The DOGS Thread

General Chatter
DMac

Re: The DOGS thread is back.

Post by DMac »

Dogs are simply amazing creatures, man is very lucky to have them around.
This dog is worth more than a stack of hundred dollar bills that reaches from
here to the moon to this little girl and to her mother who worries about her
24/7/365 (not an exaggeratertion, believe me).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxUHGzCZFTA
Give a dog a bone today just because.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

OK. Just one more kitty vid (for now):

🐈 🐈 🐈
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

cute pooches to brighten up your week:

:D
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Some more cuteness....albeit a little cruel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPCsA5cViLM
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

enterprising pooch asks for treats

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Pooch and Princess serenade you:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Show us your kitties:

http://www.fox9.com/news/-show-us-your- ... ighborhood

Folks in Minneapolis walk just to see kitties by the window. :D

DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, it's game changer day, Young Son brought the new puppy home yesterday (was just a matter of time).
Here's Mommy, "Raven"...she's a beauty:

Here's the pup (best I've got at the moment), Talon (don't like the name, gson named him...Talon goes with the bird theme, but Raven is about black, not birds...no I didn't say anything about it. I would have named him Canine) Son got the dog from his buddy who breeds them, the hunters around love these dogs, sells 'em for more than $1K apiece. Buddy owed my son a favor or two (everyone does, kid's got too big of a heart) sold it to him for $200...probably cost you that much for a rescue dog these days. Lives in the middle of nowhere with lots of room to run and tons of stuff to chase. Good spot for a Lab...might not like the 5,6,7 cats he's gotta live with but it's all good.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes sir, this looks more like a complete Lab picture:
Needless to say, the ball will be replaced with a lacrosse ball when he gets a little older.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Beautiful.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
laxman3221

Post by laxman3221 »

Vail Shootout Champion 2017, 2018
Lake Placid Classic Champion 2018, 2019
Florida Lacrosse Classic Champion 2018 X2, 2019 x2
Who doesn't love ice cream!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:02 am Well, it's game changer day, Young Son brought the new puppy home yesterday (was just a matter of time).
Here's Mommy, "Raven"...she's a beauty:

Here's the pup (best I've got at the moment), Talon (don't like the name, gson named him...Talon goes with the bird theme, but Raven is about black, not birds...no I didn't say anything about it. I would have named him Canine) Son got the dog from his buddy who breeds them, the hunters around love these dogs, sells 'em for more than $1K apiece. Buddy owed my son a favor or two (everyone does, kid's got too big of a heart) sold it to him for $200...probably cost you that much for a rescue dog these days. Lives in the middle of nowhere with lots of room to run and tons of stuff to chase. Good spot for a Lab...might not like the 5,6,7 cats he's gotta live with but it's all good.
Looks like that pup will do just fine with the cats and they with him.
Big Lab family here, great family dogs as well as good hunters if raised right.
Some folks think you have to choose between family and hunting, but that's a lot of hooey.
All our dogs got along just fine with the cats, though every once in awhile we'd have a barn cat show up who was more skittish.
Slept together, palled around when young. That's the key, early exposure.

Enjoy!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Hooey indeed, Labs can go from family dog to hunting mode in about one word. Lot of goose and duck hunters out this way, have known many a Lab.
Found this pretty funny, friend of mine and his dog, Remi the black lab, were out at my son's place (which is right down the road from Goose Heaven where people pay to hunt). Some pideons flew by and my buddy shot one. The dog went and got it but you had to see the look on his face. If he could talk, I'd swear he was saying wth is this? Dog's used to a whole lot more bird than a pidgeon (ate that pidgeon...must say, it was pretty tasty). Buddy's a pretty big hunter and Remi's a pretty good bird dog.
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:58 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:02 am Looks like that pup will do just fine with the cats and they with him.
Ya think?
Big Lab family here, great family dogs as well as good hunters if raised right.
Some folks think you have to choose between family and hunting, but that's a lot of hooey.
All our dogs got along just fine with the cats, though every once in awhile we'd have a barn cat show up who was more skittish.
Slept together, palled around when young. That's the key, early exposure.

Enjoy!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Too much cuteness!

DMac

Post by DMac »

Gotta start 'em young, little guy was all about that lax ball (kinda found that stick as something he'd like to chew on too...not a snowball's chance in hell that happened though). Sure don't have to teach a Lab to fetch (anymore than you do a German Shepherd), that ranks real high on my list of priorities with a dog, catching too. Stupid arse Huskie (she was a sweetie though...despite being neurotic) he had before this one just looked at you when you tossed something, and you'd end up hitting her in the nose if you tossed something to her to catch...good for pulling sleds, but that's about it).

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac, here is a column by the TImes's Frank Bruni, in response to commentary he got back from a column he wrote about loving dogs -- as all decent people must:

"A writer isn’t taking big risks when he declares himself in favor of … dogs. And so, predictably, my column last weekend about the virtues of venturing out into the world with a four-legged companion elicited a bevy of responses from canine-besotted readers who agreed with and thanked me.

But it also drew the following dissent, which said that it “did not give a balanced view of the effects of dogs on our culture, public spaces and environment.” That came in an email from Dan and Vicky Graybill of Mesa, Ariz., who gave me permission to quote from it.

Their email — which I’ve edited and condensed — continued: “I’m glad Mr. Bruni enjoys his dog. What he fails to acknowledge — which most dog owners also fail to recognize — is that those spaces are being taken over by people with their dogs, making them unpleasant and sometimes even dangerous. Those of us who do not like dogs are forced to smile and say, ‘What a nice doggy!’ Or have them run up to our grandchildren. Or step in dogs’ poo and listen to them bark-bark-bark. What fun! Try cycling where people are also walking their dogs, with leashes that extend over the entire trail.”

The Graybills are generalizing broadly based on the worst, most heedless dog owners’ behavior, but they have a valid point. They also get at something important about the sometimes blinkered behavior of people in a clan that is convinced of its own goodness.

Take cyclists, whom the Graybills brought up. I’ve lost count of the number of times here in New York City that I’ve almost been hit by one who ignored a red light and zoomed through an intersection or who zipped down a park footpath in violation of signs instructing people on bikes to dismount.

These riders are a minority, and I can’t read their thoughts. But I’ve listened to enough other cyclists compliment themselves (justly) on their positive contribution to car traffic and the environment that I bet a few of them feel entitled to break rules. They’re the heroes, after all! Astride a vehicle of virtue, there can be no vice.

One recent interaction is stamped in my mind. As my dog, Regan, and I ambled through our neighborhood, I distractedly let her leash lengthen more than I should have, so we were taking up half the breadth of the sidewalk. An approaching cyclist braked theatrically, let out a huff and glared at us. “Sorry, sorry, sorry,” I stammered, mortified, and I yanked Regan to my side so that the cyclist could pass. Only seconds later did I realize: Wait, only one of us is even supposed to be on the sidewalk, and that’s me. She was riding her bike where that’s expressly forbidden, with a perfectly fine street at her disposal just feet away.

There’s a strain of such self-regard in a few of us dog folks, too. We sometimes overlook the fact that a source of joy for us can be a hindrance or nuisance to others. And while most of us, from my observation, are appropriately dutiful about scooping our dogs’ poop, some of us aren’t as quick as we should be to quiet our dogs when they become loud. We’re not vigilant enough about making sure they don’t rush up to unsuspecting and unreceptive strangers. And we’re surprised, even offended, when one of those strangers admonishes us.

I’m a bit baffled, to be honest, by people who don’t love dogs, and that’s precisely why I need to remind myself that they’re baffled by me. They look at Regan and see a shedding, panting four-legged menace. But let’s resolve not to tell her that. She’s a delicate soul."
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's pretty good, sc, thanks. The bicyclers should be damn glad it's not pre leash law times when dogs chased your a*z*z when you were out for a ride, they seemed to get a damn big thrill out of that. You sure learned which houses you needed to get a big head of steam up for when going by as you knew ol' Rover was coming out to chase your a*z*z. :lol:
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

When my son worked at St George’s in Newport his black labs would sneak off to the tennis courts, snag a couple of balls and race down to Second Beach, where they’d drop them at the feet of strangers to throw for them.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”