Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Don’t worry about Boston College...

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:11 pm

A team has to win the national championship at least once to be considered elite in my sports world. To compete at a high level isn’t enough. Virginia is a perfect example. They typically play one of the toughest, if not the toughest, schedule for the regular season and therefore typically have a high RPI. But when it comes to the ACC conference championship and the national championship, they are nowhere to be found. There are a number of other schools that fit into that category as well. Not elite.
A quick check of Wikipedia shows Virginia with 3 national championships in Women's Lacrosse..the latest in 2004. 4 finals in 5 years from 2003-2007. Maybe you mean in the last decade?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:06 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:11 pm

A team has to win the national championship at least once to be considered elite in my sports world. To compete at a high level isn’t enough. Virginia is a perfect example. They typically play one of the toughest, if not the toughest, schedule for the regular season and therefore typically have a high RPI. But when it comes to the ACC conference championship and the national championship, they are nowhere to be found. There are a number of other schools that fit into that category as well. Not elite.
A quick check of Wikipedia shows Virginia with 3 national championships in Women's Lacrosse..the latest in 2004. 4 finals in 5 years from 2003-2007. Maybe you mean in the last decade?
I do. I thought in the context that was clear. I should say what I mean a little better next time.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:33 pm
I do. I thought in the context that was clear. I should say what I mean a little better next time.
Just pulling your chain :mrgreen:
Doid23

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Doid23 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:29 am Isn't anyone somewhat suspicious of 3 players of that caliber ALL transferring to BC? Doesn't that raise anyone's hackles just a bit? And why would a player be willing to sit a year?
I don't know about suspicious, but I get your point. And as a fan, I agree, along with some of the comments about the same teams winning year after year (ex JMU), the rich getting richer, etc. As to sitting a year? I could accept that, but I could not accept losing a year of eligibility
But on the other hand, why should college be any different than other walks of life? If a player wants to move to another college, whether due to better fit, playing time, chance to challenge for a title, personal, etc, and someone wants them, why shouldn't they be able to? Why should they be locked into a decision they made as a teenager with imperfect information? Nobody cares about non-athletes transferring, why should we care about athletes transferring?
I understand that women's lax is not at the level of D1 college football, but something that did raise my hackles is when Nick Saban complained yesterday about the transfer portal creating "free agency" for players. Well, he's certainly a free agent (and an extremely well compensated one at that), why shouldn't the players be as well?
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

What exactly is the Transfer Portal? Would anyone explain it to me in layman‘s terms? When did it become “law“?
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

I believe it was enacted last year. Player has to submit request to their schools compliance officer, who cannot deny the request, and post it to the portal within a few days. Basically, allows a player to make everyone aware that they are open to transferring (although going into the portal doesn't mean that you have to transfer), and schools are then allowed to reach out to players if they are interested.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Doid23 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:19 pm I believe it was enacted last year. Player has to submit request to their schools compliance officer, who cannot deny the request, and post it to the portal within a few days. Basically, allows a player to make everyone aware that they are open to transferring (although going into the portal doesn't mean that you have to transfer), and schools are then allowed to reach out to players if they are interested.
Thank you.

North must have gotten bombarded with responses, unless she had already decided on BC and had assurances that they wanted her. Would the player be able to reach out to the coach of another team to gauge interest before going into the portal?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:31 pm What exactly is the Transfer Portal? Would anyone explain it to me in layman‘s terms? When did it become “law“?
It’s like free agency in baseball, but player may have to sit a year if they transfer within the conference they are already in
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxnut wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:31 pm
Doid23 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:19 pm I believe it was enacted last year. Player has to submit request to their schools compliance officer, who cannot deny the request, and post it to the portal within a few days. Basically, allows a player to make everyone aware that they are open to transferring (although going into the portal doesn't mean that you have to transfer), and schools are then allowed to reach out to players if they are interested.
Thank you.

North must have gotten bombarded with responses, unless she had already decided on BC and had assurances that they wanted her. Would the player be able to reach out to the coach of another team to gauge interest before going into the portal?
I would think that with a player of her caliber, she had discussions prior to entry in the portal. That is was just a formality. JMO
crusader

Post by crusader »

Coaches can not contact a player until in the portal.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

I heard that it was looking good that North go to Syracuse, much discussion and a fellow player from Texas school she went to. A conversation with someone on coaching team sealed deal at BC.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

crusader wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:29 pm Coaches can not contact a player until in the portal.
Well i may be naive, but i cant see North just throwing her name into a portal and then contacting BC. Or waiting for BC to call. If i was going to leave Duke, i would want to know i had somewhere to land before i pulled that rip cord/burned that bridge.

Again, just my naive, pessimistic opinion. I am most likely wrong...
Doid23

Post by Doid23 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:32 pm
crusader wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:29 pm Coaches can not contact a player until in the portal.
Well i may be naive, but i cant see North just throwing her name into a portal and then contacting BC. Or waiting for BC to call. If i was going to leave Duke, i would want to know i had somewhere to land before i pulled that rip cord/burned that bridge.

Remember, entering the portal does not mean you have to leave your current school. A football player at Alabama did it, and decided to stay.
With a player of her caliber, there had to be a confidence that she would receive a lot of interest.
shootingspace

Post by shootingspace »

Doid23 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:07 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Remember, entering the portal does not mean you have to leave your current school. A football player at Alabama did it, and decided to stay.
With a player of her caliber, there had to be a confidence that she would receive a lot of interest.
Just giving the actual rule-you can make believe you know that she illegally made contact.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

shootingspace wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:36 pm you can make believe you know that she illegally made contact.
I dont know anything and I am not going to get drawn into an escalation. You are correct, my assumption was wrong.
laxrat1976

Post by laxrat1976 »

Charlotte North is going to BC. BC lost a chunk of its defense and the Big 3. She has to sit out a year and doesn’t have a solid picture of what the Eagles will look like in a year.

She entered the transfer portal for at least one of the following reasons

1. Be closer to home. That’s not the case here

2. She didn’t feel loved enough by coaching staff. Probably part of it since she is leaving

3. She wants to be at a program that is competing for title. Dukes been down for the last few years so this is my guess for the main reason she wanted to leave.

Once in the transfer portal #2 becomes a bigger issue as well.

She’s a very confident player. I think she thought MD UNC Northwestern Cuse would be all about getting her into their program. She has the stats to show she’s a great player. But I think the programs I listed. Mainly the first two didn’t want anything to do with her. While I’m sure they respect her skills I think they see some red flags and didn’t want to deal with them.

I don’t see BC being the same power without the Three. I hope North does well for herself and team. But I think it’s a mediocre move for her in the long term.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

laxrat1976 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:19 am She’s a very confident player. I think she thought MD UNC Northwestern Cuse would be all about getting her into their program. She has the stats to show she’s a great player. But I think the programs I listed. Mainly the first two didn’t want anything to do with her.

I’m curious to know your theories/thoughts on why Maryland and UNC didn’t want anything to do with her.

While I’m sure they respect her skills I think they see some red flags and didn’t want to deal with them.

What kind of red flags?

I don’t see BC being the same power without the Three. I hope North does well for herself and team. But I think it’s a mediocre move for her in the long term.

Would it have been equally mediocre if she had gone to Syracuse or NU?
Delco Transplant

Post by Delco Transplant »

I can’t speak as to Northwestern. But I have heard from fellow players of North that she wanted to transfer to a national title contender, especially MD, but MD did not want her. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Coach Kimel at Duke (DELCO, PA native!). Her program may be down a bit but her players are quality young women on and off the field and Kimel is a quality coach with a strong principles and integrity. Not sure North’s arrogant style fit in well with Duke. Appears to have been a mutual parting of ways.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Really surprising she didn’t go to NU where her style of play better fit, several Texas players already there, have a lot of pieces ready to be a final four team, no waiting period and a top 15 school academically.
laxrat1976

Post by laxrat1976 »

wlaxnut wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:40 am
laxrat1976 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:19 am She’s a very confident player. I think she thought MD UNC Northwestern Cuse would be all about getting her into their program. She has the stats to show she’s a great player. But I think the programs I listed. Mainly the first two didn’t want anything to do with her.

I’m curious to know your theories/thoughts on why Maryland and UNC didn’t want anything to do with her.

While I’m sure they respect her skills I think they see some red flags and didn’t want to deal with them.

What kind of red flags?

Would it have been equally mediocre if she had gone to Syracuse or NU?
Delco transplant hit on the red flag that I think UMD and UNC saw. Watch what happens every time she scored a goal. It was like she won the national title on a last second shot. Didn't matter the game situation, losing, winning, etc.

She is a very gifted player. I've seen her do things that I'm still not sure how she pulled it off. But do programs that have the team chemistry like UMD and UNC want to risk bringing her in and hoping she fits in. Doubt it. They've already got rosters full of great players.

Would it have been mediocre at Cuse or NU? Not sure, but for kids making a transfer decision, there is a lot of 'grass is greener' elsewhere.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”