Virginia
54%
Maryland
46%

Total votes: 54

pcowlax

Re: SF #6 Virginia vs #7 Maryland Saturday @2:30

Post by pcowlax »

If you can time the backup right, full length shot in face of active 10 man, empty net is a fantastic option that teams should do more of.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:44 am If you can time the backup right, full length shot in face of active 10 man, empty net is a fantastic option that teams should do more of.
I usually don’t like tinkering with the rules but that desperation full length fling to no one should be possession to the other team if not caught or on cage.
coda

Post by coda »

blue angels wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:03 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:44 am If you can time the backup right, full length shot in face of active 10 man, empty net is a fantastic option that teams should do more of.
I usually don’t like tinkering with the rules but that desperation full length fling to no one should be possession to the other team if not caught or on cage.
I think there should be some adjustment to the rule. There are some terrible heaves that get called a shot.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

How bout a long pass to the uva goalie. Opposing attack times devastating smash hit as the ball arrives. Set play.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:52 am
Finster wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:33 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:53 pm This will be Virginia in a big way. Maryland can not stay with them offensively.

Maryland doubled up a potent Princeton offense.

Maryland requires two critical pieces to thrive: FOGO and goalie play. If they get those, they can win and it shouldn’t surprise you. Might not be a blowout, but they absolutely can win.

If either of those two pieces falters, UVA will come away the victor.

So, if you claim ‘Virginia will win in a big way’, you’re also claiming either Weirman or McNaney won’t perform.

There is no way Maryland performs as badly as they did at home versus UVA on March 16, losing (only) 14-10. These stats will not happen again, indeed they might invert:

GB’s

UVA: 37
MD: 25

CT’s:

UVA: 12
MD: 7

TO’s:

UVA: 11
MD: 16

Weirman: 57% (by his standards, meh)
McNaney: 36% (ooof)

Careful here…MD has a great shot at winning.
Maryland doubled up a potent offense by going against an Ivy defense.

Maryland has a 1/3 chance of winning. Whether that counts as "great" is a matter of opinion and reflects your analysis that Maryland needs its to best players to perform to win whereas Virginia is less dependent on any two guys. Wierman's best two games have come against Princeton and the injured Naso. Otherwise, his game against Virginia was about as much as Maryland could reasonably expect.

Can McNaney make up the difference? Would take a heroic performance and Cormier isn't going 1/11 again. However, Schutz isn't going to score four goals again, so Maryland can hope to hold Virginia to 12 or fewer goals. The issue is whether Maryland can score 11 or 12? Not sure a team with its shooting over the season will get to 12 absent Lars starting Nunes to hand out some freebies.

Is that the same defense with Michael Gianforoco in goal? You know, the 10th highest save percentage goalie in D1.

Too many people are shortchanging the Terps here.
Last edited by Finster on Tue May 21, 2024 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

coda wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:15 pm
I think there should be some adjustment to the rule. There are some terrible heaves that get called a shot.
Definitely not saying I love the rule but for now it is what it is and if there is an empty net and the D is ever in trouble from the ride, there is no reason not to chuck it at net.
coda

Post by coda »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:30 pm
Definitely not saying I love the rule but for now it is what it is and if there is an empty net and the D is ever in trouble from the ride, there is no reason not to chuck it at net.
I agree. You can park 2 attackmen near the end-line before the ball crosses midfield to back-up and also throw the deep pass (usually in the corner). The key to any 10 man ride is to have pressure on the ball. Maryland has to be ready to shoot at midfield, if they dont have pressure on them.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

Finster wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:25 pm
Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:52 am Maryland doubled up a potent offense by going against an Ivy defense.

Maryland has a 1/3 chance of winning. Whether that counts as "great" is a matter of opinion and reflects your analysis that Maryland needs its to best players to perform to win whereas Virginia is less dependent on any two guys. Wierman's best two games have come against Princeton and the injured Naso. Otherwise, his game against Virginia was about as much as Maryland could reasonably expect.

Can McNaney make up the difference? Would take a heroic performance and Cormier isn't going 1/11 again. However, Schutz isn't going to score four goals again, so Maryland can hope to hold Virginia to 12 or fewer goals. The issue is whether Maryland can score 11 or 12? Not sure a team with its shooting over the season will get to 12 absent Lars starting Nunes to hand out some freebies.

Is that the same defense with Michael Gianforoco in goal? You know, the 10th highest save percentage goalie in D1.

Princeton and Gianforoco gave up 29 goals in 2 games against an anemic Maryland offense. I think the Terps win this game 1/3 of the time solely on the strength of Wierman. I also am the record that the Terps had a better chance of upsetting Duke than most thought.

That being said, I fully expect to shortchange them next year .
coda

Post by coda »

Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:40 pm
Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:52 am Maryland doubled up a potent offense by going against an Ivy defense.

Princeton and Gianforoco gave up 29 goals in 2 games against an anemic Maryland offense. I think the Terps win this game 1/3 of the time solely on the strength of Wierman. I also am the record that the Terps had a better chance of upsetting Duke than most thought.

Gohbriel was 50% vs Wierman in the last game. I never like to predict FOGO match-ups, but I would not have a lot of confidence that Weirman will dominate this one. This is best FOGO group Weirman has seen the last 3-4 weeks. I think he fairs well, but I am doubtful that he puts in a dominant performance.
Finster

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:08 pm

Gohbriel was 50% vs Wierman in the last game. I never like to predict FOGO match-ups, but I would not have a lot of confidence that Weirman will dominate this one. This is best FOGO group Weirman has seen the last 3-4 weeks. I think he fairs well, but I am doubtful that he puts in a dominant performance.

Probably relevant to note that Maryland’s season game versus UVA was Weirman’s first game back from injury. He went 57%.

He didn’t begin to dominate for three more games.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

I believe back in the day, a shot had to go through the "cylinder" to count as such, at least in New England. Not sure when that changed as when I came back to the game it was based on intent. I wouldn't mind an adjustment such that shots from the D zone have to pass through same cylinder to count.
coda

Post by coda »

Finster wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:02 pm

Probably relevant to note that Maryland’s season game versus UVA was Weirman’s first game back from injury. He went 57%.

Dominated Collucci, was 50% vs Ghobriel. I am not sure Ghorbriel was 100% for that game either. He didnt play the next 2 games.
Finster

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:10 pm

Dominated Collucci, was 50% vs Ghobriel. I am not sure Ghorbriel was 100% for that game either. He didnt play the next 2 games.

Roger that.

The only game I can see in the past two years when Ghobriel was meaningfully outmatched was in 2023 versus Villanova’s Coppola, which Coppola won 68-32%.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:40 pm Princeton and Gianforoco gave up 29 goals in 2 games against an anemic Maryland offense. I think the Terps win this game 1/3 of the time solely on the strength of Wierman. I also am the record that the Terps had a better chance of upsetting Duke than most thought.

Speaking of not wanting to predict FOGOs, it's not discussed enough how Lynch essentially flipped a switch during Championship Weekend last year and took it to LaSalla and Naso. What was ND's biggest weakness became a strength overnight, and ND has been nigh unstoppable since.
coda

Post by coda »

Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:22 pm
Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 12:40 pm Princeton and Gianforoco gave up 29 goals in 2 games against an anemic Maryland offense. I think the Terps win this game 1/3 of the time solely on the strength of Wierman. I also am the record that the Terps had a better chance of upsetting Duke than most thought.

Speaking of not wanting to predict FOGOs, it's not discussed enough how Lynch essentially flipped a switch during Championship Weekend last year and took it to LaSalla and Naso. What was ND's biggest weakness became a strength overnight, and ND has been nigh unstoppable since.
Yes, I have said he was probably the MVP of their run. Mostly because of how unexpected that was. Wayer is also a reason I dont think Weirman dominates. He is in discussion for the best wing player in the nation. 50/50 balls are not 50/50, when he is around. That is some added pressure on Weirman
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Laxfan016

Post by Laxfan016 »

Give me the TERPS. UVA D I think is not as strong as many think. After watching last week's game. I honestly think that JHU blew it with awful possessions and sloppiness in the 4th. A Maryland offensive that has seem to comeback to life with how they move the ball is going to make this D look silly. Also, you have Nunes in cage? or is it morris? having some goalie controversy going into the final four is recipe for disaster. Also the TERPS D is back to locking down and Luke at the X will be a reason why TERPS go back to the Natty game.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

Gonna be a blowout...
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

rasheed wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:38 am Gonna be a blowout...
Could be. But Duke should have been a blowout too.
cmbtp88

Post by cmbtp88 »

coda wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:10 pm

Collucci was banged up that game as well....I was told Weirman was banged up that game too.......we will see

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”