The ACC is considering kicking teams out!

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LiveLaxLove

The ACC is considering kicking teams out!

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Source:
https://mikefarrellsports.com/college/c ... conference

With big time schools, FSU and Clemson, heading toward leaving the conference, and UNC's BoT doing everything they can to fight in-state politics to leave the conference (North Carolina politicians may be the death of UNC with their ties to ACC leadership, and UNC not being able to answer financial woes... Cutting the lacrosse programs coming soon?), the ACC is now considering kicking out Syracuse, Wake, Boston College, and Duke.

The future of these programs are grim, to say the least. UNC may be right there with them if politicians won't get out of the way.

How long can WLax survive at these schools? Big teams with very little revenue don't do well when it's time to cut budgets. BC's facilities look like a dumpster fire already, we got a great view of what Syracuse thinks about WLax during this year's tournament (see Joe Spallina's comments/Stony Brook's videos of the awful mud tents for locker rooms) and when they moved a conference WLax game to a local high school for a Monster Truck rally in the dome, Duke has basketball revenue and nothing else, and UNC athletics has WLax so tight on their budget that they won't even cover the cost of official visits.

If the sport doesn't figure out a way to draw in fans and revenue, you're going to see quite a change in the sport coming within the next few years. The leadership of the sport better figure out a way to draw eyeballs to create revenue (see women's basketball this past year)! May I suggest we start with how the sport does the draw? It's the most ridiculous thing to a new fan of the sport since wlax didn't have boundaries!
Last edited by LiveLaxLove on Tue May 21, 2024 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeMauer89

Re: The ACC is considering kicking teams out!

Post by JoeMauer89 »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:59 pm https://mikefarrellsports.com/college/c ... conference

With big time schools, FSU and Clemson, heading toward leaving the conference, and UNC's BoT doing everything they can to fight in-state politics to leave the conference (North Carolina politicians may be the death of UNC with their ties to ACC leadership, and UNC not being able to answer financial woes... Cutting the lacrosse programs coming soon?), the ACC is now considering kicking out Syracuse, Wake, Boston College, and Duke.

The future of these programs are grim, to say the least. UNC may be right there with them if politicians won't get out of the way.

How long can WLax survive at these schools? Big teams with very little revenue don't do well when it's time to cut budgets. BC's facilities look like a dumpster fire already, we got a great view of what Syracuse thinks about WLax during this year's tournament (see Joe Spallina's comments/Stony Brook's videos of the awful mud tents for locker rooms) and when they moved a conference WLax game to a local high school for a Monster Truck rally in the dome, Duke has basketball revenue and nothing else, and UNC athletics has WLax so tight on their budget that they won't even cover the cost of official visits.

If the sport doesn't figure out a way to draw in fans and revenue, you're going to see quite a change in the sport coming within the next few years. The leadership of the sport better figure out a way to draw eyeballs to create revenue (see women's basketball this past year)! May I suggest we start with how the sport does the draw? It's the most ridiculous thing to a new fan of the sport since wlax didn't have boundaries!
This is baseless speculation, an opinion piece. There is no other credible source that is even remotely close to reporting this being based in any sort of truth.

Joe
LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Mike Farrell doesn't usually miss. He's the former lead guy of Rivals.com and rose to fame because of his legitimacy.... However, let's say he's wrong. What likelihood is there that any of the schools he's mentioned don't end up with major issues regarding their future?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 11:07 pm
LiveLaxLove wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:59 pm https://mikefarrellsports.com/college/c ... conference

This is baseless speculation, an opinion piece. There is no other credible source that is even remotely close to reporting this being based in any sort of truth.

Joe
Thanks Joe; agreed.

But it does sound like a lot of interesting litigation. At least the lawyers will be OK if it happens.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

LiveLaxLove wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:59 pm Source:
How long can WLax survive at these schools? Big teams with very little revenue don't do well when it's time to cut budgets. BC's facilities look like a dumpster fire already
BC's women's lacrosse facilities are by no means state of the art but they're a far cry from "dumpster fire". The lacrosse field on campus is fine. I was just there in February. Yeah--one has to suffer the indignity of using a porto potty, but there are much worse things in life. Never bothered me none. I've never been to Alumni Stadium. Their field house is brand new. The public isn't allowed at games but it is one of their lacrosse facilities. Actual dumpster fire facilities were Ebbets Field and the Polo Grounds at the end. BC's got a while to go before they reach that level of dilapidation.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:57 amThanks Joe; agreed.

But it does sound like a lot of interesting litigation. At least the lawyers will be OK if it happens.
The running meme surrounding the football conference realignment is the only winner is billable hours.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:38 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:57 amThanks Joe; agreed.

The running meme surrounding the football conference realignment is the only winner is billable hours.
LBO? Large Billing Opportunity.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

If UNC does not pay for official visits, that is the coaching staff and their decision/budget allocations. I guess they think this is OK ... if you REALLY want us, you will pay your own way. With the number of high profile recruits they are able to attract, it seems like a good gamble.

Two things to consider:
    A significant % of nonrevenue athletic funding (men and women) comes from private donations, including parents.
      What is going to hurt non-revenue sports is private/booster dollars are increasingly funneled into NIL collectives and we know where the majority of that money goes.
      njbill

Post by njbill »

Conferences and their membership come and go and shift over time. What conferences have stayed the same with the same members for any appreciable period of time? The Ivy League. That's it.

Wlax has little to nothing to do with the changes. They have to take what is crammed down their throats. That will not change.

With the major changes on the horizon in college sports conferences, who knows how that will impact wlax. The tea leaves suggest that the ACC in its current form (I'm talking wlax here) does not seem to be long for this world.

I (begrudgingly) agree with NIL in concept, but it has gotten perverted right out of the gate. I guess I am OK with Johnny superstar football player making $ off his name, image, and likeness through, say, a deal with Nike. But I am not OK with NIL money going into slush funds to buy recruits and transfers. And I am not OK with these slush funds being funded by deep pocket alums.

End of curmudgeonly old man rant.
      Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:14 pm Conferences and their membership come and go and shift over time. What conferences have stayed the same with the same members for any appreciable period of time? The Ivy League. That's it.

Wlax has little to nothing to do with the changes. They have to take what is crammed down their throats. That will not change.

With the major changes on the horizon in college sports conferences, who knows how that will impact wlax. The tea leaves suggest that the ACC in its current form (I'm talking wlax here) does not seem to be long for this world.

I (begrudgingly) agree with NIL in concept, but it has gotten perverted right out of the gate. I guess I am OK with Johnny superstar football player making $ off his name, image, and likeness through, say, a deal with Nike. But I am not OK with NIL money going into slush funds to buy recruits and transfers. And I am not OK with these slush funds being funded by deep pocket alums.

End of curmudgeonly old man rant.
      +1 gotta agree with this.
      LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:54 am If UNC does not pay for official visits, that is the coaching staff and their decision/budget allocations. I guess they think this is OK ... if you REALLY want us, you will pay your own way. With the number of high profile recruits they are able to attract, it seems like a good gamble.

Two things to consider:
        A significant % of nonrevenue athletic funding (men and women) comes from private donations, including parents.
          What is going to hurt non-revenue sports is private/booster dollars are increasingly funneled into NIL collectives and we know where the majority of that money goes.

HAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: UNC doesn't pay for Official visits? "And it's really hurt their recruiting" :roll: :roll: (sarcasm dripping) Oh well!
          BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

ACC as a whole will probably be changing soon (I’d say within 3 years) :

Clemson, FSU, UNC to BIG or SEC

VT, PITT, Louisville to BIG 12

others- ?

As somebody else said - wlax has nothing to do with this, it is all about football. 2nd- but far away from football, is basketball.

Which means wlax powerhouses Syracuse and BC might be in major trouble.
          forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:48 pm ACC as a whole will probably be changing soon (I’d say within 3 years) :

others- ?

As somebody else said - wlax has nothing to do with this, it is all about football. 2nd- but far away from football, is basketball.

I think you are right about the time frame and the impact of sports funding at BC and Syracuse.

The sport revenue generating ACC schools need to do something or they will be dragged into the abyss. They are carrying way too many non-revenue generating schools. Sure BC and Syracuse women lacrosse are always at the top – but their sports that the generate the revenue- football and basketball teams - bring nothing. March Madness has a “unit” payout they pay conferences based on performance and the ACC was top revenue generator at $34m. This was done on the backs of the 5 teams who made the tournament – UNC, Duke, NC State, Virginia and Clemson. Syracuse hasn’t been the basketball draw they once were and can’t remember the last time BC made March Madness. In Football, the ACC just agreed to a discounted percentage of the College Football Playoffs agreeing to 17%, while the Big Ten and SEC take 30% each. BC and Syracuse football have 4 bowls between them since January 2019 – the illustrious Pinstripe, Boca Rotan, Birmingham and Fenway bowls. And even then are 1-3. I can only imagine how bad the ratings and attendance were for those games. (Football bowl games in NY and Boston in December sound miserable)

Why would FSU, Clemson & UNC to name a few want the deadwood splitting the revenue? Legal claims may or may not be successful, but ESPN also has the ability for an out in the ACC contract. I am sure they have their people looking at what they pay versus the revenue they generate. Sure Clemson v FSU football might be a good game for them, but what about the weekends they have to televise unranked teams or uncompetitive games?
          LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

Now add straight up pay-for-play to the rules (see link below).

If a school like UNC is already having financial trouble, how bad is it going to get when they're required to dump money into player salaries? Think about it like this -- UNC's Athletic Director, Bubba Cunningham, has like 21 National Championships under his belt, but is on the verge of getting fired by the UNC BoT because he can't balance a budget or justify a solution to UNC operating in the negative. If UNC can't find the money through additional income in a new conference, it's only other option is to cut non-revenue programs.

Same with BC, Syracuse, Pitt, UVA, Duke, etc. once the ACC gets Mountain West level payouts after FSU and Clemson leave.

Face it: unless your school is a member of the P2, with a lack of interest in WLax, it's likely resources will be slim if your program even continues to exist. We need the leadership of this sport to find innovative ways to grow demand (again, see Women's Basketball) otherwise the sport may only exist at the intramural level.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ources-say
          LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

BigRedChant wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:48 pm ACC as a whole will probably be changing soon (I’d say within 3 years) :

others- ?

UNC can't go anywhere without NC State, per state law (recently passed a few years ago). The issue is getting the SEC or B1G to take BOTH schools. This state law may end up destroying UNC athletics.
          njbill

Post by njbill »

As I understand it, the state board has to approve a change in conference but there is nothing, in theory, preventing UNC and NC State from being in separate conferences. Now, will the Board in practice require both schools to be in the same conference? Remains to be seen though some commentators think not. Unquestionably it's a mess.
          LiveLaxLove

Post by LiveLaxLove »

To get an idea how horribly state politics get in the way of success in NC, just know the UNC BoT can't meet in a closed session right now because a Duke grad who's now a lawyer flled a restraining order against them. The lawyer has absolutely zero connection to UNC or NC State, but is a massive Duke fanl

Separately, this board that governs both UNC and NC State is ran by a crowd that consists of mostly NC State grads.
          LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

My prediction is that football will be managed outside the NCAA within a few years. This will stop football from being the driver of conference alignment.
          hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:32 am My prediction is that football will be managed outside the NCAA within a few years. This will stop football from being the driver of conference alignment.
          It could also remove football from the Title IX calculations putting many women's sports at risk.
          LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

hmmm wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:11 pm
          LaxDadMax wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:32 am My prediction is that football will be managed outside the NCAA within a few years. This will stop football from being the driver of conference alignment.
          It could also remove football from the Title IX calculations putting many women's sports at risk.
          As long as the school offers the sports, it still counts toward title IX whether the sports is managed by NCAA or a new PR based third-party.

if anything, it would grow olympic sports since overall investment in football by the school will likely increase.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”