Connecticut 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
DuckLax

Re: Connecticut 2019

Post by DuckLax »

Completely agree with BW - great showing by Shelton in the OT loss to G'wich......and not a complete outlier for the Gaels either, given that they played Hand tough (OT loss) early in the season, and beat Xavier (who while not a FCIAC-competitor caliber team, would have run over Shelton in previous years).
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Figured time to get some more post season discussiogoing. Due to what often seems to be arbitrary (yea, i know its the way they have always done it) CIAC seeding methodology, we have a few interesting games today:

Class L:
Greenwich @ Prep 7pm - Greenwich had a scare vs Shelton, and seemingly doesnt have a lot of 'mo right now. It feels like this is the year Prep may be a legit contender (along with 4-5 others) for the L crown. Unless Feda puts up 8+, expect Prep to roll fairly easily.

Wilton @ Glastonbury 5pm - Wilton, after a brutally hard first half of the season seems to have figured it out, as evidenced by their upset of the Wave last week. G'bury has had a bit of a tough time against some of their better opponents, with drubbings from NC, NF, and Hingham (MA). Wilton may have jus sneaked into the Tourney as a #19 seed, but their losses were mostly vs a murders row of opponents like NC, JJ, Mercer Island (who won their state title again last week btw), Darien, Prep, and Ridgefield. Should be close, but i think Warriors will prevail.

Class M:
Zzzzzzz....Cant really suggest much of anything out of the M bracket today....Maybe use the time to go gas up the jalopy for a schlep to New Fairfield on Saturday to see if Hand is healthy enough to give Marty and the boys a run for their money like last year?

Class S:
Morgan @ H-k @ 3pm - For shoreliners with some free time today, this should be a well matched battle between some up and comers from outside the typical "CT lax boundary" that seems to stop about at the Surf Club. Towns (HK and Clinton) are neighbors, so this game is for bragging rights while hanging out at the outlet mall over the summer. HK by a few.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

With things heating up in CT, re-posted DuckLax's post from January.
Mike75

Post by Mike75 »

Potentially 7 of the 8 teams in the L quarterfinals will be FCIAC. 6 at a minimum. :shock:

Ridgefield over Staples
Darien over Ludlowe
Wilton over NC
If Prep wins, I like them over Newtown, but Newtown over Greenwich if the Cardinals beat Prep.

That check by Calabrese in the Glastonbury game. Wow.
https://www.gametimect.com/calabreses-c ... n-rematch/
random observer

Post by random observer »

I think one development that deserves a special shoutout is Ridgefield's resiliency in the face of losing all three of their senior contributors on offense (Gels, Isaacson, and now Carpenter). They have three freshmen in their starting lineup now, and a couple of more that see the field in complimentary roles, and they're still right in the thick of things. Next year's team should be quite a force assuming goalie play doesn't fall off a cliff after Parsons graduates.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Mike75 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:53 am Potentially 7 of the 8 teams in the L quarterfinals will be FCIAC. 6 at a minimum. :shock:

Ridgefield over Staples
Darien over Ludlowe
Wilton over NC
If Prep wins, I like them over Newtown, but Newtown over Greenwich if the Cardinals beat Prep.
I assume the :shock: was intended to be in the sarcasm font?

Congrats for a great showing by Parisi's boys down at Ludlow as they seemed to put on quite a beat down of Simsbury (who I thought maybe had a bit more this year). And Wilton is the poster child for why playing a tough schedule prepares you for the post season, even if you end up just sneaking in to the tourney.

No love for the North in 2019 i guess, as this will be the first time since 2014 :shock: that there won't be a CCC team in the Semi-finals of L.
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

Prep 16
Greenwich 3

Pretty dominating performance from the Jesuits. The sophomore FOGO, who won SCC Tournament MVP, should develop into a really nice player down the road. Can't remember the last time Prep had a go-to faceoff man.

A season to forget for the Cardinals. Prep moves on to face Newtown on 6/1 at Prep's home field.
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

JesuitLax1 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:05 pm Can't remember the last time Prep had a go-to faceoff man.
Really?? Prep’s junior fogo is committed to Loyola.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Lotsa action tomorrow! Thoughts and Predictions below:

Class L
Wilton @ NC is by far the most interesting of the lot. Wilton's been on a roll, but I think they will have met their match with the boys from Farm Road tomorrow. Q is getting more and more support from the rest of the team (incl Canet, Rechterman, Manges) making them tougher to game plan against. Should be fairly close but my $ is on NC .

Staples @ Ridgefield has "upset" potential given the Tiger injuries (Carpenter, Isaacson, Gels). With them both fielding young teams, who knows what you're gonna get? The Tigers beat the Wreckers by a goal at home month ago, so will be interesting to see which team has improved the most since then. I'm going out on a limb and making the "hard choice"........Wreckers by a goal.

Expect big #s from Grandolfo (who had 6/2 against G'wich), Reale, and Co to help Prep roll at home vs Newtown, knocking the only other non-FCIAC team out of the L bracket and setting up a rematch vs NC in the semis.

Any chance Parisi can invoke the ghost of "Ridgefield2018" strategy tomorrow? Other than that otherworldly intervention, probably a stretch for Ludlow. Darien rolls.

Class M:

Hand @ NF: Rematch of last years 2 goal championship game. Hard to ever count out Hand with the potential for Fitzmaurice to stand on his head in goal, and a bruising defense, but without a healthy Swank, NF may be just too much for the Tigers (and everyone in M).

Delucia and friends will help Guilford roll over North Haven.

Notre Dame West Haven @ Waterford - Waterford's had a great season, and ND WH has been up and down. But as Wford found last year in the M Semis, there's a big jump from ECC to SCC competition. NDWH by 3.

Weston rolls over Farmington, and likely on into the FInals.

Class S:

St Josephs @ Somers. Somers has had a great year, and from the highlights seem like a team with nice swagger who are fun to watch. But StJ has taken the lumps of the FCIAC, including nice wins over Ludlow and Greenwich, and respectable losses to Wilton and Trumbull. Expect StJ's by a handful. Is this the defacto S finals? Many think so, but E Catholic may not agree.

Tolland @ Sheehan - Sheehan going away

E Catholic @ HK - E Catholic rolls

Granby @ Bacon - they played to a 4 goal Bacon win a month ago, expect Bacon to prevail again.
Last edited by DuckLax on Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

DuckLax wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:34 pm Lotsa action tomorrow! Thoughts and Predictions:

1 away from batting 1.000
Wilton with an impressive showing over NC. Came out strong right out of the gate and played a tough game. I was wrong on that pick. Warriors have huge momentum, and are the poster child for "addition by subtraction". Dont know if thats the team anyone really wants to face right now, but I still like Preps chances on Wed.

Congrats to the Wreckers and coach K on a great upset W, and to Prep for a nice beat down.

No surprises in M or S.
BlueWarrior

Post by BlueWarrior »

Love this Wilton/Prep matchup. What a great story for the Warriors coming back from a 1-7 start.

Everybody healthy on both sides? Pretty rare to get to this point of the season without a few people at least a little banged up (see Ridgefield). Should be a great game but if both teams are at full strength i’ll take Prep.

As for the Wreckers/Wave game...not sure the enzymes are going to be flowing towards Westport on Wednesday evening. Beating the toothless Tigers was one thing - this is a whole different kettle of potatoes. Or fish. Or whatever. It’s just different. Wave by a bunch unless some weird face off domination for Staples allows them to slow the game to a snail’s pace (see Ridgefield).

Good luck to all.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

DuckLax wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:55 am
DuckLax wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:34 pm Lotsa action tomorrow! Thoughts and Predictions:

1 away from batting 1.000
Wilton with an impressive showing over NC. Came out strong right out of the gate and played a tough game. I was wrong on that pick. Warriors have huge momentum, and are the poster child for "addition by subtraction". Dont know if thats the team anyone really wants to face right now, but I still like Preps chances on Wed.

Congrats to the Wreckers and coach K on a great upset W, and to Prep for a nice beat down.

No surprises in M or S.
While I know where you are going with "addition by subtraction", not sure I agree as for the majority of the games I've seen the offense has had the same issues as last year....that said, the offense has come along some as the season has progressed but I think they are more the poster child for:
What a strong schedule can do for you - even if you start 1-7 you do learn and get tougher....just like the 2013 team that barely made states then ran the table...and more importantly...
How far you can go with the great defense and brilliant goalie. You are in every single game even when the other team's D is strong (several 4-3 wins).

Tomorrow seems to be a bit of irresistable force meets immovable object with Prep's O vs Wilton's D. Should be a good watch again
Wouldnt bet on Staples, but their D had played very well all year - comfortable in low scoring games - two slugfests vs WIlton that way. Can they pull the low scoring upset? I dont think they will score many themselves.
TyeDyeRhino

Post by TyeDyeRhino »

If there’s a year for Staples, this is it. That defense and goalie are as good as any they’ve put out. I don’t see any big time offense like theyve had in the past (Evan Zinn for example) but doesn’t the saying go defense wins championships? Anything can happen (Wilton did manage to take down the Wave in the FCIACs) and Staples and Wilton have both been upsetting everyone with a similar formula (with exception to an outburst of points by the Wreckers vs an underrated Warde squad) so believe it or not I actually like Staples chances in this game if they can follow In Wiltons footsteps here. 9-8 Wreckers in the upset.

On the flip side, Wilton is battle tested and definitely improved with live combat, and keeping the score low is gonna be key if they stand any chance of being alive tomorrow. Prep O is just unreal. 10-5 Jesuits.

In M Guilford is tough but NF is just too dominant this year. Rebels keep moving here.

On the other side I actually like NDWH to pull the upset here and lead the SCC into a finals game they stand absolutely no chance of competing in.

As for S, I think this is the first time we’ve seen an SCC team in each semi final ever with the upstart Sheehan boys having a fine season. However I don’t think they get past St Joes here (who I think should be in M really)

Last but not least I’m gonna take East catholic in the upset here. EC routinely makes it deep in the tournament and Bacon does not. I’m taking the playoff experience here, East Catholic over Bacon.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

Young Warrior wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:13 pm

While I know where you are going with "addition by subtraction", not sure I agree as for the majority of the games I've seen the offense has had the same issues as last year....that said, the offense has come along some as the season has progressed but I think they are more the poster child for:
What a strong schedule can do for you - even if you start 1-7 you do learn and get tougher....just like the 2013 team that barely made states then ran the table...and more importantly...
I agree with you on the "Strength of Schedule" reasoning.....I've been saying that about them for a while, and in fact see my post from a month or so ago where i call i talk about the benefits of the gauntlet they played, and call Wilton the "best 1-7 team in the northeast". I thought the offense looked good on Saturday...good ball movement, etc, but maybe thats a new phenomenon here at season end not related to personnel. Would bet there have been similar comments kicking around Silver Springs and Rolling Hills recently though.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

TyeDyeRhino wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:18 am If there’s a year for Staples, this is it. That defense and goalie are as good as any they’ve put out. I don’t see any big time offense like theyve had in the past (Evan Zinn for example) but doesn’t the saying go defense wins championships? Anything can happen (Wilton did manage to take down the Wave in the FCIACs) and Staples and Wilton have both been upsetting everyone with a similar formula (with exception to an outburst of points by the Wreckers vs an underrated Warde squad) so believe it or not I actually like Staples chances in this game if they can follow In Wiltons footsteps here. 9-8 Wreckers in the upset.

On the flip side, Wilton is battle tested and definitely improved with live combat, and keeping the score low is gonna be key if they stand any chance of being alive tomorrow. Prep O is just unreal. 10-5 Jesuits.

In M Guilford is tough but NF is just too dominant this year. Rebels keep moving here.

On the other side I actually like NDWH to pull the upset here and lead the SCC into a finals game they stand absolutely no chance of competing in.

As for S, I think this is the first time we’ve seen an SCC team in each semi final ever with the upstart Sheehan boys having a fine season. However I don’t think they get past St Joes here (who I think should be in M really)

Last but not least I’m gonna take East catholic in the upset here. EC routinely makes it deep in the tournament and Bacon does not. I’m taking the playoff experience here, East Catholic over Bacon.
Re: defense wins championships. I generally agree, but defending a great offensive team is so hard to do if you don't have a competent offense and, most importantly, win faceoffs. If you can't win faceoffs and control the ball, it doesn't matter how good your defense is, you probably won't win the game. I think Wilton and Staples will only win if their faceoff guys dominate, they control the ball, and have long, productive possessions. Weston has struggled at times with winning faceoffs, and Hochman of NDWH is better than average at winning faces, so that gives NDWH an advantage. However, the Weston offense is very good, and NDWH has had some defensive issues. Unlike Wilton or Staples, I think Weston can overcome losing some faceoffs, and beat NDWH.

As for NF, I don't think they can lose. Hand almost beat them last year because they had a D1 faceoff guy, a competent offense and a solid defense, and were able to slow down the NF offense. The NF faceoff kid was a freshman last year, he was a little overwhelmed in the championship game. I can tell you that he has gotten a lot better in a year: he's very good, and very confident. In the first quarter of the game against Hand this year, NF won almost every faceoff, and when the Hand defense made a stop they turned the ball over on the clear, most often after the ball had crossed midfield. Hand didn't set up a single offensive possession until the second quarter - not an exaggeration - and by then the score was already lopsided in favor of NF. More so than losing Swank this season, Hand suffered from losing their faceoff guy in one of the first games of the year - the kids they sent out there fought hard, don't get me wrong, but against the Preps and NFs of the world, it just wasn't enough. Despite having one of the best goalies and best pole units in the state, without their faceoff guy they really had no chance in the NF game.

So, defense only goes so far.
DuckLax

Post by DuckLax »

More thoughts and predictions as we roll into the next-to-last day of the season:

Class L:

Darien v Staples, 7:15 @ McMahon: Great season for the young wreckers, and very nice tourney run that unfortunately i think will end this evening. Darien too deep and too well oiled a machine for Staples to keep up. Wave by a handful.

Prep v Wilton, 7:15 @ Rafferty (Fairfield U): Game of the night without question. Not sure how Prep ended up with a home game for what is supposed to be a neutral site game, but maybe to even things out Wilton gets to bring their own refs a la NF. Both teams are on a roll, Wilton especially in recent weeks. Wilton has been through the wringer of tough opponents this season, but Prep hasnt shyed away from competition either (NC, BC High, St As, Chaminade). Prep has the big name offense in Grandolfo, Reale, and Boyle, but DiNanno and company have seemed to be clicking well recently. Both teams have strong senior goalies in Calabrese and O'Connor headed to play at very good programs (Navy/Middlebury) next year. Wilton's D is probably the best in the state, and the Grandolfo/Schriber matchup should be VERY interesting to see tonight. Prep's Achilles, now that it seems they may have their FOGO issues worked out, is typically close D. Bottom line, should be a great game, my prediction is Prep by a goal.

Class M:

New Fairfield v Guilford, 5pm @ Rafferty (Fairfield U): Guilford has had a great season, but with a limited amount of threats beyond Delucia, I dont see an upset here tonight. And NF wont be surprised by Guilford like they were last year. Rebels by 10.

ND-WH v Weston, 5:00pm @ McMahon: Second best game of the day. Weston has had a great season with its only losses coming to NF and Newtown (who they then tromped in the SWC semis). Weston beat NDWH early in the season by 3, and Weston seems to have progressed significantly since then. Biggest challenge for Weston will likely be posessions as Hochman will likely dominate at the X. Expect Weston by a few, setting up the all-SWC Class M finals.

Class S:

St Josephs v Sheehan, 7:30 @ Cheshire: StJ's rolls by 10.

E Catholic v Bacon, 4:30 @ Cheshire: E Catholic going away.
ISL Laxin'

Post by ISL Laxin' »

Anyone know if tonight's Class L games will be streamed? Assuming DAF will do the Darien/Staples game but any word on Prep/Wilton?
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

Prep 3
Wilton 0

End of 1st. Goals by Kavanaugh, Grandolfo, and Boyle.
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

Prep 4
Wilton 2

Halftime.
JesuitLax1

Post by JesuitLax1 »

Apparently, Mason Reale tore his ACL in the early goings of the Newtown game. Tough, tough loss.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”