Semifinal Two -- Syracuse v. BC

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Semifinal Two -- Syracuse v. BC

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Third time this year, this time to make the final. I think Syracuse is capable of doing it, but just think it is unlikely. BC looked pretty sharp against Michigan. Still, the regular season meeting between these two was 11-10 in OT in Chestnut Hill. I'll be a dutiful homer and say Syracuse wins, 12-11 (but I am pretty sure I don't believe it).
Justalaxdad

Re: Semifinal Two -- Syracuse v. BC

Post by Justalaxdad »

Man, it's hard to pick against BC in this one with the history. BC has clearly found another gear since the loss to UVA. That seemed to awaken them. I'm going with my heart over my head and picking Syracuse in a barn burner, 15-14. Admittedly this is what I want to happen, not so sure it will. I really want to see a first time champion crowned on Sunday.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Should be a sky high intensity game. The unfortunate side effect will be that neither team will have enough gas left in the tank when they're done with each other to finish the job against Northwestern. This will probably be such a blood and guts struggle that 40 hours will not be sufficient for either team to be fully replenished physically, mentally and/or emotionally in time for Sunday's high noon clash with the defending champs.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Are we so sure, so literally solidified that Florida cannot pull off this upset? I for one never thought Florida would make it this far but in watching the last couple of games . I think they may be able to do it and that would be something.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Fischer wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:38 am Are we so sure, so literally solidified that Florida cannot pull off this upset? I for one never thought Florida would make it this far but in watching the last couple of games . I think they may be able to do it and that would be something.
I think all the teams left are capable of beating each other.

However, I think the odds are in favor of NU and BC meeting again in the final.

Florida just had a big, emotional victory--how much will they have left? Meanwhile, Syracuse has talent and has been tested over the season, but can they get past what may be a mental roadblock with BC?

I think how the teams handle the pressure and emotions of the experience of the weekend is a big factor, and I think that favors NU and BC.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Fischer wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 9:38 am Are we so sure, so literally solidified that Florida cannot pull off this upset? I for one never thought Florida would make it this far but in watching the last couple of games . I think they may be able to do it and that would be something.
For all intents and purposes--Yes. No way they pull the upset.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I have not, truth be told, seen Florida play except for twice this year: their contests against UVA and MD in the tournament. They appear to have good experience all over the field, and I like the offense that seems able to attack from the goalie-left elbow (Hall), GLE and below GLE (Gonzalez) and from the top (Pavanelli/Heller). They've shown more discipline than I have seen in the past; fewer cards, more restraint. The goalie seemed OK. Florida's defense seemed good, not great -- and wasn't challenged in any significant way by UVA or the Terps.

Florida can compete at the draw, and needs a hefty advantage there with exceptional efficiency on offense to stay with NU.

But to my mind neither UVA nor Maryland had the offense -- and the near-nasty grit -- of NU's offense, or the athletes. Scane and Taylor are simply world class athletes, and not merely terrific lacrosse players. So I would love to think Florida can pick off the champs, but I am seeing an NU win here.

So I am working overtime: lighting candles, prayers to the Sky Man with Beard, getting a rabbit's foot, wasting some salt over my shoulder, trying out rally cap configurations. What else can I do?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Meaghan Tyrrell and Emma Ward weigh in on playing BC

This was on The Meg Show podcast earlier this season. Episode 6.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:02 pm So I am working overtime: lighting candles, prayers to the Sky Man with Beard, getting a rabbit's foot, wasting some salt over my shoulder, trying out rally cap configurations. What else can I do?
I dunno but I'm going out to get a corned beef brisket today.
Oh, and kissing the nose of a black lab brings good luck too,
I've got that one covered with my ballaholic friend too (this
guy's the best).
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:56 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:02 pm So I am working overtime: lighting candles, prayers to the Sky Man with Beard, getting a rabbit's foot, wasting some salt over my shoulder, trying out rally cap configurations. What else can I do?
I dunno but I'm going out to get a corned beef brisket today.
Oh, and kissing the nose of a black lab brings good luck too,
I've got that one covered with my ballaholic friend too (this
guy's the best).
Anything else you can think of? You probably know some weird dances? German good luck traditions?

How's your boy healing up after the fall? He sure looks prime!
DMac

Post by DMac »

He's doing great, as if nothing ever happened....very lucky boy.
Thanks for asking.
Can't think of any German practices that bring good luck. Hell,
they even sacrifice the rabbit's foot for hasenpfeffer. Don't have
my boy Alfie (RIP) to check in with for some dances either, got
nothing there (I called him when he was out in Denver at the
World Games when there was a lightening/rain delay for the US
v Iroquois game and asked him if he'd tell his boys to knock the
rain dance stuff off....he was a gem of a human being). Will see
what else I can come up with though.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

nomofogo wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 8:23 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-d2DtOB6RY 2014 rain delay in Denver
:D
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Lots of channeling the supernatural going on here. True, the recent matchups have favored BC, but the Eagles might welcome a little divine intervention to slow down #8 -- she has been other-worldly among mere mortals. If anyone can figure it out, it’s Apuzzo and Co., but I imagine their nights are not restful.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Mashewske's prowess on the draw hasn't impeded BC thus far this season. The regular season OT loss had Syracuse winning the draw 14 to 11 with 8 for Mashewske. The 15-8 ACC playoff loss had Syracuse winning the draw 18 to 9 with 12 to Mashewske.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Too Funny

On this weeks Meg Show podcast, Meg Carney, in a moment of candor, expresses her frustration/exasperation with having to play Boston College...again.

0:14 clip
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bitter sweet day, we get to see this year's creme de la creme play today, four teams still standing, down to two at day's end.
The two survivors play for the Crown on Sunday, then there's no more college wlax to watch for a looong time. That's a bummer
(looking forward to AU though). Enjoy.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

DMac wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:06 am Bitter sweet day, we get to see this year's creme de la creme play today, four teams still standing, down to two at day's end.
The two survivors play for the Crown on Sunday, then there's no more college wlax to watch for a looong time. That's a bummer
(looking forward to AU though). Enjoy.
To me its always sad to see players you’ve watched for years and is their last game because you know teams will be changing next year and those players you’ll never see them play again. That was always sad to me Memorial Day weekend..
OuttaNowhereWregget

Madlax59 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:12 am To me its always sad to see players you’ve watched for years and is their last game because you know teams will be changing next year and those players you’ll never see them play again.
Ditto
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Baxter really needs to clean up her shot selection.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”