Pre-2020 summer transfers

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: 2019 summer transfers

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:18 pm
blue angels wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:00 pm Virginia would shock me as the entire attack returns plus Cormier, Dickson and #1 Shellenberger will all be vying for time at attack. Additionally, since Moore broke the Virginia season points record at attack, why would they move him back to midfield? IL might not be aware of Moore but he is certainly in the discussion as the best returning attackman next year.
There seems to be a lot of revisionist history with this UVA team and Moore in particular. When the AA teams came out he was at best a HM and he may have moved himself up to 3rd team after the tournament. It wasn't some kind of massive snub leaving him out.
If Moore moves to his natural midfield position, UVA fans should take it as a positive. Another scorer at attack with two lethal offensive middies.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:23 pm Someone mentioned this before but Gray having to play with Teat for a year would be a little weird. They're both great players obviously and would probably find a way to make it work but my thinking is Gray is much, much more likely to go to a team that doesn't already have an established attackman that runs the offense. I think someone mentioned this already but Teat would be the senior incumbent and Gray would very likely have to defer to him next year even though you can make an argument that he's as good as him or perhaps better. Same reason I doubt that Princeton is high on his list. Harvard or Brown makes more sense, while Penn could use someone like Gray now that Mathias has graduated. Yale has Morrill for another year but we already know that he can complement another alpha attackman (Reeves last year) so I think that pairing makes a little more sense than Teat and Gray. And as mentioned, Duke could really use a quarterback to run that offense. If you're trying to guess where Gray goes, I think you have to look at 1) academics 2) opportunity to win a title/at least play in the NCCA tournament 3) does it make sense from an actual lacrosse standpoint? The schools that check all three boxes are probably 1) Duke 2) Penn 3) Yale if you think he'd work well with Morrill 4) Maaaybe Notre Dame? Schools like Cornell, Maryland, Hopkins, Brown, and Harvard check 2 of the 3 boxes. The wild card is probably Virginia as I do think Gray could work with both Moore and Kraus but he certainly would not score 100 points again and it'd look super lame to join the defending champs but I doubt he cares much for the optics. Still, there are equally good situations closer to home so I think those are more likely than UVA.
This is a thoughtful analysis. I guess regarding Yale, I don't see why Shay would do anything to mess with a very potent returning attack unit. The starting attack put up 221 points (almost 12/game) and were possibly the most efficient unit in the country with a shooting percentage of 40%. If I'm Shay, I don't change a thing with my attack or do anything to upset that chemistry. Also ND doesn't seem to be a great fit for any high scoring attackman. They've never had anyone score 50 or more goals in the history of their program and had only 1 guy score more than 50 points in the past 15 years (Kavanagh with 75 in 2014 and 52 in 2015). I'm not sure Penn checks all 3 boxes without him as they lost a lot in graduation. Also, can Penn lacrosse get 2 transfer spots from admissions now that Burkinshaw has taken one? The next question is what would Brown and Cornell look like with him? He'd basically simply replace Petterson for Cornell so they'd probably look a lot like this past year, a cusp tournament team. Brown is the wild card, but they'd certainly be better than last year when they took UVA to OT and lost a lot of close games including a 1 goal loss to Penn in the ILT. Agree on UVA and it's possible to say the same about Duke. Some chatter in these forums he's going to UMD so we'll see. Wish him good luck.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

blue angels wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:00 pm Virginia would shock me as the entire attack returns plus Cormier, Dickson and #1 Shellenberger will all be vying for time at attack. Additionally, since Moore broke the Virginia season points record at attack, why would they move him back to midfield? IL might not be aware of Moore but he is certainly in the discussion as the best returning attackman next year.
There seems to be a lot of revisionist history with this UVA team and Moore in particular. When the AA teams came out he was at best a HM and he may have moved himself up to 3rd team after the tournament. It wasn't some kind of massive snub leaving him out.
wharevs. moore was plenty good enough. and all 3 were the main guys responsible for their riding.
all 3 got it done as a unit, along with the other parts of the team of course
you don't step on that when they and everyone else preaches family.
the championship changes things. would be more than a little shocked if uva put themselves in the running.
xcoach

Post by xcoach »

Hearsay info on Gray: He is leaving because he was denied admission to the biz school at BU. Also his GPA, while good, but not great, MAY preclude admission to an Ivy. He is a terrific player, but it's nice to see that he is making a decision based on 40 years not 4 (now 2). Remember, this is second hand info, but I thought I'd mention it. I don't know him, but I do know that his coaches, both hs and college hold him in high regard.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:27 pm
wharevs. moore was plenty good enough. and all 3 were the main guys responsible for their riding.
the championship changes things. would be more than a little shocked if uva put themselves in the running.
If you want to put Moore in you have to take someone out. I'm curious as who you think that should be.

And yeah UVA shouldn't be interested in moving him to midfield for Gray because despite maybe not being on of the 9 or 10 best attackman this year he was still really freaking good.
bulax

Post by bulax »

xcoach wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:28 pm Hearsay info on Gray: He is leaving because he was denied admission to the biz school at BU. Also his GPA, while good, but not great, MAY preclude admission to an Ivy. He is a terrific player, but it's nice to see that he is making a decision based on 40 years not 4 (now 2). Remember, this is second hand info, but I thought I'd mention it. I don't know him, but I do know that his coaches, both hs and college hold him in high regard.
The b school at BU is not very hard to internally transfer into at all. This means that his GPA likely is not high if this is actually the issue. Also cant imagine a problem this small couldnt be solved to keep one of BUs most prominent athletes. If this is actually the issue(which i highly doubt) other teams at schools with high academics are going to have a really rough time trying to get him in.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

xcoach wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:28 pm Hearsay info on Gray: He is leaving because he was denied admission to the biz school at BU. Also his GPA, while good, but not great, MAY preclude admission to an Ivy. He is a terrific player, but it's nice to see that he is making a decision based on 40 years not 4 (now 2). Remember, this is second hand info, but I thought I'd mention it. I don't know him, but I do know that his coaches, both hs and college hold him in high regard.
If this is true, “Academic ambitions” sounds less like a case similar to TD last year and more what he’s trying to get out of BU didn’t happen so he’s gotta change course somewhere else
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:42 pm
If you want to put Moore in you have to take someone out. I'm curious as who you think that should be.

And yeah UVA shouldn't be interested in moving him to midfield for Gray because despite maybe not being on of the 9 or 10 best attackman this year he was still really freaking good.
until your edit, i think maybe reading it, we're having 2 different discussions. blue angels was (mostly, other than a dig at IL) speaking about the possibilty of bringing a transfer in vs standing pat. as was i.
i'm fine with leaving the aa teams as they are, however they are.
as long as moore, kraus and laviano are riding next year.
and my edit... my opening line, intial post maybe was confusing... i wasn't talking about any AA award. i was speaking to his play on the field. that he was plenty good enough this year. at attack.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

bulax wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:46 pm
The b school at BU is not very hard to internally transfer into at all. This means that his GPA likely is not high if this is actually the issue. Also cant imagine a problem this small couldnt be solved to keep one of BUs most prominent athletes. If this is actually the issue(which i highly doubt) other teams at schools with high academics are going to have a really rough time trying to get him in.
cue the ivy guys cutting his available list to cornell and any other school not in the ivy.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:02 pm
cue the ivy guys cutting his available list to cornell and any other school not in the ivy.
Thanks for the Cornell bash, wgdsr. Cornell's admission requirements are quite high. It is unlikely a person with average grades at a non-Ivy school will qualify for admission. https://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colle ... scores-GPA
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxfan1313 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:35 pm
Thanks for the Cornell bash, wgdsr. Cornell's admission requirements are quite high. It is unlikely a person with average grades at a non-Ivy school will qualify for admission. https://www.prepscholar.com/sat/s/colle ... scores-GPA

I hear all you need to do is call Rick Singer.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Even in the shot clock era, the names of the offensive positions become more and more meaningless every year. The fact that Moore bumped down below the goal line from the midfield speaks to this. Get your 6 best offensive players on the field regardless of their "position." Having someone like Gray operate from X with Kraus and Moore would be a nightmare for a defense. Or with Moore now developing a real ability to distribute, he could run the offense from up top. Or in the two-man game from the wings instead of down low. If you're not a UVA fan, you pray like hell that Gray doesn't end up at UVA.

I still think he ends up a Penn. With Mathias gone, Gray would instantly make their offense just as multifaceted and dangerous as it was this year. Especially if Gallagher is winning face-offs like he did this year.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

everyone's welcome to their opinion.
don't agree.
i'd rather have moore on the field for every possession at this point. that is to say, all 3 of the returning attack.
for every fast and slow break.
and to ride the close d and goalie from the back, chase down others.

most importantly, breaking with what's working to chase a free agent doesn't work for them given the circumstances right now. imo.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

laxfan1313 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:35 pm
if you re-read my post, you may notice i wasn't bashing cornell.
also -- in the case of gray, we don't know what his grades are.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:51 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:42 pm

until your edit, i think maybe reading it, we're having 2 different discussions. blue angels was (mostly, other than a dig at IL) speaking about the possibilty of bringing a transfer in vs standing pat. as was i.
i'm fine with leaving the aa teams as they are, however they are.
as long as moore, kraus and laviano are riding next year.
and my edit... my opening line, intial post maybe was confusing... i wasn't talking about any AA award. i was speaking to his play on the field. that he was plenty good enough this year. at attack.
I took the IL part to be a shot at him not making AA which I think was a complaint from someone when those came out. My bad.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

See that’s where we have a disconnect- he should be a 1st team AA - a 2nd team at the least. UVa should have a bunch on the Tewey watch list
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Good one. And that selectivity is why an Ivy degree means so much! I still think he will get into an Ivy if they want him bad enough. Maybe not Harvard and Princeton, but Brown, Cornell, Penn (not Wharton) and Yale. If he has a chance to go to any of those schools, he should take it.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

rasheed wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:11 pm
See that’s where we have a disconnect- he should be a 1st team AA - a 2nd team at the least. UVa should have a bunch on the Tewey watch list
Sorry man you're either trolling or homering way too hard. No shot Moore was better than Ament Spencer or Gray.
Sting The Corner

Post by Sting The Corner »

This is absolutely right on, and think it applies to more than just UVA
wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:57 pm most importantly, breaking with what's working to chase a free agent doesn't work for them given the circumstances right now. imo.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:25 pm
rasheed wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:11 pm
Sorry man you're either trolling or homering way too hard. No shot Moore was better than Ament Spencer or Gray.
Who knew Moore was going to be that clutch in the highest pressure situations, overtime, double overtime ?
And, as a sophomore.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”