D1 Mens Lacrosse
FaceDodge

Re: MOUNT ST MARYS 2023

Post by FaceDodge »

It's called an endowment.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Some of the discussion around fully funding scholarships limits is a bit of a moot point at a place like MSM. It looks like the average discount rate on tuition is well above 50%, so the university itself gives out more "scholarship" money than a partial lacrosse scholarship ever would. The resource issue probably hurt more when considering things like assistant coaching pay, recruiting budget, and the like.

At a place like Villanova, which doesn't discount tuition so steeply, fully funding the scholarship piece probably would move the needle there. I'm not so sure it does at a place like the Mount.

The one ancillary benefit of a football program is the general facilities will be a lot nicer. The athletic support staff in general will be larger. The athletic experience will be better.
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

Villanova is a highly competitive institution in which to gain admittance. Most parents looking at VU view lacrosse as a means to get their son in the door. Very few families that are “shopping” for that type of school are concerned about the scholarship money. Getting in is the brass ring.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

D2fan wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:36 pm
ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:25 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:58 pm
Kiwilax wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:19 pm All seems very quiet on the coaching front here, any whispers as to who might be in the running
I am wondering the same thing. Wondering if it may be at least another month due to the new AD's tenure not officially beginning until then.
Friend on the board of trustees says the following

New AD is going to make the hire and he will be starting earlier than expected. The obvious answer will be him hiring Chris Ryan. Alumni do not want that. Which is going to be his push back especially in donations

Quite a few inquiries for the position from some really good schools but the alumni want “Someone who is a Mount alum” They either want Joe Connor or TC Dibartolo to “carry on Gravantes legacy” they want to keep it in the family”. In a perfect world they can get both as Connor coached Dibartolo or vice versa. New AD apparently has contacted both
I don’t think Ryan will be interested in the job. I was told his wife has a pretty big job in Erie. It’s the main reason he’s been at Mercyhurst for 23 years.
Mercyhurst probably pays more than the Mount would as well.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

backerzone wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:38 am
D2fan wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:36 pm
ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:25 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:58 pm
Kiwilax wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:19 pm All seems very quiet on the coaching front here, any whispers as to who might be in the running
I am wondering the same thing. Wondering if it may be at least another month due to the new AD's tenure not officially beginning until then.
Friend on the board of trustees says the following

New AD is going to make the hire and he will be starting earlier than expected. The obvious answer will be him hiring Chris Ryan. Alumni do not want that. Which is going to be his push back especially in donations

Quite a few inquiries for the position from some really good schools but the alumni want “Someone who is a Mount alum” They either want Joe Connor or TC Dibartolo to “carry on Gravantes legacy” they want to keep it in the family”. In a perfect world they can get both as Connor coached Dibartolo or vice versa. New AD apparently has contacted both
I don’t think Ryan will be interested in the job. I was told his wife has a pretty big job in Erie. It’s the main reason he’s been at Mercyhurst for 23 years.
Mercyhurst probably pays more than the Mount would as well.
I wouldn’t fully rule CR out. I don’t have any solid information on the Mount. BUT Ryan has been in the mix for several jobs over the past few years. His wife is either extremely close to retirement in the PA State system, or hit it and they are waiting for the right opportunity. Some people say he’s the front runner for Nova Southeaster. If The AD and him have a good relationship I bet you they entertain the conversation.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

What's taking so long? Heard the administration at the mount is in complete disarray right now
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

courtdog wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:21 am What's taking so long? Heard the administration at the mount is in complete disarray right now
Chris Jastrzembski tweeted out today
Have been told the Mount St. Mary's head coach search is down to a couple of finalists. We should find out more within the next week or 2.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:41 pm
courtdog wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:21 am What's taking so long? Heard the administration at the mount is in complete disarray right now
Have been told the Mount St. Mary's head coach search is down to a couple of finalists. We should find out more within the next week or 2.
Wouldn't be surprised if they are Mount family men Joe Connor and TC Dibartolo.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:01 pm
AreaLax wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:41 pm
Wouldn't be surprised if they are Mount family men Joe Connor and TC Dibartolo.
Wellner. Fabulous recruiter, innovative, always has strong defenses, strong ties to NY and local DMV, already has a Championship under his belt.....its time....assuming the terms that Mount can offer are beneficial.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

I highly doubt MSM pays the HC as much as ND pays the AC so Wellner might be a reach. But maybe he just wants to be the boss for a change or misses life in MD??? Still, I'd think the Mount will likely get a D3 HC or a lesser known D1 AC.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

relaxedfan wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:51 am I highly doubt MSM pays the HC as much as ND pays the AC so Wellner might be a reach. But maybe he just wants to be the boss for a change or misses life in MD??? Still, I'd think the Mount will likely get a D3 HC or a lesser known D1 AC.
JL Reppert Navy(OC) --> UMD(OC) --> HC,| Benson JHU(OC) --> UMD(OC) --> Providence, | Kirwan UVA(OC) --> Dartmouth. Each of three after a Natty heading to far lesser school WRT lacrosse, for the HC position.

If its a dIII coach, I had suggested Brandon Childs from York (a few pages back in this thread), who operates on a very small budget for extended staff and has the acumen of a high paced/O-flow program, and Dartmouth just hired Yorks DC Whitcher.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

I get your point, it's almost always a case that an AC needs to take a step back in level to take the step forward to become a HC. But... and there is always a but... you're comparing MSM to schools in the Patriot League, Big East, and Ivy League. Not exactly apples to oranges there. There are many factors in why someone would leave 1 job for another so I have no idea who is actually interested in MSM. I would guess the top level guys, like the some you mentioned, are willing to stay but until there are better opportunities, like the schools you mentioned.
I do agree that Childs from York would be a good get/fit for MSM. I'm not a huge fan but PC from Stevenson is nearby and can bring in talent, so maybe an option?
Sounds like there is a push for MSM to keep it in the family so maybe they go that rout? Not sure that makes them better but is less likely to blow up in their face than taking a risk.
Just my 2 cents. Interested to see how it plays out and hope they get a coach that is good for the athletes there.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Agree….will be interesting to see how this plays out. And frankly, the hire may say more about how MSM feels about lacrosse.
~Livy
Magbride14

Post by Magbride14 »

That is why Simon Conor from Nova wound be a really good fit for the HC position at MSM. Simon has experience being a part, for the last 16 years with a program that was not fully funded & has one of the smallest player rosters in all of Div 1 lacrosse, change could be a good thing for Simon, who has never really coached his high motion offense anywhere but Villanova
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Magbride14 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:09 am That is why Simon Conor from Nova wound be a really good fit for the HC position at MSM. Simon has experience being a part, for the last 16 years with a program that was not fully funded & has one of the smallest player rosters in all of Div 1 lacrosse, change could be a good thing for Simon, who has never really coached his high motion offense anywhere but Villanova
What’s your angle here? I feel like all your posts are either pitching Conor as an excellent candidate for a job opening, with his innovative high motion offense and Delbarton pipeline, OR complaining that Conor’s offense hasn’t evolved in years and is holding the team back because good coaches have figured out how to stifle it. Are you trying to sell him as a top candidate because you want him off your sideline :lol:
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Other than being a HC, I just don't see the allure of MSM. Again, unless someone is simply looking to be a HC. Doubt MSM(insert several other schools here, Hobart, for one) would be seen as a launch-pad to a better job..
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am Other than being a HC, I just don't see the allure of MSM. Again, unless someone is simply looking to be a HC. Doubt MSM(insert several other schools here, Hobart, for one) would be seen as a launch-pad to a better job..
Well Brecht aside, the MAAC is a little different for coaches than most other conferences m, especially the A10. If someone took Bart on a 2-4yr run of winning the A10 they'd suddenly be in the discussion for other gigs. Wray is the same though he hasn’t seriously entertained moving to my knowledge. That’s an element that makes it tough. Just don’t have that much movement up from MAAC by HCs.

A10 by comparison will be interesting as I’d guess three jobs turn in the next five years for a variety of reasons-cannella retiring, Chemotti getting a ACC/BigTen/Top IVY gig, Mearns getting old and between Wray, Torpey and Raymond one probably does something in next five years. So who comes into that league will tell a lot.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:01 am
FMUBart wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am Other than being a HC, I just don't see the allure of MSM. Again, unless someone is simply looking to be a HC. Doubt MSM(insert several other schools here, Hobart, for one) would be seen as a launch-pad to a better job..
Well Brecht aside, the MAAC is a little different for coaches than most other conferences m, especially the A10. If someone took Bart on a 2-4yr run of winning the A10 they'd suddenly be in the discussion for other gigs. Wray is the same though he hasn’t seriously entertained moving to my knowledge. That’s an element that makes it tough. Just don’t have that much movement up from MAAC by HCs.

A10 by comparison will be interesting as I’d guess three jobs turn in the next five years for a variety of reasons-cannella retiring, Chemotti getting a ACC/BigTen/Top IVY gig, Mearns getting old and between Wray, Torpey and Raymond one probably does something in next five years. So who comes into that league will tell a lot.
Funny, Brecht was the one guy that I was thinking about who was able to "launch" to a better HC job from the MAAC. There may be others? Not sure
Canisius to St Bonnies qualifies, but others may disagree.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:48 am

Funny, Brecht was the one guy that I was thinking about who was able to "launch" to a better HC job from the MAAC. There may be others? Not sure
Nelson from Marist to Binghamton? That didn’t go well though.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:48 am

At the time I thought Mearns to St Bona was a lateral. After all Bona joined the MAAC and an A10 conference was a dream.

Brecht was a unicorn. Very little success at Siena before or since. A great five years in the late 70s early 80s and Svec's success ended after Brecht's recruits graduated.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”