Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/63390

IL Media All-Americans

1st - Smith
3rd - Martin
HM - Angelus
HM - Degnon
HM - Collison
HM - Ierlan
There were not 21 defensemen in the country better than szuluk-who won 3 weekly b1g defenseman of the week awards-this year.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:28 pm Survive and advance. Not pretty but got the job done. Needless to say they need to play a lot better than that to beat Virginia.

Back to back quarterfinals for the first time in a decade. If you had said at the start of the season that they'd win the B1G regular season, be the #3 seed, and play a game at Towson with a chance to go to the Final Four, everyone would have taken it. But can't help but feel like they've got at least one more game to win. Think the adage "no one remembers a quarterfinalist" is pretty true. I'm sure the belief is much higher in the locker room than it is on this forum.

Will miss seeing Degnon, Angelus, Szuluk, and many others on Homewood. Glad they ended it with a win. But more to do.
I think for most fans, anything short of a Final Four would be disappointing.

The team is probably focused on Virginia now. They will play next Sunday for the opportunity to stay together for one more week as a team.

I suspect the seniors and grads who are in their last season won’t be satisfied with anything less than a national championship. They didn’t come to Hopkins to “compete” for a national championship, they came to Hopkins to win it.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:30 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/63390

IL Media All-Americans

1st - Smith
3rd - Martin
HM - Angelus
HM - Degnon
HM - Collison
HM - Ierlan
There were not 21 defensemen in the country better than szuluk-who won 3 weekly b1g defenseman of the week awards-this year.
Agree.

Just gets lost in Smith’s shadow.

The new QK probably deserves HM AA as well.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:41 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:28 pm Survive and advance. Not pretty but got the job done. Needless to say they need to play a lot better than that to beat Virginia.

Back to back quarterfinals for the first time in a decade. If you had said at the start of the season that they'd win the B1G regular season, be the #3 seed, and play a game at Towson with a chance to go to the Final Four, everyone would have taken it. But can't help but feel like they've got at least one more game to win. Think the adage "no one remembers a quarterfinalist" is pretty true. I'm sure the belief is much higher in the locker room than it is on this forum.

Will miss seeing Degnon, Angelus, Szuluk, and many others on Homewood. Glad they ended it with a win. But more to do.
I think for most fans, anything short of a Final Four would be disappointing.

The team is probably focused on Virginia now. They will play next Sunday for the opportunity to stay together for one more week as a team.

I suspect the seniors and grads who are in their last season won’t be satisfied with anything less than a national championship. They didn’t come to Hopkins to “compete” for a national championship, they came to Hopkins to win it.

DocBarrister
Agreed. Win or bust. Difficult journey ahead to put it lightly.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Good win for Hopkins against a Lehigh team playing very well. Fantastic in-game coaching adjustment for the Jays in switching up FOGOs, and the depth to do that will continue to be crucial down the stretch. As others have noted, in this rematch with UVA the fact that UVA will have its top FOGO Ghobriel this time (57%) could be significant, as JHU had a 20-14 edge at faceoffs against UVA FOGOs who were at 50% and 45% for the season. UVA can have its issues (goaltending can be streaky) but they are a tough draw at the 6 seed.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:42 am Good win for Hopkins against a Lehigh team playing very well. Fantastic in-game coaching adjustment for the Jays in switching up FOGOs, and the depth to do that will continue to be crucial down the stretch. As others have noted, in this rematch with UVA the fact that UVA will have its top FOGO Ghobriel this time (57%) could be significant, as JHU had a 20-14 edge at faceoffs against UVA FOGOs who were at 50% and 45% for the season. UVA can have its issues (goaltending can be streaky) but they are a tough draw at the 6 seed.
They are all tough draws at this point. Ignoring the results over the weekend which seemed out of place, most of the tournament teams are tough draws. Obviously some are tougher than others. But, the 5-8 seeds are Denver, UVA, UMD, and G-town. I think ND will have the easiest time. Not that G-town is any slouch but ND will want to avenge their only loss of the season.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

So the much hoped for goalie savior for next year is gone (HF16 posted the Princeton goalie is headed to Chapel Hill) - that will lead to much speculation and hand wringing once this season ends
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Incoming 4* Goalie Andrew Cook is no slouch. Don’t always need a grad transfer.

https://www.tplax.com/tp-completes-5-peat-vs-cathedral/
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:06 am So the much hoped for goalie savior for next year is gone (HF16 posted the Princeton goalie is headed to Chapel Hill) - that will lead to much speculation and hand wringing once this season ends
Would have been cool to land him, but I've gotta say that epic dud vs. Maryland this weekend makes it a bit less a disappointing.

UNC needs the help. Perhaps Mike G. will save Breschi's job.

As for the Jays — there will be four 4-star goalies on the roster next year. Surely one of them will be able to stop the ball. I think the bigger concern is the fleet of experienced SSDMs that walk out the door, although Monfort coming in helps and TBD on Raposo's status. DiCicco from Lawrenceville might also be a Day 1 contributor.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I didn't say Hopkins needed him necessarily - I am all for getting off the 1 year rentals - I was just pointing out that he was an oft mentioned "hope" especially given Chayse's performance this year.

At SSDM - someone tell me they can keep Claiborne and Billings healthy - if they can run and understand the defense - they certainly qualify for Dickie V's All Airport SSDMs - they look like they were built in a lab to play the position. Billings looks like a D1 strong safety. Colhoun is over 6 ft and 200 lbs as well.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

"Virginia limps into the tourney struggling on defense, in the cage and lacking firepower and depth at the midfield. Pummeled by defeats against Notre Dame (twice), at Syracuse and at Duke, you have to wonder whether the Hoos can re-kindle their previous form. This will be a confidence game for UVA. Can they hit the reset button? Will they step forward and find improvemt....I wouldn’t be surprised to see three things. 1) a mix of zone defense – Injuries to their SSDM spot has taken a toll on their man-to-man scheme. Their off-ball defense has become unreliable. Slides and recoveries are a mess. Lars Tiffany has to tinker at this stage. Regardless they’ve got to simplify the man-to-man schemes and become brilliant at the basics. 2) personnel shifting at the midfield/attack 3) a goalie change – which quite honestly won’t matter if they continue to bungle assignments. UVA has a defense problem, not a goalie problem. "

From Quints UVA preview of their first round game.
https://laxallstars.com/welcome-to-roun ... ournament/

From the UVA message board-they're 1-3 in games decided by 3 goals or less, Hopkins is 6-4.
https://virginia.sportswar.com/message_ ... 00130f7e8d

They seem like a very streaky team. Either it's all working or they get stuck and completely lost.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:07 am "Virginia limps into the tourney struggling on defense, in the cage and lacking firepower and depth at the midfield. Pummeled by defeats against Notre Dame (twice), at Syracuse and at Duke, you have to wonder whether the Hoos can re-kindle their previous form. This will be a confidence game for UVA. Can they hit the reset button? Will they step forward and find improvemt....I wouldn’t be surprised to see three things. 1) a mix of zone defense – Injuries to their SSDM spot has taken a toll on their man-to-man scheme. Their off-ball defense has become unreliable. Slides and recoveries are a mess. Lars Tiffany has to tinker at this stage. Regardless they’ve got to simplify the man-to-man schemes and become brilliant at the basics. 2) personnel shifting at the midfield/attack 3) a goalie change – which quite honestly won’t matter if they continue to bungle assignments. UVA has a defense problem, not a goalie problem. "

From the UVA message board-they're 1-3 in games decided by 3 goals or less, Hopkins is 6-4.

They seem like a very streaky team. Either it's all working or they get stuck and completely lost.
And with all that they head to Towson as the odds favorite to beat the Jays.

UVA is dangerous and the Jays looked vulnerable against Lehigh. If they play like that next weekend they will be boat raced by UVA.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:02 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:07 am "Virginia limps into the tourney struggling on defense, in the cage and lacking firepower and depth at the midfield. Pummeled by defeats against Notre Dame (twice), at Syracuse and at Duke, you have to wonder whether the Hoos can re-kindle their previous form. This will be a confidence game for UVA. Can they hit the reset button? Will they step forward and find improvemt....I wouldn’t be surprised to see three things. 1) a mix of zone defense – Injuries to their SSDM spot has taken a toll on their man-to-man scheme. Their off-ball defense has become unreliable. Slides and recoveries are a mess. Lars Tiffany has to tinker at this stage. Regardless they’ve got to simplify the man-to-man schemes and become brilliant at the basics. 2) personnel shifting at the midfield/attack 3) a goalie change – which quite honestly won’t matter if they continue to bungle assignments. UVA has a defense problem, not a goalie problem. "

UVA is dangerous and the Jays looked vulnerable against Lehigh. If they play like that next weekend they will be boat raced by UVA.
Hopkins has looked vulnerable for weeks. UVA is the best team the program has played since Syracuse. In the Petro era I'd be very worried about a 19-8 ACC beatdown but this is a different Coach and it seems like a roster with a higher floor with more depth and talent at positions like ssdm/lsm.

Regarding the Princeton goalie and any transfers for next year my first question has always been whether PM is a "Try to win a title in 2025" or "We had 15 srs/7 grad students this year and at some point we need to think long term and put guys out there who are going to also win in 26/27/28". To me just making the ncaa tournament next year will be a big success.

A lot of people hate this forum and probably my posts but that sabre uva forum where you can only see one post at a time really sucks. That has to be really annoying to use.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

No one beats Virginia by playing things safe. Blue Jays need to take the game to the Cavaliers early and continue to play aggressively all over the field for four quarters.

Shellenberger and Cormier are not going down without a fight.

Hopkins played the first game like they were playing with house money … nothing to lose. They need to play the same way on Sunday.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:27 pm Regarding the Princeton goalie and any transfers for next year my first question has always been whether PM is a "Try to win a title in 2025" or "We had 15 srs/7 grad students this year and at some point we need to think long term and put guys out there who are going to also win in 26/27/28". To me just making the ncaa tournament next year will be a big success.
Don't see why any of that has to be true. Might turn out to be but Hopkins is not without some people to play in 2025. For example - whie the loss of Degnon is impactful - what happens when you give his 115+ shots to Chauvette instead of 40? If Smith returns you have 2 superstars on close D - Brown seems to have resurrected his game - Deans might return and you have a stable of longpoles coming up. Melendez could return maybe lighter/healthier and more confident - Ayers would be much more comfortable in a qb role than a dodging middie. 2/3rds of your 1st mid-field could be returning if Bauer comes back and one can always hope about English. Interesting freshmen that never played and some nice recruits. Much work to do on Sunday - but 2025 is not a kick the can down the road year.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

How are people feeling about matching up with UVA?

This feels to me like the Jays are coming off a complete clunker of a game and UVA seems to have found their stride after a real rough patch.

I’m hopeful but to borrow a Star Wars gag - "I have a bad feeling about this"
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:27 pm

Hopkins has looked vulnerable for weeks. UVA is the best team the program has played since Syracuse. In the Petro era I'd be very worried about a 19-8 ACC beatdown but this is a different Coach and it seems like a roster with a higher floor with more depth and talent at positions like ssdm/lsm.

Regarding the Princeton goalie and any transfers for next year my first question has always been whether PM is a "Try to win a title in 2025" or "We had 15 srs/7 grad students this year and at some point we need to think long term and put guys out there who are going to also win in 26/27/28". To me just making the ncaa tournament next year will be a big success.

A lot of people hate this forum and probably my posts but that sabre uva forum where you can only see one post at a time really sucks. That has to be really annoying to use.
I'm not sure how you can say UVa is the best team they played when UVa looked terrible in their last 4 games before the tournament. Who actually knows what was the best team.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

flalax22 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:45 pm How are people feeling about matching up with UVA?

This feels to me like the Jays are coming off a complete clunker of a game and UVA seems to have found their stride after a real rough patch.

Team feels better about this than most on this forum I surmise.

Post by 1766 »

I'm no Hopkins fan, or Uva for that matter, but it's hard to watch that Hopkins game and extrapolate much to the following week. The weather alone made that game hard to decipher. To quote the late great Jimmy V, survive and advance. Hopkins did, as did Uva.

It should be noted that St. Joe's play a much more open style allowing Uva to play how they want, failed early clears aside. Hopkins defense is much better individually and collectively. Uva are the favorites but this has the makings of a much different game than the one played against St. Josephs.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:45 pm How are people feeling about matching up with UVA?

I think it's natural to be "worrisome" or concerned vs. a team that has such notable individuals such as Shellenberger/Cormier/Kaestner/Wayer etc. Sometimes the sum of the parts has not been what Hoos fans would hope but it's very hard to beat a good team twice. I do disagree that Sunday was a "clunker" and that UVA has necessarily found their stride - maybe they have - but the chasm between the St. Joe's and Lehigh defensive ability was pretty far and wide in my opinion. I think the some of the keys are:
- Chayse played very well the first time around - 16 saves - has to replicate something similar
- Hopkins was pretty much even in turnovers and failed clears with UVA in the first game
- Hopkins shot the ball well once again - 16/42 - 38%
- Won the ground ball battle - indisputably on the back of the face-off advantage - still - non F/O man gbs was only 33-29 UVA
- Hopkins got worked on EMO - UVA was 3/4

oh - that and harder dodging

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”