The National Governing Body of Lacrosse

Lacrosse Rules and Equipment
dislaxxic

The National Governing Body of Lacrosse

Post by dislaxxic »

US Lacrosse was formed in, what? 2009...out of what was previously a bunch of separate groups like the Lacrosse Foundation, what was then known as the NILOA, Men's coaches groups (which were pretty loosely federated at the time, i think) and the Women's Coaches groups, which were MUCH more organized at the time, especially with respect to the rules of their game and how they trained and certified their officials. Anyone here a part of that transition? It was not always a pretty process, with entrenched groups wishing to protect their turf. I've heard the process described as "trying to herd cats"...

In my opinion, the biggest way USL impacts todays game in in their direct rule-writing function at the youth level of our game. More and more, we see youth rules promulgated by USL trickle up into the NFHS game, and on a more limited basis, into the college game.

Hooping to start a conversation about how people feel about our game's National Governing Body, pro and con, and beyond...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
HooDat

Re: The National Governing Body of Lacrosse

Post by HooDat »

I have not been a fan. The local groups tend to be the lacrosse equivalent of neighborhood associations with the person who has the most time to waste, rather than the most to contribute, making all the decisions.

US Lacrosse, the national organization, has not struck me as much different. It seems to be behaving like any bureaucracy - it has grown for its own sake rather than the sake of the sport. You get folks in who want to make a career in lacrosse - they look for things to do and ways to expand their sphere of influence.

I would be much happier if coaches and officials were doing the work - because they have "other things to do" and therefore would feel less of a need to make work for themselves as a way to expand their sphere of influence.

A "representative" system that was comprised of youth league directors, Varsity high school coaches, and collegiate coaches and players strikes me as the best organizational structure. Local bodies that put forward a representative to a regional body, that puts forward representatives to a national body...
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Interesting input Hoo...curious if you know whether (and which?) governing bodies in other sports do it the way you suggest...
HooDat wrote:A "representative" system that was comprised of youth league directors, Varsity high school coaches, and collegiate coaches and players strikes me as the best organizational structure. Local bodies that put forward a representative to a regional body, that puts forward representatives to a national body...
I think there are such groups represented in the current iteration of the NGB...as "unofficial" volunteer bodies at least, up and down the structure of USL now...

Also, you didn't intentionally mean to exclude Officials from you list now, did you?? :D ;)

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

dislaxxic wrote:Also, you didn't intentionally mean to exclude Officials from you list now, did you?? :D ;)
oh, shoot. No I didn't. In fact, I thought I typed that in. I must have been editing cut it by mistake. Officials (or the declining supply of quality ones) is the biggest challenge I think the game faces right now. (esp since we seem to have put theWarrior Lax Bro culture behind us)
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Spenny

Post by Spenny »

dislaxxic wrote:Interesting input Hoo...curious if you know whether (and which?) governing bodies in other sports do it the way you suggest...
HooDat wrote:A "representative" system that was comprised of youth league directors, Varsity high school coaches, and collegiate coaches and players strikes me as the best organizational structure. Local bodies that put forward a representative to a regional body, that puts forward representatives to a national body...
I think there are such groups represented in the current iteration of the NGB...as "unofficial" volunteer bodies at least, up and down the structure of USL now...

Also, you didn't intentionally mean to exclude Officials from you list now, did you?? :D ;)

i think thats pretty much how the chapter system works.
USL was formed in 98 not 08

glad to be back arguing with you guys
spenny

Return to “LACROSSE RULES AND EQUIPMENT”