Michigan 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gunnerz

Re: Michigan 2021

Post by gunnerz »

Quint was absolutely correct in saying Michigan should have/needed to call a time out on its last possession. Not good coaching.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

gunnerz wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:05 pm Quint was absolutely correct in saying Michigan should have/needed to call a time out on its last possession. Not good coaching.
Yes Conry needs to learn. Did the samething last week
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:50 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:09 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:21 pm He was 10-6 in his third year and took over a program in the decline with what was deemed to be a bit too confident a type of player where he felt he needed to turn the entire roster over. And lost a top offensive player who transferred to UNC.
They did win like 2 games in Year 4 though. I mean, full scale worst season in decades type of stuff. And then 4 games in Year 5. There were absolutely people who thought he was going to get fired very soon after that and was a total bust. Finally getting the recruiting going and then one awesome assistant hire changed things.

Not saying Conry is going to do something similar; I'm as skeptical as you are. But it was as bad as it could get for Warne there in 16-17
(Didn’t they have a goalie issue and the aforementioned transfer to UNC plus some runoff) Right or wrong Warne was determined to blow up what Urick left. The third year is a surprise but a good coach taking over something in place, as Michigan did,should be able to pull a random 9-10 win season out of his a** even while restructuring a program in your image. Comparing Conry to Warne now is a disservice to good coaches who have actually built something. Like suggesting three weeks or so ago that Gilardi is the only reason Nadelen was successful.
I'm not saying Conry is as good a coach as Warne; I'm saying the two are not in dissimilar positions 4-5 years into their tenure. Warne took the next step and potentially this year could take another into F4 territory. We'll see if Conry does (I'm skeptical.)

And I have no clue who suggested Gilardi was the reason Nadelen was successful but that's dumb as turd.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Terry Foy twitter
I’m told that because Michigan lost to Rutgers by one, the goal-difference tie-breaker was tied and there’ll be a coin toss for seeds 5 & 6.

I love coin tosses for seeding.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Michigan twitter

NEWS: Following today's game, we won a coin flip with Johns Hopkins for the No. 5 seed in the @bigten tournament, and will head to Columbus to take on @OhioStateMLAX next weekend.

#GoBlue〽
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:16 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:50 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:09 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:21 pm He was 10-6 in his third year and took over a program in the decline with what was deemed to be a bit too confident a type of player where he felt he needed to turn the entire roster over. And lost a top offensive player who transferred to UNC.
They did win like 2 games in Year 4 though. I mean, full scale worst season in decades type of stuff. And then 4 games in Year 5. There were absolutely people who thought he was going to get fired very soon after that and was a total bust. Finally getting the recruiting going and then one awesome assistant hire changed things.

Not saying Conry is going to do something similar; I'm as skeptical as you are. But it was as bad as it could get for Warne there in 16-17
(Didn’t they have a goalie issue and the aforementioned transfer to UNC plus some runoff) Right or wrong Warne was determined to blow up what Urick left. The third year is a surprise but a good coach taking over something in place, as Michigan did,should be able to pull a random 9-10 win season out of his a** even while restructuring a program in your image. Comparing Conry to Warne now is a disservice to good coaches who have actually built something. Like suggesting three weeks or so ago that Gilardi is the only reason Nadelen was successful.
I'm not saying Conry is as good a coach as Warne; I'm saying the two are not in dissimilar positions 4-5 years into their tenure. Warne took the next step and potentially this year could take another into F4 territory. We'll see if Conry does (I'm skeptical.)

And I have no clue who suggested Gilardi was the reason Nadelen was successful but that's dumb as turd.
Farfromgeneva-. In no way was I comparing Conry and Warne. However, if Conry, a former DC, started doing consistently well as soon as pretty much all of the talent was his, it would be somewhat deja vu. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, folks, it was me who brought up Gilardi and Nadelen together. And no, I did not imply that Gilardi was the only reason Nadelen was successful. I meant to say that Gilardi definitely played a nice part in their success in sometime. And him leaving was a big loss, and that Towson's inconsistency the past couple of years, while not completely, could have been partly due to that.
Last edited by gymman1031 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Nice showing against Rutgers. Should provide some positivity going up against the Buckeyes. A win at Columbus would constitute a successful season.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

calourie wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:09 pm Nice showing against Rutgers. Should provide some positivity going up against the Buckeyes. A win at Columbus would constitute a successful season.
Absolutely! And serious momentum going into 2022!
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:29 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:57 pm Splitting hairs. It’s just not that simple. Took OSU and PSU decades to break through.
The talent on offense is clearly there and they’ve had some good wins last few years but the defense, which is supposed to be Conry’s calling card, has routinely just been Not Good.

I think the fact they’ve recruited so well under him, at least on offense, gives you optimism that with the right coach they can be successful but jury is absolutely still out as to whether he’s the right coach.

Next year will probably be the revealer. Impossible to predict what teams will look like right now but lot of B1G teams could be losing some great seniors. Door will be open for a younger Michigan team to do something more than 1 win out of 5
Not sure about this. They have not scored enough goals so how can one say the offense is there. Granted, defensively it’s been a nightmare, but when does someone say ... isn’t the HC responsible? I don’t think this is an issue of replacing an assistant. That’s a cop out when both sides of the ball are struggling. They did fix the face off so they’ve had a ton more chances offensively. There is plenty of talent, and he’s probably overlooking what he has. It’s a coaching issue. Look at the blown moments in the games they were able to keep lose. Big 10 is loaded with great coaches, and it’s tough to compete—look at Hopkins after the change. If Michigan is smart, they dial the 410 area code and talk to a guy whose won the Natty to see if he’d be willing to come in for several years and get the program on track.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:57 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:57 pm Splitting hairs. It’s just not that simple. Took OSU and PSU decades to break through.
The talent on offense is clearly there and they’ve had some good wins last few years but the defense, which is supposed to be Conry’s calling card, has routinely just been Not Good.

I think the fact they’ve recruited so well under him, at least on offense, gives you optimism that with the right coach they can be successful but jury is absolutely still out as to whether he’s the right coach.

Next year will probably be the revealer. Impossible to predict what teams will look like right now but lot of B1G teams could be losing some great seniors. Door will be open for a younger Michigan team to do something more than 1 win out of 5
Not sure about this. They have not scored enough goals so how can one say the offense is there. Granted, defensively it’s been a nightmare, but when does someone say ... isn’t the HC responsible? I don’t think this is an issue of replacing an assistant. That’s a cop out when both sides of the ball are struggling. They did fix the face off so they’ve had a ton more chances offensively. There is plenty of talent, and he’s probably overlooking what he has. It’s a coaching issue. Look at the blown moments in the games they were able to keep lose. Big 10 is loaded with great coaches, and it’s tough to compete—look at Hopkins after the change. If Michigan is smart, they dial the 410 area code and talk to a guy whose won the Natty to see if he’d be willing to come in for several years and get the program on track.
I never said the HC wasn't responsible. I said they recruited good offensive players (Boehm, Zawada, Clay, Mack and Buckanavage before that.) Boehm and Zawada were 5-stars who everyone wanted. And they've played well.

But their defense has been bad under him for years. As I said. Which is obviously his fault, it's supposed to be his specialty.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:57 pm

Maybe they should go for it if Conry doesn't last much longer. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Petro, if he does coach again, goes the Mike Pressler way:

-takes a head coaching job for a program that is new to, or on the verge of, going DI, and/or takes a head coaching job at a smaller school in a lesser conference
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Ryan Schrieber was selected for the COVID cancelled 2020 U19 world team. Andrew Darby is a very solid, experienced pole, hard to say they do not have talent or have not recruited well on D either. Everyone has talent these days, it seems they just have trouble putting it together.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:41 pm Ryan Schrieber was selected for the COVID cancelled 2020 U19 world team. Andrew Darby is a very solid, experienced pole, hard to say they do not have talent or have not recruited well on D either. Everyone has talent these days, it seems they just have trouble putting it together.
Yes, that is true. I am just willing to give Conry time until pretty much all the talent is his. However, that time is getting short!
laxfan355

Post by laxfan355 »

gymman1031 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:33 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:41 pm Ryan Schrieber was selected for the COVID cancelled 2020 U19 world team. Andrew Darby is a very solid, experienced pole, hard to say they do not have talent or have not recruited well on D either. Everyone has talent these days, it seems they just have trouble putting it together.
Yes, that is true. I am just willing to give Conry time until pretty much all the talent is his. However, that time is getting short!
All the talent is his now.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

laxfan355 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:14 pm
No, it isn't. The seniors, whether fifth-year or not, aren't his. And some of the juniors most likely committed in 2017, meaning they were recruited by former coach John Paul. 2017 was Paul's last season. Next year, a lot more of the talent will be Conry's.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Excellent performance and win by the Wolverines! And, to show how young they are, almost every point was scored underclass players. Most of them freshman and sophomores.
molo

Post by molo »

Great win by a Wolverines team that is trending in the right direction against a Buckeyes team that looked promising early in the season but just never seemed to put it together. Hopkins almost upset Maryland. Can the Woverines?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:45 pm Excellent performance and win by the Wolverines! And, to show how young they are, almost every point was scored underclass players. Most of them freshman and sophomores.
Congratulations to Coach Conry. He has Michigan moving in the right direction.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:45 pm Excellent performance and win by the Wolverines! And, to show how young they are, almost every point was scored by underclass players. Most of them freshman and sophomores.
calourie

Post by calourie »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:44 pm
laxfan355 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:14 pm
No, it isn't. The seniors, whether fifth-year or not, aren't his. And some of the juniors most likely committed in 2017, meaning they were recruited by former coach John Paul. 2017 was Paul's last season. Next year, a lot more of the talent will be Conry's.
Really nice game by Michigan today. Good effort all over the field. Next step for the program is to play like that consistently. I've been following them fairly closely since they became a regular on Yale's schedule, and over that span they have always seemed to have some decent talent. Now it looks like they are starting to believe in themselves. Not sure how their zone will hold up against Maryland, but at least we get a chance to find out. Go Wolverines.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”