The Biden - Harris Era.

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Brooklyn

Re: The Biden - Harris Era.

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:54 pm

To be fair Brooklyn, Trump didn't cause Covid, right?
He made a bunch of really stupid statements and moves, but Covid is what cost jobs in the short run.
Trump goosed the economy with tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations, promising reduced deficits...which made no sense, but did goose the economy...until Covid hit...

And likewise, really can't give Biden all the credit in recovery of employment. Some for sure, as he didn't f-it-up, and the general policies of making sure the economy was running full steam did lead to best growth of any developed economy in the world, coupled with major infrastructure spending that's going to be an engine that fuels growth for another decade...unless f'd-up.

Re tRump and Covid, we've gone over this a hundred times already. He handcuffed the CDC thereby opening the door to the massive fatalities and shutting down of the economy. Everyone knows that it was tRump's failure to order quarantine that caused the massive outbreak (this while Cuomo was blamed for spreading the disease in NY as airline passengers brought in the disease from Europe), no need to repeat what we've settled so long ago.

Contrary to your warped views, Biden must be accorded full credit for improving the economy screwed up by tRump. While the GOPiss blames him for inflation he has kept the USA at the seventh lowest inflation rate in the world. He could do a little better by directing all those billions he is sending to Israel and overseas into domestic infrastructure campaigns. Of course, Congress can help by ending all overseas tax shelters as we've discussed before.

We'll see what happens next.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:19 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:02 pm I read somewhere online that the majority of the public has more confidence about the economy in tRump rather than Biden. Interesting if true because tRump caused record unemployment whereas Biden has record job creation. Will be interesting to see how this issue develops during the campaign which is just around the corner.
He made a bunch of really stupid statements and moves, but Covid is what cost jobs in the short run.
Trump goosed the economy with tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations, promising reduced deficits...which made no sense, but did goose the economy...until Covid hit...

And likewise, really can't give Biden all the credit in recovery of employment. Some for sure, as he didn't f-it-up, and the general policies of making sure the economy was running full steam did lead to best growth of any developed economy in the world, coupled with major infrastructure spending that's going to be an engine that fuels growth for another decade...unless f'd-up.
Hey….at least brooksie understands the pulse of the people. You don’t get it b/c you are edumacated with a popped collar and a sweater toes around your neck. Most voters can barely find Maryland on a map….and you expect them to rationalize your comment…cmon man.

Most people had discretionary cash under Trump….that’s all they need to understand.
:) What are sweater toes?
Never went popped collar even when that was in fashion.

Yes, until they didn't have discretionary anything. And they don't care about national debt. F-our kids.

If you're saying that most people are too dumb to understand what has happened economically and why, are too dense to understand that that the US has had the strongest rebound from Covid damage, lower unemployment, stronger wage growth, less inflation than any other large developed economy, are too brainwashed by right wing media to distinguish between fact and propaganda, well, that's a problem in a whole lot of ways.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:48 pm

Re tRump and Covid, we've gone over this a hundred times already. He handcuffed the CDC thereby opening the door to the massive fatalities and shutting down of the economy. Everyone knows that it was tRump's failure to order quarantine that caused the massive outbreak (this while Cuomo was blamed for spreading the disease in NY as airline passengers brought in the disease from Europe), no need to repeat what we've settled so long ago.

Contrary to your warped views, Biden must be accorded full credit for improving the economy screwed up by tRump. While the GOPiss blames him for inflation he has kept the USA at the seventh lowest inflation rate in the world. He could do a little better by directing all those billions he is sending to Israel and overseas into domestic infrastructure campaigns. Of course, Congress can help by ending all overseas tax shelters as we've discussed before.

We'll see what happens next.
Brooklyn,
You have quite the imagination. I agree that Trump screwed the pooch in his bumbling reaction to the danger, indeed causing more trauma and deaths than necessary, but no country escaped, no economy escaped. To me that means that the US under any President wasn't going to escape massive trauma as well.

And no President is solely responsible for what goes well or badly in the economy. I give Biden a ton of credit for having a relatively steady hand, as well as managing to pass bipartisan long term investments that will drive good economic results for another generation as long as we don't f-it up somehow.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 8:46 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:19 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:02 pm I read somewhere online that the majority of the public has more confidence about the economy in tRump rather than Biden. Interesting if true because tRump caused record unemployment whereas Biden has record job creation. Will be interesting to see how this issue develops during the campaign which is just around the corner.

Hey….at least brooksie understands the pulse of the people. You don’t get it b/c you are edumacated with a popped collar and a sweater toes around your neck. Most voters can barely find Maryland on a map….and you expect them to rationalize your comment…cmon man.

Most people had discretionary cash under Trump….that’s all they need to understand.
:) What are sweater toes?
Never went popped collar even when that was in fashion.

Yes, until they didn't have discretionary anything. And they don't care about national debt. F-our kids.

If you're saying that most people are too dumb to understand what has happened economically and why, are too dense to understand that that the US has had the strongest rebound from Covid damage, lower unemployment, stronger wage growth, less inflation than any other large developed economy, are too brainwashed by right wing media to distinguish between fact and propaganda, well, that's a problem in a whole lot of ways.
oops. Sweated "tied"...auto correct got me.

You are making my point.....and when they didn't, guess who came along, exactly. You know full well most people can barel balance a check book or even make to grocery store without GPS. It has nothing to do with brainwashed right media.....it has everything to do with the immediate, right now, in this moment, instant gratification, and maybe one or two partisan points like weed, abortion, race. And for many it really boils down to 'safety' how do I perceive a POTUS to keep my family safe; most people will whether the storm with money issues.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ Once again, we've gone over the fact that there were many countries with FAR lower Covid fatality cases due to government intervention which that idiot tRump refused to do.

It's not worth going into again as you will just ignore any posts or re-posts on this matter.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:56 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:51 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:13 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:09 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:40 am Garland in Contempt? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-69022395
Assume that the GOP House Oversight Committee contempt citation is issued. Now what happens?

The President has interposed executive privilege against disclosure of the videotapes. The DOJ will likely contest the legal basis for the subpoenaed materials, asserting that the Congress does not have an appropriate legislative purpose for the disclosure, and that the disclosure of the transcripts was sufficient for any such purposes in any event.

I know you have registered your disagreement with Trump's interposition of executive privilege on many...whoa, strike that.

So a case is filed in the federal district court in Washington, House Oversight v. Garland. The Court issues an order quashing the contempt and effectively validating the DOJ's/Garland's measured and lawful approach to evaluation of the subpoena and DOJ's decision to contest its scope and purpose. Appeal is had to the DC Circuit, and a briefing schedule is published and the case is briefed and argued.

Where in the foregoing is the GOP Majority doing anything that helps Americans? Do you not understand that this is all of the mishmash you purport to hate, but now, as it is coming from Comer the Gomer, you seem OK with it. Weird. Wonder what the legal authority "bubblebathgirl" thinks?
Objection. speculation. "Sustained"
Ahh, clever reply that I can label, "YA takes the Fifth."
The plot thickens (my little pretty) .....love the video and background music by Luna, makes it kinda scary... :lol:

https://x.com/MJTruthUltra/status/1791473442237075779
Performative nonsense that you pass on. You are a purposeful or unwitting agent of deep MAGA bullsh@t. But you got Jesus going on, so you’re good.
Curious, as an attorney what is your take on this idea…

If they released the transcripts of the interview, does that not nullify executive privilege in releasing the actual audio? If no, why? Otherwise the argument is that the transcript and audio differ, no?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:12 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:56 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:51 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:13 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:09 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 8:40 am Garland in Contempt? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-69022395
Assume that the GOP House Oversight Committee contempt citation is issued. Now what happens?

The President has interposed executive privilege against disclosure of the videotapes. The DOJ will likely contest the legal basis for the subpoenaed materials, asserting that the Congress does not have an appropriate legislative purpose for the disclosure, and that the disclosure of the transcripts was sufficient for any such purposes in any event.

I know you have registered your disagreement with Trump's interposition of executive privilege on many...whoa, strike that.

So a case is filed in the federal district court in Washington, House Oversight v. Garland. The Court issues an order quashing the contempt and effectively validating the DOJ's/Garland's measured and lawful approach to evaluation of the subpoena and DOJ's decision to contest its scope and purpose. Appeal is had to the DC Circuit, and a briefing schedule is published and the case is briefed and argued.

Where in the foregoing is the GOP Majority doing anything that helps Americans? Do you not understand that this is all of the mishmash you purport to hate, but now, as it is coming from Comer the Gomer, you seem OK with it. Weird. Wonder what the legal authority "bubblebathgirl" thinks?
Objection. speculation. "Sustained"
Ahh, clever reply that I can label, "YA takes the Fifth."
The plot thickens (my little pretty) .....love the video and background music by Luna, makes it kinda scary... :lol:

https://x.com/MJTruthUltra/status/1791473442237075779
Performative nonsense that you pass on. You are a purposeful or unwitting agent of deep MAGA bullsh@t. But you got Jesus going on, so you’re good.
Curious, as an attorney what is your take on this idea…

If they released the transcripts of the interview, does that not nullify executive privilege in releasing the actual audio? If no, why? Otherwise the argument is that the transcript and audio differ, no?
Yes, I think that is a valid argument; production of the transcript voluntarily effectively waives the assertion of privilege to the videotape. It will depend, among other things, I whether the voluntary production of the transcript reserved or tried to reserve the privilege to anything else, such as the video and audio. But yes, that is an argument the Committee could make. The real problem will be the broader question of whether Congress/the Committee has any basis for wanting any of it in the first place due to the (pretty clear to me, anyway) absence of a legislative purpose for the materials.

If we could keep the conversation about things like this -- that have a basis in reality and reason, and not the Luna silliness or other stupid twittersphere idiocy -- that would be nice. Once you invoke a GOP member of Congress for nearly any proposition, the conversation goes down the sewer.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:50 am ^ Once again, we've gone over the fact that there were many countries with FAR lower Covid fatality cases due to government intervention which that idiot tRump refused to do.

It's not worth going into again as you will just ignore any posts or re-posts on this matter.
You and I agree more than you want to admit. I agree that Trump's slow response, denial of reality, cost many, many lives. That said, a heck of a lot of our peers also struggled and had awful death rates per capita as well.

I just don't think that he cost the economy more than pretty much every other developed country suffered.

And you really should by now that I despise Trump and am not going to cut him any undeserved slack. I just think it's more credible to be clear-eyed about this sort of thing.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:18 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:50 am ^ Once again, we've gone over the fact that there were many countries with FAR lower Covid fatality cases due to government intervention which that idiot tRump refused to do.

You and I agree more than you want to admit. I agree that Trump's slow response, denial of reality, cost many, many lives. That said, a heck of a lot of our peers also struggled and had awful death rates per capita as well.

I just don't think that he cost the economy more than pretty much every other developed country suffered.

And you really should by now that I despise Trump and am not going to cut him any undeserved slack. I just think it's more credible to be clear-eyed about this sort of thing.
Funny how both Andrew Cuomo and Gavin Newsom had nothing but good things to say about the assistance trump provided them when they asked for it. Andy wanted to convert the Javits Center to a temporary hospital, wish granted. Andy wanted the hospital ship Mercy to serve the same purpose in NY harbor. Wish granted. There was a lot of knee jerk spending that sadly wasted a lot of taxpayer money in the rush to do something. The money wasted at the Javits Center and the Mercy ship were primary reasons why sometimes rushing headfirst to do something isn't always the right thing to do. Unless throwing money 🤑 willy nilly at a problem that literally no one was familiar with. COVID was a learning experience for everyone.

My wife was redeployed for 3 months to be a nurse at Rochester General Hospital with the expectations of large numbers of COVID cases. FTR it was an unnecessary waste of money, time and human resources. My wife went to work every morning with no job assignment and pretty much nothing constructive to use her nursing skills on. She wandered around the floor checking patients BG levels. My wife stated it best...a trained monkey could have done what they asked of her to do. The entire redeployment of medical people was a collosal waste of time and resources. So the question is... what is the more prudent course of action? Is it wiser to act too fast or too slow?
BStating your intentions were good doesn't excuse the fact that too many poor decisions were made out of fear. Those poor decisions also cost millions of dollars wasted not that it matters.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:42 am

Funny how both Andrew Cuomo and Gavin Newsom had nothing but good things to say about the assistance trump provided them when they asked for it. Andy wanted to convert the Javits Center to a temporary hospital, wish granted. Andy wanted the hospital ship Mercy to serve the same purpose in NY harbor. Wish granted. There was a lot of knee jerk spending that sadly wasted a lot of taxpayer money in the rush to do something. The money wasted at the Javits Center and the Mercy ship were primary reasons why sometimes rushing headfirst to do something isn't always the right thing to do. Unless throwing money 🤑 willy nilly at a problem that literally no one was familiar with. COVID was a learning experience for everyone.

My wife was redeployed for 3 months to be a nurse at Rochester General Hospital with the expectations of large numbers of COVID cases. FTR it was an unnecessary waste of money, time and human resources. My wife went to work every morning with no job assignment and pretty much nothing constructive to use her nursing skills on. She wandered around the floor checking patients BG levels. My wife stated it best...a trained monkey could have done what they asked of her to do. The entire redeployment of medical people was a collosal waste of time and resources. So the question is... what is the more prudent course of action? Is it wiser to act too fast or too slow?
BStating your intentions were good doesn't excuse the fact that too many poor decisions were made out of fear. Those poor decisions also cost millions of dollars wasted not that it matters.
Cuomo and Newsom kissed butt to be sure they got resources. I don't have any problem with that, though it shouldn't be necessary.

But if your general point is that no one really knew what to do, what was the actual best course of action, sure. Lots of errors in retrospect.

But telling the country it was contained (when they, thus Trump, knew it wasn't) and telling the country that it would 'go away in the spring' when there was zero basis to think so, speculating about shining light into the body, cleaners, horse pills,...all did serious damage. And it's quite clear that where MAGA is strongest, by county and state, were the worst in terms of death rates.

But the disease ravaged a whole lot of countries not led by Trump...not run by MAGA Republicans...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

To which pandemic is he referring? https://x.com/rncresearch/status/179234 ... a82I2GssRg

Or did he already know about it 😉
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

pandemic?

no sweat - just a little Clorox will solve everything:

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:22 pm

Cuomo and Newsom kissed butt to be sure they got resources. I don't have any problem with that, though it shouldn't be necessary.

But if your general point is that no one really knew what to do, what was the actual best course of action, sure. Lots of errors in retrospect.

But telling the country it was contained (when they, thus Trump, knew it wasn't) and telling the country that it would 'go away in the spring' when there was zero basis to think so, speculating about shining light into the body, cleaners, horse pills,...all did serious damage. And it's quite clear that where MAGA is strongest, by county and state, were the worst in terms of death rates.

But the disease ravaged a whole lot of countries not led by Trump...not run by MAGA Republicans...
Your overlooking the fact they begged for millions of dollars because they were in full fledged panic mode. The projects they used the money for ultimately were a waste of time and money and valuable human resources. Your initial point was that trump did nothing. In the case of Cuomo and Newsom he gave them what they asked for. Who knows, maybe when the next pandemic hits everything will run as smoothly as a Swiss watch? Rule one is start by throwing a lot of money at it. :roll: Covid was or should have been a learning experience for everyone. I'm not sure anyone in government learned anything from Covid. That comes as no surprise to me. I do know first hand that the State of NY found out in a hurry that the states unemployment system was FUBAR. They hadn't updated their computer system in decades. In failing to prepare then your prepared to fail.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:41 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:22 pm

Your overlooking the fact they begged for millions of dollars because they were in full fledged panic mode. The projects they used the money for ultimately were a waste of time and money and valuable human resources. Your initial point was that trump did nothing. In the case of Cuomo and Newsom he gave them what they asked for. Who knows, maybe when the next pandemic hits everything will run as smoothly as a Swiss watch? Rule one is start by throwing a lot of money at it. :roll: Covid was or should have been a learning experience for everyone. I'm not sure anyone in government learned anything from Covid. That comes as no surprise to me. I do know first hand that the State of NY found out in a hurry that the states unemployment system was FUBAR. They hadn't updated their computer system in decades. In failing to prepare then your prepared to fail.
I'm not sure there's any actual disagreement.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:15 pm To which pandemic is he referring? https://x.com/rncresearch/status/179234 ... a82I2GssRg

swine flu was worst one, zika and ebola were significant scares.

None were remotely akin to Covid, thank goodness.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:15 pm To which pandemic is he referring? https://x.com/rncresearch/status/179234 ... a82I2GssRg

Watch Biden's slurring of words and trailing off into nonsense that he exhibits on a regular basis these days. This isn't normal, folksy, speech-impediment Joe. Its full-blown dementia. I see it daily with a family member we care for.

He was hopped up on adderal or an amphetamine for the SotU address. All the signs were there. When he's not on speed, it is by the book dementia. An absolute train wreck.

I said it before, Joe isn't likely to make it through a second term. Unless the Democrats want to continue to 'Weekend at Bernie's' him.
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:35 am

Watch Biden's slurring of words and trailing off into nonsense that he exhibits on a regular basis these days. This isn't normal, folksy, speech-impediment Joe. Its full-blown dementia. I see it daily with a family member we care for.

He was hopped up on adderal or an amphetamine for the SotU address. All the signs were there. When he's not on speed, it is by the book dementia. An absolute train wreck.

I said it before, Joe isn't likely to make it through a second term. Unless the Democrats want to continue to 'Weekend at Bernie's' him.
Same goes for Trump, Kram. If you're going to keep hitting Biden for not making sense, and getting people and places confused.......

Pretty obvious Biden wouldn't be running if Trump wasn't running. So we're pretty much all to blame for this mess.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:45 am

Same goes for Trump, Kram. If you're going to keep hitting Biden for not making sense, and getting people and places confused.......

Pretty obvious Biden wouldn't be running if Trump wasn't running. So we're pretty much all to blame for this mess.
It's pretty comical how eager right wing cult members are to believe that Biden has totally lost it and refuse to look at the batsh-t craziness and confusion of Trump.

The way I see it is that Trump has enough faculties to hire 'loyalists' who will enact a form of authoritarianism, with all sorts of huge consequences, while Biden has enough faculties to continue to hire pretty reasonable and competent people who will not be extreme. The latter may make mistakes, but are not a threat to core principles of our country.

And they and those around them are pretty darn clear about this.

I wonder what will happen if Trump actually shows up to debate Biden under the rules that only allow one speaker at a time, with microphone turned off when not their turn. And no audience to play to beyond the moderator and camera.

Or will Trump bail on this 'promise' like he bailed on his promises to testify under oath?

I think both will make some flubs, but I suspect it will be pretty darn apparent that Trump is a complete mess on logic and policy details whereas Biden (surprisingly) comes across as knowledgeable and competent mentally, at least for the most part.

Man, I wish the Dems had run a primary with Biden declaring victory and stepping aside. So much easier to bury Trump if they had, I think.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:50 am

It's pretty comical how eager right wing cult members are to believe that Biden has totally lost it and refuse to look at the batsh-t craziness and confusion of Trump.

The way I see it is that Trump has enough faculties to hire 'loyalists' who will enact a form of authoritarianism, with all sorts of huge consequences, while Biden has enough faculties to continue to hire pretty reasonable and competent people who will not be extreme. The latter may make mistakes, but are not a threat to core principles of our country.

I wonder what will happen if Trump actually shows up to debate Biden under the rules that only allow one speaker at a time, with microphone turned off when not their turn. And no audience to play to beyond the moderator and camera.

Or will Trump bail on this 'promise' like he bailed on his promises to testify under oath?

I think both will make some flubs, but I suspect it will be pretty darn apparent that Trump is a complete mess on logic and policy details whereas Biden (surprisingly) comes across as knowledgeable and competent mentally, at least for the most part.

Man, I wish the Dems had run a primary with Biden declaring victory and stepping aside. So much easier to bury Trump if they had, I think.

Rose-colored glasses. :lol: :lol:

Sounds like your are trying to convince yourself with that post. :roll: :roll:

Joe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:07 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:50 am

Rose-colored glasses. :lol: :lol:

Sounds like your are trying to convince yourself with that post. :roll: :roll:

Joe
If Trump shows up.

Why do you think he didn't testify on his own behalf after promising so many times to do so?
Serious question.

Yes, I hope Trump is exposed as the POS he really is and the mental mess I believe him to be as well. I don't know whether Biden can do that though, so it's only a hope that the format can help. Biden has never been the sharpest knife in the drawer, never particularly good on his feet, has the problem of his stuttering, words not matching thoughts, and he's inarguably old and increasingly less vigorous.

But Biden is definitely knowledgeable and competent mentally, and yet MAGA world has convinced themselves of the opposite. Low bar for him.

And they've convinced themselves that Trump is a master of the universe...high bar for him.

which is why he may just not show up again.

Return to “POLITICS”