morgan's headquarters, Doc? And USVI falls apart without US Federal monies. Biden can play hardball there, if need be.
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:05 am I certainly agree the optics look bad, but not for Biden or Garland … it’s the USVI folks that have some explainin’ to do.
It's nice we agree on the overall point, the optics look bad.

It's not ok to do this. JP Morgan is a major political donor. They don't get to decide who can and can't sue them because they bankrolled this Governor.

It might be a nothing burger, sure. But if Garland does nothing whatsoever, what message does that send, Doc?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

a fan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:37 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:05 am :roll:

Oh, I understand completely. Did the AG file in NY Federal Court, or not? Yes, right? And who's purview is that, my man? That's the DoJ's court. Their home field. Now they're on Garland's turf.

So what's keeping Garland from opening his own case using the filing in his own court? Appointing a IP? He has a whole range of remedies here. Where's JP Morgan's headquarters, Doc? And USVI falls apart without US Federal monies. Biden can play hardball there, if need be.
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:05 am I certainly agree the optics look bad, but not for Biden or Garland … it’s the USVI folks that have some explainin’ to do.
It's nice we agree on the overall point, the optics look bad.

It's not ok to do this. JP Morgan is a major political donor. They don't get to decide who can and can't sue them because they bankrolled this Governor.

It might be a nothing burger, sure. But if Garland does nothing whatsoever, what message does that send, Doc?
The USVI AG is a civil litigant, and brought a case in a court of competent jurisdiction -- meaning one in which it could obtain jurisdiction over the Defendant, JPM, and obtain the relief it seeks -- meaning money damages. It is not solely the DoJ's turf. Garland is not involved. There is no obvious "corruption" here, or Biden Administration or US DOJ influence over the USVI Governor.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:47 pm The USVI AG is a civil litigant, and brought a case in a court of competent jurisdiction -- meaning one in which it could obtain jurisdiction over the Defendant, JPM, and obtain the relief it seeks -- meaning money damages. It is not solely the DoJ's turf. Garland is not involved. There is no obvious "corruption" here, or Biden Administration or US DOJ influence over the USVI Governor.
I understand all of this. But come on......this is a high profile case with all the hallmarks for corruption.....oversized US Corporation bullying the locals by throwing money around, and the Governor fires a lawyer for doing her job. It simply doesn't look good.

As I told Doc, there's a whole mess of remedies at Garland's disposal. Biden's, too. And it doesn't need to be a hammer.

This is JP Morgan, fellas. Major political donor. Add in Epstein. Why do you think outlets are reporting this story? It stinks, that's why.

Garland needs to do his job. I hope he does.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:13 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:47 pm The USVI AG is a civil litigant, and brought a case in a court of competent jurisdiction -- meaning one in which it could obtain jurisdiction over the Defendant, JPM, and obtain the relief it seeks -- meaning money damages. It is not solely the DoJ's turf. Garland is not involved. There is no obvious "corruption" here, or Biden Administration or US DOJ influence over the USVI Governor.
I understand all of this. But come on......this is a high profile case with all the hallmarks for corruption.....oversized US Corporation bullying the locals by throwing money around, and the Governor fires a lawyer for doing her job. It simply doesn't look good.

As I told Doc, there's a whole mess of remedies at Garland's disposal. Biden's, too. And it doesn't need to be a hammer.

This is JP Morgan, fellas. Major political donor. Add in Epstein. Why do you think outlets are reporting this story? It stinks, that's why.

I have yet to see where Garland has jurisdiction. Not saying he doesn’t…I have not seen anything that indicates that he can continue this action. Are you saying he should open up an investigation if he has no jurisdiction on this existing case?

Maybe the Governor is covering political tracks and Garland should investigate the Governor of USVI? Governor has reasons to tell AG to stand down and the AG is insubordinate and is fired and this becomes Joe and Garland’s mess?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:18 pm Maybe the Governor is covering political tracks and Garland should investigate the Governor of USVI? Governor has reasons to tell AG to stand down and the AG is insubordinate and is fired and this becomes Joe and Garland’s mess?
Yes. All of this. It doesn't have to be complicated......is this Governor on the take? How much money does JP Morgan pump into the island, for starters? Do a bit of due diligence isn't too much to ask.

I'm sure they can't do a thing about the suit that was filed. But there are all sorts of jurisdictional crossovers here, between JP Morgan's operations in the lower 48, and USVI getting Federal dollars, and having to follow Federal laws.

A just DoJ will figure out what to do. I hope.

They're still investigation Hunter, FFS. Surely they can spare a few staffers to look into this POS Epstein's activities, and where JPMorgan may (may) have enabled him.

I'm simply saying: doing nothing whatsoever about this firing looks bad. It APPEARS to be boilerplate US imperialism.....Big corrupt US money bullying the locals into doing their bidding. Maybe that's not what happened....but a look around from 3rd party Federal eyes is called for here.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:18 pm

I have yet to see where Garland has jurisdiction. Not saying he doesn’t…I have not seen anything that indicates that he can continue this action. Are you saying he should open up an investigation if he has no jurisdiction on this existing case?

Maybe the Governor is covering political tracks and Garland should investigate the Governor of USVI? Governor has reasons to tell AG to stand down and the AG is insubordinate and is fired and this becomes Joe and Garland’s mess?
DoJ has a US Attorney for USVI who has jurisdiction over civil and criminal Federal Law including an Appellate Section.
Perhaps they have not chimed in as they don't have a case/investigation in front of them at this point with regard to Federal statutes.
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:40 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:18 pm

DoJ has a US Attorney for USVI who has jurisdiction over civil and criminal Federal Law including an Appellate Section.
Perhaps they have not chimed in as they don't have a case/investigation in front of them at this point with regard to Federal statutes.
Thanks. So this may not be in the DOJ’s bailiwick and the Governor firing the attorney may not be sufficient grounds to launch a case. I don’t understand the settlement that JP Morgan reached and the conditions.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:37 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:18 pm Maybe the Governor is covering political tracks and Garland should investigate the Governor of USVI? Governor has reasons to tell AG to stand down and the AG is insubordinate and is fired and this becomes Joe and Garland’s mess?
Yes. All of this. It doesn't have to be complicated......is this Governor on the take? How much money does JP Morgan pump into the island, for starters? Do a bit of due diligence isn't too much to ask.

I'm sure they can't do a thing about the suit that was filed. But there are all sorts of jurisdictional crossovers here, between JP Morgan's operations in the lower 48, and USVI getting Federal dollars, and having to follow Federal laws.

A just DoJ will figure out what to do. I hope.

They're still investigation Hunter, FFS. Surely they can spare a few staffers to look into this POS Epstein's activities, and where JPMorgan may (may) have enabled him.

I'm simply saying: doing nothing whatsoever about this firing looks bad. It APPEARS to be boilerplate US imperialism.....Big corrupt US money bullying the locals into doing their bidding. Maybe that's not what happened....but a look around from 3rd party Federal eyes is called for here.
Just to be clear, all you are suggesting is that IF DOJ has jurisdiction in USVI, they should at least figure out whether there's actually something wrong in this firing...and if so, but only if so, take some action? Do you want them to announce they are investigating??

Or are you saying they should make a lot of noise about this obviously being something corrupt and smear the bank, the Governor, etc...'cause they can claim jurisdiction wherever they want?
Typical Lax Dad

Return to “POLITICS”