NCAA tournament rosters

D3 Womens Lacrosse
westcoastlax

NCAA tournament rosters

Post by westcoastlax »

The NCAA rules on tournament rosters are disappointing. They need to change.

Only 32 players are allowed to play in a tournament game. Nothing is more disappointing than working hard all season only to be told you can not play in an NCAA tournament game. It is devastating. It is even worse if you find that out on game day. A freshman player was in tears today.

In 2022, only 26 players could play, and 32 could dress. That was a problem with bloated Covid rosters. The new rules are an improvement but still not appropriate. It is not the same tournament and Final Four experience when you are standing on the sidelines and not in uniform. It devalues you as a teammate and a player.
NattyBohChamps04

Re: NCAA tournament rosters

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

So we're talking about a freshman who is 33rd+ on the depth chart? A player who is blaming the NCAA on tourney roster sizes that were well established?

They're not blaming it on the coach? Who didn't let them know the rule in the fall? Or let them know they were on the bubble until gameday? (not even figuring on what D3 coach plays more than ~18 players in a close game anyways) They're really gonna make an impact in an NCAA tourney game as 33+ on the depth chart?

This isn't a last second ruling by the NCAA, it's been in place. The NCAA pays for all tournament travel and play. If you don't think it's right, then contribute an extra few hundred grand every year for the for extra roster slots for each team. Because D3 men's and women's lax is not bringing in the revenue to do so.

Complete and utter failure by the coaching staff in this instance.
JumboDeano20

Post by JumboDeano20 »

westcoastlax wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:08 pm The NCAA rules on tournament rosters are disappointing. They need to change.

Only 32 players are allowed to play in a tournament game. Nothing is more disappointing than working hard all season only to be told you can not play in an NCAA tournament game. It is devastating. It is even worse if you find that out on game day. A freshman player was in tears today.

In 2022, only 26 players could play, and 32 could dress. That was a problem with bloated Covid rosters. The new rules are an improvement but still not appropriate. It is not the same tournament and Final Four experience when you are standing on the sidelines and not in uniform. It devalues you as a teammate and a player.
While I understand where you're coming from, some schools won't even pay for those players that aren't on the game roster to even travel with the team. I've seen some schools make players pay their own way if they're not on the game roster and then have to sit in the stands in sweats, so the opportunity to still warm up and be on the sideline with their teammates is much better than in past seasons. Honestly, if I were a coach, I'd just not tell my 33+ players and if they asked why they didn't get in...I'd just say the game situation didn't allow for it. Who knows...tough situation, and if I were a dad of a daughter this happened to, I'd probably be mad too. But more motivation for next year? Again...tough situation.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

Many factors are at play in who does not dress /play. It is not always the weakest player on the team.

It is not unreasonable to expect the entire roster to play ( playoffs or not) when you have a running clock early in the second quarter. It is hard to feel valued as a teammate when starters are still playing very late in the fourth quarter with a running clock. ( I think that the players on the bench of good teams are also pretty good and are better than the players on the team you are beating by running clock)

If schools are going to recruit and carry a larger roster, they should commit to supporting the whole team. Things like this continue to widen the divide between starters and nonstarters. After watching many games over the years, you can easily tell which teams have better chemistry.
rollwave

Post by rollwave »

I feel like at this time in the year, the time for future roster development has passed (or at least is rightfully not a priority to coaches). Sure, coaches should try to play as many players as possible during blowouts in the regular season, and some coaches definitely do a better job than others. But at this point in the year, I can see why it’s not a priority. I would also argue that in NCAA blowouts, coaches should be trying to play seniors that have gotten little to no playing time in their careers rather than freshmen with the 3 years of opportunity left.

Return to “D3 WOMENS LACROSSE”