Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

LandM wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:38 am MD
No one who has spent any time calls San Francisco or the City - San Fran. That is a HUGE rookie mistake😄 That is what us poor folk call an Ivy League move😎
Or Frisco apparently.

I was just abbreviating, should have used SF or, if a nickname, "the City".

I guess the natives are a bit touchy. Yes, I'm just a tourist.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:05 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:53 am
OCanada wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:44 am The failed economic states like AL, LA.KS etc need CA to be a high growth economic success so they can be net users of those fed tax dollars. That said RE prices are high because demand is high. Demand is high because people want to live there among other reasons because there is better opportunity. In general people find they cooperate better and diversity boosts productivity
Yup.
Which is why it made me chuckle to hear how undesirable San Fran is according to the Manhattan Institute pub.
Not sure men an women are openly defecating on the streets in Alabama Louisianna or Kansas. Downtown outside expensive restaurants and office towers. Or that there are used hypodermics everywhere in the streets.

But I guess its what you're willing to accept as symbols of productivety and affluence.
Huh, you been to New Orleans or pretty much anywhere in Alabama?
Pooping? Needles?
I don't know about Kansas City, haven't been there.

But your point that it's darn unattractive to see someone pooping in the street, or to step in it for that matter, or to have to dodge needles, is all very fair. No argument.

Same too for property crime. Sounds like they have some real issues.

But the right-wing exagerration is flat ridiculous.
It destroys the legitimacy of any point to be made.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Sheesh I had an uncle who live there. I have friends kids who live there. Not one of them has ever mentioned it and I never witnessed it either. Which is not to say it never happens but when your motivational thinking drives your selection bias it’s what you end up with. It a fav approach of the right wing.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

So is Baltimore a success? Because it has been under Democrat rule and sucking off the teat of Baltimore, Montgomery, Howard and Harford Counties for a couple decades now. Just curious how I should feel about Baltimore is comparison to the states you listed.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

thatsmell wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:51 am So is Baltimore a success? Because it has been under Democrat rule and sucking off the teat of Baltimore, Montgomery, Howard and Harford Counties for a couple decades now. Just curious how I should feel about Baltimore is comparison to the states you listed.
If you are responding to me, thatsmell, those were the states that 6ft cited, not me. I was just responding to those specifics.

On Baltimore, you and I probably agree that we've had a whole series of either inept or corrupt or overly racialized (or a combination) leaders of my city (I say 'my' because, though I live in Baltimore County, I consider Charm City my city. Born and raised half my childhood in the City, went to elementary, middle and high school in the City, sent my son to those same schools, worked downtown for a number of years, enjoy the cultural institutions, restaurants, etc, serve on boards of orgs focused on the City.

I don't correlate that ineptness to D vs R, but I do think one party rule has inherent issues. It invites/protects ineptitude and corruption.

But the issues of Baltimore are far more complex than just the elected leadership (I think Willy Don Schaefer was our last truly effective elected leader).

I'm sure we could have a really interesting discussion of the corruption of those officials by big monied interests, primarily real estate oriented, and how that led, from a policy perspective, to tax breaks for the big commercial property owners, while elevating tax rates on residential ownership. Huge error. Both SF and Boston were in far worse shape in the 70's than Baltimore. But we went the direction of raising residential rates, while they actually decreased. (All 3 under Dem elected leadership.)

Or we could discuss the effects of redlining, both institutionally protected through even the '70's, and de facto even today.

Or we could discuss the ridiculousness of the artificial division of Baltimore from its surrounding counties, for which it is indeed the city centre for the region.

Or we could discuss the cowardice and downright treachery of business executives who sold great anchor corporations to more ambitious acquirers in order to personally get ridiculously rich, but destroying the employment and philanthropic base.

Lots of topics a cold beer and some time could cover.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

San Francisco bans plastic straws but distributes FREE hypodermic needles to addicts who throw them in the streets after use.

https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles ... s-stirrers

What a country!

SAN FRANCISCO — San Francisco hands out millions of syringes a year to drug users but has little control over how they are discarded and that’s contributing to thousands of complaints.

The city distributes an estimated 400,000 syringes each month through various programs aimed at reducing HIV and other health risks for drug users. About 246,000 syringes are discarded through the city’s 13 syringe access and disposal sites. But thousands of the others end up on streets, in parks and other public areas, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Thursday
.—New York Post/Associated Press May 11, 2018
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

First SF is not a country.

Trash disposal of all kinds of things can be a problem. Look at say plastic in the ocean or cargo ships dumping waste or corporations dumping toxic chemicals into air and water because regulations have been weakened
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Come on there has to be a few of you liberal progressives who'll applaud the city of Los Angeles democrats for legislating TYPHUS (and maybe the black plague) back into our 21st century civilization.

After 31.5 million dollars litigated with the homeless in LA, City & State democrats are left with the same homeless ghetto, 125 cases of TYPHUS and all the rats you could ever want. Typhus boys and girls. Enough rats to have some health experts worried about the plaque.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... ch+Results

https://ktla.com/2019/05/11/los-angeles ... last-year/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ty ... ea-n917271

And democrats tell us they can clean up the carbon levels of the entire planet. But they can't clean up 50 square blocks in a city they've controlled for decades.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

OCanada wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:44 am The failed economic states like AL, LA.KS etc need CA to be a high growth economic success so they can be net users of those fed tax dollars. That said RE prices are high because demand is high. Demand is high because people want to live there among other reasons because there is better opportunity. In general people find they cooperate better and diversity boosts productivity
The word you are looking for is "civilized". San Francisco is civilized.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:13 am
thatsmell wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:51 am So is Baltimore a success? Because it has been under Democrat rule and sucking off the teat of Baltimore, Montgomery, Howard and Harford Counties for a couple decades now. Just curious how I should feel about Baltimore is comparison to the states you listed.
If you are responding to me, thatsmell, those were the states that 6ft cited, not me. I was just responding to those specifics.

On Baltimore, you and I probably agree that we've had a whole series of either inept or corrupt or overly racialized (or a combination) leaders of my city (I say 'my' because, though I live in Baltimore County, I consider Charm City my city. Born and raised half my childhood in the City, went to elementary, middle and high school in the City, sent my son to those same schools, worked downtown for a number of years, enjoy the cultural institutions, restaurants, etc, serve on boards of orgs focused on the City.

I don't correlate that ineptness to D vs R, but I do think one party rule has inherent issues. It invites/protects ineptitude and corruption.

But the issues of Baltimore are far more complex than just the elected leadership (I think Willy Don Schaefer was our last truly effective elected leader).

I'm sure we could have a really interesting discussion of the corruption of those officials by big monied interests, primarily real estate oriented, and how that led, from a policy perspective, to tax breaks for the big commercial property owners, while elevating tax rates on residential ownership. Huge error. Both SF and Boston were in far worse shape in the 70's than Baltimore. But we went the direction of raising residential rates, while they actually decreased. (All 3 under Dem elected leadership.)

Or we could discuss the effects of redlining, both institutionally protected through even the '70's, and de facto even today.

Or we could discuss the ridiculousness of the artificial division of Baltimore from its surrounding counties, for which it is indeed the city centre for the region.

Or we could discuss the cowardice and downright treachery of business executives who sold great anchor corporations to more ambitious acquirers in order to personally get ridiculously rich, but destroying the employment and philanthropic base.

Yup, feel pretty much the same way. Baltimore, like Detroit and other early 20th century industrial centers developed its significant economic problems during my lifetime. Economic trends caused the problem, the politicians failed, by giving the white population what they wanted. Significantly assisted by real estate developers, local business men, county residents and politicians and most significantly the inherent (soft) racism of too much of the area population.

The two cities I have spent the largest fractions of my life in, are Baltimore and San Francisco. Moving between the two areas a number of times. The difference is night and day. If Baltimore had been just a little more like San Francisco in terms of its population's acceptance of "the other", Baltimore would be a significantly better place today.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:03 pm

Yup, feel pretty much the same way. Baltimore, like Detroit and other early 20th century industrial centers developed its significant economic problems during my lifetime. Economic trends caused the problem, the politicians failed, by giving the white population what they wanted. Significantly assisted by real estate developers, local business men, county residents and politicians and most significantly the inherent (soft) racism of too much of the area population.

The two cities I have spent the largest fractions of my life in, are Baltimore and San Francisco. Moving between the two areas a number of times. The difference is night and day. If Baltimore had been just a little more like San Francisco in terms of its population's acceptance of "the other", Baltimore would be a significantly better place today.
Yes, redlining was a huge factor. Both governmentally endorsed and de facto.
Is that what you are referring to by: "...giving the white population what they wanted." ?

The raising of residential property tax rates, though, may have been the single biggest impetus for white flight (and later middle class black flight), though certainly the riots of the late 60's were a factor as well.

You may also be referring to the surrounding counties' 'soft racism', the unwillingness by too many to see Baltimore as worth investing in, always attacking the challenges of urban poverty and violence as an African American cultural issue rather than endemic to poverty period. Still that way.

On the more macro economic level, the shift in industrialization, and most notably the loss of the steel industry hurt immensely. But we were also incredibly ill-served by a whole slew of corporate leaders too busy putting dough in their own pockets, rather than growing their business nationally and internationally. Became the acquired. Lost corporate HQ's.

There are paths back, but it's gonna be a battle, and not a sure thing that that the stars will align.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

6ftstick wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:40 am Come on there has to be a few of you liberal progressives who'll applaud the city of Los Angeles democrats for legislating TYPHUS (and maybe the black plague) back into our 21st century civilization.

After 31.5 million dollars litigated with the homeless in LA, City & State democrats are left with the same homeless ghetto, 125 cases of TYPHUS and all the rats you could ever want. Typhus boys and girls. Enough rats to have some health experts worried about the plaque.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... ch+Results

https://ktla.com/2019/05/11/los-angeles ... last-year/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ty ... ea-n917271

And democrats tell us they can clean up the carbon levels of the entire planet. But they can't clean up 50 square blocks in a city they've controlled for decades.

Per capita opioid prescriptions issued by state (top 5)-

1. Alabama
2. Arkansas
3. Tennessee
4. Mississippi
5. Louisianna

Per capita opioid overdose deaths by state (top 5)-
1. West Virginia
2. Ohio
3. Pennsylvania
4. DC
5. Kentucky

... and republicans tell us they have the answers... :roll:

Baltimore is the US heroin capital. More people die per capita of heroin overdose in Baltimore than anywhere else in the US. Interesting that Baltimore's overdose death rate per capita is about 20% of the opioid death rate per capita in West Virginia.

The simple fact is drugs cause problems all across this country, red states and blue states.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:11 pm
jhu72 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:03 pm

Yes, redlining was a huge factor. Both governmentally endorsed and de facto.
Is that what you are referring to by: "...giving the white population what they wanted." ? - yes, but not exclusively.

The raising of residential property tax rates, though, may have been the single biggest impetus for white flight (and later middle class black flight), though certainly the riots of the late 60's were a factor as well.

You may also be referring to the surrounding counties' 'soft racism', the unwillingness by too many to see Baltimore as worth investing in, always attacking the challenges of urban poverty and violence as an African American cultural issue rather than endemic to poverty period. Still that way. - I don't think the soft racism ended at the city-county line.

On the more macro economic level, the shift in industrialization, and most notably the loss of the steel industry hurt immensely. But we were also incredibly ill-served by a whole slew of corporate leaders too busy putting dough in their own pockets, rather than growing their business nationally and internationally. Became the acquired. Lost corporate HQ's.

There are paths back, but it's gonna be a battle, and not a sure thing that that the stars will align.
I think we did this to ourselves as a region, largely by not assuring all stakeholders were considered. Basic lizard brain reaction to a problem.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Baltimore’s Renaissance, if you will began post 1968.

Redlining was a major contributor to problems. A few items that helped stall the progress led eg Rouse Developmebt, Johnny Paterakis developments etc wet the election of Kurt Schmoke and the discontinuation or the economic development efforts that were bearing fruit; the forced sale of Maryland National Bank by ambitious OCC regulators when it wasn’t necessary, the problems at USFG which led to its downfall, White flight from the ethnic communities to places like Rosedale, the retirement of highly qualified people who were replaced by less qualified persons, the change in the culture of the City, the shortsightedness to the leadership in some of the surrounding counties. I don’t think there was ever a competent R candidate for mayor post 1960s. Don was as much Republican as he was Democrat in many ways. He didn’t really want to be governor but circumstances pushed him to run and leave the city to pro tem mayor DuBurns who lost the next election to Kurt Schmoke and dominoes began to fall. Property tax rates did not jump under Schaefer
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:03 pm Baltimore’s Renaissance, if you will began post 1968.

Redlining was a major contributor to problems. A few items that helped stall the progress led eg Rouse Developmebt, Johnny Paterakis developments etc wet the election of Kurt Schmoke and the discontinuation or the economic development efforts that were bearing fruit; the forced sale of Maryland National Bank by ambitious OCC regulators when it wasn’t necessary, the problems at USFG which led to its downfall, White flight from the ethnic communities to places like Rosedale, the retirement of highly qualified people who were replaced by less qualified persons, the change in the culture of the City, the shortsightedness to the leadership in some of the surrounding counties. I don’t think there was ever a competent R candidate for mayor post 1960s. Don was as much Republican as he was Democrat in many ways. He didn’t really want to be governor but circumstances pushed him to run and leave the city to pro tem mayor DuBurns who lost the next election to Kurt Schmoke and dominoes began to fall. Property tax rates did not jump under Schaefer

IBM had a huge presence downtown in the 80's. Alex Brown, Legg Mason, T. Row every other major firm, a ton of regional banks I can no longer recall - Baltimore had a fairly vibrant financial district in the 70's-mid 90's....white flight to the counties, consolidation, and technology. Poof.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:03 pm Baltimore’s Renaissance, if you will began post 1968.

I worked in the Dollar House Program in 1979, did my Honors Thesis in dual majors, Government and Urban Studies, on gentrification and displacement. My thesis advisor at Dartmouth was an African American female prof, who coincidentally happened to be from one of the elite black families of Baltimore and Philadelphia. As one might imagine, my thesis proposition that gentrification should be welcomed as an essential tool in the ongoing revitalization and life of any successful city, (albeit therefore requiring policies to ameliorate displacement effects) was not particularly popular in either the Government or Urban studies debts at an Ivy school of that era, a time at which rent control and the like were ascendant as policy prescriptions. But to their credit and particularly that of my thesis advisor, while they pushed me very hard, debated somewhat caustically during my thesis defense, they ultimately gave me highest honors for the work.

Fells Point, Canton, Otterbein, Federal Hill all slums when we started; the momentum continues even now. But much of the emphasis on other neighborhoods was lost, in the focus on big development projects. Lots of $ from the development community funding the politicians.

That doesn't include Jim Rouse, who was a wonderful guy, nor the work that Martin Millspaugh led as head of Charles Center over two decades was truly instrumental in the rebirth of the city core, harbor etc.

I think Schmoke was/is a very bright, attractive guy who was well meaning certainly, but he allowed some very bad types to infect his administration with hyper racial hiring practices. I chalk it up to many decades of white patronage finally coming to an end, but we really haven't recovered from that mindset. O'Malley (think Carcetti from the Wire) attracted some support as not bound up that way, but he was always looking beyond the job to higher office.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://ktla.com/2019/06/04/l-a-county- ... n-tuesday/ Where are all of those FLP Hollywood folks? Too busy saving the planet to have time to save their own citizens. Maybe Los Angeles should provide free transportation to these people and relocate them to a more hospitable location in Beverly Hills. Sort of like a redo of the Beverly Hillbillies only with crack, heroin and whatever other drug thrown in for good measure. I forget... are these not the same Hollywood know it alls that lecture us on what we all need to do to help our fellow man/woman? :roll: Apparently these greedy little rich Hollywood FLP elitist snobs are not willing to pony up their own cash to help their fellow citizens where they all live way far away from all of the misery and suffering of the common folk. If I remember correctly didn't they put up a fence around the red carpet at the Oscars so the low life scum could not bother them or be seen? :P To quote rrr… EXACTLY.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:40 pm https://ktla.com/2019/06/04/l-a-county- ... n-tuesday/ Where are all of those FLP Hollywood folks? Too busy saving the planet to have time to save their own citizens. Maybe Los Angeles should provide free transportation to these people and relocate them to a more hospitable location in Beverly Hills. Sort of like a redo of the Beverly Hillbillies only with crack, heroin and whatever other drug thrown in for good measure. I forget... are these not the same Hollywood know it alls that lecture us on what we all need to do to help our fellow man/woman? :roll: Apparently these greedy little rich Hollywood FLP elitist snobs are not willing to pony up their own cash to help their fellow citizens where they all live way far away from all of the misery and suffering of the common folk. If I remember correctly didn't they put up a fence around the red carpet at the Oscars so the low life scum could not bother them or be seen? :P To quote rrr… EXACTLY.
keep grinding, cradle, it's what you're good at...
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The big jump in the number of homeless occurred after Trump got elected. So I blame Trump.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:49 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:40 pm https://ktla.com/2019/06/04/l-a-county- ... n-tuesday/ Where are all of those FLP Hollywood folks? Too busy saving the planet to have time to save their own citizens. Maybe Los Angeles should provide free transportation to these people and relocate them to a more hospitable location in Beverly Hills. Sort of like a redo of the Beverly Hillbillies only with crack, heroin and whatever other drug thrown in for good measure. I forget... are these not the same Hollywood know it alls that lecture us on what we all need to do to help our fellow man/woman? :roll: Apparently these greedy little rich Hollywood FLP elitist snobs are not willing to pony up their own cash to help their fellow citizens where they all live way far away from all of the misery and suffering of the common folk. If I remember correctly didn't they put up a fence around the red carpet at the Oscars so the low life scum could not bother them or be seen? :P To quote rrr… EXACTLY.
keep grinding, cradle, it's what you're good at...
I am not grinding. How many hours do you have under your belt helping the people in need in your community? I spent 2 plus years helping my sister and using my Class A license to drive Foodlink trucks on Saturdays to pick up and deliver food. You know NOTHING about me or the values my mom and dad gave me. You only know a very little about who I am and what I believe in... Tell us all how many times you have unselfishly donated your time/money/ expertise in anything to the people in your community that needed your help. I forget... you are a lazy ass little r republican. You probably write out checks and let the other "little" people get the blisters and calluses. In my house growing up MD there were all kinds of people who came in and out of our house. Some of them stayed a couple of nights some stayed a couple of weeks. Every single one of them was fed, given clothes when they needed, hot showers and they all had to listen to my mom give them advice on how to get their lives together.

I was what was called backthen a liberal. I grew up indoctrinated in the same belief system my parents used to survive the great depression. You have absolutely no clue what I am talking about. How many of these Hollywood people have welcomed anyone into their mansions? These are uber rich people with the financial resources to help people and make a difference in their lives. They live in a city where the people living there are falling through every crack there is in the system. How many homeless people do you think Brad Pitt welcomes into his home every day? I am not perfect in many ways but I will be damned if I will allow a condescending jerk such as yourself to define who I am. You know nothing about me, and the more I read what you have to say my suggestion to you would be that you need to re-evaluate a lot of your preconceived notions on how you judge people. My mom would have given the last scrap of food in our house to someone staying there that was hungry. The moral of the story for my mom was always pull your head out of your ass and get your head on strait. So mom and dad in our little old middle class family never turned away someone in need...

So where are you excoriating comments for the uber rich in Hollywood that could write one check and actually make a difference in peoples lives? I forgot... your a little r republican with a very big mouth who has no experience( as far as I can tell) in actually doing one damn thing to help anyone. No it is easier to rip ole cradle than take an introspective look at all the things you have failed at when it comes to getting your hands dirty It takes lava soap to get my hands clean... I am guessing your more of an ivory soap kind of guy. :roll:
So MD not grinding you brother... why are some of these uber rich folks in Hollywood not doing more to help the people in need in their own city? You seem to be more than willing to give them a pass. I am not willing to do so. This is their city, they have the financial resources to do something about it. Yet theyturn their back on their own people and that does not bother you one little bit I may have doubted your chops before MD but you are a bad to the bone little r republican. :roll:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.

Return to “POLITICS”