Hobart 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FMUBart

Re: Hobart 2025

Post by FMUBart »

cooperstef wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:54 pm Levi Anderson is a bottom feeder merchant. He's not playing Bonnie's and it's evident. Another St. Joes regular season stud turned playoff dud. Love to see it.
I thought he seemed disinterested..or squeamish!
Overrated, nonetheless!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Over the last few years they more or less own us so we still have to acknowledge their quality even if they’ve got some people who we might love to hate.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Hebrewhammer

Post by Hebrewhammer »

Kevin Holtby ‘23 playing for Stevens against Roanoke at 7. heck dawg I’d die for him
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

Patterson stillwell Campbell Greene Envin Rhine. All gone. Not sure the specifics

I worried this was coming so assuming coaches did too. This is frustrating. We have to go to portal this year.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

I understand Patterson and stillwell were roommates and best friends. So wouldn’t be surprised if they land together somewhere. Clearly both leaving are connected.
brodad

Post by brodad »

Dang didn’t expect Evnin
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Holy crap! Well I guess we will see lots of new faces next year. Can they come back? I remember herlihy went to portal but came back. Or was that because he was grad?

I saw all the speculation about Patterson but to have two starters leave seems like a problem. We should have thrown money ant them. Unfortunate we can’t hear from coach until fall. Would love to hear what is going on. Great opportunity for incoming freshman.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Bartfromboston wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:16 am Holy crap! Well I guess we will see lots of new faces next year. Can they come back? I remember herlihy went to portal but came back. Or was that because he was grad?

I saw all the speculation about Patterson but to have two starters leave seems like a problem. We should have thrown money ant them. Unfortunate we can’t hear from coach until fall. Would love to hear what is going on. Great opportunity for incoming freshman.
Not such a catastrophe. Patterson, although good, was not going to make me forget truly great 'Bart attackmen such as Ryan Archer. And Rhine never would have been starting without Galiani getting injured back in the fall. If they weren't interested in staying, so what?
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Patterson was an incredible player. And might have been an archer in the future. I don’t get blowing off losing great players. Would you blame a leaking roof on bad weather? The so what is why would good players leave in big numbers. That’s a coach/culture issue that needs addressed.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Bartfromboston wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:39 am Patterson was an incredible player. And might have been an archer in the future. I don’t get blowing off losing great players. Would you blame a leaking roof on bad weather? The so what is why would good players leave in big numbers. That’s a coach/culture issue that needs addressed.
I'll stand by what I said. Never would be an Archer, Aslanian, or Holden, to name just a few of the recents. To go back many years to two of my favorites, not a Daryl Veltman or Nate Hill. Coaching/culture issue for sure, and a serious one.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

So, they hit the portal tomorrow? What is the protocol for this sort of thing? I would think the AD would do an exit interview with everyone who goes to the portal. And, since the numbers are so low at Hobart these days, I would think there would be some sort of admissions/academic exit interview too. The school throws scholarship money at people, so cost is not an issue, and I'd be surprised if Patterson didn't have an athletic scholarship anyway.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

This won't be a popular post, but I am also wondering whether, if they are hitting the portal, were they really mentally here this year? Maybe the team dynamics were not what they were said to be on the podcasts.
I'm really disappointed, but at the same time there seems to be little to do about it. So I am with Ketch's post: Blow it up and start again. And BartfromBoston: great opportunity for incoming freshman.
Even if they hit the portal but don't leave, it will take exceptional coaching talent to bring them back on-board as fully integrated team members. It's one thing if a senior hits the portal thinking of grad school. But if a freshman hits the portal, you've got to think they will hit it again the next year and the next.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:53 am This won't be a popular post, but I am also wondering whether, if they are hitting the portal, were they really mentally here this year? Maybe the team dynamics were not what they were said to be on the podcasts.
I'm really disappointed, but at the same time there seems to be little to do about it. So I am with Ketch's post: Blow it up and start again. And BartfromBoston: great opportunity for incoming freshman.
Even if they hit the portal but don't leave, it will take exceptional coaching talent to bring them back on-board as fully integrated team members. It's one thing if a senior hits the portal thinking of grad school. But if a freshman hits the portal, you've got to think they will hit it again the next year and the next.
I agree with everything you said except one piece. I can’t imagine you joined a school, started, leading scorer but yet wasn’t there mentally. I suspect the players aren’t being honest with coaches or coaches don’t want feedback. Could be both. But it’s a time for reflection and trying to understand what can be fixed. And if the answer is that the kids are not hobart men I might throw up.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:53 am This won't be a popular post, but I am also wondering whether, if they are hitting the portal, were they really mentally here this year? Maybe the team dynamics were not what they were said to be on the podcasts.
I'm sure these players were all in to start the season and grew disenchanted as the season went on. While the players can't run the team, having so many pick up and leave tells me there wasn't a lot honest of communication between players and coaches. If this doesn't get Raymond to re-evaluate himself and his coaching methods, then it's time for a change. You don't have that kind of talent leave for no reason. Time for him and his staff to WAKE TF UP!!
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

These defections are far worse than I was anticipating. Having said that, this is the time for Raymond to hit the portal himself and stop being so stubborn. Patterson is the only one that really concerns me. The others, save Rhine, weren't impactful and glad DiTomasso is apparently staying. I'm with Ketch re: Patterson, good player(hardly "incredible"), but not an Archer or Aslanian or Holden, nor was he getting teams best pole. Further, what starting attackman only has 6a for the season unless you're a crease guy? Gotta believe Raymond is feeling the pressure. I suppose the most disturbing aspect--given his aversion to the portal and wanting to "develop" guys that want to be Hobart men--it hurts to lose so many freshman. Unless they were recruiting misses to begin with.. Those 12.6 scholarships can't get here soon enough.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:22 am
Bartfromboston wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:16 am Holy crap! Well I guess we will see lots of new faces next year. Can they come back? I remember herlihy went to portal but came back. Or was that because he was grad?

Not such a catastrophe. Patterson, although good, was not going to make me forget truly great 'Bart attackmen such as Ryan Archer. And Rhine never would have been starting without Galiani getting injured back in the fall. If they weren't interested in staying, so what?
I mean postiivty and all...come on. When have we had 3-4 key players/starters and predominatnly underclassmen bounce in one year?

I cant imagine this is ignored institutionally but you never know. It guarantees another rough year next year which starts to build a nasty multiyear trend and curve desperately needed to be broken.

But lets not get all Kevin Bacon at the end of animal house here.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bartfromboston wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:39 am Patterson was an incredible player. And might have been an archer in the future. I don’t get blowing off losing great players. Would you blame a leaking roof on bad weather? The so what is why would good players leave in big numbers. That’s a coach/culture issue that needs addressed.
https://www.fltimes.com/sports/college- ... 5ce05.html
See Martin, Malcolm
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Rumor has it there's close to a thousand names in the portal. That doesn't suggest its a "coaching" issue
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

6ftstick wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:43 pm Rumor has it there's close to a thousand names in the portal. That doesn't suggest its a "coaching" issue
When 2 of them are Freshmen starters and the other 2 had numerous offers from other good colleges, it tells me there might be.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I think the upside for patterson is higher than some here but regardless he's the best offensive player to come here in 6-7yrs (2017 -2018). More than half a decade.

The mindset is different for kids now on the portal. They'll test it and dont believe the cost of doing so is very high. Also dont discount the high "switching costs" and need an appropriate budget at acquiring team in terms of scholarship mix.

Upshot is its not good when a realtively high caliber FR is even considering leaving. You should be able to ensure the kid is on lock baring exogenous variables like family illness/injury farther away or the major not being there that the kid decides he wants. But if that kid is looking at leaving now? A kid like patterson the coach generally be locking down. At a minimum you'd like (as ad) to have a clear understanding of where the relationship/communication broke down that hsi happened. You don't just waive your hand and say, eh he wasn't really a stateman anyways.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”