Future of WLax Rules

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxfan22

Re: Future of WLax Rules

Post by laxfan22 »

Is that the consensus? To me, that’s not the case at all but rather the inconsistency of the calls - and reffing is definitely not easy at all.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I don't know. It's definitely easy sitting in the stands, squinting into the sun, 75 yards away from the play. ;)
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

laxfan22 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:27 pm Is that the consensus? To me, that’s not the case at all but rather the inconsistency of the calls - and reffing is definitely not easy at all.
I think we are saying the same thing - call the game consistently. If there are missed calls, that would mean they are inconsistent..

I agree, officiating is not easy, and have said more than once that the rules can be unclear and vague, which makes the job of officiating even more difficult. However, I don’t think cross-checking is one of those rules.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

https://katiecouric.com/culture/sports/ ... osse-safe/

Katie Couric interviews Yale player Taylor Everson who had her kidney lacerated in a game.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Awful injury. The response though…
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

laxfan22 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:54 pm Awful injury. The response though…
How in the world does an ambulance get lost between the field and the hospital, which is no more than 6 or 7 blocks away?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Why didn’t somebody put her in a car or a van and drive to the hospital? The hospital is right on campus, less than a mile from the field. It would make sense, perhaps, to call an ambulance first, but after five minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, I don’t understand why somebody didn’t grab the bull by the horns and say “let’s go.” I’m not blaming any of those who were there, but it is perplexing, at least to me.
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:07 pm
laxfan22 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:27 pm Is that the consensus? To me, that’s not the case at all but rather the inconsistency of the calls - and reffing is definitely not easy at all.
I think we are saying the same thing - call the game consistently. If there are missed calls, that would mean they are inconsistent..

I agree, officiating is not easy, and have said more than once that the rules can be unclear and vague, which makes the job of officiating even more difficult. However, I don’t think cross-checking is one of those rules.
I'm asking an honest question because I don't completely understand the cross-checking rule.

"Cross Checks - It is illegal for a player to initiate stick-to-body contact and use the shaft of the stick to hit, push or displace an opponent. Cross checking often occurs when a player plays an opponent's body, and not the ball."

According to the above definition, it seems that a cross-check technically occurs on a lot of plays where a defender is simply guarding a ball carrier up close.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

To me “hit, push or displace” requires the defender to initiate the stick to body contact. If a defender is generally using the stick without extending arms forward, it’s allowable. I could be entirely wrong. And cross-check to me is when the stick is horizontal with hands on the outside of the stick so contact is the stick between the hands (if that makes sense)
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

https://dbknews.com/2016/05/29/maryland ... mpionship/

In the above link, Alice Mercer has her stick horizontal with both hands on the outside of the stick and her arms are extended. She is pushing back against her opponent with her stick.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

njbill wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:53 pm I don't know. It's definitely easy sitting in the stands, squinting into the sun, 75 yards away from the play. ;)
you need to get a better seat!
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:58 pm
Brownlax wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:19 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:04 am
njbill wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:50 pm I actually have never seen a ref card or even whistle a player for flopping or embellishment. I wonder if anyone else has.
I saw it once in a club game and it was probably the worst flop I've ever seen. Incidental contact then girl falls to the side and knocks her goggles off with her hands while falling
It's quite obvious that certain clubs seem to teach this strategy and it continues in college.
Not saying I support flopping, but from what I understand, the general consensus is that on the whole, fouls are not called enough. So, I can almost see where the embellishment is coming from. Idk, IMO a lot of things lead back to “call the GD game”
couldn't agree more - just call the game the way the rules are written and the behavior will change. If the ref's are not up to task, get rid of them. If nothing changes, well then, nothing changes.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

njfanlax wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:18 pm https://dbknews.com/2016/05/29/maryland ... mpionship/

In the above link, Alice Mercer has her stick horizontal with both hands on the outside of the stick and her arms are extended. She is pushing back against her opponent with her stick.
Can’t tell if she’s pushing based on a still photo but by all means, call that a foul if she is.
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

That commonly happens in every game in every age group. No one considers it a foul. Defenders are taught to initiate contact with the shafts of their stick to deny the ball carrier at a minimum freedom of movement and at worst to physically push the ball carrier away from the goal. So according to the letter of the law, they are all cross-checks. But if the rule is based on something more than that - like intent, the officiating to me becomes a lot harder.

What if 2 opposing players inadvertently collided and the defender was holding the stick in front of her and consequently the stick initiated contact on her side?
njbill

Post by njbill »

8meterPA wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:39 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:53 pm I don't know. It's definitely easy sitting in the stands, squinting into the sun, 75 yards away from the play. ;)
you need to get a better seat!
No need. I can make all the calls correctly from there. Have never missed one. :lol:
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Watching Carolina vs Duke right now - why does it take certain refs 30-45 seconds to set up the draw? Such a waste of time. If players are moving, call a violation and award the ball to the other team. Just one of my pet peeve’s!!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

During his interview on the BC/Cuse broadcast, Gary Gait implied that the 10v10 change is likely: “Six v six in both ends, 10 v 10, you know I think it will be fun. I coached it this summer in the worlds and it’s exciting lacrosse.”

I personally think it makes for better offensive flow, but I have wondered why Jenny Levy ties it in with safety. I wonder if it relates to the fact that with the 8M being crowded, 7v6 is not as much of a penalty for bad behavior as 6v5. A team is significantly more likely to score in 6v5 than 7v6.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:13 pm During his interview on the BC/Cuse broadcast, Gary Gait implied that the 10v10 change is likely: “Six v six in both ends, 10 v 10, you know I think it will be fun. I coached it this summer in the worlds and it’s exciting lacrosse.”

I personally think it makes for better offensive flow, but I have wondered why Jenny Levy ties it in with safety. I wonder if it relates to the fact that with the 8M being crowded, 7v6 is not as much of a penalty for bad behavior as 6v5. A team is significantly more likely to score in 6v5 than 7v6.
I don’t get it. Sport is exciting 7 v 7 too. Is it a need to increase scoring significantly? Again, do the coaches at top 10 d 1 programs speak for every level of lacrosse? Is what is cool or neat internationally or at unc/Syracuse needed at all levels? Do we really need to reduce the number of girls who get to play by almost 20%? Lax coaches are great at not considering unintended consequences. Cool. Let’s limit players and rosters for….
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

I mean where are those clamoring for 8 man baseball teams, 10 aside football, 10 aside soccer? 4v4 basketball? We could score more in those sports too.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Why stop at eight baseball players? Who cares if there have been nine players to a team for 150+ years. Let’s play 7 v. 7: remove one infielder and one outfielder. Lots more scoring. Lots more base running. More inside the park home runs. Very exciting. Oh, you say, that might make the game longer. Then let’s only play seven innings.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”