49%
Denver
51%

Total votes: 39

Matnum PI

Re: QF #4 Syracuse vs #5 Denver Sunday @ noon

Post by Matnum PI »

Two things I noticed yesterday about SU:
1- Spallina was frequently invisible. Seemed like he spent much of the game behind the cage backing up shots. Struck me as strange. Contrast that with Shellenberger and Millon taking turns grabbing the mic during the UVA game. Very different.
2- The SU d-mids struck me as blatantly weaker than the rest of the players on the SU squad. physically and otherwise. Denver got some unnecessarily close shots that i believe wouldn't have happened if the d-mids were bigger, better. just strikes me as strange that su can't find better d-mids. or maybe i'm missing something...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:39 am Two things I noticed yesterday about SU:
1- Spallina was frequently invisible. Seemed like he spent much of the game behind the cage backing up shots. Struck me as strange. Contrast that with Shellenberger and Millon taking turns grabbing the mic during the UVA game. Very different.
2- The SU d-mids struck me as blatantly weaker than the rest of the players on the SU squad. physically and otherwise. Denver got some unnecessarily close shots that i believe wouldn't have happened if the d-mids were bigger, better. just strikes me as strange that su can't find better d-mids. or maybe i'm missing something...
Agreed.

Spallina has gone invisible a handful of times this season. Doesn't really push the envelope and stays within his role. Not mad at that... But #22 has to be able to make big time plays against big time match ups. 1 goal and 1 assist from the starting attack, and both points were Hiltz's.

Denver's two top Dmids are from Syracuse. Dan Anderson and Jake Edinger... SU could've used both of them.
Finster

Post by Finster »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:48 am
Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:39 am Two things I noticed yesterday about SU:
Agreed.

Spallina has gone invisible a handful of times this season. Doesn't really push the envelope and stays within his role. Not mad at that... But #22 has to be able to make big time plays against big time match ups. 1 goal and 1 assist from the starting attack, and both points were Hiltz's.

Denver's two top Dmids are from Syracuse. Dan Anderson and Jake Edinger... SU could've used both of them.

I wonder if Cuse tried recruiting either or both?
molo

Post by molo »

Coach Gait did make a couple of personnel changes on offense. Leo replaced Mule at in the first or second quarter and I’m not sure Mule got back in the game. In the fourth quarter, the ran an all Canadian offensive midfield almost every possession with Stevens, who normally runs with the second while taking lots of face-off wings and playing EMO, joining Thompson and English. I don’t recall seeing 8 much in the fourth.
Denver’s defensemen are the biggest unit I’ve seen this year except Virginia’s.
DMac

Post by DMac »

What struck me the most is that Syracuse came out from the opening moment lifeless, no fire, no sense of the day, or sense of urgency. Lackadaisical trotting, lazy passing, way too slow to set up, way too sloppy play. Cuse has enough talent to have won the game (ND will have little difficulty with Denver) but their heads were in their aszez for too much of the game. In years gone by you had a unit out there who were three and four year bonded, they were Cuse, brought the tradition, brought the fire, and you had to beat them for sixty minutes. The transfer portal changes that, it's just not the same bonded unit, players are temporary Orange and you can see and feel the difference. Transfer portal sucks.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Agreed.

Not sure what game you guys were watching...Spillina made several attempts to beat D man covering him. When that didn't work SU tried other.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

To the SSDM point, it's been a problem for Syracuse the last couple of years. Carter Rice was very very good this year, but all other shorties seemed to have their issues - the big ones too slow, and the fast ones too small. SU did lose two rotational players to injury early in the season, Max Rosa in a preseason scrimmage and Landon Clary in an early game. That didn't help. It is mystifying that every other DI team employs big, strong athletic players at defensive midfield, and Syracuse would roll out guys who are well below 5 feet. Hopefully it's something they address in the transfer portal, and hopefully Rosa and Clary can come back healthy next year.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Powellfan22 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:21 am ... Carter Rice was very very good this year...
rice stood out and not because he's great but because he's a decent-sized body with good (not great) legs. Just struck me as strange.

I hesitate to say this but I'm saying it anyway. Does anyone remember seeing a 5' 7" 150 lb. (as listed on the website, may be shorter and smaller) d-mid get PT? I've seen short, small longsticks. For sure I've seen short, small players on the O side of the ball or in net. But a d-mid? Just strikes me as really strange.
Caddy Day
DMac

Post by DMac »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:27 am
Powellfan22 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:21 am ... Carter Rice was very very good this year...
rice stood out and not because he's great but because he's a decent-sized body with good (not great) legs. Just struck me as strange.
You need to throw an IMO in there because I certainly don't agree with that. Rice stood out because he's good and very fast.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DMac wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:41 am
Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:27 am
You need to throw an IMO in there because I certainly don't agree with that. Rice stood out because he's good and very fast.
IMO. and, for what it's worth, i also thought he was good. just leaning in a direction to make my point.
Caddy Day
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:02 am
Agreed.

Not sure what game you guys were watching...Spillina made several attempts to beat D man covering him. When that didn't work SU tried other.
Key word: Attempts....
"Doesn't really push the envelope and stays within his role. Not mad at that... But #22 has to be able to make big time plays against big time match ups."
tech37

Post by tech37 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:58 am
Agreed.

"Doesn't really push the envelope and stays within his role. Not mad at that... But #22 has to be able to make big time plays against big time match ups."
Well of course. Old, tired news on this board. Point being, he certainly was not "invisable."
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Agreed.

Baby steps. Start with him not getting stripped, once by a shorty as well.
coda

Post by coda »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:29 pm
Agreed.

Well of course. Old, tired news on this board. Point being, he certainly was not "invisable."
need some help on the attack. Spallina, Hiltz, and Mule attack line, might be the least athletic attack line at seniors tournament. Spallina is mediocre dodger. Mule is non-existant dodger. Hiltz is below-average. Good players, but a lot of redundant skills on that attack unit.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:29 pm ... Point being, he certainly was not "invisable."
His stats were 0 points, 2 shots, 3 turnovers, 4 GBs. You're right. Not invisible but visible in the wrong ways.
Caddy Day
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

coda wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:50 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:29 pm
Agreed.

need some help on the attack. Spallina, Hiltz, and Mule attack line, might be the least athletic attack line at seniors tournament. Spallina is mediocre dodger. Mule is non-existant dodger. Hiltz is below-average. Good players, but a lot of redundant skills on that attack unit.
Mule is gone so that will open up a spot that likely goes to Leo or the incoming Frosh Anderson which should help. I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world to give Hiltz some runs at mid and get another dodger at times on the attack line. SU needs to identify who that player who would be though and if it would work.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

BigTurn wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:42 pm
Agreed.

Baby steps. Start with him not getting stripped, once by a shorty as well.
https://twitter.com/Inside_Lacrosse/sta ... it%2F63448
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Playoff lacrosse . Denver had the physical edge and refs let players play which didn't please some fellow Cuse fans but no complaint here as game called same for both .Cuse players weren't complaining and no flag thrown on any Cuse player including what easily could have been a two minute non releasable on cheap shot before halftime. Prefer watching any sports game when officials not involved much. Cuse team simply needs to get bigger, wider and faster at certain positions. Denver had big mids and Cuse has smaller dm's beyond Rice who isvery good and very fast. -Denver had their small fast kid at x while we had our small speedster playing dm smh, #2 had our d moving that created good openings off swing passes that followed. Cuse team d coordination has improved under Odernia but speedy players gave us problems whether initiated from behind cage or up top.

2025 ? D group as whole made strides will be aided next year by addition of Grace and a few others in wait. g McCool is well regarded go, Mullen will be a top fogo. Not much to add on Spallina or attack, hear complaints about other attack man not being good enuff dodgers affecting but reverse is also true as all pieces are interconnected . Mix obviously needs some enhancements to bring out best as group. . Leo' and Hiltz are two impactful players and Rhoa could develop into one .Additional speed needed especially with Stevens and English ? moving on. Reserve comment HCing
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:01 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:29 pm ... Point being, he certainly was not "invisable."
His stats were 0 points, 2 shots, 3 turnovers, 4 GBs. You're right. Not invisible but visible in the wrong ways.
The point lost on you is, his effort was there. You make if seem as though he wasn't trying. Look I understand his limitations as much as anyone but the kid puts in an effort...constantly.

Post by 1766 »

Spallina being hyped like few others before him did him no favors. I assume his father played a role in this too.

I'd never seen him play until I caught a Cuse game early his first year. It was pretty clear, though a nice player, he wasn't anywhere near the best class in that class. If he was, the class was a poor one overall.

He's a nice player but look at the top ranked guys before and after him. The class after him alone had Duffy, Millon, Kabiri ranked 1-3. You'd take all over those guys over Spallina right now.

Perhaps if he came in with less hype it would have been better for his development. Wearing 22, all of the media attention that was clearly eaten up, though hard to walk away from, likely would have been better for him had that been done.

He's a high IQ player and that is a big plus, but his physical abilities are not top level. He's not quick or particularly strong. That's a tough spot for a top level D1 attackman. Cuse would best be served getting someone else who could draw the top defenseman away due to their dodging ability. Would probably open things up a bit for Spallina so he doesn't have to be the guy, because he isn't.

Tough spot when you are wearing 22.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”