Total votes: 71

51percentcorn

Re: QF #3 Hopkins vs #6 Virginia Sunday @2:30

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:34 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:08 am
It was obvious.
Legit thought you died
So did I. And yet when he returns the response is not surprising. Look, I think his foot was in the crease - it seemed to be clear that it was over the line but was it touching blue painted turf? There is a significant difference between the Duke/Penn State game and the Hopkins/UVA game - the Millon goal was not even close to the last play of the game while the Duke score was of course the last play. So the butterfly wing effect is clearly in play - you have no idea what would have transpired the last 3-4 minutes if the goal had been overturned. Hopkins couldn't clear the ball to save their soul - so there probably would have been a prop bet of at least -400 that UVA was getting the ball back within 20 seconds and then they score - win a face-off - score again etc. etc. You have no idea - it was certainly a conspicuous and important play - would have liked to be up one with the ball but you had more than enough chances to still win the game. They were ultimately the better team with better adjustments and in game coaching. If you really want the play that turned the game around it was Hop - up 2 - Kilrain coming down on potential fast break - with the ball - passes it to Angelus who falls - scooped up by the Hoos - Cormier finally scores - I was always concerned but that's when I really got a bad feeling.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:25 pm If you really want the play that turned the game around it was Hop - up 2 - Kilrain coming down on potential fast break - with the ball - passes it to Angelus who falls - scooped up by the Hoos - Cormier finally scores - I was always concerned but that's when I really got a bad feeling.
I said out loud before Angelus fell how that play was the game. I didn't realize it would swing so quickly in the other direction, but for a moment it looked like Hopkins was about to put the nail in the coffin.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Yeah there were two issues that doomed Hopkins on that crease call:

1) The blue lines
2) The bias toward sticking with the call on the field, rather than using replay to try to actually get the call right. "Call on the field" should be disregarded out once you decide it's too close and you need the replay to figure it out. Let the replay do its job. If it shows he didn't step in the crease then so be it. But the call should reflect what the replay shows.

Saw this posted on social media, someone took the above screengrab and played with the contrast of the colors to make it clearer. Laugh if you want but clearly the blue lines are a joke. Obviously the refs did not have this at their disposal but it shows that if the lines were a normal color and not blue, it would have been even clearer than it already was:

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it wasn't clear. and that's the worst screenshot/angle bc the camera was moving and the turf was blurry and bad enough with the colors. you can see it looks like a crooked circle from that view.

the best angle was from 4 o'clock and above the goal, when they zoomed in, as the 4k camera was stationary. it "looked like" he planted just before the line. he had momentum carrying him, so very well he could've touched the line even if the above were the case. we are talking about a half inch in either direction.

referencing quint by folks here.... that 5 minute episode was riddled with doubt, from start to finish. that's exactly why it wasn't overturned. the announcers weren't saying at all what you think they were saying. can someone cut it up and post the video?

gun to my head, i would choose as in between the 2. but if you asked me if i wanted to play $1 million you win, lose you die (or lose a million)... hard pass.
Last edited by wgdsr on Wed May 22, 2024 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coda

Post by coda »

wgdsr wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:05 pm it wasn't clear. and that's the worst screenshot/angle bc the camera was moving and the turf was blurry and bad enough with the colors. you can see it looks like a crooked circle from that view.

the best angle was from 4 o'clock and above the goal, when they zoomed in, as the 4k camera was stationary. it "looked like" he planted just before the line. he had momentum carrying him, so very well he could've touched the line even if the above were the case. we are talking about a half inch in either direction.

referencing quint by folks here.... that 5 minute episode was riddled wih doubt, from start to finish. can someone cut it up and post the video?

gun to my head, i would choose as in between the 2. but if you asked me if i wanted to play $1 million you win, lose you die (or lose a million)... hard pass.
Fact that you had to alter the video and change colors is telling. If it was obvious, you wouldnt need to do that.

Post by 1766 »

The NCAA needs to be certain there are multiple camera angles.

It's shocking that was the best video that could be had. The tech exists. Use it if you are going to say you are using it.

Based on what was available, it appears as if he's in the crease. Towson itself is not a good venue for the quarterfinals. The field looked like it had lines for multiple sports and has a track around it.

Loyola would have been a better option.
Finster

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:08 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:05 pm it wasn't clear. and that's the worst screenshot/angle bc the camera was moving and the turf was blurry and bad enough with the colors. you can see it looks like a crooked circle from that view.

referencing quint by folks here.... that 5 minute episode was riddled wih doubt, from start to finish. can someone cut it up and post the video?

Fact that you had to alter the video and change colors is telling. If it was obvious, you wouldnt need to do that.

I thought/think it was/is obvious that Millon touched the line before the shot.
blx9

Post by blx9 »

BigTom5 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:43 pm You were spotted a 4-0 lead facing a goalie who couldn’t see the ball. UVA had there worst shooting game of the season, highlighted by D1’s all time leading goal scorer shooting 1-11. Irelan played awesome and made two doorstep saves he had no business making. Only putting up five 6v6 goals and losing a game with all those advantages is pretty brutal, especially with a senior heavy team.
Bingo. Some hop fans think this was some team of destiny? Genuinely curious. This team looked solid on offense, I guess, but aside from #40 the starters looked small. They looked like they would transfer out of Hop if they had to go up against Tucker Durkin in practice every day (..sort of kidding but not really). Virginia looked like they had a pretty bad game but still enough raw talent on the field to get the win. Granted this game could have gone either way but it never seemed like Hopkins day when it got down to crunch time. Hate to say it but must sting for the Hop community seeing #1 on UVA get the OTGW knowing he was once committed to Jhu.

Do hop fans think this team was better than the ‘15 Petro squad that had Stanwick/Stanwick/Brown at attack? Cause I certainly don’t. That has to be one of the best starting attack lines in school history even with all the amazing teams and attackmen to come through there. I think shack played through that gnarly back injury for like his last 2 years and is still 6th all time in points or something? Tougher than he looked. Really smart player. Probably under appreciated by those in the Hop thread. Wells too

The Millon kid for UvA is an animal. Reminded me of a grittier version of another stanwick named Steele. Don’t remember SS being afraid of contact at all but millon looked like he dodges really, really hard. Steele more finesse. He was so good , what a treat to watch. One of the best ever
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

referencing quint by folks here.... that 5 minute episode was riddled with doubt, from start to finish. that's exactly why it wasn't overturned. the announcers weren't saying at all what you think they were saying. can someone cut it up and post the video?

Good points. It really highlights the main flaw in the system, which is that the call on the field is considered “accurate” until proven otherwise. Camera movement, picture resolution, poorly selected line colors are all confounding issues, but none really have the extent of error as the himan eye and brain judging this in real-time at game speed. If you were to simply use replay to make the call, you could easily come to a different conclusion.

BTW.. this is more a comment on the system in general, not specifically this game. If you’re going to have video review, fine, but don’t subjugate it to the call on the field.
Finster

Post by Finster »

blx9 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:46 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:43 pm You were spotted a 4-0 lead facing a goalie who couldn’t see the ball. UVA had there worst shooting game of the season, highlighted by D1’s all time leading goal scorer shooting 1-11. Irelan played awesome and made two doorstep saves he had no business making. Only putting up five 6v6 goals and losing a game with all those advantages is pretty brutal, especially with a senior heavy team.
Bingo. Some hop fans think this was some team of destiny? Genuinely curious. This team looked solid on offense, I guess, but aside from #40 the starters looked small. They looked like they would transfer out of Hop if they had to go up against Tucker Durkin in practice every day (..sort of kidding but not really). Virginia looked like they had a pretty bad game but still enough raw talent on the field to get the win. Granted this game could have gone either way but it never seemed like Hopkins day when it got down to crunch time. Hate to say it but must sting for the Hop community seeing #1 on UVA get the OTGW knowing he was once committed to Jhu.

Do hop fans think this team was better than the ‘15 Petro squad that had Stanwick/Stanwick/Brown at attack? Cause I certainly don’t. That has to be one of the best starting attack lines in school history even with all the amazing teams and attackmen to come through there. I think shack played through that gnarly back injury for like his last 2 years and is still 6th all time in points or something? Tougher than he looked. Really smart player. Probably under appreciated by those in the Hop thread. Wells too

The Millon kid for UvA is an animal. Reminded me of a grittier version of another stanwick named Steele. Don’t remember SS being afraid of contact at all but millon looked like he dodges really, really hard. Steele more finesse. He was so good , what a treat to watch. One of the best ever

Since the coach then was Petro, and today it’s Milliman, yes.
coda

Post by coda »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:55 pm

Good points. It really highlights the main flaw in the system, which is that the call on the field is considered “accurate” until proven otherwise. Camera movement, picture resolution, poorly selected line colors are all confounding issues, but none really have the extent of error as the himan eye and brain judging this in real-time at game speed. If you were to simply use replay to make the call, you could easily come to a different conclusion.

BTW.. this is more a comment on the system in general, not specifically this game. If you’re going to have video review, fine, but don’t subjugate it to the call on the field.
That is the crux of the situation with replay. It is written only to overturn the obvious errors. I was looking for the NCAA guidelines, but could not find them. The guideline is generally irrefutable evidence (believe Anish said that a couple times). So when you have close plays and weak camera angles/shots to review. Its going to be hard to overturn the close calls.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:10 pm

That is the crux of the situation with replay. It is written only to overturn the obvious errors. I was looking for the NCAA guidelines, but could not find them. The guideline is generally irrefutable evidence (believe Anish said that a couple times). So when you have close plays and weak camera angles/shots to review. Its going to be hard to overturn the close calls.
Yeah this should change, not just in lacrosse but all sports. It's not a murder trial, you don't need proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Putting the original call on a pedestal as some standard to surpass is wild considering the refs were so unsure about it that they needed to ask for replay. They threw their hands up and said "we don't know so let's look at the replay." Once you do that...the replay should take precedence over the initial call, no? Let the replay actually help you make the most accurate call. Even if you're STILL unsure after watching the replay, it's better to apply a subjective judgment call to a slowed down replay w/ multiple angles vs. a bang-bang play in the moment that you've already admitted you're unsure about. Think you'd get more accurate calls that way, and isn't that the whole point of this?

I am salty, yes, but honestly think this would make things better in general. The Penn State/Duke game last year led to expanded replay, so maybe this game will lead to further changes to how it's used.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:24 pm

Yeah this should change, not just in lacrosse but all sports. It's not a murder trial, you don't need proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Putting the original call on a pedestal as some standard to surpass is wild considering the refs were so unsure about it that they needed to ask for replay. They threw their hands up and said "we don't know so let's look at the replay." Once you do that...the replay should take precedence over the initial call, no? Let the replay actually help you make the most accurate call. Even if you're STILL unsure after watching the replay, it's better to apply a subjective judgment call to a slowed down replay w/ multiple angles vs. a bang-bang play in the moment that you've already admitted you're unsure about. Think you'd get more accurate calls that way, and isn't that the whole point of this?

I am salty, yes, but honestly think this would make things better in general. The Penn State/Duke game last year led to expanded replay, so maybe this game will lead to further changes to how it's used.
I dont think it will. This comes up in the NFL and College Football from time to time. Those games have lot more cameras on them. Not to make things worse, but I wonder if this game was on ESPN (main channel) would this have had the proper camera angle to overturn?
cmbtp88

Post by cmbtp88 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:08 am
cmbtp88 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:51 pm
I am pretty sure professional tennis is done electronically, hence the shadow ball marks on the lines in 3 seconds...i think the call on the field is only used when video replay is questionable right. Obviously it wasnt clear if he did step on the crease or not. I was at the game but when you watch the replay of the game and they were showing it, even when they zoomed it from the angle they had it wasn't 100% clear, they would have been guessing one way or the other i think. I was surprised there wasnt a better replay angle.....that would have helped....sure next weeks games will have more cameras, know that doesnt help with this call
It was obvious. I was there too and it was 100% obvious on the jumbotron that is foot was on the crease line. The entire stadium booed when the replay call was announced. I also looked at the replay of the televised game. QK, who is no Hopkins homer, said immediately that his foot was in the crease before even seeing the replay. After the replay he said the foot was on the line and the call should be overturned. It doesn't get any clearer than that.

Replay was instituted for crease violations after a Duke player clearly stepped in the crease yet his OT goal was allowed last year and Duke advanced. The whole point of adding replay for in the crease calls is that the Refs ACTUALLY LOOK AT THE REPLAY.

The NFL had the same problem when they started replay. Officials would not over turn anything, even obvious calls. So the NFL started firing officials and magically, obvious calls started getting overturned. Go figure!

This situation is unacceptable and needs to be escalated, not swept under the rug. The NCAA should fire the officials involved immediately and return some semblance of sanity and integrity to the game. Otherwise, replay is useless without a fair human element.

UVA's final four is tainted.
THEY LOOKED AT THE REPLAY FOR 5 MINUTES! So your saying that the refs saw indisputable evidence he was in the crease and didn't make the call? It was not obvious on the jumbotron, we were in Maryland of course the JHU crowd was going to react that way. QK likes JH more than VA, lol. Duke was clear, this was not, so you think the refs who called bullsh penalties and other non penalty calls on UVA the whole game decided to give them a goal? come on thats ridiculous. It wasn't clear indisputable evidence. Sure the NCAA saw it, and agreed with the call. That was not why JHU lost the game, they didnt score in the 4th qtr. Hard to win a tournament game without scoring in the final qtr when you are only up by 3 goals and your FO guy is 40%. Come on. replay did exactly what it was supposed to do, they used it twice during the game, and made the right decision based on the video both times. JHU had a great season. All shud be proud of their play.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

cmbtp88 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:41 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:08 am UVA's final four is tainted.
THEY LOOKED AT THE REPLAY FOR 5 MINUTES! So your saying that the refs saw indisputable evidence he was in the crease and didn't make the call? It was not obvious on the jumbotron, we were in Maryland of course the JHU crowd was going to react that way. QK likes JH more than VA, lol. Duke was clear, this was not, so you think the refs who called bullsh penalties and other non penalty calls on UVA the whole game decided to give them a goal? come on thats ridiculous. It wasn't clear indisputable evidence. Sure the NCAA saw it, and agreed with the call. That was not why JHU lost the game, they didnt score in the 4th qtr. Hard to win a tournament game without scoring in the final qtr when you are only up by 3 goals and your FO guy is 40%. Come on. replay did exactly what it was supposed to do, they used it twice during the game, and made the right decision based on the video both times. JHU had a great season. All shud be proud of their play.
No it is not "tainted" :roll: Refs could not overturn, period.

If you want to b!tch about a bad call you should be b!tching about the missed call in OT where Castner crossed checked to head of Geronski going out of bounds. Was only called push with loss of possession. The correct call could have iced game for HOP.
coda

Post by coda »

tech37 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:53 pm

If you want to b!tch about a bad call you should be b!tching about the missed call in OT where Castner crossed checked to head of Geronski going out of bounds. Was only called push with loss of possession. The correct call could have iced game for HOP.
That was the biggest missed call that I can remember. Not sure Hopkins scores there, but definitely a better look that the Melendez twisting, diving, one handed shot
tech37

Post by tech37 »

coda wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:57 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:53 pm

That was the biggest missed call that I can remember. Not sure Hopkins scores there, but definitely a better look that the Melendez twisting, diving, one handed shot
Not sure either but could have put Hop unreleasable man up in OT ;)
azim21

Post by azim21 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:24 pm

If every sport that has a replay review system has the rule that if you are still unsure after replay, you revert to the call on the field it'd be ridiculous for lacrosse to not do the same. Not only that, but I think that's the right way to do it. Go back to what the call would be if you never even had a replay review in place. If it goes against your team then yes obviously you want it not that way, but I think that's the right way it should be done. Use the technology, if you're still unsure, go back to what the original call was without the help of technology. It doesn't end the debate, but I don't think choosing which one you think it may be is the fair way to go about it. Plus that might even cause more debate. At least with the way you do it now you can say the call was what it would've been had we never used the technology. That said, I do think his foot was in the crease but I can't say with 100% certainty that it is (stupid blue lines).
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Can we replay the 13 turnovers, or the 6 failed clears by Hopkins in the second half? Or, the 2 shots (0 goals) in the 4th qtr ? Million call was questionable but not as obvious as Ledmon for Duke last year.
Seriously, when has a Hopkins team in a tournament game has had six failed clears in a half? Maybe never ——
blx9

Post by blx9 »

Finster wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:02 pm
blx9 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:46 pm

Since the coach then was Petro, and today it’s Milliman, yes.

Regardless of the HC, I think 2015 Hopkins beats 2024 UVA (that we saw in the quarterfinal game) handedly.

That JHU attack never would have been held pointless the entire 4q and OTs. When the chips are down and it’s put up or shut up those 3 players would have made it happen. I’m sure that save by Kyle B late in the FF game still stings.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”