NCAA Tournament 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
spidey44

Re: NCAA Tournament 2024

Post by spidey44 »

DMac wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:34 am
spidey44 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:42 am Hope the Semis are a bit more competitive. Definitely a disappointing day from a fan's prospective.
Not all of 'em. ;)
Haha... well that is if you didn't have a rooting interest (or one of your teams got boatraced...)
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:46 am
NULax2 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:53 am May 24 — Semifinals

3 p.m.| (1) Northwestern vs. Florida
5:30 p.m.| (2) Boston College vs. (3) Syracuse
I have to think about it a bit, but I am today skeptical that these will be competitive, in the sense of one-goal games and the risk of overtime, etc.

I was impressed with Florida when they beat UNC and UVA, and was pretty sure they would beat the Faux Fourth Seed -- and they did; it was literally never in doubt. Better ball handling, better shooting, more speed, better goalkeeping; there wasn't anything that Maryland did as well as Florida. And NU has parity on many of those things and much better offense than Maryland. So I'm thinking NU wins this semi by 6 or 7 goals.

Syracuse meets BC for the third time -- not the rubber game, because Cuse lost 10-11 in OT in Chestnut Hill, and then was murdered in Charlotte 15-8. I am just skeptical that Syracuse can get over the physical and mental humps here.
I’m with you. Another BC- NU final rematch. Will it be any different than last year? Doubtful 🤨
LaxUpstate

Post by LaxUpstate »

I have to think about it a bit, but I am today skeptical that these will be competitive, in the sense of one-goal games and the risk of overtime, etc.

I was impressed with Florida when they beat UNC and UVA, and was pretty sure they would beat the Faux Fourth Seed -- and they did; it was literally never in doubt. Better ball handling, better shooting, more speed, better goalkeeping; there wasn't anything that Maryland did as well as Florida. And NU has parity on many of those things and much better offense than Maryland. So I'm thinking NU wins this semi by 6 or 7 goals.

Syracuse meets BC for the third time -- not the rubber game, because Cuse lost 10-11 in OT in Chestnut Hill, and then was murdered in Charlotte 15-8. I am just skeptical that Syracuse can get over the physical and mental humps here.
It’s hard to beat the same team 3 times in a season. For that reason only, I’ll say Cuse wins.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

My Predictions:

Northwestern vs. Florida — Northwestern wins by 3-6

Florida has been on an amazing run and leads the country in win streak & scoring but Northwestern is the better defensive & offensive team. I don’t think Florida’s defense will be able to handle an offense like Northwestern but I think Florida can keep it close with their offense.

Syracuse vs. BC — BC wins by 2-4

It is hard to beat a team 3 times but I think BC’s offense will lead them to a 7th consecutive national championship. I do think Cuse could win this game tho, they will need to be dominant on the defensive end, keep winning that draw and needing the Seniors to step up.

National Championship:
BC vs. Northwestern — NW wins by 2-3

Northwestern just looks too good to not win it this postseason. BC will put up a good fight but NW 2-peats with Taylor, Scane and Coykendall putting on another show in the final.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

LaxUpstate wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:40 am It’s hard to beat the same team 3 times in a season. For that reason only, I’ll say Cuse wins.
Not impossible though. Northwestern beat Michigan three times last season. North Carolina beat Boston College three times in 2022.
2004wrongisland

Post by 2004wrongisland »

It’s easier to win the third game if you’ve won the first two. If you look at NFL football stats if teams play for the third time in a season and team A won the first two , they have a 60-66.7 % chance of winning the third game. Its 56% in NCAA basketball. The bottom line is that BC is more likely than not to win on statistics alone. And I think they are the better team.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

2004wrongisland wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:04 pm It’s easier to win the third game if you’ve won the first two. If you look at NFL football stats if teams play for the third time in a season and team A won the first two, they have a 60-66.7 % chance of winning the third game. Its 56% in NCAA basketball. The bottom line is that BC is more likely than not to win on statistics alone. And I think they are the better team.
Tell that to the 1985 VU Wildcats and Rollie. But I agree that Cuse needs to get out of their own heads.
belleoftheball

Post by belleoftheball »

Agree with everything.

Rooting for Florida but I don't think they'll manage to tame the NW beast.

BC takes down Cuse for the third time.

Final: BC vs NW, BC wins by 2 in a relatively low scoring game. I think Acacia WW and Jen Kent will put together an excellent game plan for this one and learn from last year's mistakes.
OuttaNowhereWregget

belleoftheball wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:35 pm Final: BC vs NW, BC wins by 2 in a relatively low scoring game. I think Acacia WW and Jen Kent will put together an excellent game plan for this one and learn from last year's mistakes.
If BC wasn't able to beat Northwestern at home in Boston earlier this season, what will be the difference if they meet again for the final? Just curious.
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:05 pm
belleoftheball wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:35 pm Final: BC vs NW, BC wins by 2 in a relatively low scoring game. I think Acacia WW and Jen Kent will put together an excellent game plan for this one and learn from last year's mistakes.
If BC wasn't able to beat Northwestern at home in Boston earlier this season, what will be the difference if they meet again for the final? Just curious.
This!! BC has an incredible offense, but Northwestern is better. BC has an amazing defense but people don’t realize how hard it is to stop 3 current or former Tewaaraton finalists. Coykendall doesn’t need to score, she can find anyone on that field and help her teammates score. Doesn’t matter how good of a defender you are, Scane is the best player in college lacrosse right now and will find a way to score. Madison Taylor can easily dodge through a defense and score. Overall, Northwestern’s offense is a huge threat and to say the national championship will be low scoring with Northwestern in it is silly
OuttaNowhereWregget

uncfan1013 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:16 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:05 pm If BC wasn't able to beat Northwestern at home in Boston earlier this season, what will be the difference if they meet again for the final? Just curious.
This!! BC has an incredible offense, but Northwestern is better. BC has an amazing defense but people don’t realize how hard it is to stop 3 current or former Tewaaraton finalists. Coykendall doesn’t need to score, she can find anyone on that field and help her teammates score. Doesn’t matter how good of a defender you are, Scane is the best player in college lacrosse right now and will find a way to score. Madison Taylor can easily dodge through a defense and score. Overall, Northwestern’s offense is a huge threat and to say the national championship will be low scoring with Northwestern in it is silly
Agreed on all points.
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

Agree that it's all mental for Syracuse when it comes to BC. Trainor was of course an assistant at BC and Acacia-Walker just knows how she thinks/coaches or something. Syracuse has actually overachieved this year imo (lots of big wins and close losses against great teams while facing by far the toughest SOS in the country) and has the talent to win it all. It's certainly possible for them to finally overcome that BC mental hurtle.

I would not be surprised if Syracuse wins it all, I would not be surprised if BC pastes them.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Cuse hates playing BC more than any other team. Just a bad match-up for them. Cuse can win but BC clear favorite. BC v NU will be intriguing if it happens. If you go back and watch first BC v NU game. NU won first quarter and BC won next 3. BC defense much different now with Bakes now playing D and BC relying on mostly 3 middies. BC held Michigan, ND and Cuse to under 10 goals. Can they give up 12 to NU and Score 14. It is very possible.
OuttaNowhereWregget

thedisciple516 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:17 pm Agree that it's all mental for Syracuse when it comes to BC. Trainor was of course an assistant at BC and Acacia-Walker just knows how she thinks/coaches or something. Syracuse has actually overachieved this year imo (lots of big wins and close losses against great teams while facing by far the toughest SOS in the country) and has the talent to win it all. It's certainly possible for them to finally overcome that BC mental hurtle.

I would not be surprised if Syracuse wins it all, I would not be surprised if BC pastes them.
I disagree that Syracuse had the toughest SOS by far. Northwestern was right there, as was Maryland.

If Syracuse manages to get by BC, which I don't think is impossible, they'll have very little left in the tank for Northwestern. I'll be stunned if Syracuse wins it all this year.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:11 pm
2004wrongisland wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:04 pm It’s easier to win the third game if you’ve won the first two. If you look at NFL football stats if teams play for the third time in a season and team A won the first two, they have a 60-66.7 % chance of winning the third game. Its 56% in NCAA basketball. The bottom line is that BC is more likely than not to win on statistics alone. And I think they are the better team.
Tell that to the 1985 VU Wildcats and Rollie. But I agree that Cuse needs to get out of their own heads.
I once went to a basketball camp that Rollie guest spoke at. He threw a basketball at a kid that was lying down on the gym floor. 12 year old me about crapped myself :lol: :lol: :lol:
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

uncfan1013 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:16 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:05 pm
As good as BC's defense might be, they will still tire if Northwestern dominates possession, and Northwestern's draw team seems to match up well against BC's.

Scane, Taylor, and Coykendall had 24 points between the three of them against Penn last night. (Coykendall alone had 11.) And that's just those three. Containing one of them still leaves the other two to worry about along with the rest of NU's scorers, like Dylan Amonte and Lindsay Frank (who, incidentally, just had her best game of the season against Penn).

Should both BC and NU make it to the title game, I like NU's chances. They seem to be firing on all cylinders right now, and KAH's record in NCAA title games is much stronger than AWW's.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Lax101 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:35 pm Cuse hates playing BC more than any other team. Just a bad match-up for them. Cuse can win but BC clear favorite. BC v NU will be intriguing if it happens. If you go back and watch first BC v NU game. NU won first quarter and BC won next 3. BC defense much different now with Bakes now playing D and BC relying on mostly 3 middies. BC held Michigan, ND and Cuse to under 10 goals. Can they give up 12 to NU and Score 14. It is very possible.
Actually, if you go by the scoring, Northwestern won the first and third quarters, Boston the second and fourth. The final score is a bit misleading. Northwestern took a three goal lead towards the end of the first quarter. The margin was never less than three the rest of the game. For much of the game, the lead toggled back-and-forth between four and five. Boston scored two goals at the end to make the final score 14–11 though the game really wasn’t that close.

BC’s biggest weakness is in goal. Northwestern really has Dolce’s number; she has played poorly against the Wildcats. She had a pretty good game yesterday, but did not play well against Princeton.

But we are getting ahead of ourselves. There are two other semifinalists who may have something to say about how all this turns out.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

spidey44 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:48 pm
I once went to a basketball camp that Rollie guest spoke at. He threw a basketball at a kid that was lying down on the gym floor. 12 year old me about crapped myself :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: On brand, but back then no one even batted an eye, I am sure.
OuttaNowhereWregget

😐
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:26 pm
spidey44 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:48 pm
:lol: On brand, but back then no one even batted an eye, I am sure.
Nope and that kid didn't lay down again. And neither did anyone else.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”