UVA @ Syracuse Sat. 4/20 2 pm

D1 Mens Lacrosse
JeremyCuse

Re: UVA @ Syracuse Sat. 4/20 2 pm

Post by JeremyCuse »

NYlax222 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:50 am Have complimented Cuse - staff and players - multiple times for returning to prominence, etc this year, but, the daily posts from Cuse fanatics demanding we all genuflect to the mastery of their attackmen is beyond annoying. He's an excellent player, no doubt, and no fair minded fan should say differently. Every star player has big games, and quieter games? Why can't you Cuse folks show some grace and not feel compelled to explain away his every single performance against elite competition, and insist we all bow to your perspective?
Could you link those daily posts here about Spallina you mentioned above, my guess is you can't because you literally just made that up. There are zero posts demanding people recognize Spallina or that fans genuflext to him (absolutely absurd statement). 80% of the posts about Spallina are from non SU fans, were not obsessed with him or his performance. Joeys a Really good player, he isn't a speed dodger which hurts his game and hes very susceptible against elite close defenders, how many times do we need to say it? Give the kid a fn break
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:34 am
Finster wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:20 am
GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:15 am
NYlax222 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:50 am Have complimented Cuse - staff and players - multiple times for returning to prominence, etc this year, but, the daily posts from Cuse fanatics demanding we all genuflect to the mastery of their attackmen is beyond annoying. He's an excellent player, no doubt, and no fair minded fan should say differently. Every star player has big games, and quieter games? Why can't you Cuse folks show some grace and not feel compelled to explain away his every single performance against elite competition, and insist we all bow to your perspective?
It's because of how the media portrays him + #22. Oh, and how early he was thrown into the Tewaaraton watchlist.

He is an excellent player, no doubt. I think the nepotism/media has portrayed him in a "super hero" light. Outside of Cornell and Hopkins, he has been pedestrian in top match ups. He's made out to be an X attackman stud, but he doesn't do what the other X attackman studs do... aka dodge for themselves, Beat elite defenders, etc.

Most of his goals are backpipe and assisted. While his assists are on hang ups, where his hands are free. He doesn't do anything athletically impressive. I see him more as a role player (like an Eric Law) than a stud X attackman like a Brandau, Shelly, Spencer, etc. He knows his role and capabilities. He doesn't have to dodge, and he can benefit from slick ball movement and off ball play.
Come on, man. Spallina has the second highest number of points in D1, he’s fourth in PPG.
a nit because outside of brandau, the margins are pretty thin, but he's actually 7th in ppg. right behind shellenberger, good company. spallina and 'cuse and the staff have been on an admirable trajectory the last 2 years. biggest games are coming up.
Critiques come with the territory but critics tend to cherry pick comparisons Spallina's strengths and limitations should be pretty obvious by now but realize that he has lived up to billing as top offensive recruit in 22 class . Say he's no Shellenberger , Kavanaugh , Sowers and certainly no Gait or Powell but perhaps critics should be comparing him to # 2 Sunderland in his class or #1 Schulz and #2 McAdorey in their class .Fine players in their own right but perhaps those compare offer a better context. Beyond the occaasional btb , JS game is more substance than style, not about breaking ankles nor overpowering but about identifying and putting a pass right on a stick and making most oif oppotunities as they happen in flow .In 22 class , Weisshar of Towson is clearly more dynamic but his numbers are far lower . Opponents know Spallina is integral part of Cuse O n plan for him. Even when he is not posting numbers , he is occupying their best defenders and opening up more field for others . Label my take however one wants, he's very good
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:55 pm To many non SU fans get caught up in 22, it's been handed out plenty of times before and is a great recruiting tool that any other school would use including Hop, UVA, ND etc.
The #22 is a recruiting tool for Cuse because they decided to make it one. It doesn't exist independently of the school actively turning it into something. I can't speak for other schools but it's not something Hopkins "would use" if they could — because they have already chosen not to create such a tool despite having ample opportunities to do so. The only number they give out differently than others is to honor a player who died tragically, and it's given to a freshman who exhibits certain qualities during fall ball. It certainly is not part of any recruiting pitch.

At the end of the day there are schools that could do exactly what Cuse does, but don't want to. And if I had to guess why it's because they've concluded that the purported recruiting benefits (is there any actual evidence for this, btw?) do not outweigh the unnecessary pressure and spotlight it puts on a kid before he even arrives on campus. I'm a little surprised that after the Scanlan disaster there wasn't more introspection that hey maybe we should change up how we do this. I recall Carc saying at the time to keep the tradition but to give it to an upperclassman who has earned it, which seems like a much better idea to me. But that doesn't appear to have caught on.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:32 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:55 pm To many non SU fans get caught up in 22, it's been handed out plenty of times before and is a great recruiting tool that any other school would use including Hop, UVA, ND etc.
The #22 is a recruiting tool for Cuse because they decided to make it one. It doesn't exist independently of the school actively turning it into something. I can't speak for other schools but it's not something Hopkins "would use" if they could — because they have already chosen not to create such a tool despite having ample opportunities to do so. The only number they give out differently than others is to honor a player who died tragically, and it's given to a freshman who exhibits certain qualities during fall ball. It certainly is not part of any recruiting pitch.

At the end of the day there are schools that could do exactly what Cuse does, but don't want to. And if I had to guess why it's because they've concluded that the purported recruiting benefits (is there any actual evidence for this, btw?) do not outweigh the unnecessary pressure and spotlight it puts on a kid before he even arrives on campus. I'm a little surprised that after the Scanlan disaster there wasn't more introspection that hey maybe we should change up how we do this. I recall Carc saying at the time to keep the tradition but to give it to an upperclassman who has earned it, which seems like a much better idea to me. But that doesn't appear to have caught on.
Agree Hop, more cons than pros. After Scanlan fiasco, Cuse had perfect opportunity for redo whether that be retiring practice or assigning number later ie Maryland. Having said that , Spallina has shown himself to be worthy of wearing from a perspective of production and character.

Shame that Cuse UVA thread went off rails, helluva game as was Hop-Maryland
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I, too, think SU should defer giving #22 to a freshman(I know, no one asked me). Perhaps that was the lure to get him to SU, but I doubt it. Otherwise, I like Joey's game and the fact that he draws the opponents #1 pole and the accompanying pressure as it frees up his teammates. Most #1 poles want to be in the action--be heroes--so I like that SU used Joey as more of a decoy in the 6v6 game versus UVA. His vision, shooting ability and unselfishness becomes evident in the transition game.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Schools clearly have different ways of going about recruiting and using numbers and thats absolutely fine, but I completely disagree that other schools could do the same if they wanted. What other blue blood D1 school has a number history like 22? The 22 at Cuse is something everyone lax fan knows about good or bad. Maryland developed theor own sort of deal with #1 but that's very recent and certainly not a recruiting tool. As for what Hopkins would do we have no real idea because it's not something they ever had a history with but I doubt Milliman wouldn't be happy to use it if he could.

Scanlan was a disaster but had zero to do with #22 it was because he's apparently an abuser who did a horrific thing and was rightfully punished.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:06 pm I, too, think SU should defer giving #22 to a freshman(I know, no one asked me). Perhaps that was the lure to get him to SU, but I doubt it. Otherwise, I like Joey's game and the fact that he draws the opponents #1 pole and the accompanying pressure as it frees up his teammates. Most #1 poles want to be in the action--be heroes--so I like that SU used Joey as more of a decoy in the 6v6 game versus UVA. His vision, shooting ability and unselfishness becomes evident in the transition game.
getting around to the game on this thread seems appropriate. schroter (not kastner) had spallina. and he had a helluva game. definitely wasn't a function of 'cuse using spallina as a decoy, imo. schroter won the matchup.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

This all started because of the below comment, from a poster who has seemingly made it his mission to bash Spallina whenever he gets the chance.
BigTurn wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:04 pm Spallinas been a ghost so far yet again. Top 25 on tewey watch over Cormier is laughable.
What do you expect Syracuse fans to do? Sorry, but the bizarre attacks on Spallina are relentless on this board and I think every fan base has the right to defend their players. It's become apparent that certain posters (like BigTurn and old friend Laxitup) have an unhealthy obsession with putting this kid down. If you just want Syracuse posters to sit back and take it, you yourself are delusional with the way message boards work.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

He’s a good player. Hes not a top 25 player in the country. End of story.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:11 pm

Schools clearly have different ways of going about recruiting and using numbers and thats absolutely fine, but I completely disagree that other schools could do the same if they wanted. What other blue blood D1 school has a number history like 22? The 22 at Cuse is something everyone lax fan knows about good or bad. Maryland developed theor own sort of deal with #1 but that's very recent and certainly not a recruiting tool. As for what Hopkins would do we have no real idea because it's not something they ever had a history with but I doubt Milliman wouldn't be happy to use it if he could.

Scanlan was a disaster but had zero to do with #22 it was because he's apparently an abuser who did a horrific thing and was rightfully punished.
You're missing my point. #22 has the history that it does because Syracuse decided to turn it into something. Otherwise it would just be Gary Gait's number the same way #43 was Petro's number. Hopkins *could have* started handing out #43 to specific players, and it'd be seen the same way today that #22 is for Syracuse. They absolutely could have done that with a variety of numbers given the program's history. But they have chosen not to pursue the ritual. "We have no real idea" what Hopkins would do? Again — yes, we do, because they're not doing it.

No one said the number had anything to do with what happened with Scanlan but it is a prime example of what can happen when you just hand over a part of your history to a guy who has not earned it and did not deserve it — which is exactly why Carc (correctly, IMO) suggested to tweak how it was awarded to ensure it remains in the hands of someone who lives up to the ideals it claims to represent. Otherwise you're just rolling the dice and hoping its wearer lives up to the standard on and off the field.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

It was also well known around college lax at the time that scanlan had locker room issues at Loyola and was still offered 22 as a recruiting tool.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:36 pm

You're missing my point. #22 has the history that it does because Syracuse turned it into something. Had they not made the decision to turn it into a special thing, it would have just been Gary Gait's number the same way #43 was Petro's number. Hopkins *could have* started handing out #43 to specific players, and it'd be seen the same way today that #22 is for Syracuse. They absolutely could have done that with a variety of numbers given the program's history. But they have chosen not to pursue the ritual. "We have no real idea" what Hopkins would do? Again — yes, we do, because they're not doing it.

No one said the number had anything to do with what happened with Scanlan but it is a prime example of what can happen when you just hand over a part of your history to a guy who has not earned it and did not deserve it — which is exactly why Carc (correctly, IMO) suggested to tweak how it was awarded to ensure it remains in the hands of someone who lives up to the ideals it claims to represent. Otherwise you're just rolling the dice and hoping its wearer lives up to the standard on and off the field.
I think we're both missing each other's points, lol. I get what your saying but 22 happened organically as SU didn't offer it to the Powells they asked for it and it grew from there, at that point if SU didn't use it, it would be malpractice especially when players are asking for it (see Dan Hardy and Cody Jameson) Had 3 more great defenseman wore 43 over the course of 15-20 years Hopkins probably would have done the same but it didn't happen to work out like that.

Certainly the Scanlan thing blew up but I don't think that tarnished the #, he was a bad dude, it happens. UVA didn't stop recruiting prep kids because Hugley was a murdering scumbag
Last edited by JeremyCuse on Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:33 pm He’s a good player. Hes not a top 25 player in the country. End of story.
We don't care nor are we asking him to be, that's the point. Go yell at the committee.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:36 pm

You're missing my point. #22 has the history that it does because Syracuse decided to turn it into something. Otherwise it would just be Gary Gait's number the same way #43 was Petro's number. Hopkins *could have* started handing out #43 to specific players, and it'd be seen the same way today that #22 is for Syracuse. They absolutely could have done that with a variety of numbers given the program's history. But they have chosen not to pursue the ritual. "We have no real idea" what Hopkins would do? Again — yes, we do, because they're not doing it.

Honestly, I dont think there are many schools that could replicate the strategy. You have Gait and the Powells. This is like UNC hanging out 23 jersey to their #1 recruit, if there were more than 1 MJ. We are talking Mt Rushmore players, not even your day to day HOFer.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Powellfan22 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:21 pm
This all started because of the below comment, from a poster who has seemingly made it his mission to bash Spallina whenever he gets the chance.
BigTurn wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:04 pm Spallinas been a ghost so far yet again. Top 25 on tewey watch over Cormier is laughable.
What do you expect Syracuse fans to do? Sorry, but the bizarre attacks on Spallina are relentless on this board and I think every fan base has the right to defend their players. It's become apparent that certain posters (like BigTurn and old friend Laxitup) have an unhealthy obsession with putting this kid down. If you just want Syracuse posters to sit back and take it, you yourself are delusional with the way message boards work.
Agreed whole thing is bizarre. If SU were fans were pumping him up and arguing him for 1st team AA it would be one thing but it's essentially 5 guys on a fan site who are obsessed with him for some reason. Also as you noted any fanbase is gonna defend their players. If I went over to the Hop thread and started ripping Melendez constantly or the Cornell one ripping their goalies od expect to get push back and a decent amount of it
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:48 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:33 pm He’s a good player. Hes not a top 25 player in the country. End of story.
We don't care nor are we asking him to be, that's the point. Go yell at the committee.
You’re sure whining like you care. Cuse fans are on here acting like it’s some insane critique… everyone’s here to discuss lacrosse. When a guy ends up on the Tewaaraton Top 25 list, people are going to discuss if it’s warranted.
Last edited by BigTurn on Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:03 pm
You’re sure whining like you care. You asked for the source of the critique.. that’s it.
I didn't bring him up and no that's not the source of the critique the other poster mentioned he made up a bunch of nonsense. The only person whining is you man, no one thinks he's a 1st team AA hof attackmen, time to move on. Your obsession with this kid is bizarre. Cuse has 3 top 5 wins and is back in the tourney, we don't give a turd about Joey's #s
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:08 pm
You’re sure whining like you care. You asked for the source of the critique.. that’s it.
I didn't bring him up and no that's not the source of the critique the other poster mentioned he made up a bunch of nonsense. The only person whining is you man, no one thinks he's a 1st team AA hof attackmen, time to move on. Your obsession with this kid is bizarre. Cuse has 3 top 5 wins and is back in the tourney, we don't give a turd about Joey's #s
Sorry man, I totally forgot you’re the only person on here allowed to share opinions. I’ll DM you for permission next time.

For the record, he was named a mid season 2nd teamer, so obviously some people are overhyping his production, which is once again, the entire source of the comments.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:12 pm
Sorry man, I totally forgot you’re the only person on here allowed to share opinions. I’ll DM you for permission next time.

For the record, he was named a mid season 2nd teamer, so obviously some people are overhyping his production, which is once again, the entire source of the comments.
You think anyone here has a vote on the AA list? An opinion is fine but not when you share the same opinion every week and say the same thing over and over. We get it you don't like Spallina move on already
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:16 pm
BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:12 pm

You think anyone here has a vote on the AA list? An opinion is fine but not when you share the same opinion every week and say the same thing over and over. We get it you don't like Spallina move on already
Lmao you keep strawmanning everything I’ve said. People discuss the Top 20 polls on here every single day, and no one has a vote on that either.
He’s a good player who I do not dislike, and he seems like a great kid. I’ve said that several times on here. I don’t think he’s deserving of 2nd team or Top 25. That’s it, that’s all I’ve ever said. Done discussing this.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”