Virginia 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Virginia 2023

Post by wgdsr »

Finster wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:00 pm I’ll be at the Saturday game at Klockner. Know a few families on Harvard.

This game is not the cakewalk some Hoos folks think it is. Be warned.
hoo are these hoos folks, if you know?
molo

Post by molo »

Who said it would be a cakewalk? Harvard made the tournament last year, when the Ivy League was probably the strongest top to bottom ever. I would certainly favor the home team but wouldn’t expect to see a whole lot of pt for backups.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Finster wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:00 pm I’ll be at the Saturday game at Klockner. Know a few families on Harvard.

I don't think ANY Hoo faithful think Harvard is going to be a cakewalk.

The UVA schedule this year is brutal. Anyone who thought Mich would be a cakewalk were drinking heavily from the cup of hubris. And Harvard should be presenting a much bigger challenge...
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Finster

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:29 pm

I don’t know how to search this site but in another thread here recently, some Hoo fans took issue with me when I said the entire Ivy League including Dartmouth had the potential this year to beat UVA. I’m also fairly sure the Hoo fans who show up Saturday, not nearly as in tune with lacrosse as this board, likely is expecting a blowout win by the Hoos.

Harvard has a good gd team. They aren’t coming to Charlottesville to play beer pong.
molo

Post by molo »

I said something similar in either the Virginia thread or the poll thread. If Cornell, Princeton, Yale, and Penn as good as I think they are, not having seen them yet, of course, I would put them in UVA’s category. Brown and Harvard would be a little below, but not so far that they on a good day couldn’t beat UVA on a day when they don’t put it all together. Big Green would have a tougher time.
I’m glad the game is at four, allowing me to get to the RAC live and still get home in time to watch it online.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Finster wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:04 pm

I don’t know how to search this site but in another thread here recently, some Hoo fans took issue with me when I said the entire Ivy League including Dartmouth had the potential this year to beat UVA. I’m also fairly sure the Hoo fans who show up Saturday, not nearly as in tune with lacrosse as this board, likely is expecting a blowout win by the Hoos.

Harvard has a good gd team. They aren’t coming to Charlottesville to play beer pong.
I suspect it was the inclusion of Dartmouth in your statement that most likely attracted people's responses? While Dartmouth is making great strides, I don't think anyone is going to make a very credible argument that their reasonable expectations for the season are the same as Harvard's....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Finster wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:04 pm

Hmmm. I am not aware of any Hoo fans saying that so sounds like an attempt to stir things up. If anything, discussions, even on the Sabre message board, have been about how difficult the schedule is and how every team on it could beat them. With general parity in the game somebody eventually will, sooner or later. You also might be surprised at how “in tune with lacrosse” the general Virginia spectator crowd is… Even then, they all aren’t Virginia fans. Hope you enjoy the experience. It’s a very good venue.
molo

Post by molo »

I’m so old we didn’t play beer pong, but in my day I don’t think Harvard, or the rest of the Ivy League, would have been competitive with the U when it came to beer and related issues. A high school friend who ended up at Princeton visited me one weekend in the fall of my first year. His mother called mine to let her know what a wonderful time he had during his visit. I’m sure he did although I doubt he remembered any of it. And that was back when liquids still reigned, a situation that changed dramatically in the next couple of years.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

The first 3 quarters were more of a cakewalk than anyone expected. But then the backups came in and made the score closer.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Gatsby wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:40 pm

The first 3 quarters were more of a cakewalk than anyone expected. But then the backups came in and made the score closer.

I know. I was there. I wrote my observations in the game thread here.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Just read that Lars has not only the #1 recruit in ‘23, he also now has the #1 ‘24 recruit. They’re all attack.

With Shellenberger having at least one more year, I gather the Wahoos don’t have to think too hard about their offense for a while.

It’ll be interesting in six years to see which #1 recruit impacted their teams and the game the best (national titles being my favored metric):

Shellenberger (UVA)
O’Neill (Duke)
Spallina (Cuse)
Millon (UVA)
Duenkel (UVA)

For my money, I think Shellenberger will be that guy. He seems to have the speed, size, intelligence, and leadership that brings home the trophy the most. His supporting cast isn’t bad either.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:16 am Just read that Lars has not only the #1 recruit in ‘23, he also now has the #1 ‘24 recruit. They’re all attack.

With Shellenberger having at least one more year, I gather the Wahoos don’t have to think too hard about their offense for a while.

It’ll be interesting in six years to see which #1 recruit impacted their teams and the game the best (national titles being my favored metric):

Shellenberger (UVA)
O’Neill (Duke)
Spallina (Cuse)
Millon (UVA)
Duenkel (UVA)

For my money, I think Shellenberger will be that guy. He seems to have the speed, size, intelligence, and leadership that brings home the trophy the most. His supporting cast isn’t bad either.
I believe that Truitt Sunderland will have a better career than Spallina. Think IL listed as their #2 recruit for this year’s freshman
Finster

Post by Finster »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:01 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:16 am Just read that Lars has not only the #1 recruit in ‘23, he also now has the #1 ‘24 recruit. They’re all attack.

Shellenberger (UVA)
O’Neill (Duke)
Spallina (Cuse)
Millon (UVA)
Duenkel (UVA)

I believe that Truitt Sunderland will have a better career than Spallina. Think IL listed as their #2 recruit for this year’s freshman

I’m sure Sunderland is good, but he had a few errant passes and catches yesterday. More relevantly, he’s just not that big. Size counts for a lot when going up against really strong defenders like Maryland’s Makar, or UVA’s Sausted. Not only are they much bigger, but they’re equally fast.

Spallina has some meat on his bones already. He should be okay.

One reason Shellenberger is hard to contain is his size. I don’t know the numbers but eyeball tells me Sunderland is at least 40 lbs lighter than Shellenberger, and probably 80 lbs lighter than Cormier (who frankly could lose a few).

Sunderland going to need to hit the weight room, imo.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Huh, Sunderland in open field sprints right by either of those defenseman who aren't particularly fast especially #11 who was better as a frosh.

Sunderland is a frosh , he' will get bigger and have a excellent career.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:14 pm

Shellenberger (UVA)
O’Neill (Duke)
Spallina (Cuse)
Millon (UVA)
Duenkel (UVA)

I’m sure Sunderland is good, but he had a few errant passes and catches yesterday. More relevantly, he’s just not that big. Size counts for a lot when going up against really strong defenders like Maryland’s Makar, or UVA’s Sausted. Not only are they much bigger, but they’re equally fast.

One reason Shellenberger is hard to contain is his size. I don’t know the numbers but eyeball tells me Sunderland is at least 40 lbs lighter than Shellenberger, and probably 80 lbs lighter than Cormier (who frankly could lose a few).

Size is always preferred. I'll agree that so far, the freshman hasn't dazzled but it's only been two games in. I don't think either of the top two recruits of 2022 are that physically impressive but I guess they got the job done at the high school level.

One player that I was wrong about two years ago was Dickson. I thought his frame is too light and I didn't think he'd do much. But he's been excellent, like you mentioned in the game thread. He reminds me a Matt Abbott at Syracuse who was also deadly.

The large linebacker types on the roster have not been that effective so far, like you mentioned. But unlike you, I do see Miezan's potential as he can get open.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Gatsby wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:48 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:14 pm

Shellenberger (UVA)
O’Neill (Duke)
Spallina (Cuse)
Millon (UVA)
Duenkel (UVA)

Size is always preferred. I'll agree that so far, the freshman hasn't dazzled but it's only been two games in. I don't think either of the top two recruits of 2022 are that physically impressive but I guess they got the job done at the high school level.

One player that I was wrong about two years ago was Dickson. I thought his frame is too light and I didn't think he'd do much. But he's been excellent, like you mentioned in the game thread. He reminds me a Matt Abbott at Syracuse who was also deadly.

The large linebacker types on the roster have not been that effective so far, like you mentioned. But unlike you, I do see Miezan's potential as he can get open.

I saw Dickson once when he played at Brunswick High. He was great then.

What I like about him more than anything is his field and teammate IQ. He and Shellenberger are just a shade below Pat Spencer in that regard. Spencer had Kevin Lindley, who was also brilliant about field IQ. The only difference here between those two comps (Spencer/Lindley, Shellenberger/Dickson) might be Spencer’s athleticism.

UVA will be a tough out this year. They don’t have any weaknesses I can see other than there’s only one ball to play with. I don’t know who will beat them. I’m quickly changing my mind about them. That happens when you see a team in person.

Any team that beats UVA must control the Faceoff by at least 60-40. I can’t see this offense turning the ball over much.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Finster wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:43 pm

Good discussion, Finster but seeing your comments in the game thread
Finster wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:27 pm In any event, after seeing UVA, I’m not sure there’s another team that can beat them this year.
I mean wow, you're right about these Hoo supporters getting out of hand. They think it's going to be a cakewalk. I wish someone would tell them it won't be.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Gatsby wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:35 am
Finster wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:43 pm

Good discussion, Finster but seeing your comments in the game thread
Finster wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:27 pm In any event, after seeing UVA, I’m not sure there’s another team that can beat them this year.
I mean wow, you're right about these Hoo supporters getting out of hand. They think it's going to be a cakewalk. I wish someone would tell them it won't be.

I know. Mea culpa. Seeing them in person changed my mind. But I’m a stickler for obnoxiously confident homer fans regardless of school. My school has too many for instance.

Let me tell you why I changed my view on UVA. I used to watch Mario Lemieux play hockey quite a bit. Lemieux elevated his entire team. He was preternaturally smart, accurately betting where his teammates would skate before they themselves made decisions.

UVA has two players, Shellenberger and Dickson, who have a similar impact on their teammates. They’re just smart af. It might not show up on a stat sheet (though it does), but these two guys are like watching two Lemieux’s play together, lifting everyone around them.

Is that getting out of hand!?? lol. Probably. But I’ll die on that hill for now.

As I said, to beat them an opponent will need to at least win the FO’s by 60-40. UVA’s offense simply won’t turn the ball over much.

I forgot to add one other wrinkle. An opponents goalie will need to have a save percentage above 45%.

Now having said all that, I think Ohio State is one team that can give them trouble. Maryland too.
molo

Post by molo »

OSU will definitely pose a serious test. Maryland has learned from the Loyola loss. UVA thus year is better than Duke so far, but Duke owns them in regular season games, and they play twice this year. No need to stir the pot about ND, but they look like a top five, maybe top three, team. SU and UNC may be behind the top three in the ACC, but they will beat a good team or two. Hopkins, though better than last year, could be in for another tough Tuesday when these two meet. I’m not too worried about the Leopards. Last year Richmond took UVA down.
While they should be favored in most of their games, this schedule is brutal. An off day against several of these teams could mean a loss.
Go to onemore’s assesssment on thesabre for an honest view from an avid fan.
Finster

Post by Finster »

molo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:12 pm OSU will definitely pose a serious test. Maryland has learned from the Loyola loss. UVA thus year is better than Duke so far, but Duke owns them in regular season games, and they play twice this year. No need to stir the pot about ND, but they look like a top five, maybe top three, team. SU and UNC may be behind the top three in the ACC, but they will beat a good team or two. Hopkins, though better than last year, could be in for another tough Tuesday when these two meet. I’m not too worried about the Leopards. Last year Richmond took UVA down.
While they should be favored in most of their games, this schedule is brutal. An off day against several of these teams could mean a loss.
Go to onemore’s assesssment on thesabre for an honest view from an avid fan.

Good post.

I’m having trouble figuring out if a Florida game helps OSU or UVA more, or if it’s a push.

I’ll see notre dame this weekend at Georgetown. Notre Dame is a team I rarely get to see live.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”